• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Subliminal Messages (1 Viewer)

RedBema

A Bema that is Red
RedCents
121¢
I have been watching a guy called Derren Brown lately on the Sci-Fi channel. If you have never seen this guy, here is an example,

[YT]befugtgikMg[/YT]

The stream is crappy, but you get the idea...

Anyways, needless to say, this really interests me. This guy is a master at mind manipulation, magic, and showmanship. I have seen him use his mind tricks to pick up women, get free money, and even manipulate a psychiatrist's next thought.

I was wondering if anyone has ever happened to delve into this type of stuff. Subliminal messaging... Has anyone ever read any books on it or had any kind of education on it at all?

Not to tute my own horn... But thats how i sell insurrenses =)

This stuff really works.. And NO ONE is to sharp to notice it.... NO ONE =)

Now hate me all you want but I have to make my money some how.. You prolly do stuff you dont like sometimes too (allthough i sort of like screwing with ppl like this)

-decker

Actually he doesn't stage his stuff (supposedly) although there is one that was live with russian roulette.

I also call BS when they do this stuff with actors. That's Simon Pegg in the first video.

That second video...yeah right, who would really do that?

There are plenty of shows that go on for a long time without people knowing it's staged, like Jerry Springer, this show is probably one of them.

These are rather mundane examples of the powers of the mind. The 2nd video may not be faked, but I'd bet they had to go through tons of takes on other people before they got a guy that stupid.

Derren Brown has been around in the UK for years and years and in a lot of his "tricks" he explains how they're done and why the human mind accepts what it's told... As an example have a look a the stage version of "Something Wicked This Way Walks" where he does the "newspaper trick"

Personally I'd suggest doing perhaps a LITTLE research before saying that these aren't real... The second one is known as the "Russian Scam" and is a well-known method of NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming)

If NLP interests you I'd suggest Joseph Conner's NLP Workbook as further reading material.

I apologize for making assumptions without looking into the matter, but using an actor does make it suspicious, as do many other things.

I looked up what you mentioned Black, and while looking for it i found this video. The lack of oxygen trance he goes into is simply fake. Around the 1930s there were many people who claimed they could help people talk to their dead family members and they would commonly go into such trances, many of these trances (including those that stop blood flow) were proved to be false by Houdini.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNI_46cOsM8

I'm not saying that everything he does is false, far from it, but when he does stuff like go into trances where he doesn't need oxygen for a while it makes him much less credible in my eyes.

Last edited:
I agree about actors completely but Derren states before anything he does, "magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship" - He also states that he never uses actors or stooges and based on my NLP readings etc I can see that there's simply no need to... Why use an actor when you can use real people and just manipulate them into things? ;)

Some things he does are obviously "fake" (i.e. they're illusions, tricks etc) such as chess games against masters and the stopping of his pulse (a well-known trick of holding a hard ball in your arm-pit and thus stopping the blood flow through your artery for a short time) but a lot of it such as the Russian Scam, the newspaper trick etc are pure mind manipulation. :)

Hotter said:
These are rather mundane examples of the powers of the mind. The 2nd video may not be faked, but I'd bet they had to go through tons of takes on other people before they got a guy that stupid.

Yeah, I agree.

That may be a "real" scam, but I don't see it working on anyone of even low-to-high IQ.

BlackObsidian said:
I agree about actors completely but Derren states before anything he does, "magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship" - He also states that he never uses actors or stooges and based on my NLP readings etc I can see that there's simply no need to... Why use an actor when you can use real people and just manipulate them into things? ;)

Some things he does are obviously "fake" (i.e. they're illusions, tricks etc) such as chess games against masters and the stopping of his pulse (a well-known trick of holding a hard ball in your arm-pit and thus stopping the blood flow through your artery for a short time) but a lot of it such as the Russian Scam, the newspaper trick etc are pure mind manipulation. :)

You're kidding right? I think I pointed out that the first video involves an actor. =p

Regardless, some of it's entertaining, whether it's real or not. Just like wrestling, 1% of the time. /duck

The discussion about the human psyche and how to control it has been around for centuries. There are many things about it that psychologist and other professionalists don't know or don't tell, because some methods are just too dangerous to be used or taught to your regular Joe. I had a long talk with my high school psychology teacher on the matter in my last year and was amazed on some of the tricks used :)

Anyway, there is a little of psychology involved everywhere: I use it on a regular basics in my card trick routines. I agree it's a risky buiseness, but it's fun :)

darkeros said:
You're kidding right? I think I pointed out that the first video involves an actor. =p

Regardless, some of it's entertaining, whether it's real or not. Just like wrestling, 1% of the time. /duck

Urm... Not sure if you're being deliberately pedantic or if you're not aware of the context meant in regard to "actors"... If he's using celebrities or famous actors (such as Simon Pegg in the first video) then it follows that he's doing so because everybody knows them and thus it adds to the entertainment value.

If he was using "actors" or "stooges" he's almost definitely be pulling them off the street so that nobody knows them (and thus the audience think the trick's real) - And in THAT case can you imagine how much he'd need to pay these people to keep them quiet about how a trick is done? lol

Derren did one of the "medium" tricks to where he acted as if he could talk to the dead. Before he did the "trick," he stated that he was NOT a medium,nor could he talk to the dead, and that his sole purpose was to show you how easy it is to trick people in their most emotional of times.

He even stated, something to the effect of, "If this makes you feel uncomfortable, well... that is kind of the point."

Personally, I do not call "shennanigans" on this guy. I think that he is a master mind manipulator, and I don't think that the best of actors/actresses could respond in the way that the people off of the street do. We all have a subconscious mind, and he just knows how to speak directly to it.

He constantly notes that he uses a mix of psychology, magic, showmanship, and trickery to perform what he does. Obviously, the magic if fake, but the psychological factor's involved are true.

I think it is very interesting!

BlackObsidian said:
Urm... Not sure if you're being deliberately pedantic or if you're not aware of the context meant in regard to "actors"... If he's using celebrities or famous actors (such as Simon Pegg in the first video) then it follows that he's doing so because everybody knows them and thus it adds to the entertainment value.

If he was using "actors" or "stooges" he's almost definitely be pulling them off the street so that nobody knows them (and thus the audience think the trick's real) - And in THAT case can you imagine how much he'd need to pay these people to keep them quiet about how a trick is done? lol

You've got me wrong. I should have differentiated between "stars" and "actors". Simon Pegg is somewhat of a star. When shows like this get those people on, it's in the "star's" best interest to make it look good, even if it didn't happen. It's going on TV, so it's in their best interest to make it memorable, so people will remember them.

If it's in their best interest to act as if it's true, whether it is or not, then it makes me very skeptical as to the authenticity. That's the point, not that he's just using an actor, although that would burn him as well, imo.

I can see what you mean by stars making it look good whether it happened or not but I also think it's hard to "act" surprised, especially when there are cameras on you etc. I know it's their profession to 'act' as such but I for one think it'd be a lot easier and cheaper to pick random people off the street. *shrug*

IamNotEmo said:
You'd think the people on the streets would look up at the camera more... just out of curiosity.

If you notice, when he is on the street "tricking" people, the camera is usually at a distance, out of sight.

Whenever he is doing "mind manipulation" and the people already know that he is up to something, the camera is in sight.

Subliminal Messages

Users who are viewing this thread

Back