• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Steve Irwin (1 Viewer)

Devlin

RedCents
130¢
CAIRNS, Australia - Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and conservationist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray while filming off the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44.

Irwin was at Batt Reef, off the remote coast of northeastern Queensland state, shooting a segment for a series called "Ocean's Deadliest" when he swam too close to one of the animals, which have a poisonous barb on their tails, his friend and colleague John Stainton said.

"He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

Crew members aboard the boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead when they arrived a short time later, Stainton said.

Irwin was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchword "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter." First broadcast in Australia in 1992, the program was picked up by the Discovery network, catapulting Irwin to international celebrity.

He rode his image into a feature film, 2002's "The Crocodile Hunters: Collision Course" and developed the wildlife park that his parents opened, Australia Zoo, into a major tourist attraction.

"The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," Stainton told reporters in Cairns. "He died doing what he loved best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. He would have said, 'Crocs Rule!'"

Prime Minister John Howard, who hand-picked Irwin to attend a gala barbecue to honor President Bush when he visited in 2003, said he was "shocked and distressed at Steve Irwin's sudden, untimely and freakish death."

"It's a huge loss to Australia," Howard told reporters. "He was a wonderful character. He was a passionate environmentalist. He brought joy and entertainment and excitement to millions of people."

Irwin, who made a trademark of hovering dangerously close to untethered crocodiles and leaping on their backs, spoke in rapid-fire bursts with a thick Australian accent and was almost never seen without his uniform of khaki shorts and shirt and heavy boots.

Wild animal expert Jack Hanna, who frequently appears on TV with his subjects, offered praise for Irwin.

"Steve was one of these guys, we thought of him as invincible," Hanna, director emeritus of the Columbus (Ohio) Zoo and Aquarium, told ABC's "Good Morning America" Monday.

"The guy was incredible. His knowledge was incredible," Hanna said. "Some people that are doing this stuff are actors and that type of thing, but Steve was truly a zoologist, so to speak, a person who knew what he was doing. Yes, he did things a lot of people wouldn't do. I think he knew what he was doing."

Irwin's ebullience was infectious and Australian officials sought him out for photo opportunities and to promote Australia internationally.

His public image was dented, however, in 2004 when he caused an uproar by holding his infant son in one arm while feeding large crocodiles inside a zoo pen. Irwin claimed at the time there was no danger to the child, and authorities declined to charge Irwin with violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken against him.

Stingrays have a serrated, toxin-loaded barb, or spine, on the top of their tail. The barb, which can be up to 10 inches long, flexes if a ray is frightened. Stings usually occur to people when they step on or swim too close to a ray and can be excruciatingly painful but are rarely fatal, said University of Queensland marine neuroscientist Shaun Collin.

Collin said he suspected Irwin died because the barb pierced under his ribcage and directly into his heart.

"It was extraordinarily bad luck. It's not easy to get spined by a stingray and to be killed by one is very rare," Collin said.

News of Irwin's death spread quickly, and tributes flowed from all quarters of society.

At Australia Zoo at Beerwah, south Queensland, floral tributes were dropped at the entrance, where a huge fake crocodile gapes. Drivers honked their horns as they passed.

"Steve, from all God's creatures, thank you. Rest in peace," was written on a card with a bouquet of native flowers.

"We're all very shocked. I don't know what the zoo will do without him. He's done so much for us, the environment and it's a big loss," said Paula Kelly, a local resident and volunteer at the zoo, after dropping off a wreath at the gate.

Stainton said Irwin's American-born wife Terri, from Eugene, Ore., had been informed of his death, and had told their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

The couple met when she went on vacation in Australia in 1991 and visited Irwin's Australia Zoo; they were married six months later. Sometimes referred to as the "Crocodile Huntress," she costarred on her husband's television show and in his 2002 movie.

RIP Steve.
He died doing something he loved,
something that everyone wishes to
do when they're on their last breath.

Dangg, bye bye Steve :(

Crikey!

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

tis a shame though, he was a crazy but fun bloke!

*ignores the MANY joke emails about Steve Irwin currently residing in his inbox*

This is an extremely sad day for most of the world.
Especially Australia and New Zealand.

Steve Erwin was a Celebrity, a role model, and a father of two children.
And an amazing man.

Alot of people liked to prod and poke him with jokes.

but atleast he died doing what he truly loved, not many people in the world today do something they enjoy.

I would have assume that a crocodile would have eaten him...or at least the funeral would have consisted of a crocodile eating his dead body.

Ok, I know I am gonna get flamed for this but...

This is my opinion on the matter.

He was a guy who did stupid shit for TV. Wrestling crocodiles, pissing them off etc. He wasn't the most intelligent cookie. It was only a matter of time before something fought back. Now, I KNOW stingrays aren't dangerous unless frightened. They are NOT aggressive animals... and what pisses me off is now people are going to think that stingrays are evil aggressive creatures when they aren't. The dumbfuck producer called it an attack and claimed Steve did nothing to provoke/frighten it, which I know for a fact is a bunch of shit. Knowing what he does for TV it wouldn't surprise me if the assclown grabbed it or something. Once again, stingrays will only attack if they feel threatened. Mainly if you step on one.

Thats all I have to say.. I can't say that I miss him because I only watched his show once. IMO he got what was coming.

Flame away.

While I agree that something was bound to happen sooner or later in the line of work he did I think perhaps you should look into exactly what he was all about before commenting like that Erol.

While he did provoke animals and do some crazy shit the only reason he did so was to educate people into knowing about the animals, habitats, feeding etc. Someone who just did it for kicks wouldn't be such a pioneer and fighter for animals, animal rights etc

Erol-Tob said:
The dumbfuck producer called it an attack and claimed Steve did nothing to provoke/frighten it, which I know for a fact is a bunch of shit.

I'd question how you "know for a fact" bearing in mind that the ONLY witness to it was the camera man.

The dictionary definition of "attack" is "to set upon or work against forcefully" thus it WAS an attack, albeit an attack out of fear.

Erol-Tob said:
Knowing what he does for TV it wouldn't surprise me if the assclown grabbed it or something. Once again, stingrays will only attack if they feel threatened.

Apparently the stingray was buried in the sand and Steve didn't notice it...

Irwin's Manager said:
"He and the underwater cameraman went out to do some pieces on the reef and coral and stuff good for the kids' show and, unfortunately, he came out over the top of a stingray that was buried in the sand and the barb went up and hit him in the chest."

Irwin's Manager said:
"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone,"

May be an idea to re-word your post along the lines of "I can't say that I miss him because I only watched his show once." and be done with it?

Definition of Darwin.

Named in honor of Charles Darwin, a Darwin Award is a manifestation of Internet humor, a dubious/sarcastic/cynical honor awarded to those members of the species Homo sapiens who have improved the human gene pool by "removing themselves from it in a spectacularly stupid manner."

How did Irwin remove himself from the gene pool by doing something spectacularly stupid manner?

He didn't.

What you just said is incredibly stupid.

He did something he loved doing, he was a role-model to MANY people. He wasn't doing anything incredibly stupid.

HE WAS DOING SOMETHING HE LOVED DOING:

Educating people into knowing about the animals, habitats, feeding, attitudes etc.

Think before you speak.

I never really watched his show much, but I must say that this is probably the first "celebrity" I've ever gotten even slightly choked up about. He was a wildlife and animan rights activist who, as others have pointed out, loved what he did. My heart truly goes out to his wife and two children who now have to live without a husband/father because of a freak accident. The odds of him getting stung in the heart were almost nothing, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

He was a wonderful person, for those of us left who give a damn about the earth. He was also damn entertaining to watch. It was bad luck that he got pierced in the heart; otherwise he would have lived. You flamed yourself quite well already, Erol-Tob.

are there a bunch of steve irwin jokes on your servers too?.... especially in stranglethron vale?
or looking for group chat?
or trade chat in ironforge is another big one.(suramar US)

-Shutdown

ps: i too want to see the video. lol.

and if not, someone will make a FLASH video from the description of the attack from one of the camera guys prospective... LOL

(or use wow to animate it)

btw, i saw a crocolisk named steve in ironforge today. level 60. (pet)

Irwinbeta191.gif

There's bound to be some crocs up here. I'll use my croc call and try to bring 'em out. Brigeghus, brigeghus! Brig-!

1. THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS STEVE IRWIN, THE GOVERNMENT INVENTED HIM Theory
2. STEVE IRWIN WAS ACTUALLY A ROBOT Theory
3. ELVIS PRESLEY, STEVE IRWIN, AND JESUS CHRIST ARE ONE AND THE SAME Theory
4. STEVE IRWIN WAS ON THE GRASSY KNOLL Theory
5. IN AN ALTERNATE REALITY, STEVE IRWIN CONQUERED CANADA Theory
6. MCDONALD'S INTRODUCES NEW 'McRay' SANDWICH Theory
7. IN A PLOT CONTRIVED TO RAISE CHEESE PRICES, THE LEBANESE GOVERNMENT
COOPTED THE STINGRAYS TO ASSASSINATE TV PERSONALITIES WORLDWIDE. THE FIRST
STEP, BY REMOVING ALL OF THE PLASTIC IN NERF FOOTBALLS, ELROY JETSON BECAME
INFURIATED, AND, FUELED BY HIS LUST FOR ENRIQUE IGLESIAS, HE CREATED A
DEVICE THAT NOT ONLY MAKES STINGRAYS MORE DEADLY, BUT IT ALSO CAUSES AN
INCREASE IN EARWAX IN NORWEGIAN RATS. THIS INCREASE IN EARWAX SUBSEQUENTLY
MADE THE NORWEGIAN RATS MORE INTELLIGENT, AND THEY BEGAN TO INFILTRATE
NORWEGIAN CHEESE STORAGE FACILITIES, RAISING THE PRICE OF CHEESE. THE
LEBANESE, WHOSE CHEESE STORAGE WAS RIVALED ONLY BY THE NORWEGIANS, NOW HAVE
TOTAL CONTROL OF THE CHEESE MARKET. AS A SIDE EFFECT, CARL OF LAS CRUSES NEW
MEXICO, WHO LIVED SOLELY ON NORWEGIAN CHEESE, WAS NO LONGER CONSTIPATED,
AND, IN HIS ANGER OVER LOOSE STOOL, VOWED TO DESTROY ALL FORMS OF CYTOPLASM,
AND CAUSED THE END OF THE WORLD Theory.

The man made a living taunting lethal and deadly creatures. In the end, he truly did get the karma of natures' revenge. I find it hard to believe that there wasn't some sort of taunting that he was doing to the stingrays because he was out there making a movie about TAUNTING STINGRAYS! People go to the bahamas all the time on their 500 dollar Holiday Cruise and go swim with the stingrays. I even have done it. They are tame and docile creatures and I even saw someone step on one, they're not predators like sharks. The fact of the matter is look at the entire reason he was out there. Why would there be a camera crew if it was just a family outing? THINK PEOPLE! There's no reason to be this dull. And sure, he stood for a lot of good things like conservation of wildlife. But, just because you stand for wildlife conservation rights doesn't mean you need to go act like an idiot. Stingrays pop people in the feet, not in the chest. The man was screwing with one.

NEW YORK — "If I'm going to die," the late "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin said in a 2002 interview, "at least I want it filmed." - AP

This is a pretty sad subject. I,for one,cannot say i miss him, seeing as i barely paid attention to him. i DO know a few people who really loved him and are truely sorry he is gone.Although i do not Agree with Erol-Tob, i do belive that everyone is entitled to an opinion.

If your not sorry , then your not. If you are sorry, then you are. lets leave it at that. oh, and for all that want to know, i think i heard of a charity being held in australia. they are accepting Donations, flowers, cards, and Crocodile-skin Handbags.

Syko said:
and Crocodile-skin Handbags.

Steve Irwin was a nature conservationist...

lol.............................................................................. THAT WAS A JOKE
A RIDICUUALOUS THING TO BELIVE.....
SOMOENE CAMPE UP WIHTROFL ZORG THIS WHITE FONT OWNS, YEAH ILL SHHOW YOU ALL WIHT MY OWNAG:0E, whhat NOW????????????????????????????????????????????
THATS WHAT I THOUGHT~YEAH

WAHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet the smileis give it away :), but who carres, not me cuz i onwn son!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green yoda that post was incredibly sarcastic!
It's like giving Harriet Tubmen a Tommy Hilfiger shirt!
Sighs*
Grudgingly turns on sarcasm filter*

Devlin said:
Definition of Darwin.

Named in honor of Charles Darwin, a Darwin Award is a manifestation of Internet humor, a dubious/sarcastic/cynical honor awarded to those members of the species Homo sapiens who have improved the human gene pool by "removing themselves from it in a spectacularly stupid manner."

How did Irwin remove himself from the gene pool by doing something spectacularly stupid manner?

He didn't.

What you just said is incredibly stupid.

He did something he loved doing, he was a role-model to MANY people. He wasn't doing anything incredibly stupid.

HE WAS DOING SOMETHING HE LOVED DOING:

Educating people into knowing about the animals, habitats, feeding, attitudes etc.

Think before you speak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection

I did think before I spoke.

Ever hear of natural selection? He naturally removed himself from the gene pool. It just happens that he was exceptionally gifted at animal handling and prevented the inevitable from occurring sooner.

Devlin, comparing the work of Darwin to an internet award, especially since the internet wasn't around while Darwin was alive, is spectacular.

Steve Irwin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back