• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Click "RG3" at the very bottom-left of this page to change it. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Slow zoning and High CPU useage (1 Viewer)

RedCents
971¢
I am boxing 30 accts. I am running into high CPU Useage and slow zoning times. Characters will zone but takes a long time to render all screens. I have great internet service with pings in the 30-40 range.

Sometimes all accts will freeze up and I generally have to reboot.

What can I do to speed up zoning times and fix problems?

System:
3900 Ryzen
3070TI
64 gig
2tb NVME

Software:
Win 11
ISBoxer
RG MacroQuest build

EQ:
New Models off
Low settings for all
Mip mapping/dynamic lighting on
All other settings off

Sic

[sic]
RedCents
23,491¢
Since i do not use this on my laptop for my farm teams, it doesnt matter much!

Since ive completed it to the laptop, i can now run 12 toons with no problems and it doesnt sound like a jet engine now.

With the regard to LUA, maybe someone else can jump in for how this is effected. Not sure hot an xbox app would influence this.
It doesn't/shouldnt

RedCents
107¢
Interesting... I removed that while all 43 clients where running and added LUA scripts after the removal and had no problem - perhaps after relogin I get the bill. I will test that after the weekend.
What concerns me most and what I don't understand in any ways:

None of these tools showed ANY sign that my system is somehow at the limit:

- Coretemp (CPU temp)
- Task-Manager (overview of all CPU/GPU/ETHERNET/RAM/GPU-RAM)
- GPU-Z (GPU temp)
- CPUID HWMonitor (replacement for testing)

After my changes (s. above) and removal of a couple of plugins for starting all clients step by step instead of using autologin.dll from the start which seemed to kick the system to the "stuttering" edge and after stopping logs "/log off", I could load all clients at least for starting overseer (which kicks the CPU to 100% for a short time until /endmac). Using "/framelimiter bgfps 0" was great for playing a couple of groups but playing all in a raid drops the DPS into the cellar and is pretty useless in this setup. Using "/framelimiter bgfps 1" resulted in proper loading of all clients (with the usual case to case "no validation" or "an error occurred"-errors from the usual not working login-servers of DGB). After that I changed the "/framelimiter bgfps" according the the toons I played at the moment. Depending on the zones and the complexitiy of the graphics I had around 30-80% CPU consumption with these changes. Interesting is that the Task-Manager shows "100% GPU" while zoning which drops down to nothingness after the zones are loaded. The "stuttering/near freezes" started always when I loaded all clients at once. What I don't understand is why NONE of the tools show any sign of problems with the system performance at all when the "stuttering/freezes" occur.
Perhaps anybody else has an idea why?

Last edited:
RedCents
107¢
Short note about LUA:

- removed XBOX Game App
- checked Task-Manager - no Game App anymore present
- loaded EQ
- started /lua run buttonmaster -> worked
- started settings and Lua Task Manager -> worked
- activated Viewports in the settings
- dragged the windows to the second LCD-Screen (outside of EQ into the Windows Screen) -> worked

Where does LUA need that App? Didn't noticed any disfunctions.
And I normally don't use LUA outside of EQ but its a nice feature because accidentally switching screens while on LUA buttonmaster window makes the window/toon move/change slowly uncontrollable the axis of the screen, which is really nasty in a critical hasty situation. That above action does mean to me that Overlay indeed works without that App.

RedCents
152¢
After several ours of playtime sometimes I start to notice that the reaction time of chars seem to decrease. If that happens a log to char select fails for half of the team. Even if not camping to char select and continuing playing eventually I'll get cc's.

I created a Hotbutton:
/dggae /lua stop
/dggae /endmacro
/dggae /reloadui

After I used this hotbutton, all chars seem to run like eq has been started from scratch.
Also I can log to char select to log my buffing chars in for fresh buffs and can restart playing as I have been fresh logged in.

My interpretation is: /reloadui closes and restarts the eq-task(s) handling the ui, clearing also the memory leaks created during the past ours.
While /reloadui freezes the UI for a while, only maybe once in 50 times it causes a cc, for my feeling only when eq was running too long since the start or the last /reloadui.

Since I try to remember to /reloadui with this hotbutton after any about 5 ours of playing I don't get anymore cc while playing.

Sic

[sic]
RedCents
23,491¢
After several ours of playtime sometimes I start to notice that the reaction time of chars seem to decrease. If that happens a log to char select fails for half of the team. Even if not camping to char select and continuing playing eventually I'll get cc's.

I created a Hotbutton:
/dggae /lua stop
/dggae /endmacro
/dggae /reloadui

After I used this hotbutton, all chars seem to run like eq has been started from scratch.
Also I can log to char select to log my buffing chars in for fresh buffs and can restart playing as I have been fresh logged in.

My interpretation is: /reloadui closes and restarts the eq-task(s) handling the ui, clearing also the memory leaks created during the past ours.
While /reloadui freezes the UI for a while, only maybe once in 50 times it causes a cc, for my feeling only when eq was running too long since the start or the last /reloadui.

Since I try to remember to /reloadui with this hotbutton after any about 5 ours of playing I don't get anymore cc while playing.
Out of curiosity, are you using the new control+~ console for all your mq chat?

RedCents
424¢
Food for thought. I noticed today before work on my eq options window, they have listing now for FPS foreground and bground settings. WHat are some of yall using for this? Does MQ FPS override this? since we are on the topic of resources and such.

RedCents
107¢
Before EQ Next I used MQ2FPS and MQ2Viewport to shrink the wasting of resources.
After x64client and EQ Next I used /framelimiter bgfps / fgfps because I had big trouble with performance output and it has been removed.
Using /framelimiter bgfps 5-10 and /fgfps 30 for gameplay, bgfps 1 for minimum action which are not performance relevant but are necessary for a couple of macros to execute und bgfps 0 for parking toons or the usual mules and buffing stations or macros which have no problem with no window fps.

Advantage: system works with many toons
Disadvantage: mission or raids which are really performance relevant or at the edge of the dps score are nearly impossible to do
Solution: kicking all clients who are not really needed to boost dps (very sad)

To say that: before x64 and MQ Next I had much better overall dps in a raid config that since the changes. And I have to say I updated my whole system out of that reason and even then I need around 2-3 PCs for proper dps scores in raids which needs them. If not configured properly then the dps goes down 1/2 to 1/3 of possible normal output.

Perhaps I should test MQ2FPS and MQ2Viewport again. They didn't worked quite properly short after the changes to x64/Next so I changed and never tested them again.

brainiac

RedCents
8,421¢
Before EQ Next I used MQ2FPS and MQ2Viewport to shrink the wasting of resources.
After x64client and EQ Next I used /framelimiter bgfps / fgfps because I had big trouble with performance output and it has been removed.
Using /framelimiter bgfps 5-10 and /fgfps 30 for gameplay, bgfps 1 for minimum action which are not performance relevant but are necessary for a couple of macros to execute und bgfps 0 for parking toons or the usual mules and buffing stations or macros which have no problem with no window fps.

Advantage: system works with many toons
Disadvantage: mission or raids which are really performance relevant or at the edge of the dps score are nearly impossible to do
Solution: kicking all clients who are not really needed to boost dps (very sad)

To say that: before x64 and MQ Next I had much better overall dps in a raid config that since the changes. And I have to say I updated my whole system out of that reason and even then I need around 2-3 PCs for proper dps scores in raids which needs them. If not configured properly then the dps goes down 1/2 to 1/3 of possible normal output.

Perhaps I should test MQ2FPS and MQ2Viewport again. They didn't worked quite properly short after the changes to x64/Next so I changed and never tested them again.

There are a lot more settings than just bgfps/fgfps. you should check the framelimiter settings window.

RedCents
424¢
There are a lot more settings than just bgfps/fgfps. you should check the framelimiter settings window.
This was my main question. I have the MQ setup for framelimiter via sic's video but i am not sure if the EQ one can conflict with MQ or not.

My options in-game eq under the options window are:

-Foreground set @ 120 FPS
-Background set at 60 FPS

I havent changed these as i just noticed these were an option now ingame

RedCents
512¢
This was my main question. I have the MQ setup for framelimiter via sic's video but i am not sure if the EQ one can conflict with MQ or not.

My options in-game eq under the options window are:

-Foreground set @ 120 FPS
-Background set at 60 FPS

I havent changed these as i just noticed these were an option now ingame

There is no conflict. And if you play occasionally without MQ2 then you'll want reasonable values in-game. When you have multiple apps limiting frames the most restrictive is going to rule.

Users who are viewing this thread