• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - SK Powerlevel process (1 Viewer)

Trigun

RedCents
120¢
Hey all -- i fell into my normal trap of being an alt-aholic and decided i wanted my alts to be higher than 40-74/75. So with that i got a heroic 100 SK, as i've seen them PL groups in no time flat. I tried finding some videos on YT or other site talking about which agro spells are used and came up with nothing. Anyone have an outline they can share? This SK does not have the Honed Wurmslayer, which i did see referenced quite a bit, so i guess i need to get that 1st, but i would love to know the SK spell rotation to ensure i'm not inflicting damage so my alts can get all the XP. Appreciate any insight and for the record, i did search here and read a few other posts where folks are using mage+sk or dru+sk but that wouldnt work for me.

1. SK equips trophies or fishing poles to prevent riposte, unequips any augs that proc damage, etc
2. Unmem all intervention line spells on Clr
3. Buff SK self DS, cloak DS. Bard and mage DS can help here but not really necessary
4. On pulls use the SK AE jolt line of spells. The AA's are capped on how many mobs they hit, the spell is not.
5. Pull a pile of mobs, hit the pile with an AE beam or point blank after 1 or 2 rounds of AE SK aggro.
6. Profit?

There are a few PL guides around here, but @nerp basically set you up to succeed. I would add that if you're too high above the mobs you're pulling, you might want to wait to cast a DS until your PLees have done damage to the mobs so they don't die too quickly (this can also happen if your pull is just too big). This can probably be done with your Unity AA (class tab) if that's granted by heroics (I'm not positive it is).

Def recommend getting the Honed Wurmslayer, but iirc that's a 105 item and might be more of an investment in your sk than you intend. It has a perma 2.5k(?) damage reduction so when you get hit by the lowbies they will often do no damage to you.

Looks like the AE Jolt spell you want is level 99 Repugnance. Make sure you use the non-damaging one as you want your PLees to do the most damage on each mob other than DS (which doesn't count as SK damage).

Adding briefly that it helps to have your SK sit down while waiting for mobs to die. The DS will only proc when the SK gets hit so if their AC is too high it can take forever for the mobs to actually score a hit.

You guys are lost. Let me make it very easy. Level 1-10 do Level10 macro or go kill in n00b yard. Once you are level 10 you can now use the Golden Pick. Take SK, cleric and bard to The Grounds. Bring the n00bs. Pull 20-30 mobs and put your back to them with Wurmslayer. /Macro Hitall on the n00b. Probably 5-6 pulls of that until you are level 70. Cheers!

Most named mobs in HoT have AE's that will instagib your noobs, weed these out on the pull. They also summon after 1 or 2 hits so drop your DS before pulling there. SoD also has some good spots up thru the 70's. You'll find that Tash/Malo are required if you go too far above the PL's level, and sometimes even those aren't enough.

Yes your 95 can equip the Honed Wurmslayer and receive the damage reduction buff. I can't speak for the Invested version personally.
thought this was changed:

Or did i misunderstand that?

You guys are lost. Let me make it very easy. Level 1-10 do Level10 macro or go kill in n00b yard. Once you are level 10 you can now use the Golden Pick. Take SK, cleric and bard to The Grounds. Bring the n00bs. Pull 20-30 mobs and put your back to them with Wurmslayer. /Macro Hitall on the n00b. Probably 5-6 pulls of that until you are level 70. Cheers!

I'll definitely give this method a shot. i expect my experience will be a bit less dramatic since the toons are primarily 40+ with the exception of 2 or 3.

What i've done so far is i've tried 2 different teams:

Team 1: mid 40s -- all melee team (warrior, ranger, rogue, and bard), rounded up Giants in Gorakar Mesa with the SK, used the mass agro spell every time it was available. Had the bard play the level 2 damage song. At first the dying was slow using just the SK damage shields, so after the 3rd group of Giants, i had all the melee's start pounding on the giants to not only keep skills up but speed up the killing. In about 2hrs time, i gained about 4 levels on each toon which was so/so.

Team 2: low to mid 70s -- mixed team (Enchanter, SK, Monk, Cleric, Ranger and BST), grouped them with the SK and tried taking them to The Grounds. Admittedly i did zero research on the HoT zones, so the team (minus the SK) died about 4 times just trying to get to various killing spots. Figured out what i was doing wrong but decided to move the team to an high 70s/low 80s area for some fast killing. Headed to loping plains, fired up /mac pocketfarm and let the team go to work. They were killing everything in sight pretty quickly, even when forgetting to refresh DS on the SK. Ended up at the zone in for the Castle thing in the lake (forget the name) and kept pocketfarm going. After about 2 hours of killing in Loping Plains and adjoining 'dungeon zone', i had gained about 3 levels on each toon, almost 4 on the BST who was the lowest level at the start.

All and all, it wasnt that bad but i did expect faster leveling for both groups, but i think trying out the quoted method above for my lower levels is the way to go and for the 70-80s toons, just doing what i did with Loping Plains -- follow the level of mobs of the group i'm leveling and let the SK do her thing. I also learned to do my research for these zones -- i research everything IRL, but just dove head first into the EQ zones and that was my fault. I'll be better equipped with knowledge the next time, that's for darn sure.

Team 1: mid 40s -- all melee team (warrior, ranger, rogue, and bard), rounded up Giants in Gorakar Mesa with the SK, used the mass agro spell every time it was available. Had the bard play the level 2 damage song. At first the dying was slow using just the SK damage shields, so after the 3rd group of Giants, i had all the melee's start pounding on the giants to not only keep skills up but speed up the killing. In about 2hrs time, i gained about 4 levels on each toon which was so/so.
Are you using both DS spells on your SK? It should go very fast. It goes faster if you sit as mobs will always hit you when you sit. If you don't have wurmslayer you'll have to mash the sit key all the time. If the SK is just standing there, the mobs are going to miss you most of the time and your DS will do no damage. The reason wurmslayer is so powerful is that it absorbs 1750 damage, but technically mobs still hit you on a damage absorb. So you can sit, mobs hit you 100% of the time (with back turned) taking full DS damage, but you take no damage and stay seated. I've done that exact spot many many times and mobs melt in seconds with wurmslayer on. It usually takes longer to get a hit on all the mobs with the low level toon. Although, to be fair, I usually leave that spot around 40 because it's pretty slow for power leveling.

Team 2: low to mid 70s -- mixed team (Enchanter, SK, Monk, Cleric, Ranger and BST), grouped them with the SK and tried taking them to The Grounds. Admittedly i did zero research on the HoT zones, so the team (minus the SK) died about 4 times just trying to get to various killing spots. Figured out what i was doing wrong but decided to move the team to an high 70s/low 80s area for some fast killing. Headed to loping plains, fired up /mac pocketfarm and let the team go to work. They were killing everything in sight pretty quickly, even when forgetting to refresh DS on the SK. Ended up at the zone in for the Castle thing in the lake (forget the name) and kept pocketfarm going. After about 2 hours of killing in Loping Plains and adjoining 'dungeon zone', i had gained about 3 levels on each toon, almost 4 on the BST who was the lowest level at the start.
If that SK is still in heroic gear, he'll be pretty weak so the strategy you took is probably best.

Question - SK Powerlevel process

Users who are viewing this thread

Back