• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Should be a little more cautious. (1 Viewer)

alabama20

RedCents
60¢
It's stated somewhere around here that while you can see a person's class with MQ even if they are /anon or /role, you should be careful as it raises the anntenna of people when you ask for a class buff from them. I was shrouded to a 70 chanter, in /role, and got a tell from someone wantin C. When I asked how they pegged me as chanter, they said that they had grouped with me before. When i replied that I was actually a ranger in a shroud, there was no further response. I didn't report or anything of course, but you should really be careful with those sweet MQ features. You just might ask the wrong person a question that gets you into trouble.

actually, i can tell what a class is by looking at them. Silk, Chain, Plate, or leather. and weapons are pretty easy to see too. surname/prefixes also help.
its pretty easy to slim it down to wizard/enc if they're silk, because a mage will have a pet. a necro will be skeleton with a pet. just watch for who is nuking for 10k and who is nuking for 1k!

Sounds to me like the guy wasn't even standing next to bama. Bama was in Enchanter shroud. Guy sends tell for C across zone.

Best way to make sure people don't ask questions is to be next to them when you ask buffs. I mean, for gods sake, you have MQ2Map. Use it to find your target, run to them, ensure they are the class they appear, and then ask for the buffs. And yeah, it's pretty easy to tell what class people are by either looking at them or inspecting their gear.

ac1dgenocide said:
actually, i can tell what a class is by looking at them. Silk, Chain, Plate, or leather. and weapons are pretty easy to see too. surname/prefixes also help.
its pretty easy to slim it down to wizard/enc if they're silk, because a mage will have a pet. a necro will be skeleton with a pet. just watch for who is nuking for 10k and who is nuking for 1k!
But he was in a shroud. It's not always so apparent what class you are in a shroud, besides the obvious fact that they are not a player race.

Think about this for a second. He might not have, and probably wasn't, using MQ in the first place. If you were /role and he used MQ to see that you were an enchanter, he would also see that you're in shroud because of your race. He might have seriously grouped with you, and remembered you being an enchanter. Then again, maybe he was using MQ and just wan't smart enough to look at your race. Either that, or he saw your race but he thought you used a spell to turn into that race.

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten tells from people wantin C or HP buffs when I put on a cleric/chanter shroud. I understand why those 2 classes run anon as much as they do. The last couple of times, it's happened within 10 seconds of shrouding, and before I can even reply and go /role, I've gotten another tell lookin for buffs too. Believe me Unknown, I hear ya about people SHOULD be able to see my race and figure I'm in shroud, it just doesn't happen. maybe things are different on other servers, but on mine, I'm just gonna get in the habit of /role before I even shoud up.

My enchanter/cleric is always in roleplay for that reason. Same with my druid. Too many damn noobs asking for PLing buffs.

After playing the game for 5 years I can tell what anyclass in the game just by pretty much inspecting them. But on another note I do look at peoples classes with MQ2 and find them and look at there items if they have there epic out I ask them. If they dont I go wander around a bit more or ooc for some buffs.

I am cautious of this all the time.
When I find a certain class I need to beg a buff from I will actually walk up to them in the zone and ask. Then if they ask "how did you know I was a cleric?" I'll say your gear gave you away.
I'll always buff anyone regardless, the one thing I won't do is cross a zone for them :D

One time I asked for a rez from an anon cleric, when asked how I knew he was a cleric, I just said that I keep a list next to my computer of clerics that have helped me out in the past.

Kinda lame, but he rezzed me and went on...

I guess I am just to cautious since I do not go to anyone for a buff who I cannot /who all cleric or so on... ya I know annon and role kill that but if I need a buff that bad I have to use something else to get it that then guess I find something else to do.... tradeskills so on.... I just don't need to put any more attention on myself then what I am already running... for something as simple as buffs....

I got alot of tells to my high elf cleric for resses and buffs even while anon. In some cases when I get the tell I look where the person is in relation to me. If hes on the other side of the zone and no where near me to inspect, I call him on it.

Most of the time I just say I am a shaman or druid. (Remember hes a high elf)

They usually leave me alone figuring I am a prick. Which I usually am to buff beggers. I recently started o nthe progression servers with three of my 6 accounts while I am waiting for the other three to get un-suspended. All my toons are 33 there, monk, cleric, ench. Started with nothing and havent asked anyone for anything or grouped with anyone. All toons have their spells needed and good gear.

Just sayin, you dont need the buffs. Some people just cant play without them. Temp is become a "I need it", to me its a if its casted on me I will take it, but wont ask. Heh.

N

nijhal said:
I got alot of tells to my high elf cleric for resses and buffs even while anon. In some cases when I get the tell I look where the person is in relation to me. If hes on the other side of the zone and no where near me to inspect, I call him on it.

Most of the time I just say I am a shaman or druid. (Remember hes a high elf)

They usually leave me alone figuring I am a prick. Which I usually am to buff beggers. I recently started o nthe progression servers with three of my 6 accounts while I am waiting for the other three to get un-suspended. All my toons are 33 there, monk, cleric, ench. Started with nothing and havent asked anyone for anything or grouped with anyone. All toons have their spells needed and good gear.

Just sayin, you dont need the buffs. Some people just cant play without them. Temp is become a "I need it", to me its a if its casted on me I will take it, but wont ask. Heh.

N

Whats the point of playing an MMPORG if your not going to interact with other players? Don't get me wrong, in a way I see your point....

Then again, you're putting down beggars when you yourself are in a way even lower then they are using MQ2 .... I hate beggars too, but I have limits, if they ask for a simple rez, thats not a problem, but when they beg to be PLd, etc. then I agree with you.

i guess going out of your way and checking were he is in zone then calling him out on useing mq is alot easy then simply buffing the dude? imo ethier act afk or just give him the buff lol no reason to be a dick and call him out you oviously use it too. and its not like hes warping around the zone hes simply asking for a buff.

Maybe I didnt explain myself properly.

I am always Anon, on all my toons. I play most of the time with about 10 real life friends, so thats why I play. We have a dedicated teamspeak server. I am not saying I dont interact with others I dont know in real life, cause I do. I just after 7 years of playing a cleric get sick of gettign tells from everyone and thier mother for buffs, rez, money, the list is endless.

So call it being a prick, call it being fed up with 7 years of tells for stuff that I now call begging. The whole point I was trying to make is, you dont need to have all these buffs to advance in the game. And people who play clerics enchanters shamans ect do eventually get sick of the tells for these buffs, rezzes ect. The number one thing I hate is auctioning a high priced item and then getting a tell from randomnewb01 for plat.

N

Should be a little more cautious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back