• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Shaman not enough for a Warrior? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
85¢
So I made a new box group consisting of a WAR, SHM, ENC, WIZ, ROG, BER

All are 115 and now almost max AA, but the shaman still isn't enough to keep tge war going. Have to group him with my SK group and have my 125 CLR in the WAR group.

Is this normal where a WAR really needs a CLR to keep him going as he simply can not self sustain like an SK?

Thinking I may get the SHM up to 125 and he can be the main heal for my SK group.

Anyways first time rolling a warrior and just not overly impressed...

i mean its 125, i had a necro as my WAR healer in LS the other day :ohdear: semi over the top, but, shaman can NP heal any of the tanks in content they are all in (a ros shm cant heal in LS... actually could with a decent geared tank), so are you going above your weight class?

All are 115 and now almost max AA, but the shaman still isn't enough to keep tge war going. Have to group him with my SK group and have my 125 CLR in the WAR group.

Is this normal where a WAR really needs a CLR to keep him going as he simply can not self sustain like an SK?

Thinking I may get the SHM up to 125 and he can be the main heal for my SK group.

i have no clue what zone you're killing in or the gear you have on these characters to provide real feedback. Your automation suite is also probably relevant.

Too many unknown variables to give you a solid answer.

What's the WAR's gear like? He Aug'd to the gills or naked as the day he was born? What content are you trying to do? Which automation tools are you using and if they're not CWTN plugins, what setup work have you done?

I'll say that my WAR is max AA for his lvl (not quite 125 yet) and my max 125 SHM is more than enough to keep him going except in the worst situations. At 115, all things being equal, a SHM should be just fine to heal a WAR as long as you're doing content appropriate for that level. If you're struggling in Great Divide, that's totally different than if you're struggling in Pal'Lomen.

Also using Lua RGMERC for all classes.

Have CWTN plug-ins for my other group classes.

Seems my SK when he was 115 with worse gear paired with my cleric back when he was 115 and pretty scrappy gear never had any issues.

Maybe the fact that I was using CWTN plug-ins made the difference?

Depends what is happening. Is SHM running out of mana because he's under geared? Are his heals not focused because he doesn't have a neck item? Is the tank accidentally fighting out of range of the shaman? Do you not have the right spells on the SHM? No doubt clerics are the safest healer, but we need more info to be able to help because a shaman should be able to keep your tank up np.

Edit to add: if he's running out of mana, did you level his canni aa too high for his undergeared hp? Not sure about RGMERC, but CWTN won't kill you with canni so you may be missing one of SHM's core abilities.

Unlike SKs warriors has close to no self healing at all, however they overall take much less damage due to their abundant amount of discs, and some clickies. I had to do some tweaking in the group for my warrior to stay alive when I was in Restless assault. For example I had my melees use weapons which procs target of target heals, up the percentage on hybrid classes (in my case BST) to heal the MA (like around 80%) and such.

SHM can perfectly heal the group solo around that level. I did have issues before the shaman had access to all the tools though. Only having group heals won't cut it. It may be ideal if you place another healer class like druid, or like use both cleric and shaman in group to stay safe. DPS will go down but I doubt with 2 healers your warrior will ever get to die. Or put in an enchanter for faster mez.

If you are using mq2grind, in Restless assault, there are some pulls which can result on a hairy situation. There are 2 points, one of them being at the very first pull that can pull more than 3, and they can be the hard hitting wurms. In mid way, I had sometimes 6 mobs aggro at once. These can most of the time can be avoided, like not using bard speed while grinding, adjusting chase distance (sometimes they can run pass the tank and aggro the mobs).

Warriors do not have the get of of jail free cards that SKs do, and are thus more brittle. I always recommend 2 sources of healing, whether its an sk, shm, pal, druid, or clr, your group should have 2 of these. Really war should roll with clr and shm. Warriors are top dps at 125, so you won't miss the 3rd dps toon with a war if you toss in another healer in lieu.

I am the rare one in the club. I never use a shaman in a grp. I also do not mix casters with melee for better synergy. I like to run war, clr, brd, bst, pal, zerk. The bstie gives most all the shaman like buffs just not as high of stats, but also adds a ton of adps to melee has alot of dps itself. The cleric does most the heavy healing. The paladin is mainly there as my puller, dps, and back up rez.

Normally I run a cleric with my warrior has he’s my caster group tank, but I did run him in place of SK yesterday with shaman healer and didn’t notice he needed any extra, both 125 max aa, same gear. Also manage big pulls without CC easy enough. So I would say it’s your gear / augs that are letting you down. Or possibly what you are using for playing it.

Appreciate all the feedback guys and will take some of your suggestions.

I am really curious if/how much more effective/efficient the CTWN plugin would be over the Rgmerc. Maybe I should try doing a test copy and try the CWTN on test to see if it makes any difference.

Ill try gearing up my Shaman today as well to see if it helps. The warrior is definitely geared with full augs and T2 raid gear. His AC is up there with my 125 SK thats in NOS T2 raid.

Agreed. Shaman at that level should have no problem healing. Agree with the other posters to check on your cannibalization routine plus your slowing routine. Slow >= passive healing + risk mitigation. Also make sure your healer is specced on alteration.

My experiences are at 125 so take them for what its worth. My A team is melee based with an SK, and my B team was caster based with a warrior. B team was very new and the shaman was struggling to keep up with the warrior. Moved that warrior to my A team (and the SK to the B team) and the totally maxed out shaman on that team had no issues keeping him up. Have since gotten better gear on the warrior and the B team shaman, and I can now move the warrior to either group with no issue.

As others have said, it could be your warrior gear or aa, your shaman gear or aa, your automation, or any combination of those causing your problem, but there's nothing stopping an appropriately geared and aa'd shaman from single healing an appropriately geared and aa'd warrior, in appropriate content.

Lua RGMercs is available for the "public" just a view days now. On top it started with support for all classes contemporary. It is really at a great point already. I can imagine, that the class-config may need some more fine tuning before it is able to support all classes well enough to be able to do challenging content.
I have been impressed by the level of stability and quality the day I saw it appear here at RG and started to try it.
For me it almost seems, that the creators are working around the clock to improve RGMercs.
It must have been an immense effort, to reprogram RGMercs completely from scratch in Lua.

So we might need some patience if we want the new RGMercs to control our group successfully, if the content is to challenging yet for the group.

Lvl 115 and above a shaman can heal and keep alive any tank, if content, gear and aa's match.

Lua RGMercs is available for the "public" just a view days now. On top it started with support for all classes contemporary. It is really at a great point already. I can imagine, that the class-config may need some more fine tuning before it is able to support all classes well enough to be able to do challenging content.
I have been impressed by the level of stability and quality the day I saw it appear here at RG and started to try it.
For me it almost seems, that the creators are working around the clock to improve RGMercs.
It must have been an immense effort, to reprogram RGMercs completely from scratch in Lua.

So we might need some patience if we want the new RGMercs to control our group successfully, if the content is to challenging yet for the group.

Lvl 115 and above a shaman can heal and keep alive any tank, if content, gear and aa's match.
100% not knocking Lua RGmercs whatsoever. Been using it since it was released and I am also very impressed.

My only experience in terms of content at 100+ was with an SK and Cler based group. So was concerned when I was expecting the Sham to be able to keep a warrior going. At this point I was more curious to see if the CWTN plugins I used for my SK group was the major difference versus the Lua RGmerc which is still in it's infancy.

Appreciate all the feedback guys and will take some of your suggestions.

I am really curious if/how much more effective/efficient the CTWN plugin would be over the Rgmerc. Maybe I should try doing a test copy and try the CWTN on test to see if it makes any difference.

Ill try gearing up my Shaman today as well to see if it helps. The warrior is definitely geared with full augs and T2 raid gear. His AC is up there with my 125 SK thats in NOS T2 raid.
plugin is way better

Shaman is a devastating healer when used properly (even without slowing the mobs first)
If the Shaman knows what he is doing, he will keep Heal Over time always on the group at all times ( with the healing AA this is great on its own). Then can add his direct heals on top of this or even better his rain heal spell. While doing this he cannibalization skills meantime for mana

I use WAR + SHM and have never had a single issue with any group content. The issue may not be with your SHM, is it possible that your WAR is very poorly equipped? Honestly a T3 geared war with tower shield really should be no problem at all.

Question - Shaman not enough for a Warrior?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back