• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Bans - Security Measure for cracking down on account sales (1 Viewer)

RedCents
213¢
So I recently created new accounts, and put all expansions on them, the activated them with Krono, then I purchased heroic characters on each of them using paypal.

The only thing regarding info to the account I set was the email as I usually do.

I started having issues logging in or staying logged in when I used the MQ log in route. When I logged in using the DBG launcher I was prompted to "add additional security measures, due to activity on you account"

I clicked the link and it made me set the SQA, and add a cell phone to the accounts. I have never had this happen before so I wanted to see if anyone else had this happen recently?

I was wondering also, if anyone thinks it has something to do with them cracking down on RMT after the opening of the new progression servers.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Not a new thing. It has been happening to people for awhile now and there are varying theories as to why it happens to some accounts and not others.

I think this is also common when a brand new account starts to spend krono and buy heroics all at once. I seem to recall someone talking about that a while ago.

I think this is also common when a brand new account starts to spend krono and buy heroics all at once. I seem to recall someone talking about that a while ago.
yeah i've heard people actually get auto temp banned from making an account, and buying krono/heroics etc too quickly as it flagged (or flagged) some krunk auto detection system they have (or had)

It raises flag when you do that much purchasing that fast. In the faq on Krono it states:

Restrictions and Limits
  • Accounts must be 48 hours old to purchase.
So you got around that somehow, but buying all the expansions, and creating numerous accounts also raised flags.

Usually it takes 24 hours on the first Krono purchase for them to run the checks.

if you create over 5 accounts in a 24 hr period it will auto flag every account you created and make you add a phone #. Also its not just from the same IP they use other identifying techniques to know if the same person created them. I made 5 on my computer and 5 on my phone all with different emails and it flagged them all why ? Likely because i logged on them all from the same computer/ip after creating them. And no the phone was not on wifi it was using 5g.

Its more of an antibot system so bots cant create hundreds of free accounts every day to spam chat in other games.

I was able to do 5 in one day, 6th one wouldnt register (as others have mentioned), however, 24 hours later let me make the 6th.. but its account verification is fubar, and had to contact CS to actually enable the account.

if you create over 5 accounts in a 24 hr period it will auto flag every account you created and make you add a phone #. Also its not just from the same IP they use other identifying techniques to know if the same person created them. I made 5 on my computer and 5 on my phone all with different emails and it flagged them all why ? Likely because i logged on them all from the same computer/ip after creating them. And no the phone was not on wifi it was using 5g.

Its more of an antibot system so bots cant create hundreds of free accounts every day to spam chat in other games.
I made 5 all at once...only issue i had was making a 6th at which point I had to use another e-Mail. I do let them rest for at least 5-10 days before i log them in. Haven't had any issues with any of the 6...haven't made it to krono pop them yet...so more to come once they get there.

Only thing I do different when I create them is toggle the vpn to california or Europe to mix things up a bit...not sure if that makes a difference but so far no issues.

I usually make 6 accounts, 2 per month, until I have 6 and then don't do anything with them for a while. Just have them. Then opt to use them at a later date for testing or otherwise.

Obviously you want to verify the email address.

It's good practice to do SQA as it's technically required.

Last edited:
I have only created one or two a day at the most. I take too long on making up names lol.

Never have had 2 step or any thing else pop up. Let them sit for while cause I get busy with other characters.

Make sure I never use a credit card, only a Krono so I get Silver status when they go non paid

I have only created one or two a day at the most. I take too long on making up names lol.

Never have had 2 step or any thing else pop up. Let them sit for while cause I get busy with other characters.

Make sure I never use a credit card, only a Krono so I get Silver status when they go non paid

So a FTP account can go silver if you use a Krono and not a CC for payment?

So a FTP account can go silver if you use a Krono and not a CC for payment?
Its not an exact science. People argue all the time about it.

Its supposed to be any account made after 2014 will not have the Silver option. Accounts before that date were grandfathered Silver.

But I just stuck a Krono on a 2016 account and it is now Silver (I quit paying the Krono after one month) and there are quite a few players in here who have posted screen shots of getting a Silver status on brand new accounts. Use search

I wonder if using a credit card on the account messes it up and that is why some folks say it does not work.

Its not an exact science. People argue all the time about it.

Its supposed to be any account made after 2014 will not have the Silver option. Accounts before that date were grandfathered Silver.

But I just stuck a Krono on a 2016 account and it is now Silver (I quit paying the Krono after one month) and there are quite a few players in here who have posted screen shots of getting a Silver status on brand new accounts. Use search

I wonder if using a credit card on the account messes it up and that is why some folks say it does not work.
If you krono an account and let it lapse, it goes silver.

@hellfyre and I confirm this just about every time it comes up

If you krono an account and let it lapse, it goes silver.

@hellfyre and I confirm this just about every time it comes up
Yes, I agree with you. But there are still players that do not get Silver using a Krono so there has to be another factor somewhere. Wish I could convince a couple other folks lol

Last edited:
I have several accounts that were free to play that are now silver. Like Sic said, if you use a krono and leave the account not played for a while, it will be silver. I have, however, had an account revert back to free to play if I play that account often.

What about those items that use to add stuff to the ftp accounts. Like i'm all most positive there was an item that let you upgrade to tier 2 spells

What about those items that use to add stuff to the ftp accounts. Like i'm all most positive there was an item that let you upgrade to tier 2 spells

Yes, there is a spell rank increaser which will allow a F2P to cast rank II.

But here is the kicker(s)

You have to purchase it while you are F2P - it does not show up in marketplace for All Access or Silver accounts. Its $7.50 with no discount.

You have to scribe the rank II spell itself while All Access - you cannot scribe the rank II while F2P - at least I could not on mine so I had to go back to All Access for a month, scribe and then back to Silver/F2P

Here is another hidden gem - you should be able to verify if you are Silver by clicking this link, signing in and the look down the list for:
"EverQuest Chat Token (formerly Silver Membership)

https://account.daybreakgames.com/authenticated/cam/subscriptionDetails.action?gameCode=EQ

If that line item is there and your account flips to F2P then there is a miscommunication between the patcher and your account. Make sure you run file verification and use the patcher to log in to correct it.

You have to scribe the rank II spell itself while All Access - you cannot scribe the rank II while F2P - at least I could not on mine so I had to go back to All Access for a month, scribe and then back to Silver/F2P
You can scribe rank 2 while f2p. If you just bought the unlocker best to log to desktop and back in.

Yes, there is a spell rank increaser which will allow a F2P to cast rank II.

But here is the kicker(s)

You have to purchase it while you are F2P - it does not show up in marketplace for All Access or Silver accounts. Its $7.50 with no discount.

Here is another hidden gem - you should be able to verify if you are Silver by clicking this link, signing in and the look down the list for:
"EverQuest Chat Token (formerly Silver Membership)

https://account.daybreakgames.com/authenticated/cam/subscriptionDetails.action?gameCode=EQ

If that line item is there and your account flips to F2P then there is a miscommunication between the patcher and your account. Make sure you run file verification and use the patcher to log in to correct it.

Yeah I had remember buying the rank increaser years ago while being All Access I had recently looked for it in the marketplace and thought they had removed it. I checked the marketplace on a free to play and was able to find it. I guess they really don't like giving the discount on the increaser that $.75 adds up! :woop:

But on the other note I have encountered the suspicious activity or unusual activity message numerous times after doing 6 separate Krono transactions or more in a short time (within the hour of each other) but can't say for certain that this causes the 2 step authentication popup.

Yeah I had remember buying the rank increaser years ago while being All Access I had recently looked for it in the marketplace and thought they had removed it. I checked the marketplace on a free to play and was able to find it. I guess they really don't like giving the discount on the increaser that $.75 adds up! :woop:
OTOH, if they made it available to gold accounts, invariably some people (read: dumb people) would buy it by mistake thinking that it's a necessary purchase to use rank 2 spells. When they realize their error, they pester DGC for a refund.

Yes, this was an issue with the task unlocker in the marketplace.

Originally F2P were limited and All Access accounts did not have a limit on quests in the quest window. And as an added incentive a "task cap unlocker" was put in the marketplace similar to the AA and Spell unlockers meant for F2P.

Just a year later in an effort to encourage F2P they removed the cap on tasks so F2P then had the same amount as All Access

Mar 07, 2013
The quest journal restrictions are lifted entirely. Quest away!

However, they did not remove the unlocker from the marketplace. And just like the other unlockers it could be purchased by All Access who did not need it.

Now zap forward to the game update in Feb 5 2020 where:

- Task Cap Increase is no longer for sale in the Marketplace.
And dev clarified The Task Unlocker does not work, which is why it's being removed from the Marketplace. All characters already have access to the maximum number of tasks.

And the response by a well know EQ website resource:
I guess I'm out 360 Daybreak (or is it Darkpaw) Cash for buying this (bought twice for two characters) after seeing it existed from the Test Update Notes.

I mean geez the update notes were about it being removed so why would you go buy a couple before it went to live? And this person is well known for their knowledge of EQ so not like they were unfamiliar with the game. Or the test note that said it did not work.

From Test patch notes - "- Added a message when security locked accounts log in without LaunchPad. "

What is a security locked account? One that has 2-step verification?

Bans - Security Measure for cracking down on account sales

Users who are viewing this thread

Back