• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Serious - [Sad story] Long-term effects of hardcore raiding (1 Viewer)

decker

RedCents
452¢
Long-term effects of hardcore raiding
Well this is normally something people would keep to themselves I think. But I'm not like other people, you know this is you been around here for sometime.

I wrote this mostly to get something of my chest and thought after writing it that I would translate it and post it here. So you know where I am, why I'm not posting atm. And also, who knows, it might stop you from making the same mistake I did.
Well here it is the long-term effect of a hardcore raiding idiot:
Let me start by making some statements. I live with my girlfriend and have done so for some years now. I love her and after sometime I came to realize that I loved her so much that I would do anything for her. Even stop raiding. I was in a guild that has cleared everything. "Lucky" for me we had most the content of WoW on farm status, so I agreed to stay in the guild and play when I had time. Every time I had some argument with my girlfriend I played. So I was in general playing 1-3 days (because of her work as well we didn't fight that much). A few weeks ago I stopped completely because the raiding was going out of control. I sold my accounts (the ones that had geared chars on them); I did this so I wouldn't log in. See I started hardcore raiding back in EverQuest a long time ago. So I'm addicted and cant manages to keep it casual. Back in 1996 it cost me a girlfriend, she couldn't cope with the fact that I played this much. This was ok with me because it seemed I didn't have time with raiding and all to care. The biggest problem I have with this is that I lost my apartment (could not afford it alone). This meant my dog that I had for 12 years had to go live with my parents over 100ks away (that's over 63miles).

Now this is my story:
The year is 1996 it's a great day the sun is shining and I just got home from an exam getting an A+. I'm at my brother's house telling him the news. My phone rings as I answer it I fell discomfort. It's my dad; he called to tell me that they had to but my dog to sleep because they couldn't find a place for it to live. As his telling me my left eye start compiling moist. I fell all cold and empty inside, everything becomes num as I fell the coldness of a single tear moving its way from my eye over the bone of my nose. As it hits my chic I cant fell anything. Nothing at all. I try to say something but nothing comes out. I say nothing and hang up as I walk out of my brother's house. After this I cry a few tears, but only from one eye and never more then 2 tears. Not that I didn't want to cry more I had plenty of felling but nothing made them come out.

Its now 2008 and until today I have not cried since then. Of cause I have been sad, angry and so on. But I have not cried since that day…
This is until now. Today my girlfriend confessed to me that she wanted to take a break. I'm not dumb I know what a "break" is. Fuck I used it as an excuse so many times myself. An excuse to break up in stages. To make it all easier, not even on the one you are doing it to but to yourself.
To tell you the truth I didn't see this one coming either. I felt exactly the same way as when my dad told me he killed my dog. Only this time it was multiplied by 1000. I have never in my life felt anything like this. First the dislike, then the emptiness. A tear and then lose of all felling.
But here the twist; after a few seconds I felt something that words cant descript. Some that hurts, burn, freezes and so much more at the same time. Something so strong that you just lose your ground and it kicks you down. I was lucky I was sitting down otherwise I think I might have fallen to the ground when that happened. I think the best way to say this is if you have ever told someone you love them, and you meant it, you know the painful seconds before he or she reply and then you get a felling. The felling I had was sort of the opposite just way stronger.

This is what happened in my case:
All the raiding, first the hardcore and then the more casual raiding. Made my girlfriend miss stuff. Now normally this is something that you can talk about in a relationship, but I was a total jerk. I compared the hardcore raiding with the more casual raiding. Making her see that I was not playing as much as I use to. This was all good and dandy. However it was not. With me not wanting to talk about it (her words not mine, I would have listen and acted on it, fuck man I really love her and would do anything for her), she started talking to a co-worker. If you have not already guessed the co-worker was a single guy. After sometime she started having feelings for him (who can blame her, his have to look like everything I'm not). We talked about that there where stuff that needed to become better and I did (she told me too just so you know). However the reason we are now on a "break" is that she's unsure if she had the feelings for him cause I was an idiot or cause she's in-love with him. The really sad part of this "break" and the main reason I don't think ill come out of it with a girlfriend is: We are on a break. She needs time alone to think; so I'm wont have much contact with her. However she is going to work and guess who there to keep her spirit up? Yup the co-worker. I'm doomed.
Now knowing how a "break" is and that this is going to be the way the break is going to be, I'm not holding my breath.
I'm single, mad at myself and hating everything, right now.

Ohm and just a note:
If I came across this post I would not read it. Its way to long. So here's the recap of it:
Hardcore raiding can end your relationship. Even if you try to control the volume of your playtime. Before getting your emotions in a relationship consider this. Cause one day you might sit alone, with an indescribable felling in you hole body, writing a post on a board about what a fuckup you are… I know I just did…

BTW I don't expect any "sorry for your lose, mate" or anything like that. You can laugh, flame and so on. Nothing you can say can make me fell shittier anyway.

And no I'm not sitting with a weapon thinking about ending it all… Not my style… Live and learn…

Ohm yes and this is also and I'm afk for a little, don't know when ill be back. Hacking, gaming and so on don't really mean anything for me right now…

- decker the crybaby

Ohm yes and this is also and I'm afk for a little, don't know when ill be back. Hacking, gaming and so on don't really mean anything for me right now…
This is exactly why I disappeared from RG for about a year or so. Yeah, i should have told people, but I simply didn't know how to.
I really am sorry man, it sucks. Sadly you don't live around here or I'd take ya out to the bar or something. Hope to at least see you around. :)

This really sucks decker, I'm really sorry. Though, FYI, I think anyone who flames this is a total douche and can go die in a hole. People who kick others when their down are assholes. Sorry for your loss man, maybe she'll see that you are in fact a nice guy without WoW, and come back, man that sucks.
Hope things go well and you feel better soon,
-Storm

I almost lost my husband this summer when I was in a raiding guild. Luckily, I was able to prove to him that he was the most important thing in my life. That's all we want. To be more important than anything else. Check with your spouseoid monthly. Ask him/her, "What's the most important thing in my life?" If it's not him/her, get to work.

Sorry you had such a hard lesson. It's very mature of you to see your fault and not lay it all on her.

There is no room for real life if you are hardcore raider Decker. No metter what you try, how much you try to avoid being on 24/7, wow will slowly crawl up to you and backstab you from behind, reminding that you have dailies to do, and raids to attend. Even if you think you are only casual raider, it wont work as long you raid something above Karazhan.

I just left my hardcore raiding guild for the same reason, real life. Its no metter if you have a sheduled raids 3 times a week in theory. In real you will end up raiding every day because now some boss were left over from yesterday, and guild wants to finish off him, even if it is day off.. Then its other boss who you took down to 5% yesterday and it would be stupid to not going raiding today and finish him off..

No metter how much you try, uness you are in a guild that already have BT in farm, and clears BT + MH in 2 days its no use trying to have real life while you are raiding in a progression guild that just enered BT and MH.

Its shit to hear about what happened to you, but I have yet not seen anyone who succeed to keep both his GF / BF and be a raider in wow :/

To offtopic: Ripper, do you mind to quit the whine that there are no girls in MMO's? Only because you never met them it doesnt makes it fact that they doesnt exist, and I think that female part of community will get fed up with yours "There are no girls" talk soon enough. This seriosly is getting annoying, so please stop or atlest dont say it every second post.

I met my current girlfriend in WoW, she is in same guild I were. I dont know how long our relationship will last, but I know she is a girl, and that she is a gamer and enjoys MMO's. And no, you wont get any pics to prove my word, because I dont care proving anything, its a fact.

I know several pairs who play wow. They are merried, however they enjoy spending some time in games with eachother. Besides, you cant really go out with your husband if he is addicted to wow.

Thank you.

Btw, Decker. You might get her interest back, if you stop playing wow totally, and show her you did it for her, because you love her.

Last edited:
Hope you feel better soon Decker. Sorry to hear what happened.

I just went on holiday with my husband (YES HUSBAND...I am a girl....) and we had a big talk and he was very clear that he needed me to restrict how many hours I was playing WoW and even more so, to not be itching to play when I am doing other things with my family. So I have cut down massively and have a much healthier marriage because of it. The same happened with Ultima Online and then Anarchy Online but with me its a phase - I obsess about a new hobby for 6 months or so then it falls away...Understanding that makes it easier to control but sometimes I need to snap back to reality. This is why I never ever gamble as I wouldn't trust myself!!

@ Ripperjack, Ah the half-insane ramblings of a bitter, misogynistic post whore...
I'm going to have to agree with Bladee about you man, it's getting old fast.

RipperJack,

Enough.

I went through a divorce (non-gaming related), and it was the most painful thing in my life. That post was entirely inappropriate. Almost losing a spouce is not a joke, and you come off as a true asshole making jokes about it.

Don't ever let me see another post like that.

EDIT: I scrolled up and saw another of your posts that I missed. I deleted that one too. There is a time and place for making jokes about your virginity, and about girls not being in MMOs, and this thread it not it. Decker's going through a hard time in his life, I know how it feels. Don't shit up his thread.

EDIT 2: MissTerious, I forgot to address you. I won't say I'm sorry for your near loss, because people drove me insane with that way back when, and it turned out all right. But I will say you gave excellent advice; advice which, if I would have followed, things may not have turned out like they did for me.

Well Deck' you aren't the first it has happened to. Computer games definately affect how we interact with people in the real world. Some people allow themselves to get so insanely wrapped up in the little fantasy worlds that have been created for them that they fail to 'look beyond the curtain'. I've lost friends over gaming (Although mostly because I beat them) and I'm sure I'll lose more. My stance is now such that once I 'complete' a game, I find alternate ways to derive pleasure from it other than spending an exorbient amount of time raiding. WoW *is* one of the games that you can do reasonably well as a casual player, although as Bladee has said, its extremely difficult and requires a lot of self discipline and control.

Want my honest oppinion? Quit WoW. If a game *ever* starts to fuck up your real life, then its time to step away, learn the lesson now before you lose more dude. If you ever need a chat, you know where to find me.

There is no room for real life if you are hardcore raider Decker. No matter what you try, how much you try to avoid being on 24/7, wow will slowly crawl up to you and backstab you from behind, reminding that you have dailies to do, and raids to attend. Even if you think you are only casual raider, it won’t work as long you raid something above Kara Zhan.

Yup this is what I meant. Its comes slowly. Before you know it you are a hardcore raider again...

I even tried to return to EverQuest ones. After being away for 2 years or so, and being 10 levels under the max level, not having the keys need to end raiding I would be safe (for some time anyway). Well thanks to this site and some warp; 1 week after I started playing again I was max level, max AA and in a guild called Darkwind. Raiding the end zone... There is no escaping hardcore raiding.

bluehere said:
So I have cut down massively and have a much healthier marriage because of it

I did this too and I stopped playing at all. But it was to late; she already found interest in another guy.

Nonetheless I will survive. I will give her the room she’s asking for to find out if she likes him or not. And if this is the end of us.. Then I hope I can learn from it and see it as a new chapter of my life.

BTW @ all of you
Thanks for your kind words. I'm surprised that so many of you have been where I am now. And some of you even worth.

- decker

damn.. :qq:

i solved my hardcore raiding by marrying :)

But I play WoW about 2-3 days a week but its only for a few hours and the time Im not playing its with my wife, either out doing things or playing Wii or Socom together. Its hard to balance RL and WoW. And it took us months to figure out a playing schedule for us so we both get what we want.

Decker,

I've had my personal issues with this stuff, and I am going to be quite blunt and honest.

You're going to find that maybe she's not the right one for you, and that doesn't mean to run off and hide from something that you enjoy. When you find the one who really loves you, and you love her back you'll find a medium. Not as in a medium shirt or sweatpants, or even an order of french fries. I am talking about a happiness medium. Where you'll find that you do need time alone, and time to do the things you want to do. I know it doesn't sound logical, but I am a die-hard College Football fan and computer gaming person.

It's hard to find a girl who doesn't mind Saturday's being totally involved in the fall with Football and every other day to be involved in video games. (Although since the latest releases of video games girls have become a little more open to gaming.) You'll find though that when a girl is seriously happy and completely in love with you, she won't leave you over something like this, and on a side note, you'll find it a little harder to be involved in video games and hardcore raid.

I don't have the same time that I use to, to play Vanguard and WoW, I find it that it's a little harder to be able to spend time away from her, because she's spectacular. I didn't care about past girls, and that's why they didn't work out. I thought I cared, I thought I wanted to be with them, but I slowly found out that I didn't. I find time when she's sleeping, or when she's off at class to or drill weekend to play these games and devote my time to a grind session of questing and slaying of evil cows and other mischievous creatures(like deer, in reference to the commercial on G4).

My point is Decker, don't stress it, you'll find someone else. Someone who is better and someone who understands your addictions to gaming. You'll find something that is better than those games, and can fill those boring empty times that the gaming has replaced in your life. Trust me, it worked with me.

I hope everything works out for you.

Scott
Marbury

There is no doubt in my mind that Decker can be an example to us all.

The truth is, there is a real world out there that is going on without "downtimes," "maintenances," or "lock-ups."

Warcraft will one day pass away. If you invest your life in it, you will end up very disatisfied.

Decker, thank you for sharing your story. I feel for you and hope that it all works out. If you truly love her and want to win her back, my advice is for you to just quit gaming. I know that it is alot to consider, but at this point it is either her or WoW.

If you truly love her, do something about it....go after her. Take your game with you and destroy it in front of her, write her love poems everyday, or send flowers explaining that you have never seen more clearly in your life than now. In other words, be honest. Just tell her that you were a jerk and that you took her for granted. At this point she needs to know that you will give up anything for her.

I am sure that some will beg to differ, but I know that if I had a choice between my wife and warcraft, I wouldn't even have to consider the decision, it would be my wife everytime.

Good luck and you are in my prayers.

Thanks for the support guys. I feel better already, however I'm not up for making anything atm. I will be checking the boards and stuff, but no hacking / model changing or anything like that atm.

I promised some of you stuff and I will be doing them, but not right now. Need a little time to reflect

- decker

Wow thats all some great advice.....

As I always say to my fellow guildmates please try to remember that this is a game that we all pay money to play for our enjoyment and entertainment. Real life comes first if there ever comes a time that virtual life collides with real life then its time to stop playing.

Decker My Advice:
In my younger day (well before video games came out) I was crushed by my the fiance. She droped me like a bad habbit out of the blue. I was devistated for months.

The best advice i got was from my mother believe it or not and it went something like this.

" If you love something set it free. If it comes back to you love it forever. If it doesnt it was never yours."

Well she never came back but lucky for me she didnt because I went on to marry the greatest girl in the world and we celebrate our 15th anniverary this year.

Keep your head up Decker and things will work out fine.

:)

" If you love something set it free. If it comes back to you love it forever. If it doesnt it was never yours."
Great my dad said:

Dad: "Hmmm, what about your apartment?"
Me: "Well have not considered it yet, but the payments could be hard alone"
Dad: "Hmmm, you better make a budget then"
Me: "erm, thanks"
Dad: "Well no problem, talk to you later"
Phone: "bib bib bib bib bib"
Me: "WTFH"

But TBH it was the right thing to say got me thinking about what to do if its over and start planning the future...

- decker

Decker, I don't know how old you are, but I think your Dad had the right approach. He'll help you if you need it, but I can guarantee you that he won't just pull through overnight and give you a house over your head. He wants to see you work for it, he wants to see if you're the product of his investment. That's all that was.

things will get better bro....i know what it feels like to have eq fuck up somethin in real life.....quiting was the perfect thing to do bro...gotta give u ur props for it.....and one other thing..... ive always believed that shit happens for a reason......when it does happen from the result of this incident u may not know it happen but one day ull look back and truelly undertsand y this is was a good thing.....about a year ago...my cat died....i had grew up with this cat and everything.....about a week after it died i met this women.....the women im ingaged to now....and guess what....she's deathly elergic to cats :P lol uncanny but im tellin u bro shit happens for a reason....give it a year or so gaurentee ull be truelly in love with someone that truelly loves u for u regardless of if u play eq scratch ur balls or pick ur nose :P lol and ull look back....and ull say thank god she left me (hey she might even play WoW or eq :P) just keep with hope bro idk if i can do this or anything if i cant admin take this name out but if u can pick up the book
"The Secret" by : Rhonda Byrne
it explains alot in there and its not some religous ass shit.....more like a guide to shit that ull never really understand o_O lol stay hopefull bro and u will prevail :)

i wanna say one more thing..... u all are the shit..... have never seen so much support from a forum.....

OK gotta Put my two cents in. I'm still sitting in Iraq 48 more days Of this crap left. Bored out of my mind and I have just read every Post to include everything you had to Say Decker. I've been there lost a marriage and a great friendship because of the Raiding that was in 2000. 2008 and I living a great life (All but Iraq but give it 48 more days) You'll get it all back everything happens for a reason....

Better to find out now than 10 years down the road when lawyers have to get involved. Find yourself a gamer girl and settle down, bro.

Hey Dermien. This is a flame free board and Decker is a well known and well respected member of this community. I suggest you re-word your post, it looks a lot like a flame to me.

Edited out so decker doesn't have to see this garbage - Cade

Jmo, I dont know about you, but I think such people deserve a ban. He said what he ment, and by editing his post, he wont change his attitude. And such attitude is not welcome on those boards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decker,

I'm going to hop on MSN, you been on at all? If you won't be, send me a PM, I have a few things I wanted to talk about, personally. Let me know, bro.

Hey decker,

I sent you a PM with every conceivable way of contacting me if you want to talk about anything. I haven't been your closest personal friend here, but still.

-Cade

Women are the suck! Simple

I'm just lucky my gf lives 15 miles away, and works most weeknights except wednesday, so i'm lucky enough to plan my gaming around her

Hope thigns work out okay for you

Looks to me like bonedead is aboard the train to ban country. This is a no flaming forum, delete your post or say good-bye to your account.

It always amazes me that even on the internet, everyone assumes people grew up with English as their first language. You'd think the whole internet thing might give them a worldly view, but no.

Decker...I won't lie man, I have lost almost every single girl I've dated or had a relationship with over gaming. First it was EverQuest, then WoW, now its EverQuest2.

I missed homecoming completely my freshman year of high school to play EQ, I was late my sophomore year to homecoming for EQ because I was camping Stormfeather, my junior year I was kicked out of high school for skipping school to play EQ, and my senior year I almost canceled my prom plans do a stupid "old world" clear with some buddies.

Since the summer of 2005 and now, I have dated maybe 3 or 4 girls(for more than a month) and each one has dumped me. The last girl I dated told me that I was a loser for playing WoW all the time, and that if I wanted her I'd have to quit. I replied telling her she was a bitch for talking trash about my "hobby" and walked away from the relationship. That was a year ago last month, and to this day every single morning I wake up and think about her.

Now, it has been almost a year since I've had any relation with a girl(sad, but I won't lie) and I regret every single time I picked a game over RL. It isn't worth it bro.

I hope everything works out man. If you ever need someone to talk to(or hell...even a roommate) let me know. Ann Arbor, Michigan baby WOOT WOOT

Now, it has been almost a year since I've had any relation with a girl(sad, but I won't lie) and I regret every single time I picked a game over RL. It isn't worth it bro.

I hope everything works out man. If you ever need someone to talk to(or hell...even a roommate) let me know. Ann Arbor, Michigan baby WOOT WOOT

That's really sad. (Well, homecoming sucks.) Are you doing anything to change this now?

Well, I decided to quit my dead end job and move from Atlanta, GA to Ann Arbor, MI so I could go to school and such. Things are better now. I still think about it every day though. The last time I saw her is going to haunt me.

But hey, no need to get down about it. At least I'm not addicted to crack!

Decker,

As someone who lived a separate life in an upstairs room with a computer desk, chair, and EQ 1 while his live-in girlfriend grew apart from him... I can definitely sympathize with the situation you're going through. EQ destroyed my first real long-term relationship after college and alienated me from both my girlfriend and her family. She ended up going back to her former boyfriend (a guy who she had a house together with at one point and who she left because he was a drug addict... coke, crack, meth, heroin, you name it). I was devastated too.

You know what I did to fix it? I moved into a one-bedroom place and played EQ as much as I wanted to.

But that wasn't a good thing to do... pizza boxes started piling up, dishes didn't get washed, laundry sometimes didn't even get done. I was unhealthy and school wasn't going that well (although I went to it everyday). I used to use the excuse that EQ was my hobby, and at $14.99 a month it was a lot cheaper than some peoples' hobbies of going out and getting drunk every weekend. Or that it was good I spent so much time in EQ because as long as that game held my attention I wouldn't need to spend $49 or $59 on a new XBOX game every few weeks.

I was living in a fucking dream. It took me realizing how unhealthy I was living (physically, socially, and emotionally) to force me to tone it down and eventually drop it completely for a time. I started jogging, working out, etc and never felt better in my entire life. I lost like 10lbs of crappy weight and really was happy with the direction my life was going. The confidence gained from doing that was incredible... and I realized I was now improving myself in real life rather than trying to improve some virtual character that only exists in Sony's servers somewhere in California.

I've come back to the game a few times... and it's forced me into unhealthy situations each time as I neglect myself and my loved ones around me, but it's never gotten as bad as that first time. I've always managed to keep my priorities somewhat straight in the grand scheme.

I just came back from a 4 month break brought on by some training I needed to go do for the Navy. I didn't have internet access for well over 3 months, so my toon went from top geared on the server for his class to about 3rd or 4th. I feel the pressure to get back into hardcore raiding to make up the difference, but I don't think I will because at the end of the day my wife (I got married in late December 2007 :P ) and my health mean too much to me. It took me a long time to realize this, though.

The biggest reality check for me (besides the ex leaving me) was typing /played in EQ and realizing that over the course of a couple of years I had literally spent 300+ days worth of time sitting in front of a computer screen playing a fucking game. I never used that toon as a trader or left him logged in if I wasn't playing.

All I have to say is:

http://www.crossfitoahu.com/

It sucks deck, and I feel for you. Try to look at it as an opportunity to capture your life back.

i read the story, and up to where ripperjack's comment was deleted, and i read ripperjack's statement, then skipped the rest to post this:

move on. people are flaming RJ, but he's trying to make light of the subject, and in this situation, that's all you have left.

if the girl wanted to leave because you played the game too much, there's a chance to stop playing and salvage that relationship.

if the girl has some other dude, it's over and there's nothing left you can do but suck it up and move on. trust me on this, i'm not wrong. trying to get her back will only result in you crying in front of her, and further alienating yourself from her "ideal you".

the most you can do at this point is damage control, and not make yourself look like too much of an ass. don't call her, or try to contact her to show her how much you've changed blah blah blah. just go on with your life.

there's two paths your life can take at this point: full blown hardcore raiding 24 hours a day (which despite what anyone says, is a valid path, if that's what you want to do), or stopping the game entirely. whichever you do, you have to DO IT ON YOUR OWN, and NOT CALL ANYBODY FOR PROGRESS REPORTS.

if you do quit the game, just go on about your life. if this girl misses you, and contacts YOU, then you can go from there. I personally have hangups about anyone that breaks up with someone, gets together with someone else, then tries to come back later. that's called having your cake and eating it too, and i never really went for it.

just live your life. close the chapter. [some other "finalizing" bit of text goes here]

BTW Status update:
We are now together again. We talked everything over and I decided to stop raiding. I will not join any guilds that raid anymore. She understands that gaming is an outlaid for me. If I had a shitty day gaming makes me cool down (and that is needed sometimes).

Well thanks for all your support and all. Now I just hope that we will be together for ever.

- decker

Cool. Congrats Decker. Just make sure to keep her happy above you wanting to game (for the most part anyhow).

Serious - [Sad story] Long-term effects of hardcore raiding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back