• You've discovered RedGuides šŸ“• an EverQuest multi-boxing community šŸ›”ļøšŸ§™šŸ—”ļø. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! šŸ‘‹
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Returning Player: Server & Class Selection (1 Viewer)

nebucosm

RedCents
40Ā¢
Hi everyone!

I would like to start by saying that from what I have seen so far, MQ2 is an amazing program with a similarly amazing community behind it. The RedGuides forum has such a wealth of information that I cannot wait to explore. This is my first post on this forum. I am a returning player that needs advice on getting started. Perhaps I could obtain a little feedback from more experienced players on what server and characters to select. I am very excited to embark on my boxing journey!

Personal Background
I first played EQ back in 1999 as a wizard on Prexus. At the time I was completely blown away by the massive world and became immediately hooked. I have such fond memories of those days and my crowning achievement was the epic 1.0 paired with a manastone. I played for 3 years and quit shortly after the release of Luclin. Seven years ago I had my first duo boxing experience on EQ2. My main setup was a SK and Cleric, but I leveled many other classes as well. I only played for 1-2 years and never used any boxing software.

Three years ago I boxed on P99 with my wifeā€™s account. I really enjoyed Bard swarm kiting, but the GMs caught me PLing on both accounts and I received a suspension. Swarming got nerfed shortly after I left and since then I havenā€™t been back to EQ. However, my love for the game has never waned. Recently I started watching YouTube videos and learning more about progression servers. I hadn't logged into my original account in over 17 years, but I was able to recover my credentials. Boy has it changed! I feel completely lost with all of the new content.

Server Selection
After learning the Rizlona TLP server allows boxing, two weeks ago I reactivated my old accounts and created a 3 box setup of ENC, DRU, and CLR. All three accounts are gold, as you canā€™t play on the TLPs as a free to play. I got my toons up to lvl 24 without any boxing software, but after watching a few videos on MQ2 I decided to subscribe. Now that I am discovering how much control you can have over a full group of toons I am considering rerolling a 6 man team or leveling up 3 or 4 additional toons (perhaps omitting the DRU) to round out the group. However, I am uncertain of how to proceed.

Is it worth paying for 6 accounts to be on a TLP or should I just have 1 gold account and 5 silver accounts on a regular (live) server? After looking through the forums, I see that EQ has eased up boxing restrictions on servers that are not ā€œtrue boxā€. An obvious drawback to the TLPs is that you have to pay for 6 accounts and cannot access your toons if you let your subscription lapse. Are there any major drawbacks to playing on silver accounts? What server should I try? Should I consider playing on the Test server?

At this point in time, I am not really that interested in the latest content or getting to max level. I mainly want to relive the experience of older dungeons crawls and raid zones as a self-contained group. I would like to take on LGuk, Sol B, Sebilis, etc. Maybe even do some older planes, like Fear and Hate. I donā€™t know, I guess I donā€™t need to be on a TLP in order to achieve the same experience, but I find the progression servers attractive for some reason. I really enjoyed my time as a Bard on P99.

Class Selection
I am also uncertain which classes to select for my team. Iā€™ve found a lot of great posts on these forums, but most seem to be focused on the live servers and discuss abilities on toons level 100+. I was originally planning to main my ENC with the CLR for heals and DRU for ports and sow. However, now I am thinking about maining a SK with a nice round group for CC and DPS. Iā€™ve seen a lot of boxing groups running around Rizolna, as well as posts on the forums, which focus on multiple magicians or melee DPS. I was also unaware of the synergy effect of having multiple casters in a group, which is pretty cool. Is that something that exists on TLPs or just live servers?

Now I am considering a group with a SK, Cleric, Enchanter, Bard, Magician, and Wizard. I like the idea of a lot of mana buffs, Bard speed and Wizard ports for getting around, and being able to take on older content as a team. Maybe down the road I will explore new content if I decide to stay on a live server. Iā€™m kind of at a crossroad and unsure of how to proceed for the type of gameplay I want to achieve. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for reading my post and to anyone that responds!

Hi everyone!

I would like to start by saying that from what I have seen so far, MQ2 is an amazing program with a similarly amazing community behind it. The RedGuides forum has such a wealth of information that I cannot wait to explore. This is my first post on this forum. I am a returning player that needs advice on getting started. Perhaps I could obtain a little feedback from more experienced players on what server and characters to select. I am very excited to embark on my boxing journey!

Personal Background
I first played EQ back in 1999 as a wizard on Prexus. At the time I was completely blown away by the massive world and became immediately hooked. I have such fond memories of those days and my crowning achievement was the epic 1.0 paired with a manastone. I played for 3 years and quit shortly after the release of Luclin. Seven years ago I had my first duo boxing experience on EQ2. My main setup was a SK and Cleric, but I leveled many other classes as well. I only played for 1-2 years and never used any boxing software.

Three years ago I boxed on P99 with my wifeā€™s account. I really enjoyed Bard swarm kiting, but the GMs caught me PLing on both accounts and I received a suspension. Swarming got nerfed shortly after I left and since then I havenā€™t been back to EQ. However, my love for the game has never waned. Recently I started watching YouTube videos and learning more about progression servers. I hadn't logged into my original account in over 17 years, but I was able to recover my credentials. Boy has it changed! I feel completely lost with all of the new content.

Server Selection
After learning the Rizlona TLP server allows boxing, two weeks ago I reactivated my old accounts and created a 3 box setup of ENC, DRU, and CLR. All three accounts are gold, as you canā€™t play on the TLPs as a free to play. I got my toons up to lvl 24 without any boxing software, but after watching a few videos on MQ2 I decided to subscribe. Now that I am discovering how much control you can have over a full group of toons I am considering rerolling a 6 man team or leveling up 3 or 4 additional toons (perhaps omitting the DRU) to round out the group. However, I am uncertain of how to proceed.

Is it worth paying for 6 accounts to be on a TLP or should I just have 1 gold account and 5 silver accounts on a regular (live) server? After looking through the forums, I see that EQ has eased up boxing restrictions on servers that are not ā€œtrue boxā€. An obvious drawback to the TLPs is that you have to pay for 6 accounts and cannot access your toons if you let your subscription lapse. Are there any major drawbacks to playing on silver accounts? What server should I try? Should I consider playing on the Test server?

At this point in time, I am not really that interested in the latest content or getting to max level. I mainly want to relive the experience of older dungeons crawls and raid zones as a self-contained group. I would like to take on LGuk, Sol B, Sebilis, etc. Maybe even do some older planes, like Fear and Hate. I donā€™t know, I guess I donā€™t need to be on a TLP in order to achieve the same experience, but I find the progression servers attractive for some reason. I really enjoyed my time as a Bard on P99.

Class Selection
I am also uncertain which classes to select for my team. Iā€™ve found a lot of great posts on these forums, but most seem to be focused on the live servers and discuss abilities on toons level 100+. I was originally planning to main my ENC with the CLR for heals and DRU for ports and sow. However, now I am thinking about maining a SK with a nice round group for CC and DPS. Iā€™ve seen a lot of boxing groups running around Rizolna, as well as posts on the forums, which focus on multiple magicians or melee DPS. I was also unaware of the synergy effect of having multiple casters in a group, which is pretty cool. Is that something that exists on TLPs or just live servers?

Now I am considering a group with a SK, Cleric, Enchanter, Bard, Magician, and Wizard. I like the idea of a lot of mana buffs, Bard speed and Wizard ports for getting around, and being able to take on older content as a team. Maybe down the road I will explore new content if I decide to stay on a live server. Iā€™m kind of at a crossroad and unsure of how to proceed for the type of gameplay I want to achieve. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for reading my post and to anyone that responds!

Welcome back Nebu!

Just a couple of quick points from personal experience.

1. Three types of accounts - Gold (all access), Silver (Formerly subbed and max 1k AA, level 105 I believe, and canā€™t access last 2 expansions), and free to play (no sub, max 250 AA, max level 105?, canā€™t access last 2 expansions)

2. I have been back for 6 months and my team is low 70s (all FTP). It is much more enjoyable on a live server to do old content since gear is better now. This makes it actually enjoyable since the fear of wiping out all the time has mostly been removed.

3. Choose your team how you want, you can always create a new ftp account or create a new toon as you see fit.

4. Typical wisdom is Bard is good for melee groups and Enchanter is good for caster groups.

5. Cleric is the best healer into the 80ā€™s. SKs make fine tanks.

6. There is so much content between Luclin (when you left) and now that you could stay FTP for years just exploring it and doing all the old quests.

Enjoy your time and welcome to the Redguides community!

Welcome back man!

honestly best advice is just get out there and play the game. It's very easy to make adjustments or change your mind, even what server you're playing on but only you're gonna know what you like. If you spend a couple weeks on a team you're not enjoying roll another team, they level so fast now. The time spent won't be wasted because of the personal experiences you'll gain.

Question - Returning Player: Server & Class Selection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back