• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Returning Player from 2012ish (1 Viewer)

RedCents
318¢
I just started playing again and am trying to catch up with all the changes. Some really great info on here, but I don't want to go down the rabbit hole on things that are out of date. I run a 6 man team, Shadowknight, Ranger, Bard, Berzerker, Shaman, Cleric that were mostly geared in Tier 1 Veil of Aleris Raid gear, with group stuff filling things out. I've gotten them from 95-101 pretty quickly, but I'm concerned I'm going to out level my gear before long. I'm really mostly just concerned about the SK for armor, and the bare minimum to keep DPS up on the ranger and zerker. Any suggestions on which expansion would be a good place to back off on leveling and start worrying about gear?

welcome back!

Getting Started / Returning user

Welcome to RedGuides, fellow EQ multi-boxing enthusiast!

The best place to begin is our "New User Guide" video series, click this TV to watch:

This step-by-step series will teach absolute beginners how to control 6 characters at once while highlighting Nav, AutoLogin, and DanNet, which are fundamental plugins that will enhance every aspect of your game.

Returning users check out - MacroQuest Release Party: https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/macroquest-release-party.80628/ for information about changes from the legacy MQ2 to the new and awesome MQ

each modern tier has f2p gear that is pretty cheap in the bazaar.

like snowbound for 110 - which is VERY strong 110 gear. i would try and get those pieces for your sk until you're spending more time in the current tier

Welcome to RedGuides and welcome back to EQ.
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

If you got a mix of raid gear, you can try levelling through CotF/TBM HAs and RoF zones like plane of shadow if gear is lacking a bit, maybe even brother isle and tempest temple?. This will shore up the group gear slots and bring them up to date for your characters.

It might feel like a slog but if you can push through to 106, you can get conflagrant gear on all your toons which will get you to 110 (which you can do in EoK zones pretty easily). Following this, upgrade to snowbound and start ToV progression depending on gear, especially augs.

Make sure you pick up the tradeskill augs for your level on the SK and look for camps you can handle that drop decent AC augs. Having a full set, even if they arent BiS, is still better for your tank than empty type 7/8's. This is very evident as you look to kill in RoS+, having 40+ ac in each slot at 110 is nearly 1k more raw ac added into the calculation, it is the difference maker when you start going up in tiers. Back in EoK era my 105 warrior couldn't handle lceanium in TDS group gear with no augs. I spent about a month getting him kitted up and after filling out his augs and a few cheap upgrades I was doing Chardok nameds.

I'd reccomend doing a bit of grinding in some newer zones for your range until you reach what is tough to handle and then drop a tier. I usually do Shards landing > plane of shadow > upgrade to conflag @ 106 > FM > Droga > Overthere > sathirs/HS > EW/GD for my grinding. I skip TBL initially but usually come back to it afterwards.

If you can find some to help you, a single group of 120's could do the CoTF Deadhills and Ethernere raids for some level 100 raid drops.

If that's not an option, then go with the recommendations on the previous replies.

I just started playing again and am trying to catch up with all the changes. Some really great info on here, but I don't want to go down the rabbit hole on things that are out of date. I run a 6 man team, Shadowknight, Ranger, Bard, Berzerker, Shaman, Cleric that were mostly geared in Tier 1 Veil of Aleris Raid gear, with group stuff filling things out. I've gotten them from 95-101 pretty quickly, but I'm concerned I'm going to out level my gear before long. I'm really mostly just concerned about the SK for armor, and the bare minimum to keep DPS up on the ranger and zerker. Any suggestions on which expansion would be a good place to back off on leveling and start worrying about gear?
I just returned recently from the same expansion era and now I am 2 months in and up and running like a boss!
Did Darkened Sea first.
Get to Frontier Mountains in EOK as soon as you can handle it. 4k hp gear. Levels 99-108 ish.
Next I went to Ring of Scale expansion zones, 105-114ish mobs.
Then I went to Zephyr's Flight in TBL 108 -114 mobs (cool mask from the paragon called jann's veil )
Eastwastes 110-118
I did a ton of COV next because I realized I'd come back within 2 months of the new expansion coming out, the mobs have a ton of hit points and hit very hard but the payouts good if you can stand it, though I think ME might have been a better option if I'd had a choice, best of luck~
Also missions give tons of xp /aa so it's often worth it to grind the ones you can do in whatever expansion daily :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Been working on optimizing my team and they’re running decent. Dinged 107 earlier today. SK is in conflagrant visibles now with a mix of old and Darkness Howls/Into the Hills/Scouting Ahead non vis.

SK was in very good AC aug shape when I quit in 2012, but definitely room to improve there and the type 5’s. The western fort in FM with the Chef and Drillmaster are both trivial take downs at 106/107.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. Did some grinding in Charisis for a nostalgia hit. Brings back some good old school memories. The SK is in full conflagrant with a lot of non visibiles 106-110 gear now. Working on the type 5's and his AC augs are decent. Rest of the crew is woefully lacking yet. Hard to keep up just on spell costs with them all at 110 now. Did upgrade their weapons.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. Did some grinding in Charisis for a nostalgia hit. Brings back some good old school memories. The SK is in full conflagrant with a lot of non visibiles 106-110 gear now. Working on the type 5's and his AC augs are decent. Rest of the crew is woefully lacking yet. Hard to keep up just on spell costs with them all at 110 now. Did upgrade their weapons.
if you're all-access on those toons, you can see if buying the spell motes in the bazaar is cheaper - if your toons go back to f2p, they'll be able to use the spells (just at rank 1) --- you can also buy a rank 2 unlocker in the marketplace

if you're all-access on those toons, you can see if buying the spell motes in the bazaar is cheaper - if your toons go back to f2p, they'll be able to use the spells (just at rank 1) --- you can also buy a rank 2 unlocker in the marketplace
Yeah, all access currently on all six. Don't see that changing. Over the course of year, its pretty cheap for entertainment.

Welcome back and make sure to enjoy the "race"
Its been a minute, but everyone is 120 now, except for the shaman and ranger who are like 20% to go so they should ding tonight. Ditched the zerker for a rogue and can do Griklor, Velk, Zlandi, and Shei in my sleep now. Gear is still a little patchwork. Holy heck did they make modern gear a plat sink.

Its been a minute, but everyone is 120 now, except for the shaman and ranger who are like 20% to go so they should ding tonight. Ditched the zerker for a rogue and can do Griklor, Velk, Zlandi, and Shei in my sleep now. Gear is still a little patchwork. Holy heck did they make modern gear a plat sink.
Congrats!!!!!

Work those missions and then the ones in ToL you can do for gear, ore, augs etc and make sure to soak up those aa's during the bonus if you have not maxed them already. They def make a huge difference in ToL, NoS content

Question - Returning Player from 2012ish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back