• You've discovered RedGuides šŸ“• an EverQuest multi-boxing community šŸ›”ļøšŸ§™šŸ—”ļø. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! šŸ‘‹
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Ranger vs Zerker (1 Viewer)

Rangers have the Line of Sight, and ranged distance requirements, to use the Archery skill full time. In small rooms with hills it is a headache. If both of those conditions are met, then yes, I prefer it over Zerker.

my ranger tops mage and necro by a bit if on headshotables. the buffs are nice, and if playing manually so are the crowd control and pulling skills. just rangers like to squish and gate with some of those heafty crits!

my ranger tops mage and necro by a bit if on headshotables. the buffs are nice, and if playing manually so are the crowd control and pulling skills. just rangers like to squish and gate with some of those heafty crits!

ITā€™s hard to say what that means without numbers though. My necro doesnā€™t do much in most fights as my core groups usually run about 4-5 million DPS average (thats not burn but their on-going group xping dps). Mage is a bit different Iā€™ll grant but still struggled to keep up with my rogue or ber (granted my rogue and ber have raid weapons and focis + supported by brd/shm/bst)

The presence of the right ADPS is also a big factor. Zerk benefits a lot more from bard, bst, shaman support than does the ranger. Zerk DPS is almost all burst DPS. So they're doing to do tons of damage when they have all their burns lined up, but drop off pretty hard when everything is down. Rangers are much more consistent dps.
It depends, each class excels in certain situations.

Single Target Headshotable mobs : Ranger
Multiple Target AoE: Zerker
Single Target Boss: tie
More like:
single target, non-burn: Ranger
multi-target AE or when burning : Zerker

Last edited:
More like:
single target, non-burn: Ranger
multi-target AE or when burning : Zerker
ive not ever grouped with a good zerker i dont think, and havnt run one myself. ranger burns with headshot in ME, i cant pull the mobs to camp while burning because they die before getting there. tend to save the burn until there are 3-4 mobs up or its a waste of some of it. great fun, one of my fav classes to drive as main toon.

Zerks are bad monks? Huh? Monks are wIzzy level dps. First time Iā€™ve heard monks in a few years brought up as good dps.
They hit things, and can FD.... thats better than a zerker who can just hit things. Monks also have really good synergy with other melees, they just don't do what they used to.

Zerkers can decap, but that means basically nothing unless you're endlessly grinding AA or something. If your game goes above the group game at all, rogues are better than zerkers.

Ranger adps is pretty solid and very underrated class. I could probably see the best melee group at the moment having a ranger but no zerker.

This coming from a guy who has always loved his zerker.
Ranger > Zerker

stephen amell arrow GIF by The Paley Center for Media

Stephen Amell Arrow GIF

They hit things, and can FD.... thats better than a zerker who can just hit things. Monks also have really good synergy with other melees, they just don't do what they used to.

Zerkers can decap, but that means basically nothing unless you're endlessly grinding AA or something. If your game goes above the group game at all, rogues are better than zerkers.

So no argument on rogues being better. I run both And for a few xpacs now thats been the case. But Monks? They can fd and do crappy dps. Not really that useful to be honest. Iā€™d argue since Wiz DPS got a bump since TOL They might even be below wizzes.

That said fd really isnā€™t that useful in modern EQ.

I mean if you want to hit things and fd...make a SK...even my trashbox sk's...who are now getting 1.5 epic(ed) <insert cheer> usually end up in par, usually slightly below dps wise...and most of the time above my zerkers...they can also tank, pull, and have a pet that giggles

hot wheels thumbs up GIF

Last edited:
rog > everybody else for now.

It's interesting people are saying rangers are this good DPS unless they are driving directly. I'd love to see a few parses or ballpark burst and avg dps. I hate how far my ber have fallen behind my rogue - but my ranger can't compete with either - not automated.
Using KA on headshot trash mob and my ranger is about 1m dps, vs my mage ctwn tank puller 500k, and 300k for my ctwn necro. necro is ftp, other two paid and aug'd.

Using KA on headshot trash mob and my ranger is about 1m dps, vs my mage ctwn tank puller 500k, and 300k for my ctwn necro. necro is ftp, other two paid and aug'd.

So is that consistent 1 million or or on burn? 1 million consistently is betetr than I expected. I'll have to try my ranger out again with it when I have time (running epics on 2 shaman right now for 2 new groups).

I need to see what my rogue are averaging these days. My burns can hit over 2-2.5 million and the sustained I beelive is closer to 1.2 million but there are dips down to 700-800k also.

Granted my guys are all in TOL raid gear thanks to server I play on. It's been awhile since I looked at sustained closely. I just know my mage rarely jump above 1.5 million even on burn. Their burns are closer to 1.1-1.2 on trash. But 1million on ranger is interesting might try the one I have sitting dusty one day.

You'd have to look at missions to get anything that is even remotely relevant. Imo, parses of individual static zone mobs during an extended xp session are next to worthless.

But even missions it's sort of like whats the point. I know there are a few boss mob parses - zlandi being an excellent example. but it's not like a rogue/ber can't kill those parses either. Its funny I never played melee until MQ (probably because I could macro necro/mage/wiz and partly because it was older mechanics). but in modern EQ it's hard to justify roles for casters, outside of a mage. And druid/cleric/ench are almost pointless - strictly speaking group game of course.

Just my 2 red cents:

Ive main'ed a ranger since i have started EQ. The class is amazing and ive seen its ups and downs for each new expansion. However, in any group content i have played, ive always had a ranger so i am a little bias.

But more to the point; Some of the good options of having a ranger is a backup tank in group content (papertanks YAY!), headshots, buffs, synergy.

Favorite group so far is SK/SHM/BRD/RNG/BER/ROG. = I have switched out the ROG and BER with a BST and i believe i get more out of the group with the ROG gone instead of BER. But pick your flavor and what you like.

Rangers in all have great utility and can do a lot of things if you drive with them.

Just my 2 red cents:

Ive main'ed a ranger since i have started EQ. The class is amazing and ive seen its ups and downs for each new expansion. However, in any group content i have played, ive always had a ranger so i am a little bias.

But more to the point; Some of the good options of having a ranger is a backup tank in group content (papertanks YAY!), headshots, buffs, synergy.

Favorite group so far is SK/SHM/BRD/RNG/BER/ROG. = I have switched out the ROG and BER with a BST and i believe i get more out of the group with the ROG gone instead of BER. But pick your flavor and what you like.

Rangers in all have great utility and can do a lot of things if you drive with them.

Switch out the RNG for a BST though and tell us the results :)

So is that consistent 1 million or or on burn? 1 million consistently is betetr than I expected. I'll have to try my ranger out again with it when I have time (running epics on 2 shaman right now for 2 new groups).

My burns can hit over 2-2.5 million and the sustained I beelive is closer to 1.2 million but there are dips down to 700-800k also.
killer dps on those burns!

had some burns going im sure. ive seen it spike for more (not 2m), but 1m happens regularly. im not looking at more specific numbers because ive read that the Advanced DPS can be iffy and ive always burn going when not driving. so not scientific

killer dps on those burns!

had some burns going im sure. ive seen it spike for more (not 2m), but 1m happens regularly. im not looking at more specific numbers because ive read that the Advanced DPS can be iffy and ive always burn going when not driving. so not scientific
Same boat - on not watching closely.

And to be fair and clear Iā€™m wearing TOL T2 raid gear - full - on my casters and Melee. So my burns are slanted to high side. Which is probably why Iā€™m partial to melee these days. I just canā€™t get my mage, even, to approach 2million. The numbers iā€™ve seen on the rogue / berk are much higher.

Like you Iā€˜m not normally driving those toons so not super close paying attention. Next few times Iā€™m running the right missions Iā€™ll track it though.

Iā€™ve got up to 10m on zlandi burn last year during ToL. All ToL t2 group geared and chat/sic plugins for sk,shm,zerk,rog,beast and a ToL raid geared kiss bard.

This year I swapped to caster team, and most Iā€™ve had is 9m on under siege final mob with NoS t2 geared SK, Sham, Mage, Mage, Wiz and raid bard. And yes the wiz can keep close to the mages.

Sustained on a grind Iā€™ve been doing lately for cloak Iā€™m getting 3m ish dps avg over 4-6hour run, just trash so no burns / names

Last edited:
Question - Ranger vs Zerker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back