• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Ranger Support Group Make-up (1 Viewer)

RedCents
785¢
My Ranger is my main, I can pull or not with him pending group setup, but my question to the forums is if you were to build a group around a ranger, what would you use for classes and why? Currently I have a War, Cleric, Enc, Monk, Mage, as those are what I have maxed on other accounts, but I am planning on leveling some heroics on all the accounts next and will have some plug and play ability. I'm sure it will come to just preference, but curious if there are some special synergy considerations I should have. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

War/Shd/Pal, Shaman, Bard, Ranger, Beast Lord, Rogue/Zerk

the four bold classes are universally agreed to be the ultimate adps set up on raids. Because you're wanting to run Ranger, this means you really won't get the most out of doubling up on zerks or rogues so your only really optimal comp would be the above.

Rogue/Zerk, Ranger, and Beast Synergy all compliment each other very well.

Beast Dicho is a huge boon to melee dps
Ranger and Beast bring ATK buffs that stack and add to double and triple attack chance.
Ranger brings a skill+ buff
Shaman allows you to max Dex/Agi on your characters.
Bard is the obvious choice for CC in this set up.

Rogue/Zerk, Ranger, and Beast Synergy all compliment each other very well.

Beast Dicho is a huge boon to melee dps
Ranger and Beast bring ATK buffs that stack and add to double and triple attack chance.
Ranger brings a skill+ buff
Shaman allows you to max Dex/Agi on your characters.
Bard is the obvious choice for CC in this set up.
Thank you very much for the advice and information!

I also have a main ranger group. Enchanter is a definite. We need that haste and a couple other goodies enchanters bring to the board. I tried a Paladin then a SK and now have settled on a Shaman. I know they are close to the chanter but I like certain things on them both better than I like what the Pally or SK brought to the group.

But are you going with mercs? Or how many in your group?

I also have a main ranger group. Enchanter is a definite. We need that haste and a couple other goodies enchanters bring to the board. I tried a Paladin then a SK and now have settled on a Shaman. I know they are close to the chanter but I like certain things on them both better than I like what the Pally or SK brought to the group.

But are you going with mercs? Or how many in your group?
six box, no mercs at the moment--my current makeup is at the top of this thread in the first post--taking advice on classes to sub out/change to... to optimize the Ranger.

SK (for survivabilily), Shaman, Bard, Zerk, Beast, Ranger

Thats basically a raid dps group with a SK instead of a monk.

You can do a warrior instead of the SK, but I prefer SKs for group stuff.

I see a trend with replies having shaman/bard/bst just seems like some redundancy there... surely slows and hastes for days but couldn't you get by with only one or the other in regards to shaman/bst or is there a reason that works better than say having a cleric/bst or shaman/other dps if you have a bard?

There's really no redundancy.

Shaman haste is passive aura now, and their slow is superior to every other slow in the game due to the cripple buff it brings.

Bard Haste song does more than just adding haste... it adds ATK and 5% flat damage increase to melee. Bard over-haste song/aura brings Flurry, Triple Attack, and Pet Flurry.

You aren't going to be slowing on your Bst, it's going to be chain casting Nukes or spamming dots depending if you're in burn or not.

Not having a beastlord means losing out on hundred hands effect for your group (dicho/ruaabri), you also lose out on the resource sustain that dicho and Paragon/Focused Paragon bring. Effectively reducing your downtime significantly.

Not having a shaman means you don't get their spire, their epic, or ancestral aid.

around 40-50% of a Melee's dps potential comes from aDPS these days, not having proper aDPS in a melee group will gimp them significantly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the breakdown, I really appreciate the feedback. Coming back after a gap since 2006 has been a challenge learning the nuances. I miss playing in groups where you can pick up on things better, but most box to some extent nowadays and not all are open to discussing the finer points. I appreciate how this forum has helped with that!

Can someone Define aDPS for me? I have seen it several times, and I know that bards have it, but I don't know what it is.
Attributed Damage Per Second --- usually in reference to what you are giving others to support their DPS.

Let's say I'm a bard, and my songs are making my whole group juiced like they're all angel dusted out of their minds - this dps doesn't reflect in the bard's dps number, but the attributed dps is very real contribution and worth taking into account for purpose of group makeup etc.

Attributed Damage Per Second --- usually in reference to what you are giving others to support their DPS.

Let's say I'm a bard, and my songs are making my whole group juiced like they're all angel dusted out of their minds - this dps doesn't reflect in the bard's dps number, but the attributed dps is very real contribution and worth taking into account for purpose of group makeup etc.
Ahh things like "Troubadour's Sinergy", and all that. I see, thanks.

I'll throw a slightly different twist in here. Rangers are heavily dependent on mana to sustain their DPS numbers.

Tank/Shm/Rng/Bst/Bst/Ber is another viable group. Dicho/dissident boosts mana to rest of the group AND if configured right can get you to 66% uptime on 100 hands effects (think haste beyond the haste) which effects high delay weapons more heavily (e.g. tank weaps, 2hnders, etc).

Last edited:
Discussion - Ranger Support Group Make-up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back