• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Question (1 Viewer)

OBI

RedCents
Is there any way to have a program such as WoW on a computer without anyone knowing its there, unless they dig VERY deep? I'm:D talking about a work computer, so let me know what is possible, thanks ahead of time.

Well especially for WOW, there isn't really any registry or anything, so you can just copy an installation folder over to the PC you want to hide it on and bury it as deep as you want, but anyone would still be able to find it via search.

I'd say your biggest worry would be the network traffic.

First off..whats the OS?

If you're looking to just hide something (wow for example) for when you're not around.. you can bury the folder deep in other folders, but a search will turn it up.

I would also suggest right clicking the WoW Folder, going to Properties and checking the Hidden box. Then in explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and check the Do Not Show Hidden Files. This will prevent the folder from coming up in a search / browse of the Explorer. Then just undo it when you're at your workstation.

Or, you can download a program like http://www.cleanersoft.com/hidefolder/free_hide_folder.htm

Well does your employer actually do a search on every single employees computer for WoW.exe - if he does, that's kind of sad.

Well does your employer actually do a search on every single employees computer for WoW.exe - if he does, that's kind of sad.

Doesn't have to be an active search for WoW.exe . It's quite easy to open up the explorer on your employees computer and see crap that doesn't belong there. No harm in hiding your activities preemptively. And more than one company does executable searches to ferret out those wily employees who are doing stuff they shouldn't.

Doesn't have to be an active search for WoW.exe . It's quite easy to open up the explorer on your employees computer and see crap that doesn't belong there. No harm in hiding your activities preemptively. And more than one company does executable searches to ferret out those wily employees who are doing stuff they shouldn't.

We have actually added the application signature to our McAfee virus scanner ...

Bury it on an encrypted hidden partition, then run it within a protected process which changes the app sig... then tunnel and encrypt the traffic.

If your sysadmin is good, this might confuse him for a week before they figure out what you are doing.

Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back