• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Procedure for tracking down crashes? (1 Viewer)

watisthis

RedCents
581¢
I run 2 (used to be 3 but changed it) EQ directories to take care of my different resolutions across my 3 monitor setup. 1 for 2560x1440 and 1 for 1920x1080. I run 5 of my chars on 1080 and the main on 1440. There seems to be no real pattern to it, but about every 3rd time I zone, SOMEONE crashes back to login, and I have to completely close that window and re-run mq2login to log them back in. It only takes a couple of minutes, but it DOES get a little frustrating. It's admittedly more often on the 1440 account, but when that one drops, there's a good chance that one of the 1080 accounts will disconnect too.

There is never an MQ error window pop up, or a windows error pop up, or an EQ crashed, needs-to-close window pop up. It just boots back to the point where you put username and password. It's like it's not technically a crash, it just comes up with the black screen "you have been disconnected" window. I've turned off all the animations and particles I can, and am running at the lowest detail I can select for textures and stuff, even though my it didn't stress my pc at all. When I had particles on and high qual textures, it would crash EVERY time I zoned.

Can someone point me to where I'd go to find out what's causing it?

I run 2 (used to be 3 but changed it) EQ directories to take care of my different resolutions across my 3 monitor setup. 1 for 2560x1440 and 1 for 1920x1080. I run 5 of my chars on 1080 and the main on 1440. There seems to be no real pattern to it, but about every 3rd time I zone, SOMEONE crashes back to login, and I have to completely close that window and re-run mq2login to log them back in. It only takes a couple of minutes, but it DOES get a little frustrating. It's admittedly more often on the 1440 account, but when that one drops, there's a good chance that one of the 1080 accounts will disconnect too.

There is never an MQ error window pop up, or a windows error pop up, or an EQ crashed, needs-to-close window pop up. It just boots back to the point where you put username and password. It's like it's not technically a crash, it just comes up with the black screen "you have been disconnected" window. I've turned off all the animations and particles I can, and am running at the lowest detail I can select for textures and stuff, even though my it didn't stress my pc at all. When I had particles on and high qual textures, it would crash EVERY time I zoned.

Can someone point me to where I'd go to find out what's causing it?
It is possible it is a plugin doing it --- first thing we always tell people is to A: ensure you're patched B: check your UI isn't conflicting C: check your plugins - turn off anything you don't use --- come chat on discord if you want some help with that @kaen01 is a pro and will help you.

Everquest has had some of those You Have Been Disconnected issues since this xpac went live (and likley before heh) - doing a check system integrity thing for eq might be useful.

It could be anything from a faulty client's ui settings file (we had that recently with someone), it could be video driver issue, UI, Plugin, a ton of different things.

first i generally take a look at active plugin list, what plugins are you running etc, and eliminate plugins i directly dont use, then reboot pc and start everything up again, see if that helped.

If that didnt help i suggest tunin mq2 down to the bare minimum of what i consider needed plugins for the bare minimum mq2 experience.
again the reboot and test things out.

After this i am normally convinced its not an mq2 issue, so unload mq2 entirely, reboot and test with bare eq and see if things continue.

now if it still does it, delete eqclient.ini and let the eq launchpad redbuild it, reboot and test.

Now the next thing is to do a search in the eq folder for the character specific files belonging to the characters that often tend to crash, and simply deleting them, and again reboot and test, now this does make it so you have to redo their interface and setups but rather that than them crashing over and over.

now this is an experimental thought, and we probably need someone like @wired420 to chime in, but it could be a network setting in windows that drop packages as your guys zone, so it could be a network setting that could be changed.

now if nothing of this work, i am afraid a full on eq removal and install is needed.

Awesome. Exactly what I needed. Thanks guys. I'm way too ocd to waste a night of 76% exp to play with this tonight, but now I have a plan. I can handle just sitting in 1 zone for a week to get some serious AA happening.

Will get back to you guys soon with this. Oh, running default UI all round, after using Vert since forever, didn't take as long as i thought to get used to it.

i seem to remember one time you could change some networking settings in windows to increase some response time or sizes of packages for mmos like eq, to make it so the connection was more stable and less prone to dropping out like that, but i might remember wrong.

You're probably talking about when people used to change MTU, but unless you're trying to optimize internal networks (like LAN games) there is generally no reason to change MTU. Even then, not knowing what you're changing can make things worse rather than better.

I'm getting a similar crash on a Live server 6-box computer. Started happening after the patch where various people were complaining about memory usage increases.

This computer was running 6 toons with mq2eqwire's help. Very stable, I could leave them on for days. Since that update/change, within an hour of loading 6 toons I get crashes (mq2 crash msg window) or windows memory usage warning (it wants to start closing programs.) Same as above, I get kicked back to login window but it doesn't auto-login. Just stays there until I restart.

Same computer can now only run 4-box and even that goes into crash/warning mode if I zone/rez the toons a couple times.

Which server does this happen on?
Live server, Emarr. Can damn near replicate it, leaving instanced GMM for regular GMM on either task drop or asking to "leave", I can't remember the last time that didn't crash. Course, that's where I'm spending most of my time during the exp bonus. But zoning in EoK for example is the same sort of thing. Disconnection notice.

Could it be just that my internet connection is crap? 3mbit, ping between 3 and 500, kangaroos chewing on the wires, etc.

Is there a dump file or log file that EQ uses to say what's happening? I've searched the EQ folders sorting by date, can't see much interesting

Live server, Emarr. Can damn near replicate it, leaving instanced GMM for regular GMM on either task drop or asking to "leave", I can't remember the last time that didn't crash. Course, that's where I'm spending most of my time during the exp bonus. But zoning in EoK for example is the same sort of thing. Disconnection notice.

Could it be just that my internet connection is crap? 3mbit, ping between 3 and 500, kangaroos chewing on the wires, etc.

Is there a dump file or log file that EQ uses to say what's happening? I've searched the EQ folders sorting by date, can't see much interesting
We had a thing recently with someone in discord who couldn't stay logged in inside GMM - ended up having to delete his ui.ini, the GMM zone files, and his eqclient.ini and let eq rebuild --- issue went away. no clue if this would help you, and it took us a while to get this user back up and going again, was really weird.

Hmm. Might be worth trying that, see if it helps cut back on it. How big is the whole eq download when you do a reinstall, anyone done it lately? I usually max out around 1gb an hour download so I can set it going overnight maybe and just redo the whole damn thing

Hmm. Might be worth trying that, see if it helps cut back on it. How big is the whole eq download when you do a reinstall, anyone done it lately? I usually max out around 1gb an hour download so I can set it going overnight maybe and just redo the whole damn thing
We just had the dude delete anything with GMM in it (zone files), and then his character ini file (that stores his user interface positioning/settings), and his eqclient.ini and then patch was very fast and was back in business.

I posted in that other thread about higher memory useage - but I deleted my eqclient file and recreated it and it went back to normal - no idea if coincidence or what, but i definitely saw a difference.

I'm on Emar and don't experience this issue using the current build of MQ2.

As for the "whole EQ download when you do a reinstall" Sic was saying to delete some choice files, not the entire thing. Though deleting the entire thing would achieve the same result, but it's a bit of a nuclear option to delete the entire game and redownload the entire game. I recommend reading his post a little more carefully and looking at deleting those specific files instead of the entire game at least at first. Will save you tons of time.

Whoops, I wasn't clear.

I was considering the nuclear option because it isn't JUST GMM that's doing it. The only reason I was mentioned the GMM thing is because I'm living there at the moment, more or less, because it's about the best exp I can get. I usually manage 2 or 3 zones worth of travel before it disconnects. That includes RoF, EoK, RoS, as well as GMM. I haven't travelled many other places since I returned, except spent a little time in HH Seb. And yes, would discon there when pick hopping too. I'll for sure try the ini's before I do something drastic.

I've done the file integrity scan option in the launcher a couple of times, but never finds anything. It's cool, I'll work on it after this exp thing is over, my little zerker number 2 only has 15k aa at the moment. Got a lot of catching up to do, and can do that in GMM pretty easily. Thanks for mq2berzerker by the way, now that my tank can hold agro my 2 boys are ripping it up :)

Do you crash on all toons or just one? If it's one find anything in the EQ folder with that toons name in it and what I do is make a folder with that toons name and put all the toon name files in there and then login to game and should see better results. You will lose hot buttons, socials and UI layout but should be stable. I have had to do that to 5 toons, even with a brand new computer built in January and everything brand new. Funny thing was that it was default UI and no hotbuttons and socials but removing them and having them rebuilt fixed the issue.

i dont know if its true, but i believe there is a bug that makes bad ini files come out of eq, and once they are bad, eq becomes unstable, it just feels like that is the issue more often than it should be.

I get random crash dumps and disconnects all over when zoning alot. I sent the most recent dumps to eqmule and they have disconnected zoning from pok to frerott or pok to butcherblock. It doesn't seem to matter which zones after moving and zoning for awhile I either get a dump file or back to the login/server select.

Code:
[Plugins]
mq2aaspend=1
mq2advpath=1
mq2afnuke=0
mq2autoaccept=1
mq2autocamp=0
mq2autoforage=1
mq2autogroup=0
mq2autologin=1
mq2autoloot=1
mq2autosize=0
mq2bandolier=0
mq2bardswap=0
mq2bucles=0
mq2bufftool=0
mq2bzsrch=1
mq2camera=0
mq2cast=1
mq2charnotes=0
mq2chat=0
mq2chatwnd=1
mq2combat=0
mq2cpuload=1
mq2cursor=0
mq2custombinds=1
mq2customsound=0
mq2debuffs=1
mq2dpsadv=0
mq2eqbc=1
mq2eqbugfix=1
mq2eqim=0
mq2events=0
mq2exchange=1
mq2fearrunner=0
mq2feedme=0
mq2finditem=0
mq2fps=0
mq2gmail=0
mq2gmcheck=0
mq2headshot=0
mq2heals=0
mq2hud=1
mq2hudmove=0
mq2ic=1
mq2irc=0
mq2itemdisplay=1
mq2killtracker=0
mq2labels=1
mq2linkdb=0
mq2log=1
mq2map=1
mq2medley=0
mq2melee=1
mq2missing=0
mq2moveutils=1
mq2nav=1
mq2netbots=0
mq2netheal=0
mq2nonagwindows=0
mq2notepad=0
mq2paranoid=0
mq2plattracker=0
mq2posse=1
mq2pvpalert=0
mq2raidutils=0
mq2randomstuff=0
mq2relaytells=0
mq2reward=0
mq2rez=1
mq2search=0
mq2slave=0
mq2spawnmaster=1
mq2spawns=0
mq2speaker=0
mq2spellhotkeys=0
mq2spellsearch=0
mq2targets=0
mq2telnet=0
mq2tooltip=0
mq2tracking=0
mq2tributemanager=0
mq2twist=1
mq2vendors=0
mq2viewport=0
mq2xptracker=1
mq2easyfind=1
MQ2DamageParser=1
MQ2TargetInfo=1
MQ2XAssist=1
mq2berzerker=1

And I'm using default UI on the toons that keep getting the crash. 2 more dump files sent to eqmule

I made a list of some plugins and a little bit of info.

Key thing here is, you need to say to yourself, does this plugin do something for me that i can use and want?, if you don't use its functionality almost all the time unload it.

INI:
#Plugins needed
;I deem this plugin as needed, if you box multiple accounts, its just so good
mq2autologin=1
mq2chatwnd=1
mq2eqbc=1
mq2eqbugfix=1
mq2ic=1
mq2itemdisplay=1
mq2moveutils=1

#Plugins for kiss
#there are plugins that kiss as minimum wants to use, i put mq2nav here even though its super nice it just makes kiss so much better too
mq2exchange=0
mq2gmail=0
mq2melee=0
mq2nav=1
mq2posse=0
mq2rez=1
mq2twist=0

#QoL Plugins
mq2aaspend=1
mq2advpath=1
mq2autoaccept=1
mq2autoforage=1
mq2autogroup=0
mq2autoloot=1
;use by mq2melee so remember to load as needed.
mq2cast=0
mq2easyfind=1
mq2eqwire=1
mq2feedme=1
;load mq2hud only if you use plugins that require it or have hud info set up yourself
mq2hud=1
mq2map=1
;if you dont use the guild portal guy, can unload this
mq2portalsetter=1
mq2spawnmaster=1
mq2yes=1

#class
#handled by class.cfg files
;mq2berzerker=0
;mq2rogue=0

#parsers handle them with custom cfg files
;mq2dpsadv=0
;mq2damageparser=0

#specials
#special plugins that do special things for us.
mq2camera=0
mq2targetinfo=1
mq2paranoid=1

#info trackers
#we like to see this stuff, so its on
mq2xptracker=1
mq2killtracker=1
mq2plattracker=1

#Misc used by some macros
mq2log=0
MQ2Reward=0
mq2dannet=0
MQ2bzsrch=0

#unload these plugins, unless you know what they do and have a specific purpose/need for them. They do not bring any profit for you out of the box.
;mq2cpuload doesnt really do anything you couldnt do with editing cpuaffinity in the eqclient.ini
mq2cpuload=1
mq2custombinds=1
mq2debuffs=1
mq2labels=1
mq2xassist=1

Tech - Procedure for tracking down crashes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back