• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Onboard graphics (1 Viewer)

RedCents
304¢
If I get a cpu with an onboard graphics and a bunch of ram (128gb). And also attach an old 6gb graphics card that still clocks better than said onboard cpu. Would EQ take advantage of both of them or just one? I read on here that it's gooder to have more memory in the graphics card in order to multi-box.

only 1, unless sli - and eq sucks with sli
Sic you missunderstood the question
they werent asking about SLI ( the use of two of the same cards at once)
they were asking if they were to get a system with intergrated grapics ( i have a pc that runs off of soly intergrated grapics. runs 15+ accounts no issues)
and then put an actual card in would eq take advantage of both.

And to answer the question.
No. itll use whatever you have your display attachted to
But Depending on your cpu on what intergrated grapics your using. the intergrated may be better then the card, but having a card is better. lets the cpu just do cpu things.
( Userbenchmark is pretty good at comparing stuff)

Sic you missunderstood the question
they werent asking about SLI ( the use of two of the same cards at once)
they were asking if they were to get a system with intergrated grapics ( i have a pc that runs off of soly intergrated grapics. runs 15+ accounts no issues)
and then put an actual card in would eq take advantage of both.

And to answer the question.
No. itll use whatever you have your display attachted to
But Depending on your cpu on what intergrated grapics your using. the intergrated may be better then the card, but having a card is better. lets the cpu just do cpu things.
( Userbenchmark is pretty good at comparing stuff)
no i understood the question.

i said:
only 1, unless sli - and eq sucks with sli

as in. no you can not use multiple video cards unless you are running SLI (which we know that is not the case here) and in which case, if you were running sli eq sucks with it.

Gator wasnt asking about SLI tho.
And also attach an old 6gb graphics card that still clocks better than said onboard cpu. Would EQ take advantage of both of them or just one?
He literally asked about using 2 (different) gpu's at the same time - I know that's not SLI but it's in the same ball park, fairly sure you knew what Sic meant

If your CPU has integrated graphics and another GPU you can use the integrated gpu and the other one. I have a laptop that uses the intel integrated GPU until the load is too much and once i start to load more clients it will start to use the dedicated Nvidia GPU the laptop has using both at the same time.

I can run about 30-35 eq clients on Intel UHD 630.

If your CPU has integrated graphics and another GPU you can use the integrated gpu and the other one. I have a laptop that uses the intel integrated GPU until the load is too much and once i start to load more clients it will start to use the dedicated Nvidia GPU the laptop has using both at the same time.

I can run about 30-35 eq clients on Intel UHD 630.
Do you need specific settings/software to do this or did your laptop always do this? Also how can you tell this is the case?

Nvidia control panel will do it for you. In fact you can go into the control panel and make it only use the dedicated GPU if you wanted to.
i had to go do that last night on the alienware former emu server i was playign with before i pawned it today (worth al ot more than its specs) After certain updates, and ANY vid card driver updates on that particular model, you have ot go into bios and disallow it from doing that, or else the vid card wont work. i discovered this after fighting with 3 diff hdmi cables and al lkindsa crap trying t ofigureo ut why it wouldnt play. Then, i found i ALSO had to then install a very specific nvidia driver that is no longer available on their site lol (the page is there if follow an old link but yo ucant search it and you cant download, i found it elsewhere) and was only a beta version of..idk what, in order to then get the sound to come out along with the video lol. yes, i know, but there was no option for digital audio or anything else til i did that. THEN i found that device manager had disabled like 6(??) audio "devices" within nvidia, that i then reenabled to get it all working.

There are a lotta weird things you discover when youre looking for very speciic information, like why that particular alienware wouldnt play hdmi or sound after that was fixed, or whether or not your bios supports the computer controlling which card is in use, etc. Sometimes it just seems silly the things we find that somehow get turned off, or on, and often times shouldnt even be an option or an issue lol.

Im kinda wondering about the 6gig "old" card, i mean it could be a few years old but its not exactly a 9800gt from 20 yrs ago lol. and 128gigs of ram..jesus, if eqs all youre gonna do and youre NOT gonna be playing dozens of accounts, thats overkill, but hey, invest in the future (i just wouldnt do overkill until electronics supply gets back to normal, prices are still insane for some things) The 2gig cards hubby bought in hawaii 8? 10? years ago still sell for $230 bucks and up. otoh, you can get 1gig cards (most anything thats not dualslot lol) for 6-8bucks on ebay lol.

I wonder how the new Intel Iris Xe graphics are going to be at handling a bunch of EQ sessions!

I got a new pc. Got the I9 12900K with 128GB ram and a RTX 3060 12GB on a windows 10 desktop. Wanted to update that it does look like shared memory is a thing.shared memory.jpg

I got a new pc. Got the I9 12900K with 128GB ram and a RTX 3060 12GB on a windows 10 desktop. Wanted to update that it does look like shared memory is a thing.View attachment 35373
giphy.gif

Discussion - Onboard graphics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back