• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Old player returning, new to multiboxing (1 Viewer)

Pinger

RedCents
110¢
Hello everyone! I just loaded EQ for giggles (and to show my boys what real games look like). I haven't played since... The very early 2000's, but would like to fire it up again. I won't do it though without multiboxing; something that I have never done before.

So far I have found all kinds of information on how to start multiboxing once you have all of your characters set up, but nothing about HOW to get your account(s) set up for multiboxing in the first place.

My main questions:

Do you have to have a separate account for each character or can you play multiple characters from the same account at one time?

Is there a no BS starting from the ground up step by step guide on how to get started? Every "guide" I have found so far assumes quite a lot has already been accomplished from where it begins.

Any helpful tips and hints would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello everyone! I just loaded EQ for giggles (and to show my boys what real games look like). I haven't played since... The very early 2000's, but would like to fire it up again. I won't do it though without multiboxing; something that I have never done before.

So far I have found all kinds of information on how to start multiboxing once you have all of your characters set up, but nothing about HOW to get your account(s) set up for multiboxing in the first place.

My main questions:

Do you have to have a separate account for each character or can you play multiple characters from the same account at one time?

Is there a no BS starting from the ground up step by step guide on how to get started? Every "guide" I have found so far assumes quite a lot has already been accomplished from where it begins.

WELCOME! There is a lot of info here and it can get overwhelming if you are not familiar with all the terminology. Suggest checking out this link https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/newbie-guide-for-mq2.76841/ to start as it explains much of the stuff you may have questions about.

As for the accounts, you can only play ONE character from an account at a time and do you will need multiple accounts to play more than one character at a time.

Take your time reading through it all and post questions as they come up. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Welcome!

I'm a newly returned like yourself - there's TONS of information, so asking specifics is a great way to go about it. You do need a seperate account for each character you want to play. It can be as simple or complicated as you want it, really. The guide linked above is a great place to get started.

Welcome to fun!

Only 1 character on an account can be online at a time. You can have 14 total characters per account depending on your account type. F2P gets 2 slots, Silver and All access get the most.

I run more than one icon on my desktop to log into the game with. I have found in the past that it makes it easier for me to handle and when something goes wacky I can use a different icon

Others just use the one icon and once logged in with the first account then they tab out and use the same icon and put in the name for the second account.

Many players have an account for healers types or tank types or maybe a selection of your favorite group which includes different. Keep in mind what your putting on which account - like the Enchanter that casts mana buffs and haste should probally be on a differnt account that mana users like mages etc are on so the chanter can buff them

But don't worry, if you don't like a character just delete him and make a new one or like most of us make a new accounts and then you wind up with like 15 accounts!!!!

You're going to be creating a lot of accounts. In order to head off problems in the future make sure you create a Notepad file and enter every station name and the password you used for that account. Also ensure you note what email address you used and phone number and also the security questions.

Later if you ever need to recover that account you'll find that having all that information written down will save you a lot of grief!

I strongly recommend you run the built-in Everquest Tutorial on each character at least to level 10. Do that while maybe just using Windows alt-tabbing to multibox just a couple characters as it will get you up to speed on basic Everquest operation and window switching. Then dive into Very Vanilla and the tremendous resources available here!

Welcome. Yes, make a separate acct for every character. Note you can only create 5-6 per email acct...then you might run into some issues or have to wait a bit. To save you time pick a Tank/Enc or Bard/Cleric as the core of your team...then add you filling/fun based on preferences. It'll make sense as you level up and skillup with the various assist macros and/or plug-ins.

If you want to go the easy route i've heard good things about rgmercs. I'm a fan of the CWTN/SIC Plug-ins. Can highly recommend Enc/Cler/Berzerker and Mage class is in beta so you can use that one for free for a bit.

CWTN/Sic are pretty good about adding features if it makes sense with the build and adds value.

Pro-tip: if you're not planning to stay subbed (subscribed) on all accts I recommend Tank (Sub) / Enc (Krono pop at 110), / Cleri (Krono pop at 110) and 3x mage or 2x mage 1 ranger (Those two classes fair really well in non-prestige gear)

Gifted you a Free month of Redguides.

You will need to read up and ask lots of questions.

Best thing is, there are TON here that love to answer questions
dont forget to Redcent those that are helpful

I wrote this up for my brother who got me started in EQ back in 2000.... then he left for over 10 years and recently came back... the game changed a lot... He is just 3 boxing but is using muleassist but may get the bug do do more :P

The (boxing) Returning Player Guide

1. Obtain 6 accounts

2. Make a group. Normally this would be: Tank, Healer, slower, cc, dps, dps
Bard is wanted in melee groups
Enchanter is wanted in caster groups
Ignore norms and do what you want to do.

3. Get MQ2 subscription. Spend some money.
Many boxing video's and guides available.
CWTN plugins (my personal fav)
MuleAssist
Kissassist
ISboxer (different vendor)
(there are more, these may be easist to learn)

4. Learn stuff
If you have been gone more than 4 years go to POK and run each toon thru the tutorials to get your free aug and free house. By the time you have done this six times you will be pretty familius with the changes in the game. On FIND Secalna Galnor..... (next to Loyalty vendor in POK)

5. If you don't go the 'heroic" route, do Hero's Journey. (from inventory screen, click Ashievements button, find Hero's Journey and go from there. Taking your group into the tutorial, doing all the quests there before leaving will get you a full set of visible gear. Then doing the CR quest get you the jewelery. A few ags will drop along the way.

If you want to group with others and want to only do high end content sooner then get a group and go 'heroic" with the jump to 85. There are lots of leveling guides.

TIP: each hot zone drops an aug.... even the old ones so you can get them for your group pretty easily. With a full group you should be able to easily kill in zones 5 leavels higher than you. (Red con mobs)

6. Not in that much of a hurry but did go heroic? Do you plan on raiding with at least 1 toon? or just want to be Uber?

1. Start with HOT (House of Thule) expansion and do the missions/quests for the trophies. (they go in your house)
2. Go through each expansion doing progression for updated gear.
4. Get all tradeskills to 300.
5. Do hunter in each zone. (for large bags)
6. Do collects in each zone

7. EQ tradeskills and making gear is expensive.... most folks create a trader, fill him up, on at least one account and put him on, OFFLINE, each night when you leave. OR buy and sell Krono's if you have money to burn.

8. Have fun.

I'm going to try not to cover too much of what has already been mentioned.

This isn't directly related to your question, but as far as getting back going in Everquest, my honest suggestion is to start and do the tutorial and do it proper. Read all the popup chat stuff they're telling you. The tutorial really, genuinely covers a lot of ground if you go through it and pay attention. That will go a long way in re-familiarizing yourself with EQ itself. - One thing I don't remember if it covers, but you'll want to know. Alt+O brings up your options and in the Display tab you can adjust your Far Clip to see further or less depending on your needs.

Ok, on to the question at hand. There is a simple step by step guide to getting started boxing with RedGuides.

As for the boxing aspects. Redbot and Sic both have great material on their respective youtube channels for getting set up. The bare bones basics are covered in Redbot's 6 part series. That playlist can be found here. - Watch it through once and don't even try to follow it. Then go through and follow it step by step and you'll be able to basically function in the game. Video's 1 through 4 are incredibly important. Video 5 is specifically about KissAssist, one of the macros here. While it's technically optional viewing from here on out, I would give it a watch to see if KissAssist is the macro you think you'll want to use to control your characters in battle moving forward. Video 6 is about MuleAssist, a variation of the KissAssist macro. I would completely skip video 6 for now (MuleAssist is great, just don't worry about it until you get going. You don't want to get information overload and do nothing instead)

---

We're now moving on past the basic step by step directions to get started to really getting you into the game in a way you can move forward theoretically all the way to end game here.

Ok, you've followed Redbot's videos 1-4 (at least) and you have characters in the game and have the very basics of EQBC covered. You're actually almost there depending on your decisions moving forward. There's a ton of things you can do here, you've already seen some of them mentioned. Just for controlling your characters in combat there's KissAssist, MuleAssist, RGMercs, X-Gen unified, CWTN Plugins ... It's a lot to take in all at once. Here's the good news. You don't have to. You can get moving forward with one of two beginner friendly macros to control your characters and you already have access to them as a level 2 user. (You can also use the 50 redcents you now have to purchase an additional 30 days of level 2)

Option 1: KissAssist - Redbot covers this in video 5. I won't go over this much since he already did. It's pretty straightforward to get going and it can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. Just want to get in game and play? That's what the KA ini library is for. Want it to cast things under precise conditions in the exact order you have predetermined? It can do that too, but that's more involved. (Don't worry, it's actually easy to learn a little bit at a time and not get overloaded)

Option 2: RGMercs - This is exactly what I hoped RedGuides would offer when I joined. Rather than go on about it, I will link you to my post about it a year ago. - The only thing I will add from that post. First starting out with RGMercs
/rg ChaseOn *YourDriverName* and /rg ChaseOff
are incredibly useful. Having all the characters Chase you is perfect for zones like the tutorial where you're not setting up camp anywhere and doing a lot of moving and fighting. In chase mode they follow you around but continue to fight like they're in a camp, but the camp revolves around your driver at all times. (By 'Driver' I just mean the character you physically move with your keyboard when you go from place to place)

Now is the time for me to add. CWTN Plugins will get mentioned a lot. They're awesome and are pretty beginner friendly. They also 'just work', but the idea of joining something only to immediately be told 'if you just pay $20 more, you can also get this!' is off putting to me personally. I don't want that to sound like a shot at CWTN Plugins. They're absolutely worth their price, but I wouldn't recommend them to you before you've even seen what MacroQuest has to offer you. If you decide this all for you, then looking in to what CWTN and Sic have been working on with those Plugins would certainly not be a bad idea.

All of the macros/plugins for controlling characters are worth looking into. They all exist for a reason. But it's too much to do before you've even accomplished swinging your sword in game.

---

Other little things you may want to do on brand new characters -
  • Set all character to auto consent group, guild, and raid - This is in your options under the general tab. It automatically gives consent to anyone in those categories to drag your corpse should they need to.

• Get some basic bags - Secalna in PoK has a quest that nets a 50% weight reduction bag you can do at any level and it's a great start. Mixing Bowls on live now carry 10 giant items and are basically free if you don't mind an extra click past the tradeskill window to open your bags.

• Bind Your Soul outside of the tutorial once you're done in there. If you're on live, the Guild Lobby makes sense and there's soul binders in the east and west wing. (There's also corpse summoners you can use to get your corpses back for rezzing which is great) - If you don't remember, where you are bound is where you will show up when you die or cast gate.

• Set up corpse drag hotbuttons. /corpsedrag allows you to, hands free, drag up to 2 corpses /corpsedrop while you have a corpse targetted stops you from dragging them. /corpse allows you to drag whatever corpse you're currently targeting to wherever you're currently standing if you're close enough (so you must spam it to keep a corpse with you while running, but it allows you to move a 3rd corpse, by hand, pretty easily)

• Feign death classes - If you will ever spend more than 5 seconds playing, by hand, a class that can feign death, set up an audio trigger for a failed feign - EQ Button - Actions - Audio Triggers - Pattern: *charname* has fallen to the ground

• /claim - for mount and dreamweave satchel - This probably won't apply to new accounts. I know they changed claims for new accounts last(?) year.

• Get a Healer merc - I do this on all non-rezzing classes. Even if you have a dedicated cleric in your full group of 6, wipes happen. Sometimes one character makes it and can save you the run back.

Last edited:
WB.. I came back after a multi year break and this site (people) are amazing. I dont see it mentioned, but there RG does have a discord channel. 110% recommend joining it. Always helpful people in it, for MQ or just general EQ questions.

Welcome back! I've been on a bit of a break, but today I finally get to setup my new computer today! So, I hope to at least get logged in at some point, getting closer to the return.

Also, please join the discord, get some help from us, and join in on the fun conversations.

I wrote this up for my brother who got me started in EQ back in 2000.... then he left for over 10 years and recently came back... the game changed a lot... He is just 3 boxing but is using muleassist but may get the bug do do more :P

The (boxing) Returning Player Guide

1. Obtain 6 accounts

2. Make a group. Normally this would be: Tank, Healer, slower, cc, dps, dps
Bard is wanted in melee groups
Enchanter is wanted in caster groups
Ignore norms and do what you want to do.

3. Get MQ2 subscription. Spend some money.
Many boxing video's and guides available.
CWTN plugins (my personal fav)
MuleAssist
Kissassist
ISboxer (different vendor)
(there are more, these may be easist to learn)

4. Learn stuff
If you have been gone more than 4 years go to POK and run each toon thru the tutorials to get your free aug and free house. By the time you have done this six times you will be pretty familius with the changes in the game. On FIND Secalna Galnor..... (next to Loyalty vendor in POK)

5. If you don't go the 'heroic" route, do Hero's Journey. (from inventory screen, click Ashievements button, find Hero's Journey and go from there. Taking your group into the tutorial, doing all the quests there before leaving will get you a full set of visible gear. Then doing the CR quest get you the jewelery. A few ags will drop along the way.

If you want to group with others and want to only do high end content sooner then get a group and go 'heroic" with the jump to 85. There are lots of leveling guides.

TIP: each hot zone drops an aug.... even the old ones so you can get them for your group pretty easily. With a full group you should be able to easily kill in zones 5 leavels higher than you. (Red con mobs)

6. Not in that much of a hurry but did go heroic? Do you plan on raiding with at least 1 toon? or just want to be Uber?

1. Start with HOT (House of Thule) expansion and do the missions/quests for the trophies. (they go in your house)
2. Go through each expansion doing progression for updated gear.
4. Get all tradeskills to 300.
5. Do hunter in each zone. (for large bags)
6. Do collects in each zone

7. EQ tradeskills and making gear is expensive.... most folks create a trader, fill him up, on at least one account and put him on, OFFLINE, each night when you leave. OR buy and sell Krono's if you have money to burn.

8. Have fun.
Very nice! this is a great guide for returning players looking to box. Thank you!!

Question - Old player returning, new to multiboxing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back