• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

OK.. EQ or WoW? Let's settle this once and for all! =) (1 Viewer)

PetahGriffin

RedCents
OK, I just wanted to throw this out there..

I have friends in real life that play WoW and love it but have never played EQ. As many issues as I do have with Sony and EQ at times, I must say that I really do love it. It's kind of like that girlfriend that can be a real pain in the butt sometimes, yet you keep coming back for more because deep down.. you know you love her. Heh heh anyway, I now have a friend who has never played an MMO before, and he is having a hard time chosing where to go.. Eq or WoW?

In order to make a good recommendation for my pal, I am going to try the 10 day trial of WoW to see what the fuss is all about. Keep in mind, I have only played EQ, but I have played for 5 years off and on. I am sure there will be interesting differences, but I wonder what might be better in this foriegn territory, and what could be worse.. nerfing, patching, and things like that as well as the actual game content, and last but definetly not least, the social environment. I have one disc left in the installation process, and will hopefully be creating a character shortly.

I pose a question now to those who didnt get bored so far and move on.. hehe.. For those of you out there who have had a solid foot in both of these games, what do you think? Is one better? Or are they both good/bad/pheh in their own unique ways?

Perhaps more directly, and if possible.. Which would you make your main game if you had to choose one to devote a monthly bill for?

EQ or WoW?

This is real easy for me....EQ EQ EQ EQ I have played WoW its cool at first but it gets real old quick and it almost seems to dam easy at times. Like u cane get a character up to lvl 10 all by ureself no problem in one day. /shrug I love EQ and Hate eq2 and really dont like wow that much. another thing about wow is that it is very cartoonish which lets it run better on computers but it just doesnt do it for me personally. There u have my 2 cents take it and run lol :p

smokinghot said:
This is real easy for me....EQ EQ EQ EQ I have played WoW its cool at first but it gets real old quick and it almost seems to dam easy at times. Like u cane get a character up to lvl 10 all by ureself no problem in one day. /shrug I love EQ and Hate eq2 and really dont like wow that much. another thing about wow is that it is very cartoonish which lets it run better on computers but it just doesnt do it for me personally. There u have my 2 cents take it and run lol :p

well atm im retired from eq for awhile to test WoW. So far fairly easy but a change of pace especially since i was constantly on EQ

EDIT: Well screw the idea of trying it out again. Heading out to Iraq for the 3rd time damn. Oh well at least i'll have some loot to get a bad ass ggaming pc when i get back. Thx you guys for all your help loved it and like Swartz says, "I'LL BE BACK" Anyways i'll be hitting up the forums as im gone again.

I prefer WoW, but I haven't played in a while, all I know is when I get my accnt paid for again, I will be able to boost the AQ opening to 70% with all my bank and such! :)

I always knew mats would come in handy!

I've played WoW for a while, and went back to EQ. Like smoke said, it seemed good at first, but it's just too damn easy.

EQ seems lame after playing WoW I think. Maybe after I get full epics and raid some more I'll be sick of WoW. BF2 will always own everything though omfgzor !

Tone said:
EQ seems lame after playing WoW I think. Maybe after I get full epics and raid some more I'll be sick of WoW. BF2 will always own everything though omfgzor !

I Must Agree with this man BF2 owns except for them dam glitching stat padders....lol :p

EQ all the way, every other game is just a break from EQ, real EQers will always come back to EQ no matter the next big game. I don't play any videogames, haven't played for years but EQ is always there. I played every MMORPG and nothing compares to EQ. Good games like WoW, EQ2, DAoC, etc can keep me entertained for a couple of months but I know I will always come back to EQ.

I have friends that play WoW in real life too, and I'm trying to get them to play EQ. I've played WoW for a couple levels and it was ok, a lot different from EQ but I'd get used to it. My friends tell me that the high end of the game kind of loses it's flavor after a while (they're in one of the top guilds of their server). Whereas EQ has been out ALOT longer and has much more content; I'm sure WoW will catch up, but it's taken them a while to make even a new instance, which my friends say if it sucks they're coming to EQ. And the reason why I didn't like the EQ2 demo is because it was alot like WoW. Probably the main reason why EQ is the best and will always be the best is because it was the first great MMORPG and has been going strong for 7 years, and I doubt it's going to fail anytime soon.

btw ecu dude, I can't quite make out your avatar...

Is that what I think it is?

Is that where babies come from?

Is it? IS IT?? zomg!!!!??!!!

Well I Play EQ2, EQ1 and WOW
1. EQ1 crap after POP came out. Large Guilds control everything, XP is too slow
and you can sit for hours LFG, with nothing to keep you entertained
Total play time in EQ1 = 6 years.
2. EQ2 LAG fest, and can not complete most questing without a group. Again sitting
around LFG for hours. Mobs are to strong, and a lot of time waisted trying
to figure out how to kill one when they nerft the players evey week or so.
Played from day one of Beta.
3. WOW been playing for two weeks, raised a warror to level 32 so far. Always
something to do that you can do solo or can do epics in a group. It is
cartoonish, however its a change from EQ's drab same same colors, textures
and mobs. EQ adds a new mob it same as an old one only bigger or a different color.
Wow allows you to level to 60 in a resonable time, create a new class and enjoy
learning to play the new class. EQ averages a year to level to max on the average
player, to long if your playing for fun.

Summary
If your playing to enjoy the game and learn to play different class's, play WOW.
If your playing because you have no social life, and want to spend hours of tedious
LFG, play EQ or EQ2.

PS
With WOW you can play and handle most mobs at any level, In EQ or EQ2 most
mobs will handle you solo.
Its your choice
I have backed out of EQ and EQ2 so I could enjoy logginh into a game after work
and play, not sit LFG until time to go to bed.
Later

Maybe I should post a little more. I've played EQ1, EQ2, WoW, and now I'm playing SWG.

EQ1 - I think EQ has gotten much too easy after PoP or so. Back in the day it was a social game. Nowadays if you're not level 70 with maxed gear and AAs it's a crap game for the most part. But it's the players that make it that way, not SoE. However, I think the lower levels are the most fun. But not many people think that way, I either level up as fast as I can, or it's crappy. IMHO everyone that wants to rush to get maxed is on a power trip.

EQ2 - I think EQ2 is an attempt by SoE to try to get people to play their games. It's still a decent game, but there's a lot I would change. For example I don't like combat locking. I think this just keeps players from interacting and helping each other, you can't buff or heal other players without being in a group and you can't group invite while in combat. I hate playing a priest and watching somebody die. But there's still a lot that can be done alone. I leveled to 50 mostly solo. If you want really nice stuff, yeah, you'll need a group. If you want to do a really hard quest, you'll need a group. It's the same in every game.

WoW - No substance to it. If you're one of the people that thinks you can win an MMO be being high level and having the best gear, this is the game for you. As I said, I like leveling, not being a high level.

SWG - A decent game. I don't see what so many people have against it. I think it's more realistic than other games. It's more of a "what would really happen" game than a "we'll do this to make things easy for you" game. There's plenty to do whether you're solo or in a group.

When the EQ2 PvP servers come out, if they do it right and release an SZ style server, EQ2 will be the best MMO out there. I completely disagree with the guy saying that leveling sucks. It's much more fun than WoW's leveling to me, mostly because it's not all in instances (which, don't get me wrong, are fine and all, but get old not having to compete with others). And on his lag issue, that sounds like a personal problem here. I'm running on a shitty emachines and it's no worse than EQ1 (which is quite odd IMO).

Personally, I am now, have been, and will continue to be, a loyal eq1 fan. After wasting a week or so on eq2, wow, coh, and swg, I came back to eq1. If you are not one of the people that is devoted to being the superman lvl 70 with awesome gear without working for it, EQ is the only way to go. I ENJOY having to struggle to get my characters up to the higher levels. I ENJOY having to take time to research and learn more and more every time I play in order to advance. But, like I said, if you want to be a maxed lvl toon with uber gear without working for it, go to wow.

EDIT: Oh and btw, I've been playing for roughly 6 years on and off when I wasn't in Iraq, and I still don't PL my toons or even consider myself elite.

OK, time for an update to the story.

I tried WoW, gave it a fair chance, and I can't put my finger on it but I am going to stay with EQ1.

Unfortunately, despite my many words of advice, my friend is going with WoW! Oh well, I suppose he'll see the light one day if I bug him enough.

The only thing that made him choose it though, was that all of his work buddies play WoW. I have a feeling that because of the familiarity of the Warcraft name, people will go there before EQ if they have never played either and/or are new to MMO's. So it kind of sucks but WoW is more mainstream I guess.

Oh well. I appreciate all of your input, but by all means, don't stop posting your comments!

Never played EQ1, but saw my friend play it on PS2 when it was on there. Very fascinating game. I have only heard bad things about EQ2. Usually whenver a sequel comes out, the idea is that it should be better, not worse. EQ1 has been around for a very long time and seems like it owns.

I have played COH and quite frankly, compared to other online games it sucked. Maybe its better now since COV came out but i doubt it. This is just my opinion on the game.

I have thouroghly enjoyed playing WoW. I have enjoyed the leveling of my character. The world is fascinating to experience and the game is very easy to understand. I agree with the comment made earlier that if you want to have a "game" to play without having to rely on other players all of the time, then WoW is the way to go. It is a very mainstream game and relates to more players with it's style. I enjoy it because I am a LOTR freak. I love Tokien and his style and WoW seems to be more that style. There was supposed to be a LOTR online game that was coming out but I think they dropped the ball for some reason or another.

Quite frankly, TFC was by far one of the funnest games that I have ever played and will always remember it when speaking about online games.

Really its all about preference. One game can be great in one persons mind and sucky in anothers. It's all about your own style. That why there are some who play COH, or SWG. Me, im WoW. I have tried SWG, COH, and Halo and WoW addicts me more than any of them. TFC comes in a second. Thats just my style.

And your friend chose a good choice. Alot of it depends on who plays it too. I would rather play EQ with my friends, thatn WoW alone. When its all said and done of course. Granted most of the time it is super fun without them, but they add a whole lot of it. And thats why you play the game anyways, because you consider it fun. Its a hobby, something that you can look forward to. Lol, some people don't look at it that way though, thinking that it is "real life."

I am not going to spend ages reading all the replies, so sory if this has been said b4 :P

I play WoW, but my mate sugested playing EQ2 so i downloaded the demo, i played it and i hate it :( the suposedly good graphics are crap, the combat system is really bad, and many other options pale in comparison to WoW really, it just reminds me of a 3d version of runescape (i h8 that word, but i had to say it) with some extra attacks.

This is just my opion, please have a look at the game your self and make your own mind up because you can nver judge a game by what other say because other people have different opionins.

This has nothing to do with What your talking about, but, I have a quest, you see WoW is being messed up we had to download something for it a patch or W?E and my brother did, but now there are No realms meaning no Characters, this isn't for good, right?

It's just a patch. The realms will come back up and your characters will be there.

start eq now = being completely new to old content... like you wont know the jokes, you wouldnt know the old times... its like a conneticut yankee in king arthur's court

Dudes I first playing PC games way back when the Ultima series where out. loved them all then... I started with playing Ultima Online the ONLY Only MMRPG available back then, then I played Eq1 hell i played it when way back when you had to push a meditate button, and sit to med, stare at a spell book and all you could do is hear what was going on around you..loved it anyways, lvled many toons and my DE wiz rocked. I drop out of EQ1 about 2 months before EQ2 came out, played that LOVED THE graphics THEY where awesome, playability at that time was rough and bugy but they improved it since release. But all in all the game was Graphically awesome, and lots of content. Now Wow is my game of choice, why you ask, ill give you some reasons, 1) i can't devote 8 hours a day on EQ1 or 2 after an 8 to 10 hour work day and expect to have a family life with my wife or child, 2). I do not want to spend hours on end printing off maps and charts and stuff just to be able to level 10 levels or try to finish some quest that is completly off topic and the hints are horrible. WoW lets me play few hours lvl and compete with their combat system. Yea the graphics arent as superior as EQ2, BUT WHO CARES 3). i dont play just so that i can see the texture and thread detail on my sleeve, honestly how often do you look at your sleeve ?? 4).I want an RPG that I DONT have to wait to ZONE in And OUT of areas, WoW's zones are seemless, 5) I dont have to worry about some dork im my group having us get killed loose Hours of exp and have to re-catch up to the xp lost that WAsent my fault, WoW if i die SO WHAT go to your corpse loot up and go on your merry way.6) Holly mother of marry why is it that everytime i fire up any EQ's i have to PATCH . WoW 1 maintenance day that im in work anyways (Tuesdays BtW) and patches are annouced way ahead of time, which incedently they patch on the same day and time as their maintanance.

I could keep on ranting but those are my reasons, naturally other people will disagree, and try to discredit me and what not but you know what. I DONT CARE EITHER hehe, use this info or dont up to you all, My two coppers, and yes they use coppers as well in WoW :P

WoW seems like perfect for everyone. Everyone likes it. even my girlfriend rolled a troll shaman!! However EQ is VERY addicting if you are in a high end guild. There's many differences between the 2. There are no battlegrounds in EQ. You dont get PvP ranks in EQ. WoW may take only a week or so to complete a difficult quest for armor, but in EQ the quest for getting your Epic armor takes months and months of farming, figuring out riddles, & fighting ridiculously challenging raid encounters. It's worse if you are on a PVP server because at least half of these epic battles occur outside and you will be wiped if someone doesn't want your guild to progress.

Basically EQ is very much more involved than WoW is. I will always <3 EQ but it had it's days and now WoW is the new champ.

I have played both but never got into EQ. WoW on the otherhand is awesome! When I want to solo, I can. When I want to PvP, I can. When I want to Raid, I can. Yes it is cartoonish but why does that have to be a bad thing? I love the graphics. I love the classes and the variability that bizzard has given each one. WoW gets 3 abomination thumbs up

The real question isn't WoW or EQ, but

WoW, EQ, or the Lion King Video game for Sega Genesis...

Now that was a video game!

OMG DUDE!!!! I used to be addicted to the game rofl. I remember sitting in my chair tryin to jump to some ledges and I would actually jump myself and lean in my chair cause i thought it was the only way to get simba to jump so far rofl. I never made it past the Hyenas part tho :(.

WoW is more for the casual gaming type. You can play a new char from 1-60 without relying on groups to get things done. EQ is PT dependent. Thats all great if you have countless hours to waste but if like being self reliant then WoW is the game for you. Its all about preference I suppose.

WoW is a really independent game.
You can do your own thing, quest and level to 60 and even get great epic gear without being in a guild and rarely grouping.

EQ is extremely group dependent, Even buff wise it's hard to do a whole lot to maximum efficency without buffs from 4-5 different classes.

WoW is simply put to easy, The only people who say it's not easy are the people who never played EQ to it's fullest extent.

I played EQ for 6 years. I was in a raiding guild and raided 6 nights a week for 90% of that time. It took me years to get to where I was with my 7 characters.
My main with 1300+ AA and full high end gear, All spells, maxed trade skills and everything else I worked for.

WoW...I've been playing since release a little over a year now. I have almost 3 level 60's, A 60 Rogue main with 8/8 Bloodfang, Epic weapons, Thunderfury which is about the hardest weapon in the game to get requireing about 4000 gold and a shitload of raid effort, maxed skills for everything I regular use + 300 Skinning and Engineering.
6000 Gold in my bag which is more or less equilivant to 2 million plat + in EQ with the prices of some things...All in a year? =\ It's fun to have but honestly I would have liked to work for it more. It was pretty much handed to me, All you need is a guild that is decent and the ability to press a few buttons at the right time.

EQ is torture, But it's rewarding in the long run.

EQ is a lot more dynamic. Better written content and raids, longer access quests and quest lines.

Hopfully WoW will take on some of that and have more indepth content eventually, I'm satisfied for now though..

WoW was specifically designed for the casual gamer (hence getting a lvl and a half rest XP for not playing for 5 days) For people who have families like myself its really the only option out there as far as MMO's go. I played FF11 but after lvl10 you have to get groups going in order to get any decent amount of XP (without being PL of course) My wife and I both enjoy WoW alot becasue if we need to quit playing for any reason such as our son crying nonstop we can simply log off then pick up where we were when we get a chance. I have a lot of friends who played EQ for many years and they all thought it was a great game (better than WoW in many aspects that are mentioned above) but the casual gamer will benefit more from WoW while the hard core gamers will like EQ better.

PS: Starshards is the shizzal

I would just like to add that the strats needed to take down some of the uber mobs in EQ1 are a huge drawing point for me. Its not just go in, hit attack, and heal. there is banishing, DT's, adds (lots usually lol), traps, emotes, change attacks every 10%, ect..... Its just make me want more.

I think that’s why I’m addicted. I've always been the type to get everything in the game. That’s why I loved FF7 so much. It had so much content. (gold chocobo) I dont like it easy. I like to figure it out myself. I like challenge. Who cares if I don’t have a life lmao.

I spend so much money on games that im actually saving money now. I can put my $17 dollars a month in (instead of 100's) and not have to keep reading the instructions to a new game. Learning new controls, new plot, new characters, and all that junk. I still buy new games every once in a while don’t get me wrong, but only the ones recommended to me. I beat them in a month then back to eq lol. Does that make eq better? I don’t know. But for me it fits so I say yes

play eq 2.. its like eq and you dont have to have a group to play.. i have soloed all the way to 50 so far.. i had a few groups to do heritage quests etc but wow just blows... so.. yea screw wow

I've played EQ1, EQ2, SWG and WoW.

Here's how I rate them

SWG - with new CU = I hate it it's more like a console game.
SWG - with old CU = Was an alright game, I did like how you could somewhat change the enviroment

WoW = EQ1 with the EZ button

EQ2 = interesting game I played it for about 6 months, some casual content there with quests and such, there are TONs of quest they through in there for newbs to get exp etc, I don't know what the game is like now but I've heard some good things from it.

EQ1 = No other game out there like it, the new expansions esp DoDh and PoR have a mixed batch of Raiding and Casual content. and good risk Vs reward for casuals. Yes there is still a big gap between Raiders and Causals, but heck I've seen more "family" type guilds become Time flagged in the last year which brings up the Casual player up towards raid leveled people ( granted not uber guild level but a raiding guild )

edit: so I play eq1 and have been for 7 years and I'm sticking to it (for now)

I have played WoW since EU beta. I'd never played MMORPGs before, I had never even thought games like it existed. I only new about Ultima Online, nothing about it though. Played Diablo II: Lod battle.net for a while, there characters were hard to lvl up.
Aaaaaanyway,

WoW I cannot compare to anything cause I know very little about any other MMORPG cept what I read on news sites.
On EU Beta I ended as a lvl30 Night elf hunter.
First 7 months after release I couldn't play as much so my warlock took 6 months to reach lvl60, now I use him for raids.
I like to play slow and do most quest, not just zombify myself on grinding mobs to lvl up quick that is why my rogue turned lvl60 after 2 and a half months. I use him for pvp.

WoW graphics were hot when it was fresh, griffon flights, ships, zeps, all of which Warcraft III fans would like to see 3d-fied were nice, but now it's just cartoonish, I am hoping WoW Expansion will add that spark to the game again.
Gameplay is nice but raids farming gets boring after you have mastered everything.

Although I'd like to play EQ I won't cause I dont wanna pay for another MMORPG. I either quit WoW and get something else or I stay with it.

EQ will always be the most incredible MMORPG out there. It is an amazing game based a lot on group/raid tactics game vs character tactics game like WoW.
I have tried every mmorpg out there, I spent the most time in EQ by far, and then WoW, EQ2 and CoH. Those other games are there for when I get burnt out of EQ, I know I will come back but I need a break so I break out something not very demanding like WoW or some singleplayer game.

I played COH as well.

One word: This game stinks! Okay, so this is three words.

SWG, this game stunk when I played it, for the two weeks that I did. But it has been revamped and I have considered trying it out again simply because I love Star Wars. Cade gave me a heads up on how good it actually is now.

TFC- This game rocked. By far one of the funnest online games that I have ever played. For those of you who don't know, this is Team Fortress Classic that came with Half Life.

WoW- I love this game. The best part is that it relates to the gamer who wants to have fun, and be able to level at the same time.

Why am I bringing all these games up? I don't really know. I am at work and bored and like to dwell on my old games.

However, LOTRO is coming out next month and I am seriously considering buying it. It's like Star Wars, I just like the idea and world. See this post:

http://www.redguides.com/community/showthread.php?t=9954

I'd have to go with WoW. It may be easier to play then eq2, it's just that I don't have TONS of time to put into a game and plus I get bored with Characters rather quick so usally by the time I am bored with a character they are 60 or close to it. Right now I have a level 60 for each class for the Horde. I still log in and play all the time. Right now I am addicted to battle grounds.
I've played eq2 and couldn't really get into it. it took me to long to level up and it didn't seem to reward me for how much time I got into it.
Ii've also played COH and SWG. Both were horrible games. SWG was a great idea but what they came out with was alittle to easy to play and got VERY boring.

OK.. EQ or WoW? Let's settle this once and for all! =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back