• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Not a computer build question (1 Viewer)

RedCents
4,616¢
Please don't rip this thread too much as I know most if not all of you have very very nice computer set ups. My son is my usual computer builder but he is refusing to do it this time as his other obligations interfere. He is the one who had the idea long time ago to put my Windows program on an SSD and EQ on the main drive and with 6 cores. It runs EQ great and has for the last 7-8 years. The most accounts I have loaded was 24 along with 6 or 7 webpages but I am not a great multi tasker so I don't do that often. I get 0 lag ever in the game so I am happy with that one.

Anyway I am not looking to replace that computer but I have another computer that is going down hill if it has not already hit the bottom. I consider that one my office computer - pay bills etc. I want to buy a pre built computer for the office stuff and to have as a EQ backup so I can play in another room if I need to or if my main one goes down. It does not need to run that many copies of the game and I would not be using it for any graphic stuff or 3 d printers etc.

Keep in mind my budget is below low, but here are some suggestions and I was wondering what anyone or everyone thinks. I have seen posts where people have mentioned pre built ones they have had for a long time that work fine so hoping you all won't laugh too much

Those systems both use hardware that's considerably ancient, you could likely get that level of hardware at a secondhand store cheaper.
If this is a secondary computer that you pay bills on then I would recommend getting a laptop. In the last few years laptops have become considerably stronger. This is on sale at Best Buy this week and has a 4c/8t processor 12GB of ram and a Vega graphics card. It could probably run 18 everquest characters at once without issue.

It's $599, though, so a little more expensive than the two you listed. It's MUCH more modern though.

This is just the feedback I was looking for, thanks so far guys.

There are actually 3 listed in my post.

Have to rule out the lap top cause even with a keyboard/mouse capability I can't deal with the screens.

Didn't really want secondhand or rebuilt. But might need to go that way cause that's a pretty nice on from the Dell ebay but it only comes up to $234.00? Seems way too low. Options I took were: 16 gb ram, 240 gb ssd and windows 10 home.

This is just the feedback I was looking for, thanks so far guys.

There are actually 3 listed in my post.

Have to rule out the lap top cause even with a keyboard/mouse capability I can't deal with the screens.

Didn't really want secondhand or rebuilt. But might need to go that way cause that's a pretty nice on from the Dell ebay but it only comes up to $234.00? Seems way too low. Options I took were: 16 gb ram, 240 gb ssd and windows 10 home.
The Dell Optiplex has no upgrade path really, and they have lots of proprietary hardware that makes fixing them a pita. Most of them come from companies who bought them as workstations I think and they dump them in bulk to make room for new hardware. Not to mention while they will run many things they are very old hardware at this point and as such are considered very undesirable for many who want more efficient hardware with better features. Plus they are using onboard GPU so really 16GB of RAM is a must. and I'd spring for the 500GB SSD as well.

Last edited:
look at mircocenter.com look at some of their pre-built units are reasonable , or depending on how low your trying to go you could buy n build ( its not hard to do , everything is mapped out ) and if ya save some stuff like power supply , case , hdd/ssd , video card ( if you do need a video card look at bestbuy.com they have cards as well priced as anyone and usually have a fairly local store if you wanna go pick it up ) .. you can rebuild fairly cheap Mobo-processor combo add ram fresh windows install or mirror from previous machine and you're rolling. *Pro-Tip: If you are going with a fresh build/rebuild be sure to go to microsoft's site and make a boot file on a flash drive to get you up and going before you tear your machine down. Just in case .* I won't flame any of the big computer makers , but going either of the routes i have suggested will not leave you in a gap stuck with proprietary equipment , that stuff makes Grimlock Smash!!

*Pro-Tip: If you are going with a fresh build/rebuild be sure to go to microsoft's site and make a boot file on a flash drive to get you up and going before you tear your machine down. Just in case .* I won't flame any of the big computer makers , but going either of the routes i have suggested will not leave you in a gap stuck with proprietary equipment , that stuff makes Grimlock Smash!!

If you don't have a copy of Windows 10, I had good results using Microsoft's site to create a boot, then purchased a Windows 10 Pro OEM Key for around $30 from a company like Kinguin. Ordering a Windows 10 Pro Flash Drive was around $200 from Amazon, so that'd be a lot of savings that could be applied to hardware.

IRL - Not a computer build question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back