• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Noob Alert... (1 Viewer)

tankinwood

RedCents
130¢
Good evening, folks.
been cruising the forums, watching Sic's videos, the beginners' guide, etc.
This looks like something i really want to give a whirl.
Long ago, i was a hardcore raider... and i mean LOOOOONG ago. Permafrost, Inny, CT, Trak, Avatar of War, Elemental Planes were my progressions... came back a few times over the years when a new release came out, played for a bit, get squished, grab a diff character, get squished, come back in a couple years...

Now, i am looking to carry a group of my own and unsure how or what to do... always heard of MQ but never divulged. Came across your guides from Almar's and definitely piqued my interests.

Perhaps a dumb question... if i were to group box, does the main character/monitor need to be the tank?
- I've read all the posts where "best group" compositions are listed and i always see the videos have the controlled character as the tank.

Have i just not watched enough videos or is that the best practice?

Appreciate the help and thank you for keeping one hell of a repository of information.

Good evening, folks.
been cruising the forums, watching Sic's videos, the beginners' guide, etc.
This looks like something i really want to give a whirl.
Long ago, i was a hardcore raider... and i mean LOOOOONG ago. Permafrost, Inny, CT, Trak, Avatar of War, Elemental Planes were my progressions... came back a few times over the years when a new release came out, played for a bit, get squished, grab a diff character, get squished, come back in a couple years...

Now, i am looking to carry a group of my own and unsure how or what to do... always heard of MQ but never divulged. Came across your guides from Almar's and definitely piqued my interests.

Perhaps a dumb question... if i were to group box, does the main character/monitor need to be the tank?
- I've read all the posts where "best group" compositions are listed and i always see the videos have the controlled character as the tank.

Have i just not watched enough videos or is that the best practice?

Appreciate the help and thank you for keeping one hell of a repository of information.
Welcome @tankinwood
some folks "drive" with anything - but there is a benefit from driving with the tank imo, unless you plan on manually playing one of the other characters

I happen to drive with the tank/puller which is my sk but most if not all of my other friends drive with the puller. Monk or bard or whatever they use to bring mob to group. Once in range tank takes over. All up to you. I think most like to control the pace of the pulls so that is why they like using puller themselves but you def don't have to. You can customize it all after the learning curve. I started mostly all manual with 3 real toons and 3 mercs. Over the years added dps using redguides because they far and away outdid the mercs on dps. Soon as I got hooked on that added cleric and filled the group will real toons and never looked back.

lots depends on your goals and the content - I "drove" with my necro for a very long time - now driving with a tank makes doing missions and more compliated things a bit easier. one of the nice things about driving with the necro, however, was doing additional stuff manually like rooting something, punting something, pulling an extra mob to keep things going --- really depends on how much you're wanting to automate and what you enjoy.

as i say with every thread like this - the most important thing is to enjoy your team, and if you're able to meet your goals with that team, then however you do it is just fine.

You're in the right place to learn a ton! Having a crew to run is exciting and opens up way more opportunity to play! I'm currently driving with my sk, but I imagine you could drive with whatever you want. I just like being in control of the pulls. That's the beauty of it though, you can take control or just let it go and watch the carnage happen! lol Welcome to the community!

Welcome to the community!

I almost always play as the puller and most of the time that is the tank or monk.

Once you really get rolling you will be able to get MQ to play anyone in the group and can really focus on whoever you enjoy playing.

I normally pulled with my bard and controlled the other characters from him.

It does feel cool to charge in as a tank though and know everyone is following and has your back, pulling with a bow is great too.

Very much depends on your playstyle, on TLP when I had a nice camp spot set up and KA autopulling I sometimes would switch to enchanter then and charm mobs then for extra dps.

I have been trying to set up my UI to be more generic lately so I can just load the UI up on another character and all the MQ hotkeys will be good to run without too much editing because that can be a bit of a pain having to do it and over when you have everything set up nice and muscle memory starting to set in.

Welcome to RG!

I change the drivers seat depending on which one of my groups I am playing. For my main group I drive with my paladin and pull. For my secondary group I tend to rotate who I am driving from ( that whole group is set up on plugins which are a step above ) so I can plink around with any toon and the tank will auto pull. For my mage tank pet group I run the enchanter. I pull with him and charm and the mages pets handle the rest.

It's all about what group make-up makes you happy and accomplishes what you want to get done and how you want to play. Some people don't enjoy tanks, for me it all comes down to what kind of chaos I plan to create that night.

Welcome to RG!

I change the drivers seat depending on which one of my groups I am playing. For my main group I drive with my paladin and pull. For my secondary group I tend to rotate who I am driving from ( that whole group is set up on plugins which are a step above ) so I can plink around with any toon and the tank will auto pull. For my mage tank pet group I run the enchanter. I pull with him and charm and the mages pets handle the rest.

It's all about what group make-up makes you happy and accomplishes what you want to get done and how you want to play. Some people don't enjoy tanks, for me it all comes down to what kind of chaos I plan to create that night.
That sounds awesome. I am glad i asked that question. Really happy that you can flip flop whatever you want to drive with minimal impact... unless you don't know how to play the class haha.
Really appreciate the help. Was scared this would turn in EC circa 1999... Thankfully this has been some of the best help i have ever received in this game. This forum is such a rich repository.

Welcome to the site. Yes watch all those great videos. I am able to kill Griklor on one drop now, thanks to Sic's videos. I still cant figure out why i can't beat any of the other missions. I think it must be that pally tanks just aren't as good as SK tanks :( One of these days I will get Seeking the Sorcerer killed and on farm. Looking at his "2 month old toons" makes me cry because his SK was pumping out over 10k AC with 2h and I'm lucky to hit 7300 with a shield.

Welcome to the site. Yes watch all those great videos. I am able to kill Griklor on one drop now, thanks to Sic's videos. I still cant figure out why i can't beat any of the other missions. I think it must be that pally tanks just aren't as good as SK tanks :( One of these days I will get Seeking the Sorcerer killed and on farm. Looking at his "2 month old toons" makes me cry because his SK was pumping out over 10k AC with 2h and I'm lucky to hit 7300 with a shield.

Pally is actually better tank for TOV. I run both and the damage the pally puts out due to undead is ridiculous. Your AC seems a bit low for even tov gear with shield. Are you fully auged up in type 7 with AC augs? And have you started on type 5 Dev augs?

Pally is actually better tank for TOV. I run both and the damage the pally puts out due to undead is ridiculous. Your AC seems a bit low for even tov gear with shield. Are you fully auged up in type 7 with AC augs? And have you started on type 5 Dev augs?
Im still working on the getting the type 5 augs thats why i'm doing grik for the currency. I do love the dps my pally brings. My AC augs are not that horrible I think my lowest ac one is 45. I still need a few more pieces of the TS gear non vis gear. unfortunately all of my vis gear is T1.

My issue on Seeking the Sorc is that 2nd boss kicks my butt fast.

Welcome to the community, if ya have any questions dont hesitate to ask. I am sure one of us here will be able to provide a good answer or you might even get a few new ideas from some of us.

Question - Noob Alert...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back