• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Newbie introduction (1 Viewer)

HuntressGem

RedCents
11¢
Hi all! I have been watching a lot of videos for MQ2 and Kissassist, and I am very impressed. I am at the point where I really need a team to get things accomplished and switching between windows manually is wrecking my fun. I am considering Very Vanilla, any advice for a novice? Thanks in advance! ~Gem

Hi all! I have been watching a lot of videos for MQ2 and Kissassist, and I am very impressed. I am at the point where I really need a team to get things accomplished and switching between windows manually is wrecking my fun. I am considering Very Vanilla, any advice for a novice? Thanks in advance! ~Gem
Welcome.

Best advice is to jump right in.

Using VV is like planting a tree --- best time to do it was 20 years ago, next best time is today.

Having a tank (war, sk, pal) and a real healer (clr, shm) go a LONG way into success (I use clr with great results)

Lots of advice... hmmm how to condense it, first off welcome to the community :)

Next get on discord and join our discord community, there's normally someone around that can help with any questions you might have.

First question really, how many accounts do you have to play with?

Ok as your probably already aware, MQ2 and Redguides can let you effectively automate alot of your gameplay, so you no longer need to keep swapping windows around and actually have more fun playing on a single character with the backup of the rest of your team.

As Sic said, if your have real tank and/or a real healer (gonna say cleric here as they rock) you can go a long way, but I would say the core of any group you play will need a real tank, merc's can pickup the healing and if your only running 4 accounts, you can always run 1 or 2 heal merc's as long as you have a tank

Ok as your probably already aware, MQ2 and Redguides can let you effectively automate alot of your gameplay, so you no longer need to keep swapping windows around and actually have more fun playing on a single character with the backup of the rest of your team.

As Sic said, if your have real tank and/or a real healer (gonna say cleric here as they rock) you can go a long way, but I would say the core of any group you play will need a real tank, merc's can pickup the healing and if your only running 4 accounts, you can always run 1 or 2 heal merc's as long as you have a tank

Sound advice, thanks :)

also to add - there are a ton of us around here (me included specifically) that have strong opinions on group comp and min maxing and such --- HOWEVER, I think enjoying the game and having fun is more important, particularly when you're just getting your feet wet, plus imo it is easier to change toons around once you're established than later on. so definitely play what toons/classes bring you the most fun.

having said that, the trinity tank/heals/CC is still very strong, but don't get too hung up on synergy outside of that for the time being

also to add - there are a ton of us around here (me included specifically) that have strong opinions on group comp and min maxing and such --- HOWEVER, I think enjoying the game and having fun is more important, particularly when you're just getting your feet wet, plus imo it is easier to change toons around once you're established than later on. so definitely play what toons/classes bring you the most fun.

having said that, the trinity tank/heals/CC is still very strong, but don't get too hung up on synergy outside of that for the time being

Indeed, thanks! I have been playing off and on since a few months after release, but up until a few years ago, I always had a very active guild to lean on for group content. Times have changed, so I am thinking "into the box" so to speak. Dual boxing is one thing, but needing more than that has become quite stressful. Hopefully, I can get my RedGuides sub going soon, so I can enjoy more content again! Thanks for all of the advice and the friendly welcome!

Very Vanilla makes it fun to learn new classes and new methods of playing. Picking apart someone else's INI file really helps you learn a classes major capabilities. My biggest problem is constantly forgetting what the acronym behind KISS stands for. I'm guilty of loading up my toons with so many "garbage" casts they don't do the important things. Then periodically I have to get back to basics and reduce the clutter. For example, just because a cleric has 1,458 different heal spells you don't need to script every one! :)

Very Vanilla makes it fun to learn new classes and new methods of playing. Picking apart someone else's INI file really helps you learn a classes major capabilities. My biggest problem is constantly forgetting what the acronym behind KISS stands for. I'm guilty of loading up my toons with so many "garbage" casts they don't do the important things. Then periodically I have to get back to basics and reduce the clutter. For example, just because a cleric has 1,458 different heal spells you don't need to script every one! :)

That makes sense, for sure. With so many spells, I guess it is easy to get caught up in a battle of the bulge lol

Great to see (read) new faces around here. Fairly new here too, couple of months now. I fall under the category of "know just enough to be dangerous". I played way back when (1999) when Eq1 first came out. After a few years a friend of mine started to 6 box...manually. That means he had 6 computers and 6 mice and 6 KB's. He arranged 3 desks together to make a "U" and worked like a madman to get good at it. I used to watch him and just shake my head, knowing I would never be able to do that, but man I really liked the idea of having my OWN group at my disposal. Segway 18 years later, well for me anyways, we have software that not only doesn't require 6 computers but lets me control all 6 characters really well. All I have to do is learn a new "language". Kinda difficult for an old guy but I am getting there especially considering the steepness of the learning curve here.

Wait til the first time you take your 6 box team out for a spin, hehe, yeah. You go someplace. (anyplace really) and pull way too much by accident. Lol you should record it (I wish I did) so you can go back later and laugh at yourself. I was totally unprepared for the situation. It's mostly cause you are not used to controlling 6 characters. Takes awhile to learn how to do that, let alone the whole concept of a group mentality and not just 1 character. You'll learn lol and die. Remember the old saying. "You ain't trying if you ain't dying" lol.

Oh and check out some of the posts on these forums about ISBoxer, might answer some of your questions about the multiple windows open at the same time. ISB has another subscription that costs $15 for 3 months but I think it is worth it. To each, their own.

Welcome to the club.

Great to see (read) new faces around here. Fairly new here too, couple of months now. I fall under the category of "know just enough to be dangerous". I played way back when (1999) when Eq1 first came out. After a few years a friend of mine started to 6 box...manually. That means he had 6 computers and 6 mice and 6 KB's. He arranged 3 desks together to make a "U" and worked like a madman to get good at it. I used to watch him and just shake my head, knowing I would never be able to do that, but man I really liked the idea of having my OWN group at my disposal. Segway 18 years later, well for me anyways, we have software that not only doesn't require 6 computers but lets me control all 6 characters really well. All I have to do is learn a new "language". Kinda difficult for an old guy but I am getting there especially considering the steepness of the learning curve here.

Wait til the first time you take your 6 box team out for a spin, hehe, yeah. You go someplace. (anyplace really) and pull way too much by accident. Lol you should record it (I wish I did) so you can go back later and laugh at yourself. I was totally unprepared for the situation. It's mostly cause you are not used to controlling 6 characters. Takes awhile to learn how to do that, let alone the whole concept of a group mentality and not just 1 character. You'll learn lol and die. Remember the old saying. "You ain't trying if you ain't dying" lol.

Oh and check out some of the posts on these forums about ISBoxer, might answer some of your questions about the multiple windows open at the same time. ISB has another subscription that costs $15 for 3 months but I think it is worth it. To each, their own.

Welcome to the club.

Thanks for the fun story, Vrak! I do use WinEQ + EQPlayNice, which does help keep track of the windows, but ISBoxer never did it for me on either of the games I used it on. So, I am very hopeful that VV will save my pixelated butt, so to speak lol

its best to start on one toon, then see how things go, with your class makeup, work on the cleric and tank on the sk. Now it doesn't have to be end game to speak but enough to bring your hp down some and see how the cleric reacts, is it too slow? tweak till you get it how you like, then start adding more toons running a macro and tweak it till you like it. Last toon to work on is your tank IMO if you choose to run Kiss lots of ini choices and I would test each one out till you find one you like or try making one yourself, nice thing is your healer and DPS are setup so you can sit back and watch your tank and tweak till you like what you want. I stream eq+mq2 and I would watch either Sicprofundus or Maskoi or EQMule or VorpalChicken to see what Kiss is like and what you can get out of them. Also all those that I mentioned are a good resource for kiss related questions and can answer questions regarding anything mq2 related.

its best to start on one toon, then see how things go, with your class makeup, work on the cleric and tank on the sk. Now it doesn't have to be end game to speak but enough to bring your hp down some and see how the cleric reacts, is it too slow? tweak till you get it how you like, then start adding more toons running a macro and tweak it till you like it. Last toon to work on is your tank IMO if you choose to run Kiss lots of ini choices and I would test each one out till you find one you like or try making one yourself, nice thing is your healer and DPS are setup so you can sit back and watch your tank and tweak till you like what you want. I stream eq+mq2 and I would watch either Sicprofundus or Maskoi or EQMule or VorpalChicken to see what Kiss is like and what you can get out of them. Also all those that I mentioned are a good resource for kiss related questions and can answer questions regarding anything mq2 related.

Thanks, Saar!

Question - Newbie introduction

Users who are viewing this thread

Back