• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Patch - New version of Windows 10 is coming NOW! 1809 (1 Viewer)

RedCents
2,768¢
Just in time to throw a curveball to all you devs and all the people trying to solve lag issues one morning you'll wake up and find your system upgraded to the latest version of Windows 10 and all your Custom settings have been lost!

The 1809 update is truly an over-the-top re-installation of Windows 10. It resets many things back to default settings. Try and think and write down anything you've customized like DPI scaling!

One of the best ways to make sure you have a successful upgrade is to prepare your system ahead of time. Basically that means two things... have a good backup on external disk... solve all outstanding Windows problems BEFORE you complicate them by doing an upgrade.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/5-tips-to-prepare-your-pc-for-windows-10-april-2018-update/

https://windows101tricks.com/prepare-pc-for-windows-10-upgrade/

I bring this to your attention now because after every major Windows upgrade I get a rash of calls from people with screwed systems.

I would tell my customers to type in services hit enter go to windows update and disable that shit

Microsoft keeps resetting it back to Enabled. You have to go through hoops to slow down Windows updates. I see though that Microsoft has pulled the 1809 update as of today because of some problems with it. It'll be back though.

Microsoft keeps resetting it back to Enabled. You have to go through hoops to slow down Windows updates. I see though that Microsoft has pulled the 1809 update as of today because of some problems with it. It'll be back though.

Ya you have to disable a few services to get it done. Also remember to make it take no action on restart or crash. Most people forget to change that part. If you just disable Windows Update Service it will turn back on when you restart PC or you crash.

Haha, well nevermind it got pulled. Apparently, there were some folks that had their files deleted... I guess Microsoft lied with the "Your files are exactly where you left them" line.

Yeah it was pulled. No reason to think you're safe though. Remember: Anything you don't have backed up is something you don't care to lose.

I would tell my customers to type in services hit enter go to windows update and disable that shit

Yah this used to work, but for some reason sometimes when you restart your system it auto enables it. Happened to me a couple of times now. I was like wtf is going on, I disabled this shit, its happened about 2-3 x in the past 10 months.

Yah this used to work, but for some reason sometimes when you restart your system it auto enables it. Happened to me a couple of times now. I was like wtf is going on, I disabled this shit, its happened about 2-3 x in the past 10 months.

There is another service that turns it back on. Also you have to go into the recovery tab when you disable it and change it to take no action when you restart.

Patch - New version of Windows 10 is coming NOW! 1809

Users who are viewing this thread

Back