• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - New to multiboxing (6 box group) (1 Viewer)

LD2390

RedCents
118¢
EDIT: I'm doing Free to Play on the FV(?) server. I'm not sure how much that'll account for, but that's the case.
I'm completely new to this entirely

Hey everyone,

So I've been doing a lot of reading this past week or so. I'm about to activate my first month of level 2 and wanted to poll the crowd on my ideal 6 box setup that seems to be more caster oriented. Even though I want a more caster oriented group, I'd like to avoid triple mage etc. type comps.

I understand that may be the meta, but I'm just looking to have a diversified group! I've listed the classes I believe I would like to have, but there are a few things I'm still not quite sure on.

Tank/Pilot: SK
Healer: Cleric
Utility: Ench
Dps: Wiz
Dps: Mage
Dps/utility/off heals: ???

I am not entirely sure what would best be utilized as a 6th box for this current comp I have listed. Whether I could throw a druid into the mix for some off heals/adps?

As a side question, do WIZ/DRU share that much overlap w/ their utility? Is it worthwhile to have a WIZ/DRU in the same group? like do both classes have the same "ports" etc? I'm really REALLY vanilla to all of this to be completely honest >.<

I think I'm just trying to figure out what would compliment the other 5 classes I have listed above if possible.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Really looking forward into starting my EQ adventures :D

Last edited:
I have been messing around with different builds and What I kind of do first is look at the group and say I need this type or class. I first need a tank, then Healer for the group, next would be a porter, add an assist for the tank, who is going to pull and some buffs. With this in mind I can start to play with the different classes and characters. The group setup stills follows the basic group build but I can change up the group to whatever character I want to play with.

So by what you are looking at I would add a shammy or beastlord for the buffs. Another option would be to add a bard inplace of the enchanter. Just depends on what you want to do.

I have been messing around with different builds and What I kind of do first is look at the group and say I need this type or class. I first need a tank, then Healer for the group, next would be a porter, add an assist for the tank, who is going to pull and some buffs. With this in mind I can start to play with the different classes and characters. The group setup stills follows the basic group build but I can change up the group to whatever character I want to play with.

So by what you are looking at I would add a shammy or beastlord for the buffs. Another option would be to add a bard in place of the enchanter. Just depends on what you want to do.

Well I was really looking towards buffing the casters of my group which I believe the ench would do if Im not mistaken. I was also under the impression that sham/bst lord were more "melee" catered buffs? or do they in general benefit everyone?

What about:
SK
Cler
Bard
Wiz
Mage
Bst

SHM/BST share the same buffs correct? though I understand shamans to be better healers?

Thats the great thing about MQ2 and VV. You can try things out and if its not working try something else. Mostly my group set up is different than a lot of folks here. I am still learning what each class can do and how to use them in a group. I don't want to say Make a shaman, or Make a Bard when you might not like the class or have no clue as how to play one.

Again its mostly what you want to play and what you want to do. The tools are here. The knowledge is here. Its up to you how you want to use the stuff. Many here will make suggestions (like I did) but that might not be what you want. To give you something to think about. I am currently work a group with an SK, Cleric, and 4 Necros. (and its a blast but others might not want to do that.) So set you group up and see how it works and if you then need to make changes go ahead and make em. Their is NO correct group set up or cookie cutter group to use. I can only say whatever you choose its great and have tons and tons of fun. And If you have questions or problems with anything related the folks are ready and willing to help.

Looks like you saw it, but I do have a caster group suggestions post here.

I'd go with another pure DPS with caster synergy like Mage or Wiz. Best DPS output for the slot and works well with your ench/mage/wiz nuke boosts combos. Necro can add some boosts too, but for top end content a full 6-man group kills things too fast for DoTs to add much.

Wiz and Druid do overlap on ports. There are a few places that only one class gets though that's more older content. In newer content, sometimes they port to different parts of a zone. Like RoS each get a port to Skyfire. The Wiz ports straight into a mob camp on mid-south wall. The Druid ports into the city itself. It's not huge, but I do sometimes log in the toon that gets my group closer to where I want, just for saving a few minutes of running or dodging see-all type mobs.

I'd rate ports as low utility though, for new content. Between PoK, guild hall portals, campfires and mq2nav/easyfind, you can really automate almost all travel. So yes you could port closer and save some time, but you could also automate it and go get coffee while your group runs to the camp.

The actual super useful thing for multi-wiz or wiz/druid groups is you can bind each one in a T1 zone for new content. Pick a 100% safe loc, near your favorite camps. Then use your "teleport group to bind" AA and you can auto-jump to new camps with zero travel time. Great for corpse runs if needed too.

Druids nuke output is on par with a mage, minus the pet dmg. Druids can do very good DoT dmg, though it's rare you'd need it. Druid's main contribution is a bunch of +crit boosts for the group plus a bunch of stacking mana regen stuff. They are excellent backup healers, though I'd not recommend main healing with one. Both mages and druids tend to eat up their mana fast if you go full bore on nukes, so I'd add some mana level throttles via conditions to even out the group's downtime.

Bst isn't ideal for caster group. They do give tank some more HP via sham style buffs, but they a ton of Bst buffs are +atk/flurry/hasteV4/+abilitydmg type stuff and would only boost your pets. Bst with mage pet toys is nice though, and you do get another mana regen + paragon and Bst do well as backup healers.

I had a diverse caster group a few years ago and I loved it. I had War, Shaman, Necro, Mage, Druid, Ench. I could port, evac whenever in trouble, if someone died the Nec could summon the corpse (there's an AA to do it now), lots of boom damage and efficient dots, etc. Travelling was good because I could invis the Mage and run him somewhere and then just call of the hero to bring the group to me, saves navigating a whole group through tight areas. I also liked the way they worked together, like the Druid had some spell which boosted caster damage so the others benefited from that. Shammy slowed and handled most heals, and Druid helped out with heals in emergencies.

I later tweaked the group by replacing the Druid for a Cleric who was more dedicated to heals, and the Shammy could focus more on damage. It was better I think. I also replaced the Necro with a Wiz which made exping much faster and I replaced the Ench with a Bard which seemed better overall although I never got to see what the ench could do in the 90+ range. So final group was War, Cleric, Shaman, Wiz, Mage, Bard. It became a killer group that could still go anywhere and do anything and was pretty fast at killing. But the original group was more fun and it was better for daily questing because it had the utility of the Necro corpse summons. I also tried 6 mages and various other stuff :D MQ2 lets you play anything you can dream of and try it out.

Last edited:
Question - New to multiboxing (6 box group)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back