• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - New to MQ2 (1 Viewer)

Tfree2799

RedCents
80¢
Hey all,

I've been playing EQ off and on for a while now and have a core group of Pal(120), Shaman(113), Bard(113) and then a bunch or other chars that I throw in the mix. I do not get to play but maybe a few hours at a time a couple times a week for adulting reasons..lol..I need more dps but I can not keep up with when I add a 4th to the mix. I have been watching all of the videos and reading in the forums for a while now and wanting to try MQ2 but have been hesitant for fear of being banned. I do understand the rules and would not ever play while not at the keyboard. Just wondering is it a pretty normal feeling before just making the jump and starting? And also I have a question if I go for it and then purchase a ctwn which is for a year but my lvl 2 access expires does that make the ctwn I purchase go away till to get my lvl 2 access back?

"MQ2" is no longer a thing - it is now just "MacroQuest". the link below has a "returning user" thing to check out.

Getting Started / Returning user

Welcome to RedGuides, fellow EQ multi-boxing enthusiast!

The best place to begin is our "New User Guide" video series, click this TV to watch:

This step-by-step series will teach absolute beginners how to control 6 characters at once while highlighting Nav, AutoLogin, and DanNet, which are fundamental plugins that will enhance every aspect of your game.

Returning users check out - MacroQuest Release Party: https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/macroquest-release-party.80628/ for information about changes from the legacy MQ2 to the new and awesome MQ

re: cwtn license and usage - you are required to have a level 2 access at redguides to be able to download/access them.

Last edited:
Welcome To The Team GIF by MOODMAN

Welcome to RG and welcome back if you're a returning player!

Always start here RG Video

Watch the vids in Sic's signature (I'm sure he will post soon if he has not done already while I'm typing this) and then mess around with Kissassist Beginners Guide, Kissassist Commands , RGmercs, and especially cwtn plugins ( you can also /testcopy your toons and use the cwtn plugins there for free.).

I suggest getting your feet wet slowly and be patient as it takes time to absorb all this information. Try taking your toons somewhere safe and lower level at first and explore the automation options.

Check out the macros and lua's available as well like buttonmaster, mq2autogroup, mq2autoaccept, mq2status, GuildClicky, and more.

Time to subscribe to level 2 and begin a journey you won't regret. Lots of info and a super helpful community here to help when you get stuck.

Welcome! And, yes completely normal to feel hesitant due to the ban hammer. BUT, these days, if you stay at the keyboard, respond to GM tells, and be respectful of other players, you'll be fine. It also helps to play outside the business hours for CS at DBG so petitions have to wait until the next business day should someone petition against your account. No one actively monitors the servers after closing time. They just do not have the budget for it.

BigBangTheory_ThunderdomeWelcome.gif

I have been watching all of the videos and reading in the forums for a while now and wanting to try MQ2 but have been hesitant for fear of being banned. I do understand the rules and would not ever play while not at the keyboard.
Any time you log in with MQ running, you risk catching a suspension (temporary). Bans (permanent) are rare and usually reserved for higher profile offenses like credit card charge backs and RMT stuff. However, suspension waves come and go and are pretty random. Being at the keyboard vs afk is not a thing. Having MQ loaded while you're playing is against the rules, full stop. It's not a mystery to DPG who uses this, the only variable is how often they choose to enforce it. Your initial concerns are completely legitimate.

It also helps to play outside the business hours for CS at DBG so petitions have to wait until the next business day should someone petition against your account. No one actively monitors the servers after closing time. They just do not have the budget for it.
I've had friends of mine get afk checked on weekends.

I've had friends of mine get afk checked on weekends.
My source says there are no CS off business hours (it's a good source). This has been the case since sometime in 2019. If your friends were AFK checked when they were AFK, perhaps it was checked Monday morning. They would have no idea when they actually got checked if booted or suspended. If they were checked when at keyboard, probably someone posing as a GM. I conducted an experiment myself before, where I posed as a GM (a long time ago), and more than half of the people I interacted with me believed me. So there is that....

Any time you log in with MQ running, you risk catching a suspension (temporary). Bans (permanent) are rare and usually reserved for higher profile offenses like credit card charge backs and RMT stuff
No. Sorry this is not a thing. They do not sit there and actively scan every connection for the program. You usually have to be observed due to a petition these days to be scanned for MQ. Bans are not reserved for credit card offenses primarily. Bans can even happen when breaking any of their EULA rules.

Being at the keyboard vs afk is not a thing
Yes it is. Myself and a few others I know have been petitioned and directly communicated with admins (GM's) who asked if we were running MQ (hint: they already know from a scan). We didn't get suspended or banned. They have even told us that they just do not want AFK play and to respect other players. If you deny usage is when you get banned on the spot.

It's not a mystery to DPG who uses this, the only variable is how often they choose to enforce it.
It is absolutely a mystery until they scan your connection for it. They do not have a running database on who uses MQ and who does not. They simply don't have the man power nor do they care about it that much. It is detrimental to their business model to ban all MQ users (which would be multiple accounts per user). They could have an automatic process do it if they really wanted to, and auto ban the accounts it picks up. But they don't have one in place, nor will they do it. The game wouldn't stay profitable if they banned all the users of all software that assists EQ game play period.

Last edited:
My source says there are no CS off business hours (it's a good source). This has been the case since sometime in 2019. If your friends were AFK checked when they were AFK, perhaps it was checked Monday morning. They would have no idea when they actually got checked if booted or suspended. If they were checked when at keyboard, probably someone posing as a GM. I conducted an experiment myself before, where I posed as a GM (a long time ago), and more than half of the people I interacted with me believed me. So there is that....

No. Sorry this is not a thing. They do not sit there and actively scan every connection for the program. You usually have to be observed due to a petition these days to be scanned for MQ. Bans are not reserved for credit card offenses primarily. Bans can even happen when breaking any of their EULA rules.

Yes it is. Myself and a few others I know have been petitioned and directly communicated with admins (GM's) who asked if we were running MQ (hint: they already know from a scan). We didn't get suspended or banned. They have even told us that they just do not want AFK play and to respect other players. If you deny usage is when you get banned on the spot.

It is absolutely a mystery until they scan your connection for it. They do not have a running database on who uses MQ and who does not. They simply don't have the man power nor do they care about it that much. It is detrimental to their business model to ban all MQ users (which would be multiple accounts per user). They could have an automatic process do it if they really wanted to, and auto ban the accounts it picks up. But they don't have one in place, nor will they do it. The game wouldn't stay profitable if they banned all the users of all software that assists EQ game play period.
The 1000 page thread in Fippy's would disagree with you.

It was def not someone "posing" as a GM who afk checked my friend... whom happened to be on voice chat with me when it happened and told me about in real time. I asked them the name of the GM and it was a known GM account name that has been mentioned here before.

They have even told us that they just do not want AFK play
Until this is incorporated into the language of the EULA, it's about as useful as a wet fart. It will do you no good when your account actually is suspended to come back and say "but, but, but, soandso said it was okay as long as I'm not afk"

To the OP: You should be aware of the risks when using MQ. Some people here are all roses and sunshine when it comes to downplaying the risks, but you are definitely in violation of the EULA. This is cheat software, and everyone here understands that on some level, even if they're trying really hard to convince themselves otherwise.

I really want to thank everyone for all the responses. They are all very helpful.

bottom line, we all take a risk when we use this, but, I can only speak for myself, but I'm pretty sure its the same for most, its well worth it..

I myself wouldn't play EQ anymore without this.. just adds too many QoL things that make this game that much better...

bottom line, we all take a risk when we use this, but, I can only speak for myself, but I'm pretty sure its the same for most, its well worth it..

I myself wouldn't play EQ anymore without this.. just adds too many QoL things that make this game that much better...

What he said. I can't see myself playing without some QOL help. I was a one account one or two toons from 1999 to 2004. Came back in 2022 with a computer that could run 6 accounts and said.... Oh my god. What a different game this is.

Be well.

I would like to ask one last follow up question. Would you recommend starting a new group of all lvl 1 chars just to get your feet wet while learning the in's and out's of all the ini files and everything else or just do enough research and patients with my established chars.

I would like to ask one last follow up question. Would you recommend starting a new group of all lvl 1 chars just to get your feet wet while learning the in's and out's of all the ini files and everything else or just do enough research and patients with my established chars.
Because you have 3 already established toons, I'd just start with them.. dont add any new toons until you've got the feel for them first, since you know what they typically should behave like..

just start doing 3 boxing with them in some easier content to get everything sorted.. then one by one add the new toons..

If you are thinking of running a full 6 of new classes, then you may as well roll them all at once and out of the gate in gloomingdeep..

Hey all,

I've been playing EQ off and on for a while now and have a core group of Pal(120), Shaman(113), Bard(113) and then a bunch or other chars that I throw in the mix. I do not get to play but maybe a few hours at a time a couple times a week for adulting reasons..lol..I need more dps but I can not keep up with when I add a 4th to the mix. I have been watching all of the videos and reading in the forums for a while now and wanting to try MQ2 but have been hesitant for fear of being banned. I do understand the rules and would not ever play while not at the keyboard. Just wondering is it a pretty normal feeling before just making the jump and starting? And also I have a question if I go for it and then purchase a ctwn which is for a year but my lvl 2 access expires does that make the ctwn I purchase go away till to get my lvl 2 access back?
Leaving you a red cent to help you pick-up/continue lvl 2 access. If you don't know what they are, you can give them and receive them for helpful posts and use them as currency to make site purchases to include lvl 2 access. I recommend keeping lvl 2 access regardless of using CWTN licenses because red cents are fairly easy to maintain if you are active and you get access to a wealth of resources and information that will make your EQ experience better.

The plugins CTWN and Sic provide are excellent out of the box options to assist with boxing. As they will tell you themselves though, there are other options. I would advise you to look into RGMercs as well. https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/rgmercs.1013/ It is a free option and also fairly easy to setup with alot of wiki to assist. It is a good gateway to learning how to use macros. KissAssist https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/kissassist.4/ is another good option that allows you to do alot to tailor your characters actions/responses. KissAssist also provides alot of wiki and guides to help you learn and setup your character inis. Both are also good gateways for you to start learning the mechanics of writing macro logic.

Regarding fear of banning, in the end doing this is against the EULA. As others have stated there is low risk if you are a good neighbor, don't AFK play and are considerate of others who are also playing the game. The risk is never zero though.

Welcome back and I wish you the best of luck and fun with your experience!

As Lordeth says, you've got 3 toons already so keep going with them.
But, as there is a significant learning curve, you need a plan that builds up capability step by step because it can get a bit overwhelming at the start.
Possible plan:
  1. Choose a driver, normally the tank, and set up buttonmaster on it.
  2. Configure Dannet which allows you to control toons remotely.
  3. Bookmark Sic's Hotkeys, you will keep going back to this one, it's one of the best references on the site. In fact, if you see Sic has published or posted something it's always worth a look.
  4. Run RGMercs on the other two toons - While somewhat limited, RGMercs is very easy to get up and running, and will give you an insight into the way MQ Combat Assist programs work. It's perfect for this job.
  5. Set up and configure a looting program. MQ2AutoLoot is built in and is easy to start on. I use lootly which I find better, and there is also YALM (Yet Another Loot Manage) which looks pretty good (and I'll be changing to that when I have some time to really dig into it).
  6. Use Everquest Mercs to fill out the rest of your group (cleric and 2 x dps).
  7. Run the Tank manually while you get to grips with setting up and controlling your group from the driver toon: RGMercs behavior, coordination and movement of the group (zoning, moving to different places, camping, hunting etc).
  8. Once you have the group working as you wish, start the tank (or one of the other toons) on one of the Combat Assist programs (KissAssist, MuleAssist, XGen, ModBot, MQ2Paladin etc.).
  9. When you're happy with the Paladin, start configuring another character, and then a third.
  10. Then, power level 3 more chars until you can get them into the group.
It will take a while to get to a full group together working how you want it. The MacroQuest ecosystem is complex and multilayered. Ask questions, there'll always be someone willing to help.

And remember to chill and have fun

Y’all are all awesome. Thank you so much for all the information. I have the next couple of days off so I will be getting started with all this tomorrow.
One of the most frustrating things I've discovered is wiping encounters. You're going to start chugging along and things will be going great until you bite off more than you can chew. Try to stay patient with it and as others have said you can always supplement with a merc or two as an additional safety net until you iron out all the kinks.

Question - New to MQ2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back