• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - New to EQ. Why don't people use 2x Monk or Ranger? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
84¢
Hi everyone!

I've been toying with the idea of giving this a try again (on Live).

A couple years ago I subbed and ran a full Erudite group using kissassist.

That group only made it to level 46 (it took me quite a while to get there though...). I didn't really know what I was doing and wasn't sure where to look for up-to-date guides on how to play the game.

I've played EQ on and off over the years but never made it too far.

Lately I've wanted to give it another chance and instead of going with a caster heavy group like I did last time, I've been thinking about a melee team.

I've seen it recommended to go with 2x Berserkers or 2x Rogues. And I probably should especially since I don't know what I'm doing.

But the idea of running 2x Rangers or 2x Monks seems pretty cool. I went ahead and made a group of characters and this is what I have so far:

Iksar Warrior, Iksar Shaman, Half Elf Bard, Froglok Monk, Froglok Monk, Ogre Beastlord.

Does anyone have any advice, or a reason why I should go with Berserkers or Rogues instead?

Thanks!

Yeah play what you want, thee should be nothing you will struggle with once correctly geared and aa’d.

People run 2 zerks has they are pretty good dps , rogues are in a strong point at the moment especially with assassinate and the amount of humanoid mobs the past 2 expansions, rangers same with headshot but easier to park and shoot with.

At higher levels, the Synergy aa (aa focus tab) is a significant source of damage. You lose a bit of dps stacking if you double up on classes.

Rogues are pretty broken right now, although I feel all melee are doing pretty well, and got a slight power boost relative to casters in NoS.

There are also the alliance spells which generally require you have 3x of a single class. The effect of having those proc can be fairly significant if you are into min maxing.
I don't watch parse anymore since it goes by so fast...but I do recall a bunch of conversation around rogue synergy firing off of melee poison. I'm usually running either Restless or DragonMagic Focus on the SK, Bite of the...whatever the f...that's at now on tank/melee...and everything just melts with Tank/Bard/Enc/CLeric/Rogue and whatever...usually a Zerk/Bst/or Ranger in slot 5

Monks are stupid..don't 2x monks.

Fighting with stupid dps classes...

Feeling Old Season 8 GIF by The Simpsons

Fighting with the above recipe and rogue, zerk, ranger, mages, necros, or beasties on last slot
the flash running GIF by CraveTV
200.gif
stephen amell arrow GIF

But the idea of running 2x Rangers or 2x Monks seems pretty cool. I went ahead and made a group of characters and this is what I have so far:
Both would be a fun `2 box` with a healer and tank merc that would be very strong into the high levels and an enjoyable time.

Most people here are giving you advice for a game you have never played yet, the top end game. For top end dynamics people push and push for that final few % increase. Playing the 1-60 or 1-100 with 2 monks or 2 rangers is 100% viable and would be fun. Personally I would add a shaman and then a bard for a very strong group when you are getting past level 70.

People like the extra small % improvements from perfectly balanced groups, sometimes that improvement is considerable, but its never better than wishing you were playing the characters you wanted to play

Hi everyone!

I've been toying with the idea of giving this a try again (on Live).

A couple years ago I subbed and ran a full Erudite group using kissassist.

That group only made it to level 46 (it took me quite a while to get there though...). I didn't really know what I was doing and wasn't sure where to look for up-to-date guides on how to play the game.

I've played EQ on and off over the years but never made it too far.

Lately I've wanted to give it another chance and instead of going with a caster heavy group like I did last time, I've been thinking about a melee team.

I've seen it recommended to go with 2x Berserkers or 2x Rogues. And I probably should especially since I don't know what I'm doing.

Iksar Warrior, Iksar Shaman, Half Elf Bard, Froglok Monk, Froglok Monk, Ogre Beastlord.

Does anyone have any advice, or a reason why I should go with Berserkers or Rogues instead?

Thanks!
Best advice, go with what you enjoy! Try it, learn and most of all have fun.

I echo what Sin said. Play whatever you enjoy. The numbers may show that certain other classes may put out a bit more damage or be a bit more optimized, but at the end of the day, it's a game to played to have fun. If you are having fun with this group, I say go for it.

The good news is that with a warrior, shaman and bard, any 3 additional classes will work.

I'm going to switch the Warrior to an SK because I think it will be more forgiving for the purposes of learning the game.

SKs just sound too good not to try one.

And I'm going to change the Monks to something else, not entirely sure what yet.

Having a group that is a bit more optimized should help since I have a lot to learn. It might ease the burden a little.

I'm going to switch the Warrior to an SK because I think it will be more forgiving for the purposes of learning the game.

SKs just sound too good not to try one.

And I'm going to change the Monks to something else, not entirely sure what yet.

Having a group that is a bit more optimized should help since I have a lot to learn. It might ease the burden a little.
Warrior is by far, the easiest class to learn. Don't switch for the sake of easy learning...switch because you want to, or you think the SHD will be better off in the long run. Hint: If you are not min/max raiding at top tiers, it will be.

SHD,SHM,BRD - viable with any combo of classes you put into the group. I would not double up on MNK though. Throw in a BST instead. Depending on how far, or how long/far you want to go this time around, BST will have some stacking issues at the lower end with the SHM, but once you are higher level, that goes away.

Monk is going to be lower dps, but they are fun if you’re driving. If you’re not driving it, I wouldn’t bother with one. Rogue or Zerker is just far better dps. Ranger is fun, and it’s solid dps and aDPS. Plug-in will drop for that one soon enough, but shoe crew‘s KA ini is really good for it As well. Bst is amazing, once you get it to higher levels. It’s also fun. SHD is amazing. Some love Paladin, I just personally don’t. Warriors woke fine. They just need to be babysat more.

Personslly, I run SHD, SHM, BRD, BST, RNG, ROG and I love the combo more than any other. All fun to drive, and all amazing in the group or raid setting.

Warrior is by far, the easiest class to learn. Don't switch for the sake of easy learning...switch because you want to, or you think the SHD will be better off in the long run. Hint: If you are not min/max raiding at top tiers, it will be.

SHD,SHM,BRD - viable with any combo of classes you put into the group. I would not double up on MNK though. Throw in a BST instead. Depending on how far, or how long/far you want to go this time around, BST will have some stacking issues at the lower end with the SHM, but once you are higher level, that goes away.
I would dispute this.

War is easily in the top 5 most difficult classes to play properly.
While it is a class that is incredibly gear dependent, maximizing the use of Disc's and AA's in any given situation becomes complex very quickly.
And the stakes are high. I personally found *raid wipes due to War misjudgment were the most common, far more than a bad pull that overwhelmed the CC team, or a lag spike messing up the cleric's rotation, or a dps class pulling aggo and moving the mob out of position, or any other random idiot not paying attention.

Certainly harder than an SK.
That said, I think SK is more fun to play, and has greater utility.

For the group as it is, I would replace one of the monks with a rogue or zerker (or ranger). I would choose rogue for greater utility and poison tradeskill.
This would leave you with: War, Shm, Brd, Mnk, Rog, Bst.

* last time I was raiding end content was DoDH, so things have likely changed some.

Question - New to EQ. Why don't people use 2x Monk or Ranger?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back