• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - New TLP server coming up, what classes would you run? (1 Viewer)

Ninjapickle

Seasoned veteran member
RedCents
1,307¢
So if you have 3 computers to work with (it starts as a truebox server), what classes would you go with? I don't have a clue these days what works with old school content. Sk, shaman, and something?

Probably some form of CC.

It's unfortunate they went with truebox again. I have no desire to play EQ without MQ.

For classic content? WAR, ENCH, CLR. It'll be super slow DPS, but it's the safest bet in that era. SHM doesn't really pick up as a healer until higher levels and SK/PAL are relatively underpowered in earlier expansions IMO. It's not really until PoP that stuff changes.

You are going to pretty much be doing group content as most bosses cant be taken out by 3, usually need 6 or the encounter has a specific cheese mechanic so you need specific class to cheese it.
  1. SHM - way too overpowered thru all expansions not to have
  2. BRD - A bardless life is not a life anyone should live, a bardless box group is cruel punishment.
When you do raid there will be a tank about, I cant think of any content you can do with a SHD/tank you cant do faster with a MNK as a 3 person
The difficulty however is instant snap agro, so if you are not a seasoned multiboxer a SHD is going to be a very valuable and viable crutch

Another consideration is 2mnk shm or shd/mnk/shm, but personally I wont give up a bard

Classic shaman healing sucks, but seriously what is hard in classic?

I've boxed a few characters at a time and am considering Oakwynd. My question is would it be better to just start my own group from the start of the server or start with 2 toons and move on. With the power leveling options questionable at the moment I'm not sure where to start. I would be running 6 pcs.

Last edited:
I was hoping to be able to jump on the new TLP server since i have not played on one yet since launch of the first.

But looking at what they are offering and what was talked about. I was hoping for another FV type server. I will pass on this one and wait for the next.

I was planning on Runing SK, CLR, MAG. then adding more later on. ENC, BST, BRD;

Jostan - well oakwynd is truebox. so if you don't have 6 pcs and the ability to truebox 6 pcs, then no

Last edited:
well oakwynd is truebox. so if you don't have 6 pcs and the ability to truebox 6 pcs, then no
I have 2x laptops i can add in for the first trio, then after that, they said the server was going to open up.

Still a bummer but like i said, will wait for the next one!

I have 2x laptops i can add in for the first trio, then after that, they said the server was going to open up.

Still a bummer but like i said, will wait for the next one!
was responding to josten, but didn't do "reply" sorry for confusion

Sorry, I moved from another location.
I've boxed a few characters at a time and am considering Oakwynd. My question is would it be better to just start my own group from the start of the server or start with 2 toons and move on. With the power leveling options questionable at the moment I'm not sure where to start. I would be running 6 pcs.

Sorry, I moved from another location.
I already merged your other thread into the existing conversation, which is the message you got.

Jostan - well oakwynd is truebox. so if you don't have 6 pcs and the ability to truebox 6 pcs, then no

I already merged your other thread into the existing conversation, which is the message you got.

Thx, Sorry about that. I'll be running 6 pcs

Since it's starting truebox and you can only have one eq client per PC, I would say only have as many toons as you can play manually. I'm sure RG and MQ will not be supported on the new server until it reaches at least relaxed truebox

New TLP Oakwynd - May 24, 2023, at 12:00 p.m. PDT

- This server starts with standard True Box. Only one EverQuest client may be run per computer
- When Omens of War unlocks (June 19, 2024), we will move to a Relaxed True Box. You may have up to 3 clients per computer logged into the server at the same time.
- When The Buried Sea unlocks (April 23, 2025), True Box will be removed.

With previous truebox servers that change their restrictions - MQ will be added sometime after "relaxed truebox" is available.

Perhaps I used the wrong terminology. My apologies. I have 6pcs and plan to run 6 characters. I just wasn't sure if it would be more beneficial to group them up all together from the beginning or just do a couple or a few at a time. I realize there are still a lot of unknowns as it relates to powerleveling. I just figured it guarantees loot but at the same time I realize it will be slower and I'd miss out on the social aspect also. Just trying to pick the brains of people who have been doing this for years. Thanks for the input

Perhaps I used the wrong terminology. My apologies. I have 6pcs and plan to run 6 characters. I just wasn't sure if it would be more beneficial to group them up all together from the beginning or just do a couple or a few at a time. I realize there are still a lot of unknowns as it relates to powerleveling. I just figured it guarantees loot but at the same time I realize it will be slower and I'd miss out on the social aspect also. Just trying to pick the brains of people who have been doing this for years. Thanks for the input
2-3 is a good start target and very managable regardless of tools you use or experience boxing
After the leveling game then 6 is where its at and then just drop people to add friends
With 6 there are many boss targets you are able to take out if you are well geared, and ability to get geared if you are not well geared.

However.... If Oak stays with the nodrop.... gearing characters is going to be very rough, and gearing is the hard/tedious/nonfun part of EQ.

Mischief is in a perfect era to start up on and i'd strongly recommend going there. It really feels like original everquest with the community and so many people seeing new content.
Basically.... best time to start on mischief was yesterday, next best is today.
  1. TSS added new level 1-75 leveling path and is considered the start of the 2nd golden age of EQ (1st being classic->PoP)
  2. TLP's tend to die in the '70 slump' for multiple reasons, mischief stayed strong thru it due to the community and economy being strong
  3. Tons of guilds accepting casual and hardcore solo players and multiple boxer friendly guilds
  4. Gearing is a breeze especially as a caster (caster strength starts returning in TSS/TBS). The reason its easy is only the Best-in-Slot item is typically expensive, 2nd-4th best in slot is very affordable
  5. The random loot has been surprisingly fun/advantageous, not having to camp a specific spawn and getting to see raids and named mobs people ignored during original release is great, basically doubling or tripling the worthwhile content with just this alone.
  6. Leveling is a breeze when your toon is twinked out, you dont even need to run 6 to quickly level. Non max level gear is abundant in the massive bazaar on mischief and it is pennies if its not Best-in-slot. The bazaar on mischief is just bonkers, there is so much gear available.
This is a really good post that covers more than I mentioned from a non-boxers point of view

The reasons to NOT play on mischief
  1. need multiple pc's
  2. no mq (IonBC is a great and viable option IMO)
  3. you only like playing content you know for nostalgia reasons (commonly classic+velious+luclin+PoP)
Sadly I doubt they will remove truebox, the population is just too healthy to risk messing with anything so #1#2 are showstoppers for most people in the RG community.

P.S. if anyone wants to get started on Mischief, message me on discord, happy to help you get going and talk thru whatever.

Last edited:
My question is would it be better to just start my own group from the start of the server or start with 2 toons and move on. With the power leveling options questionable at the moment I'm not sure where to start. I would be running 6 pcs.
My personal recommendation: Just start with 2-3.

You get used to boxing True Box style, people recognize you as someone who possesses the willingness and ability to box, but you aren't one of those dudes who is dragging 6 characters around Steamfont on day 1.
The first couple weeks of TLPs are really fun, its when you meet people who you may eventually team up with to knock out epics, raid with, etc. You don't have to do any of that, obviously, but its an option.
There is kind of a window early on where players are looking for the other players they wanna spend time with. If you're boxing 6 all the way up, you might not be mixing and mingling a whole lot.

Also, once you get your first couple characters to 50, you can push your next few through with greater ease. You will have some plat collected up. Some gear to pass down, etc. It's easier than running 6 character's up wearing Patchwork and Dragoon Dirks.

Fresh servers are quite different than live server game. If it's your first TLP you'll probably have a blast.

Best of luck. :)

2-3 is a good start target and very managable regardless of tools you use or experience boxing
After the leveling game then 6 is where its at and then just drop people to add friends
With 6 there are many boss targets you are able to take out if you are well geared, and ability to get geared if you are not well geared.

However.... If Oak stays with the nodrop.... gearing characters is going to be very rough, and gearing is the hard/tedious/nonfun part of EQ.

Mischief is in a perfect era to start up on and i'd strongly recommend going there. It really feels like original everquest with the community and so many people seeing new content.
Basically.... best time to start on mischief was yesterday, next best is today.
  1. TSS added new level 1-75 leveling path and is considered the start of the 2nd golden age of EQ (1st being classic->PoP)
  2. TLP's tend to die in the '70 slump' for multiple reasons, mischief stayed strong thru it due to the community and economy being strong
  3. Tons of guilds accepting casual and hardcore solo players and multiple boxer friendly guilds
  4. Gearing is a breeze especially as a caster (caster strength starts returning in TSS/TBS). The reason its easy is only the Best-in-Slot item is typically expensive, 2nd-4th best in slot is very affordable
  5. The random loot has been surprisingly fun/advantageous, not having to camp a specific spawn and getting to see raids and named mobs people ignored during original release is great, basically doubling or tripling the worthwhile content with just this alone.
  6. Leveling is a breeze when your toon is twinked out, you dont even need to run 6 to quickly level. Non max level gear is abundant in the massive bazaar on mischief and it is pennies if its not Best-in-slot. The bazaar on mischief is just bonkers, there is so much gear available.
This is a really good post that covers more than I mentioned from a non-boxers point of view

The reasons to NOT play on mischief
  1. need multiple pc's
  2. no mq (IonBC is a great and viable option IMO)
  3. you only like playing content you know for nostalgia reasons (commonly classic+velious+luclin+PoP)
Sadly I doubt they will remove truebox, the population is just too healthy to risk messing with anything so #1#2 are showstoppers for most people in the RG community.

P.S. if anyone wants to get started on Mischief, message me on discord, happy to help you get going and talk thru whatever.
I do agree, 100%.

Mischief has been the best TLP to date, and I don't really see much that could make it better other than the new 'relaxing True Box over time' feature they've introduced.

Going to be hard to top for DBG.

So if you have 3 computers to work with (it starts as a truebox server), what classes would you go with? I don't have a clue these days what works with old school content. Sk, shaman, and something?
ENC is hands down the most powerful single class in classic EQ on TLPs.

CLR is hands down the most capable healer class in classic EQ on TLPs. The only healers that can rez until like GoD, and the only healer who can actually effectively heal charmed pets.

Those are the two that will make your life easy early on. You can add on from there, but that's your best starting 2.

(IonBC is a great and viable option IMO)
Oh, my...

GIF by Saturday Night Live

Question - New TLP server coming up, what classes would you run?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back