• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - New Team - Do you worry about gear? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,034¢
I started my new team pal/shm/rng/nec/dru/ench The line up will change a bit once everyone's caught up.

My question is - Along the way, do you worry about gear? or just keep tank current? I'm through the first 40 levels with the team today, seems pointless to gear everyone. I've just been collectiong spells. However, I feel like at 65 -75 I'm going to need to keep the Pally pretty current in gear to keep things moving safely.

What is your practice?

Final team will be Pal/Dru/Bst/Shm/Enc/Mage

Gear the tank, healer, give the melee weapons, casters I would at least give them anything that has a benefit to the focus they primarily use, as a lot of that has spell lvl caps on it.

I usually just equip my team with Defiant gear that matches their level and then at 75 I do the Into the Temple set of missions (TBM) so I can gear them using Remnants of Tranquility. I also run the Dead Hills missions to buy augs with Marks of Valor.

Yeah, at lower levels I don't gear them all each level anymore either. I just use what comes from the hot zone quests and drops off mobs. If nothing drops then we just keep on killing. I have like 6 houses of lowbie gear that I have never used cause we just level so fast that it takes longer to go get it than to out level it.

But around level 80 is when to me, armor starts to make an impact. I tried that TBM stuff a few times but wasn't for me. I like killing in different zones and finding new armors instead of staying with the same old stinky, rusty stuff for 25 levels. I went in depth with HOT armor and all the other zone armor where you make it with drops and templates and that was kind of fun.

I never ever, buy anything under level 100 from the baz. Waste of plat since you can, at that level, hunt your own easier

My first team was this:

1-80 Defiant gear. If you come by marks of valor or remnants of tranquility you can gear up better at 75. But lvl 80 is T1 HoT gear. 75-80 can be a bit of a slog in this but I stayed in SoF content for it.

80-95 - I basically grab any gear I can and level up in HoT zones. At 95 I gear my tank as much as I can until I found shards landing doable and moved into there. Did Shards landing to 102/103 while gearing up and buying cheap bazaar gear. Got to 106 in plane of shadow

@ 106 I gear up with conflagrant gear and did FM until 111/112. This is when I'd gear in snowbound/T1 ToV/CoV and start my grind to 115.

@115 do ToL armor and much of the same, just follow progression.

My teams after this I usually ran HAs for remnants and marks to buy a set of augs and other than that They got PL'd to 110/115 and geared up once to contribute during their AA grind.

Reason I don't do a lot of HAs levelling up is once you hit 1-2 levels before the next multiple of 5 (eg: 83,88,93,98) I found HAs started to tune up in difficulty quite a bit and the next set of tier was still out of reach. I also avoided them at 75 because 70-80 is such a weird level range in this game. Defiant loses its shine during this range and the next viable upgrade is SoD gear but to gear a whole time with this is cumbersome and time consuming where as T1 HoT items arent hard to find typically and are almost as good as SoD raid gear.

Alternatively once you handle T1 HoT you can just follow progression, gear up tanks first and go zoen by zone until its too hard. Then drop down a tier and gear up before continuing.

This is my typical 80+ path if im not PLing and usually i gear up quite a bit a long the way:

80 - 90 HoT lower/grounds
90-95 Fear itself
95-100 valley of lunanyn or shards landing
100-106 Shards landing/PoShadow/Dead hills
106-112 - FM/Droga/Korsha
112-116/7 - GD/ToV progression/CoV
116-120 ToL prog

Moved to TLPs in the last couple years so i havent done anything past lvl 120 ToL

My group at 72 (pal/ench/dru/mage/nec/bst) is in patchwork defiant, and the tank is in level appropriate defiant with a few nice bazaar weapons. So far I haven't run into any issues. I will most likely throw better weapons at the bst next, and some nice gear for my druid (as my main healer). Past that, they usually get summoned from my mage to fill the gaps. I actually enjoy not really having to worry about where my play sessions are going to take me (ie chasing gear or drops or plat), and just seeing what my team is capable of!

I started my new team pal/shm/rng/nec/dru/ench The line up will change a bit once everyone's caught up.

My question is - Along the way, do you worry about gear? or just keep tank current? I'm through the first 40 levels with the team today, seems pointless to gear everyone. I've just been collectiong spells. However, I feel like at 65 -75 I'm going to need to keep the Pally pretty current in gear to keep things moving safely.

What is your practice?

Gear your tank…with fungi till 70…everyone else is pretty naked until house of thule, shards landing and then ROS frontier mountain free stuff until 110…then snowbound and faded waxing at 115

I usually just equip my team with Defiant gear that matches their level and then at 75 I do the Into the Temple set of missions (TBM) so I can gear them using Remnants of Tranquility. I also run the Dead Hills missions to buy augs with Marks of Valor.

At what level can I start running Dead Hills? I want to run a few for some gear but also as some good practice for learning the Pally well before moving her forward into my FM pl group.

I ended at 45 yesterday, not a bad start 1-45. Probably just keep team in TSS expansion until 85. It's simple and easy to move from 1 zone to the next collecting defiant gear

I think you can start Dead Hills at 75
Yes, your right. But it does vary - some, mostly the Marla ones can be done at lower levels than the Captain Russell it seems, and Allah walk thrus are not real accurate for the individual ones since they just say an overall level of 75 and up but each one has different level. And some have progression lock outs like in TDS.

You can start Gribbles in Dead Hills from 75 on. But your tank has to be geared, full defiant and nice non visibles from bazaar should cut it. Mobs start hitting like trucks out there. Let alone nameds who drop only passable gear at 75 IIRC.

Exp is stellar and missions are mind numbing ... Exp comes from final turn in only. So you can burn a lesson at the end of your first mission and jump onto the next, hoping you'll finish it in less than 30m.

What is your practice?

When I've created a new team, I start with gearing them up in ToV raid drops at level 1. This with a mixture of various defiant gear that drops during their leveling for the first 50-65 levels. After that, I go through some ole PoP raid kills and then on to PoTime clearings. I tend to not do too many of these as they outgrow the drops fairly fast once they have access to Riftseekers and CoA raid drops. 80-90, I try to do some HoT stuff. 95 I do RoF tier 1 raids. 100 will be Deadhills and Ethernere raids.

If you don't have access to high levels to do these raids to twink your new team, then stick with defiant and whatever deals you can get in the bazaar.

I dont bother with any gear other than a fast weapon and a handful of songs/spells on any char and then PL to 110 or 120 depending. The weapon used then goes back into a bank for the next group. Then they get geared with gear appropriate to the level.

Question - New Team - Do you worry about gear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back