• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - new crew (1 Viewer)

RedCents
430¢
I know you guys probly get sick of this kind of thread - I'm wanting to start up a new crew and I've decided on the following:
SK
Cleric
Enchanter
Beastlord
Mage
Druid or Wizard

For that last spot, I'm of a mixed mind - given that druid buffs are very useful even if just becomes a hall buff bot and porter, but wizard dps is going to be always net contribution of dps even if non-prestige.

Any thoughts at all? - plan was to use CWTN plugins and run them up all xp levels unless/until I decide to make an heroic u/g on the beastlord or the sk.
I already have an all access SK and all access mage -both in good gear with near max aa - but I think I need some shelter as the mage is my raider.

I know you guys probly get sick of this kind of thread - I'm wanting to start up a new crew and I've decided on the following:
SK
Cleric
Enchanter
Beastlord
Mage
Druid or Wizard

For that last spot, I'm of a mixed mind - given that druid buffs are very useful even if just becomes a hall buff bot and porter, but wizard dps is going to be always net contribution of dps even if non-prestige.

Any thoughts at all? - plan was to use CWTN plugins and run them up all xp levels unless/until I decide to make an heroic u/g on the beastlord or the sk.
I already have an all access SK and all access mage -both in good gear with near max aa - but I think I need some shelter as the mage is my raider.
Go 2x Mage for synergy hits...or Necro if you're into sustained long-term dps

running 2 mages in current group and admit it is very boss - my thinking was more to develop the character to have it available for buffs/ports - but I am definately making 1 more mage so i can protect my raid mage and still have a strong group with 2 ftp mages in it - but along with raising that mage, i was going to try to "branch out" - but I supposed one can never have too many mages

Also wondering if people have any thoughts bout the beastlord in the group - since there is no shaman, I figured some buffs would be welcomed - I do have a 120 shaman in my main crew though - so could set it up to do hall buffs

if your going the enchanter route i would go 3 mages - 3 air pets for stuns or 3 water pets for dps and youll be fine
or make it 2 bst with the mage for a pet party that way

current game not alot of overlap really. bst are solid melee dps, with good ADPS tools. throwing one in a pet/caster group, mages will never be oom, pets will get combat buffs/procs and shock line will be that much better.

beasts seem to take a looooong time to come online as their own dps though. they do give good ADPS pretty quickly, but I think a lot of that is from their synergy which is wasted on this caster group

current game not alot of overlap really. bst are solid melee dps, with good ADPS tools. throwing one in a pet/caster group, mages will never be oom, pets will get combat buffs/procs and shock line will be that much better.
That was my thinking when i first conceived this - knowing the druid will have mana issues, the enchanter and beast might help in that regard, along with mage mod rods ofc. I realize beasts are more suited for melee groups though. Really was just looking for input from anyone that ran a beast in a caster group like this - especially including either a druid or a wizard

lands on pets iirc?
hrmm.. now that you mention it I think I remember reading it lands on normal pets but not swarms. I still think it's not much of a difference, but I can't remember where I saw that.

To be clear, I'm not advocating against a beastlord, just two of them

SK
Cleric
Enchanter
Beastlord
Mage
Druid or Wizard

I am rolling with something similar, SK, Clr, Enc, Mag, Mag, Bst. Loving life and for their current levels, tearing through Crypt of Decay and Plane of Fire.

Be well. Happy gaming.

I really like having a druid and bard in my group. Porting plus double invis gets me almost anywhere fast. I like flitting around doing different things.

running 2 mages in current group and admit it is very boss - my thinking was more to develop the character to have it available for buffs/ports - but I am definately making 1 more mage so i can protect my raid mage and still have a strong group with 2 ftp mages in it - but along with raising that mage, i was going to try to "branch out" - but I supposed one can never have too many mages

Also wondering if people have any thoughts bout the beastlord in the group - since there is no shaman, I figured some buffs would be welcomed - I do have a 120 shaman in my main crew though - so could set it up to do hall buffs
That makes sense. So it's more of a utility fill-in char...best configs right now are 2x mage, 2x zerk, or zerk/bst/rogue

And do you find the lack of ports inconvenient?

Not really. So far everything I have visited is one zone away from a POK stone. There were two occasions when I had to go through more than one other zone - POK to City of Mist and POK to Grieg's End.

When it's time to leave, the mages, cleric, and enchanter can all gate back to POK. If I don't have one up already, the casters pop a campfire and the SK and beastie girl use the fellowship clickie to get back.

On a side note if you really want a porter consider Druid > Wizzy because of the extra healing.

Be well. Happy gaming.

I have two groups. Zero porters. No issues.

Stein for PoK, and anchors for GH pretty much makes porters optional. And if doing anything requiring a lot of travel just drop a CF in the GH and you can go back every 15 minutes. Just make sure to leave at least on character in the GH, or the instance will poof along with the campfire. But so long as someone stays in there, it makes a nice little travel hub.

That was my thinking when i first conceived this - knowing the druid will have mana issues, the enchanter and beast might help in that regard, along with mage mod rods ofc. I realize beasts are more suited for melee groups though. Really was just looking for input from anyone that ran a beast in a caster group like this - especially including either a druid or a wizard

One of my groups is WAR CLR ENC BST NEC MAG all between 110 and 115 atm. And everything works great. Chain pulling, no downtime.

However, I tried running this group replacing the BST with another MAG just to see if I could eliminate melee. But the whole group had to stop periodically for mana. BST paragon was keeping everyone with mana all the time and I didn't realize how valuable that was.

I'm now of the opinion that BST gets a permanent spot in all groups if possible. It's possible BST doesn't help a high end caster group but I'm not there yet.

I don't know if a druid would run out of mana at times, but i would only try with a BST in the group.

no room when you've got a group full of space marines
starcraft GIF
Need a light?

I have a wiz in my main group, so I find ports very convenient for moving around, especially the AA port to (wizard) bind ability for quick movement, but I have other characters out of group and navigation plugins make the chore of running through multiple zones a trivial issue.

I have other groups without a wizard and I don't stress too much about no ports. I'd rather have a class that pumps out more deeps, though. WIZ isn't terrible, but as far as plugins go, you'll probably get more DPS out of other classes.

Last edited:
I've changed my setup to SK, Rogue x3, bard and cleric.

They kinda destroy everything in their path, so it's pretty nice :)

It's great testing all the classes to suit your needs, fun process at the same time so give it a go and see how it turns out.

Good luck !

Besides ports, I find having the Druid for Succor/Evac nice. I often use the Succor to move across whole zones to get to the adjacent zone. Port to Wall of Slaughter. Succor. Cross into Nobles. Succor.

Holy necro thread Batman. Speaking of necro...that should have been the OP 6th class with his group makeup. My work is done.

Discussion - new crew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back