• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - New boxer - curious about MQ (1 Viewer)

PixiePerfect

RedCents
93¢
So hi. I'm an old EQ player that's never boxed before. Right now I have 3 accounts (2 FTP), but I'm only dual boxing on 1 monitor with a split screen setup. I came across MQ2 and I'm intrigued by the idea of issuing commands to other toons through the same screen and, most importantly, maybe having better following of my zombie(s) in a box.

So my first question is this: I know I need level 2 to DL MQ. Do I need to keep the subscription active in order to continue being able to use it? I've seen somewhere in past threads that once you have level 2, maintaining it isn't hard (just red cent people). Is that still the case as well?

Right now I'm wrecking it in split screen with a couple lvl 30s, a chanter and a wizzy with a tank and cleric merc. Problem is pulling, and the tank merc jumping at the mob every time I aggro something if he's on aggressive. Does MQ2 make managing this easier than the macros I can use in game?

Is the follow features so much better? Like, will my zombie run in circles like she does without boxing software? Do (free) plugins help navigate them around those pesky corners in PoK?

I may have other questions. Oh, and also, would love some UI suggestions that will bring me joy ;)

So hi. I'm an old EQ player that's never boxed before. Right now I have 3 accounts (2 FTP), but I'm only dual boxing on 1 monitor with a split screen setup. I came across MQ2 and I'm intrigued by the idea of issuing commands to other toons through the same screen and, most importantly, maybe having better following of my zombie(s) in a box.

So my first question is this: I know I need level 2 to DL MQ. Do I need to keep the subscription active in order to continue being able to use it? I've seen somewhere in past threads that once you have level 2, maintaining it isn't hard (just red cent people). Is that still the case as well?

Right now I'm wrecking it in split screen with a couple lvl 30s, a chanter and a wizzy with a tank and cleric merc. Problem is pulling, and the tank merc jumping at the mob every time I aggro something if he's on aggressive. Does MQ2 make managing this easier than the macros I can use in game?

Is the follow features so much better? Like, will my zombie run in circles like she does without boxing software? Do (free) plugins help navigate them around those pesky corners in PoK?

I may have other questions. Oh, and also, would love some UI suggestions that will bring me joy ;)
howdy PixiePerfect and welcome to redguides.

There are a few options for getting "MQ2" - The redguide's Very Vanilla compilation is the "base" MQ2 with some custom and RG specific resources. Since eq is patched at least monthly, each time a patch happens MQ2 needs to be re-compiled - so if you wanted to use RG, you would need an active RG subscription to update and continue to use it.

to answer your question about redcents you can read about recents > HERE <

if you haven't looked at the RG beginner videos to see some of the functions and features - it might answer some of your questions

> RG New Vids <

for UIs - there are a few that are kept "up to date" these days. I personally use Zliz (you can see what it looks like in any of the videos in my signature)

Just gifted you a month of Level 2. Welcome. You'll need Level 2 to get the updated VV compile I believe. Yes just redcent a lot and be active on the forum, you can easily keep Level 2 that way.

howdy PixiePerfect and welcome to redguides.

There are a few options for getting "MQ2" - The redguide's Very Vanilla compilation is the "base" MQ2 with some custom and RG specific resources. Since eq is patched at least monthly, each time a patch happens MQ2 needs to be re-compiled - so if you wanted to use RG, you would need an active RG subscription to update and continue to use it.

to answer your question about redcents you can read about recents > HERE <

if you haven't looked at the RG beginner videos to see some of the functions and features - it might answer some of your questions

> RG New Vids <

for UIs - there are a few that are kept "up to date" these days. I personally use Zliz (you can see what it looks like in any of the videos in my signature)
Oh I've seen your vids and your UI got me wishing for something nicer than the default EQ stuff!

Like, will my zombie run in circles like she does without boxing software?

In EQ, on the character who likes to run in circles when following your other character, open options. Navigate to the Display tab and click teh Advanced button.
button.

1615418688189.png

Background FPS is important. I have an older machine so 30 is about what I can do but 60 is better. That will probably clear up your follow issues.

Welcome to RG!

In EQ, on the character who likes to run in circles when following your other character, open options. Navigate to the Display tab and click teh Advanced button.
button.

View attachment 28849

Background FPS is important. I have an older machine so 30 is about what I can do but 60 is better. That will probably clear up your follow issues.

Welcome to RG!
That makes sense.... I had a feeling it was FPS related. I'll try it out. Y'all really are helpful. Gonna red cent out for the day in like 5 minutes.

Regarding follow yes, there are things we use that are far superior to vanilla follow.

https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/mq2advpath.95/ mq2advpath records the route you take and any toon following will follow that path.

https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/mq2nav.146/ mq2nav is imo the finest plugin written. Every zone has a mesh generated that toons can navigate on. It's a game changer, actual witchcraft.

I use a combination of these, mq2advpath when I want my toons to follow without falling in to lava etc. I tend to use mq2nav to tell everyone in my group to "come to me". You really have to see it in action to appreciate it.

Hi Pixie,
Welcome and I'm so happy you found this great place and awesome EQ tools. The guys and gals here have a version of MacroQuest2 that is called Very Vanilla and is not littered with so many of the unsafe hacks that the people that like to warp and such do, Its a really great way to play EQ and once you start.. I think almost every one of us here says similar, "I just cannot see playing EQ much without VV" it brings so much joy, and less frustration, plus allows you to have your own full group (or even groups) instead of dealing with Mercs at all (if you so choose).

A Monthly Sub fee (or yearly paid) will keep you with full access to VV, as well as if you are on the forums a lot, you can earn RedCents, which you can use to buy your access to VV every month as well. You get RedCents when people "like" your posts and you're helpful or have guides or tools or just funny. The community here is really helpful and great people that all want to help each other play EQ better. AS for moving your zombies, yes the tools in VV have a far superior way to have your characters stay on a better follow that the built in EQ /follow. A lot of the tools that comes built into and covered with your subsriction to RedGuides will have so many wonderful tools, and there is also some additional paid plugins that you can choose from as well, but its not necessary and a matter of play choices.

As for UI, go to EQinterface.com and check out the most popular ones, as those get updated the most, but you can choose a lot to look at there. You'll have to play around and try out what you like and what may or may not work well with some of the VV stuff. There are a lot of videos to see how stuff works so you can start to see how much easier it is to play with RedGuides. I hope you have a blast and join us here permanently.

Regarding follow yes, there are things we use that are far superior to vanilla follow.

https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/mq2advpath.95/ mq2advpath records the route you take and any toon following will follow that path.

https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/mq2nav.146/ mq2nav is imo the finest plugin written. Every zone has a mesh generated that toons can navigate on. It's a game changer, actual witchcraft.

I use a combination of these, mq2advpath when I want my toons to follow without falling in to lava etc. I tend to use mq2nav to tell everyone in my group to "come to me". You really have to see it in action to appreciate it.
I'll check those out. Thank you!

Welcome!!! I would suggest that you look up the videos Sic made after you watch them you will know if you want to use these resources. After that I would recommend that you try RGmercs as it is a one time load command then /rgstart and your alt is off to the races. Kissassist offers alot of configurability but has a learning curve to deal with. Finally I really like CWTN's paid plugins but they are paid for and I would suggest you go the nearly free option before you buy in. Dont worry before long you will be setting up new accounts to make a full 6 toon team.

Be prepared to do alot of reading for atleast a couple of weeks. There is alot of information in the forum and in each plugin/macro page. Once you get the basics down for either mq2eqbc or mq2dannet things get a little more manageable and easier to understand. Those plugins are used to send commands to the other characters you have online.

yes, get level 2 and kiss assist very vanilla. Worth it once you figure out how to write ini’s

Very Vanilla in my viwe is something like the basic motor ofa all the good stuff you can find here. Already mentioned are Eqbc and/or Dannet useful tk broadcast commands from one char to the other chars you want to control.
Next lvl would be, to implement a usual behavior to your 'slaves' in order to reduce the needs to send them any single command one by one.
In order to do so, is there are multiple solutions available.
My personal preference here is kissassist... All behavior of any char controlled via kissassist is defined in its proper INI. The pro is, in the that you can very specific control your chars behavior in preparing the ini until your char does what and how you want it. Within this ini you find a chapter which helps you to control your mercs behavior. Apart from that, you can there are no additional costs. There is a library available which offers pre-made inis which will help you to get started.
There are other free of charge Toolsets without the need to have to prepare an INI or alike.
Up to this point, the Toolsets use a technic named Makros... A system which interprets the commands during runtime.
Macros are easier to create but somewhat limited in efficiency during runtime.

Next lvl are set of plug-ins which ask subscription-fees.
Plugins are precompiled and have the pro, but to be able to execute more calculations per time-frame during runtime.
As far as I understand, the amount of work to create and maintain plug-ins is higher than macros.
The possibility to get closer to the theoretic maximum of the class is better.

So to get started the way I understood you would like you would need:
-MQ2 VV-Edition
-broadcast-system: Dannet and/or EQBCS
- optional: any of the Toolsets to get your slaves to behave on their own to the level you want them to do (including the control of their mercs)

IRL - New boxer - curious about MQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back