• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - New 6 Box - Thoughts on final class? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
179¢
Starting a new 6 box team. Didn't really want to do two of the exact same classes as many of the 6 box teams recommend so was looking at this possibly, but just torn one what the last class should be.

1. SK
2. Cler
3. Ench
4. Mag
5. Wiz
6. Zerk / Dru / Shm / Bard ??

Or would you maybe swap a couple classes around? Im kinda set on keeping the mage/sk/ench and cleric

Do you have, or are planning to use CWTN plugins? If so, WIZ has not been released to the public yet, and I hear they still have mana issues so a NEC would be a good fill-in. I ran something similar myself with WAR/CLR/ENC/BST/MAG/NEC and it was a super solid group.

Yes plan on using the plug-ins

Do you think War is a better option the Sk? I have heard SK can be pretty dominant buy I haven't made it that high yet in expansions.

Replace the Cleric with a Shaman. Clerics are great on raids, but useless everywhere else. Replace the Enchanter with a Bard. Chanters are great on raids, but Bard's are great everywhere. Add another mage, a necro, or a bst. I'd say do a Druid, but Druid ini's are shit, and the plugin won't be much better, unless Sic does a massive rework of what we saw in April. That's not really on him though, as Druids really need to be manually run.

Do you have, or are planning to use CWTN plugins? If so, WIZ has not been released to the public yet, and I hear they still have mana issues so a NEC would be a good fill-in. I ran something similar myself with WAR/CLR/ENC/BST/MAG/NEC and it was a super solid group.
The plugin and a good INI do about the same. WIZ just suffers in general from a sustained standpoint. Great in groups though.

Replace the Cleric with a Shaman. Clerics are great on raids, but useless everywhere else. Replace the Enchanter with a Bard. Chanters are great on raids, but Bard's are great everywhere. Add another mage, a necro, or a bst. I'd say do a Druid, but Druid ini's are shit, and the plugin won't be much better, unless Sic does a massive rework of what we saw in April. That's not really on him though, as Druids really need to be manually run.
He didn't want to go with the recommended groups we have all come up with as the "meta". So that is why I offered one suggestion, the BST. When he asked about the WIZ, then I suggested the NEC.

Keep in mind SHM is a little lackluster until 100ish. But...he could do SHD,SHM,BRD,BST,MAG,NEC and would be a super amazing, pet mania, loot boxes for all type group.

Hmm okay some interesting points.

I actually found an 85 mage and 70 SK on one of my accounts. Figure I'll run the mage off that and then start the other 5 chars from scratch.

Any good posts on using a mage to PL?? Or useful plug-ins for that?

BTW this forum has been great so far thanks for all the possitive posts and help. Great community.

Okay. You have given me lots to think about haha.

Was going to start on Cazic server but I have heard that firrona vie may be a better choice due to the ability to buy no drop items and the xp bonus'.

As previously stated I have strictly been on a TLP since starting EQ again and not sure what the live server life is like these days.

Any thoughts on server choice?

FV has its +/-.. ive heard terrible stuff about some servers, great things about others. As a lifelong TLP'r, unless you've got friends on live, FV might be less of a grind (normie servers can be super slow rolling).

I’d do FV. You can buy raid gear, and you can sell what you’d otherwise have to trash.
Let's be honest though, FV is not a poor server and the cost of everything is so much higher than any other server. Want to buy that uber breastplate at lvl 75 that would be 1k pp on a normal server? Be prepared to pay 5m pp on FV.

Exaggeration? Possibly...but you get the gist. FV is a financial commitment IMHO.

Let's be honest though, FV is not a poor server and the cost of everything is so much higher than any other server. Want to buy that uber breastplate at lvl 75 that would be 1k pp on a normal server? Be prepared to pay 5m pp on FV.

Exaggeration? Possibly...but you get the gist. FV is a financial commitment IMHO.
I guess technically FV is a free transfer if I want to make the jump down the road right?

Maybe I'll just start on Cazik like I was going to I the first place.

Yeh all my in-game friends are on the TLP so will be starting friendless hehe. Prob keep my TLP accounts going as I do like to raid with them.

I guess technically FV is a free transfer if I want to make the jump down the road right?

Maybe I'll just start on Cazik like I was going to I the first place.

Yeh all my in-game friends are on the TLP so will be starting friendless hehe. Prob keep my TLP accounts going as I do like to raid with them.
Some servers are ghost towns, havent heard anything good or bad about CT. Since your TLP, free gold status on Test doesnt matter. Test and FV have a XP bonus, helps in the later AA grinds (can level wherever and /test copy also).

Starting a new 6 box team. Didn't really want to do two of the exact same classes as many of the 6 box teams recommend so was looking at this possibly, but just torn one what the last class should be.

1. SK
2. Cler
3. Ench
4. Mag
5. Wiz

Or would you maybe swap a couple classes around? Im kinda set on keeping the mage/sk/ench and cleric
i would make a bard for mez and power

I am going to disagree with you here partially. Sure FV has more platinum floating around, however pretty much all gear is less expensive than on a regular server.

FV costs less - unless you really are committed to have the best and latest.
However the best on a regular server will simply be unobtainable while on FV it is an expensive but possible proposition.

What items are significantly more on FV than on a regular server?

Krono goes for about 2x on FV than on any other server, but it goes so much further.

FV is generally less expensive on items that are droppable on other servers and of course offers much wider(and cheaper!) selection of alternative items.

Just as an exercise do search for some general slot item on a busy regular server and on FV.

On random I tried 110-120 necro ears with effects on Xegony and Firiona Vie:

Not only did Firiona Vie have much wider selection, the few droppable ears that Xegony did have were same or more expensive than FV.

I think only Chilling Stud was roughly the same price, the rest of ears were cheaper on FV, because better more plentiful alternatives are available.

Sure technically cheap 5-10k prestige ears you could get by looking for rots on a regular server, but that would take much more time than simply hitting baz.

I hazard a guess that the situation is the same for pretty much all slots.

The most extreme situation will be pet focus gear.

On FV you can pick up EM30 and EM31 ears for a few Krono, on a regular server you will be paying 15 Kronos for old EM29 ears.

The exception on FV might be some weird collectibles or wrapped items.

Last edited:
I am going to disagree with you here partially. Sure FV has more platinum floating around, however pretty much all gear is less expensive than on a regular server.

FV costs less - unless you really are committed to have the best and latest.
However the best on a regular server will simply be unobtainable while on FV it is an expensive but possible proposition.

What items are significantly more on FV than on a regular server?

Krono goes for about 2x on FV than on any other server, but it goes so much further.

FV is generally less expensive on items that are droppable on other servers and of course offers much wider(and cheaper!) selection of alternative items.

Just as an exercise do search for some general slot item on a busy regular server and on FV.

On random I tried 110-120 necro ears with effects on Xegony and Firiona Vie:

Not only did Firiona Vie have much wider selection, the few droppable ears that Xegony did have were same or more expensive than FV.

I think only Chilling Stud was roughly the same price, the rest of ears were cheaper on FV, because better more plentiful alternatives are available.

Sure technically cheap 5-10k prestige ears you could get by looking for rots on a regular server, but that would take much more time than simply hitting baz.

I hazard a guess that the situation is the same for pretty much all slots.

The most extreme situation will be pet focus gear.

On FV you can pick up EM30 and EM31 ears for a few Krono, on a regular server you will be paying 15 Kronos for old EM29 ears.

The exception on FV might be some weird collectibles or wrapped items.

Thanks for that thorough comparison. I think I'm going to give FV a try then.

I've never she'd away from spending a few Krono here and there on a TLP for PL or gear so I guess bang for my buck my go alot further on FV.

Guessing that being on a higher pop server like FV I'll prob have an easier time finding a guild or some raids down the line if I choose to.

Thanks for that thorough comparison. I think I'm going to give FV a try then.

I've never she'd away from spending a few Krono here and there on a TLP for PL or gear so I guess bang for my buck my go alot further on FV.

Guessing that being on a higher pop server like FV I'll prob have an easier time finding a guild or some raids down the line if I choose to.
FV also has the xp bonus.

definitely pros and cons - but yeah you'd definitely have an easy time finding a guild to join and do stuff with

Okay looks like I'm set to start then:

Server FV and final group composition;

SK
SHM
BRS
MAG
BST
NEC

Iam still a little worried about the shamans healing capabilities up until the post 100's but we will see how it goes.

Does Shaman get a rez at some point?

Okay looks like I'm set to start then:

Server FV and final group composition;

SK
SHM
BRS
MAG
BST
NEC

Iam still a little worried about the shamans healing capabilities up until the post 100's but we will see how it goes.

Does Shaman get a rez at some point?
they do have a rez, but it is out of combat (and resting state), at after 85 you can get the "rez stick"

Unless using a paladin tank, I would suggest using the cleric until your team is stronger, or until you're more confident in EQ/MQ/Boxing --- the "min/maxing" part of shm over cleric isn't worth being too frustrated and bummed out that you don't want to play the game.

your necro will also be able to rez, which is handy (just make sure to stock up on essence emeralds)

Shaman get *call* AA.. around.. 65? 70? its a in combat, no XP return to fight (after fight, drop combat, XP rez). It has a pretty long cooldown, so not even good if stuff is hairy.

Necros get rez.. 51? 59? been many years since i was a baby necro, but its in combat, xp rez, as Sic pointed out, requires a EE.

After all that, start with a cleric, then move you a shaman in later. MQ makes adding or changing char pretty easy. Also clerics have like 14 AAs, so will be maxed well before the rest.. shaman time then~

Shaman get *call* AA.. around.. 65? 70? its a in combat, no XP return to fight (after fight, drop combat, XP rez). It has a pretty long cooldown, so not even good if stuff is hairy.

Necros get rez.. 51? 59? been many years since i was a baby necro, but its in combat, xp rez, as Sic pointed out, requires a EE.

After all that, start with a cleric, then move you a shaman in later. MQ makes adding or changing char pretty easy. Also clerics have like 14 AAs, so will be maxed well before the rest.. shaman time then~
So you recomend

SK
CLR
BRD
MAG
BST
NEC

And then level up a shaman later on once group is maxed to swap out the cleric?

Guess my concern at that point would be the lack of combat slows with no ENC and no SHM

except for raids, in Live game, I havent worried about slow since like 2011.

Also, tank favor belts have a slow proc in current era (101+).
Interesting.

I guess playing on a progression server TLP like I have that's why slows have been so important.

Think my DPS would be hindered to much if I ran the shaman in place of the necro?

Necros are good in grouos if your dps is low. Otherwise, by the time they get a nice stack of dots on (30 seconds), mobs at 30% and poor necro wasted his time.

Shaman, even in early game bring adps/buffs/debuffs/heals. I love shaman, just not for pre-101 healing (solo).

With the right .ini (or plugin) both can be more then acceptable DPS.

A possible path is run clr + shm to 101, then pause and bring necro up to speed. I dont like stacking (multi char on same account) primary play char, but when I do, I try to mix them (healer/dps/adps/tank).

except for raids, in Live game, I havent worried about slow since like 2011.

Also, tank favor belts have a slow proc in current era (101+).
Interesting.

I guess playing on a progression server TLP like I have that's why slows have been so important.

Think my DPS would be hindered to much if I ran the shaman in place of the necro?
and also, between belts or bst, they slow. for the cwtn bst plugin we will keep memorized "SlowSpell" until you get maelstrom at 90, so there's a gap at 90 - 100 (when you get sha's reprisal AA) that we don't have the slow memorized, but you can BYOS/BYOS Custom for that if you needed it.

any of your suggested makeups are going to be able to do "all the things" just fine - don't overthink it too much.

2 healers is overkill - but you can still do "all the things"

i'd start with something that is safe (cleric) and stable, MQ makes catching another toon up so much easier than by-hand. You *will* end up adjusting as your needs/wants change, and that's totally ok

and also, between belts or bst, they slow. for the cwtn bst plugin we will keep memorized "SlowSpell" until you get maelstrom at 90, so there's a gap at 90 - 100 (when you get sha's reprisal AA) that we don't have the slow memorized, but you can BYOS/BYOS Custom for that if you needed it.
Ahh I totally forgot about the BST slow thanks Sic.

I tend to overthink everything lol... You guys have been so helpful already hopefully not sick of me and my questions :p

Firing the group up now and going to see if this lvl 70 SK can somehow powelevel the group proficiently enough. Gotta read some more PL guides.

Damn I thought FV was a server you could transfer chars to for free but apparently only Zek is.

Looks like a fresh group of 6 lvl 1's it is.

As Durango suggested, my first go run was exactly this - SHD,CLR,SHM,BRD,MNK,MAG. It was one of those funky groups because I had just come back to the game since 2007. I started with MNK, then SHM, added in the SHD, then CLR,BRD,MAG right after. My groups have changed a lot since, but the gist is nothing wrong with CLR,SHM at the start until SHM gets higher up.

I'd say do a Druid, but Druid ini's are shit, and the plugin won't be much better, unless Sic does a massive rework of what we saw in April. That's not really on him though, as Druids really need to be manually run.

Entirely depends on what you want out of the druid, They end up very modular, but if you're using them as a healer replacement, you dont need it to micromanage overly many things. Yes, your damage wont be optimal, but stuff isnt going to die and you arent going to fail burst checks with mostly remotes and AA's.

As a dps focus, it gets a little weird though, you'll interrupt a lot of things if you have conditional patch heal lines written in.

1. SK
2. Cler
3. Ench
4. Mag
5. Wiz

I'd go beast man, they buffs are great and they go wide open down the road.

I play on FV and really like the server. Language thing is a little annoying when making new characters, for all but 5 minutes until maxing out with the language mac.

As for the group, I would go SHM. One of my favorite groups has a Cleric and Shaman in it. I see it as a buffer for harder things that I am not quite geared for yet. Never hurts to have more healing than you need. Sure you can't burn things down as fast, but harder to kill the group. I will take the harder to kill option any day over speed of the kill personally.

FV economy is a little messed up. But I like the option to purchase things I normally would have to spend a good chunk of time raiding for which I just do not have the time for these days. In fact, all it takes is a few Krono here and there, and I have all the power I need to get the things for my characters I really want. And yes, the XP bonus is great too.

I would agree with the majority and put a beastlord in the 6th slot. As far as changes, I would swap the cleric for a shaman and the wizzie for either a necro or rouge,

Discussion - New 6 Box - Thoughts on final class?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back