• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - Networking Issue, seeking help (1 Viewer)

Rusang

Learner of Many Things
RedCents
1,333¢
Hello, all! I am reaching out to anyone who could potentially help out a networking issue.

The other day, my TP-LInk TL-SG2428P switch was working perfectly. I have the following crudely-typed out network diagram, all TP-LInk Omada gear except modem.

Comcast Modem
|
Router
|
Switch #1-----------> Switch #2 -> More wireless AP
|
Wireless AP
Switch 1 and 2 are identical make/models, connected via LC Fiber. On Switch 1, during a storm, stopped providing PoE to my IP Cameras and Wireless AP.

I've troubleshooted everything I can think of. Factory Reset, Firmware upgrade, power cycle, individual RJ45 ports off/on, disable 802.03at/af and re-enable, etc.

What is weird, is the Wireless AP on Switch #1 will work ONLY if I use a 5 foot Ethernet cable, but will NOT work if I use a 25 foot which was fine before the storm. No matter what, the switch will not show any PoE on the status lights. Data still works on every port. I had this issue a few months ago but a simple factory reset worked... this time no luck. Switch #2, connected by fiber, still works and it provides PoE with no issues.

Has anyone ever experienced this issue before?

No way to tell without opening it up and looking at the board but it could have gotten power surged and anything requiring software end of things is failing to work (cleaning up signals over longer cables is a common software task). My rule with switches is to always have a spare available, if not for a permanent replacement for testing.

Hello, all! I am reaching out to anyone who could potentially help out a networking issue.

The other day, my TP-LInk TL-SG2428P switch was working perfectly. I have the following crudely-typed out network diagram, all TP-LInk Omada gear except modem.

Switch 1 and 2 are identical make/models, connected via LC Fiber. On Switch 1, during a storm, stopped providing PoE to my IP Cameras and Wireless AP.

I've troubleshooted everything I can think of. Factory Reset, Firmware upgrade, power cycle, individual RJ45 ports off/on, disable 802.03at/af and re-enable, etc.

What is weird, is the Wireless AP on Switch #1 will work ONLY if I use a 5 foot Ethernet cable, but will NOT work if I use a 25 foot which was fine before the storm. No matter what, the switch will not show any PoE on the status lights. Data still works on every port. I had this issue a few months ago but a simple factory reset worked... this time no luck. Switch #2, connected by fiber, still works and it provides PoE with no issues.

Is all the PoE ports acting this way, or just the one? Have any other cables you can swap out with to rule out bad cables as the reason? Swap the APs around to see if the same issue follows?

Yeah that doesnt sound good.. If you tried factory default, and no luck.. short of some tripped breaker switch or a soldered in-line fuse on the board somewhere, your switch sounds like it got partially fried.. That or your power supply for it got partially cooked and isnt giving clean input power to the switch.. maybe try swapping that for another if you have a spare..

I had lightning strike near.. not at , but near my house once, and it caused all sorts of whacko issues to the electronics.. ended up replacing the router/switch that was affected..

Is all the PoE ports acting this way, or just the one? Have any other cables you can swap out with to rule out bad cables as the reason? Swap the APs around to see if the same issue follows?
I have not moved APs around, but i have tried different Cat 5e and Cat 5 cable (5 feet max). All PoE Ports. I have also tried a brand new PoE Camera, out of box, and its not receiving power.

soldered in-line fuse on the board somewhere, your switch sounds like it got partially fried.. That or your power supply for it got partially cooked and isnt giving clean input power to the switch..
That could be it. Its weird to me Data still works on all Ports but not PoE. I am going to try to move the switch to a different location, let's see if my power strip and/or breaker acting funny.

That could be it. Its weird to me Data still works on all Ports but not PoE. I am going to try to move the switch to a different location, let's see if my power strip and/or breaker acting funny.

was it lightning, or just intermittent power? ie sags and swells in the utility's line voltage?

was it lightning, or just intermittent power? ie sags and swells in the utility's line voltage?
there was lightning but I was 45 minutes from home.
I had a trampoline 75 meters away from where it was originally, and my kids play house/swing was upside down. We had tornado warning but, although it says one confirmed, I am the only one in the neighborhood with visible damage (yay!)

So, because of this dialogue, I went to my 2nd switch again (which is confirmed running PoE cause my cameras work)... My FlightRadar24 receiver is not powered on either. Its connected to switch #2. I think its just a Raspberry Pi inside. I'm less concerned about it, more concerned for my $300 switch haha

there was lightning but I was 45 minutes from home.
I had a trampoline 75 meters away from where it was originally, and my kids play house/swing was upside down. We had tornado warning but, although it says one confirmed, I am the only one in the neighborhood with visible damage (yay!)

So, because of this dialogue, I went to my 2nd switch again (which is confirmed running PoE cause my cameras work)... My FlightRadar24 receiver is not powered on either. Its connected to switch #2. I think its just a Raspberry Pi inside. I'm less concerned about it, more concerned for my $300 switch haha
yeah you probably took some lightning damage then on that first switch.. and sad thing.. more stuff can show up as the days/weeks go on and things decide to finally give it up..

hopefully that was it though..

I would check the 25 ft cable to ensure it's functioning as it should. Try using it for a connection to something else if you lack a tester, also, try other known good cables to see if they function as intended with this device.
It -could- be hardware failure, but I'd eliminate the cable as a potential issue prior to replacing just to be sure you're not just breaking out the parts cannon so to speak.

Problem - Networking Issue, seeking help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back