• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Necro or SK for molo group game (1 Viewer)

Fauxpas

RedCents
122¢
I'm coming back to the game from a fairly long break and just want to play semi casually (i.e. not box 3-6 chars). I have a 112 Necro and a 115 SK (both geared but needing some aug work).

Which would be more effective for me if my goal was to move through progression and take down some group named, either molo or with a partner?

Thanks.

Necro for sure. SK can do some soloing but I find my necro can solo faster for exp than my SK can solo for exp. Duo id say SK + something would be better. SK + NEC is fun also.

Thanks. Necro is less gear dependent as well so may be easier to get going with. Watching some vids on youtube indicates that molo necros can take out some of the current content named.

I'm coming back to the game from a fairly long break and just want to play semi casually (i.e. not box 3-6 chars). I have a 112 Necro and a 115 SK (both geared but needing some aug work).

Which would be more effective for me if my goal was to move through progression and take down some group named, either molo or with a partner?

Thanks.
completely depends on you and how your gonna play.
my SK can molo named in TOV/COV with a dps merc (lifetaps ftw) he is currently in group gear

My necro can do the same but needs heal merc. Necro is less gear dependant(minus a good pet focus earring)

I have both and use both.

R you gonna be playing them with assistance or no assistance (IE CWTN pluggin for SK, KA/RGM for Nec)

completely depends on you and how your gonna play.
my SK can molo named in TOV/COV with a dps merc (lifetaps ftw) he is currently in group gear

My necro can do the same but needs heal merc. Necro is less gear dependant(minus a good pet focus earring)

I have both and use both.

R you gonna be playing them with assistance or no assistance (IE CWTN pluggin for SK, KA/RGM for Nec)

Ideally, I will just be playing the one character. I am in a guild that extends back to the PoP area that I raided with but there are only a couple (think 3-4) of active players, all of whom are either monks or warriors. There are a few boxes, like a shaman, and a bard or two. But basically, if I join a guildmate, its going to be either a warrior or monk with a boxed bard or shaman.

I have the ToV T1 pet earring and armor/non visibles. I only have like 5 Type 7 augs, and maybe a few more Type 5 augs. My necro has a lot more progression done in some of the expansions than my SK does, so I'm leaning towards continuing my necro so I don't have to redo those previous expac progressions. And also because, we don't have a lot of dps chars in the tiny guild makeup. Necro also has CoA BP as well as other clickies like Tash Stick that I camped back in the day. Also has 2.5, not that that matters anymore.

I did a lot of content with just a necro, shaman and cleric merc. The wall I primarily hit was missions. But, that doesn't mean they cannot be done, just have to get creative (unless its a heavy dps race, may need a partner), and realize you won't be "fast" like others. I understand you want to limit your box numbers. So, if you want to two box at least, I'd highly recommend the Necro/shaman combo.

Just use the shaman as backup heals, and let the dots eat! You'll find out quickly, you'll need on names to have silent casting for the Sham rolling. Ripping aggro from the necro pet is easy to do. But, im sure you'll have a blast! I used this group makeup before mercy, and loved it!

Welcome back and happy hunting!

I honestly like my SK more than my Necro. It's easier to just run up and facepull / clobber a mob than waiting on your pet to manage your business. Just my two copper in the bucket.

I do think necro has some cool spells and their overall theme as a character (General of undead armies) is fuckin' rad though.

Ideally, I will just be playing the one character. I am in a guild that extends back to the PoP area that I raided with but there are only a couple (think 3-4) of active players, all of whom are either monks or warriors. There are a few boxes, like a shaman, and a bard or two. But basically, if I join a guildmate, its going to be either a warrior or monk with a boxed bard or shaman.

I have the ToV T1 pet earring and armor/non visibles. I only have like 5 Type 7 augs, and maybe a few more Type 5 augs. My necro has a lot more progression done in some of the expansions than my SK does, so I'm leaning towards continuing my necro so I don't have to redo those previous expac progressions. And also because, we don't have a lot of dps chars in the tiny guild makeup. Necro also has CoA BP as well as other clickies like Tash Stick that I camped back in the day. Also has 2.5, not that that matters anymore.
Then ya do your necro, but get ur smithing up cause ur gonna really want to gear up your pet. I craft conflagrant SK visible and security jewelry(minus CLOAK NEVER put a cloak on your pet) I also put 2x of the t1 tov crusader maces (they both WILL proc and proc ALOT and they proc a rune)

For my feeling the SK nowadays depends more on the Aa's than having the last bestinslot augment. I started my SK about 2 years ago. He got always the best ts'ed gear for his lvl and not all but lots of the proposed augments. The point, when I felt he tanked better than a mage-pet was reached, when he reached 35k aa's ish. By the end of Cov he was T3 geared, filled with good augments and max aa. He could tank all nameds with the 2-hander.
Almost every day I group for about 2h with 5 real player. One of them plays his sk almost exclusively. At any expansion he impresses me, when I see how many different nameds he is able to molo. He only uses group-gear to do so. That was the main reason I decided to grow up a SK for myself.

My group got much more solid, swapping to the SK as tank. Before I had my SK, I used mage-pet(s) as tank.
Formerly I got in trouble when more than 2 unmezzable mobs reached my camp. Now I start thinking about splitting the pull, when I see more than 4 nonmezzable mobs on aggro (still Tol T1, not yet T2) while pulling.

The setting is different than yours as I box a full group, but the sk with sufficient aa's can take a lot more than a pet.

Thank you for the responses everyone. As of now, I will be focusing on the necro, but may play both for the next month just to see if one feels more right than the other. Both seem very capable and I probably can't go wrong either way.

Thank you for the responses everyone. As of now, I will be focusing on the necro, but may play both for the next month just to see if one feels more right than the other. Both seem very capable and I probably can't go wrong either way.
All about the journey! Good luck!

soloing sucks...join the dark side...make a tank and a little tribe of bots to have fun with

darth vader GIF by Star Wars

soloing sucks...join the dark side...make a tank and a little tribe of bots to have fun with

darth vader GIF by Star Wars
Hah, I had my time 6 boxing (and not even an efficient group, it was like Pal, Necro, Rogue, Wiz, Cleric, and Bard. It was whatever I had available). It got really tiresome and made EQ feel like a job.

IRL - Necro or SK for molo group game

Users who are viewing this thread

Back