• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - My Testimonial (1 Viewer)

RedCents
811¢
I have play EQ since 2001. My current main is the oldest active char on the server. I have take two long breaks over the 22 years, but I always return. In the beginning, from 2001 - 2005 EQ was a purely social game. Computer power and bandwidth prevented all but the most dedicated from multi-boxing. I played until WoW and EQ2 had crushed the servers, then took a 5 year break. When I returned, I tried to play the social game again, but it was still hard. I played on and off for a while, then was off until 2017. When I came back in 2017, I decided that I had to make my own group if I was going to play, so I created an Enchanter. We made steady, but slow progression with 2 mercs. After a year or so, I got comfortable with the mechanics of multiple chars and made a mage. At this time, I made a bunch of macro buttons in the game (EQ macros, not external). So I could click a button and cast a set of spells. This meant a lot of back and forth clicking, but I was able to do all the quests for from EoK through NoS. I was a slogger. My team was slow but pretty strong if I made smarty pulls. I could pull up to 3 without a total wipe (most of the time). I could also do named, but they were 3-4 minute engagements. My top DPS was 800K for the team.

I knew I was falling behind. NoS was the wake up - the only accomplishments I was going to get was from my own team. I was also bored grinding. I could not pull enouhg placeholders to get named to spawn unless I devoted many hours to the camps. After the Extra-Life bonuses, I knew that I need to change. Seeing named pop and tanking them was fun. The grind game was boring. I could not do any missions, even When One Ddoor Closes.

So, I found Redguides and took the plunge. I made a wizard, rogue and shaman and got them to the 120s and added them to my group. What a game altering experience that was. I use CTWN on all but the Wiz, which is Kissassist. I am now able to do almost any non-raiding in the game (had my fill of that in my first 7 years of EQ). I can do quests, and currently NoS missions. Eventually I'll get better at this and do LS missions. The game is fun again. I log on, make a goal and go about accomplishing it. There are setbacks, of course, this is EQ, but they are just small setbacks. I'm soon up and running again.

My DPS is 2-3 mill on trash and can go in the uppers 4s with burn. I can handle bad pulls of 5-6 yellows and blues. The game is now about me making good strategic decisions and tactical plans like camp location and pull strategy. It's no longer a slog. I've obviously got a lot still to learn - only a month into this. I know my dps will increase as I get a good 125 inc for my wizard. My three recent chars need to get their AAs up. But I look forwaard to doing it. Last year I went many weeks in a row without logging on except to do tradeskills for my bazaar team. I have a lot of plat now, so that helps. But, this is not a marketplace game only. It had become that for me. In NoS I did not even venture out until my team of three had been leveled using Overseer. All the way from 115 to 120 - that took months. I've gotten through any LS content I want to at any level. It's fun again.

I think I would have been done with EQ without this. I was just falling too far behind.

This software is a game changer. Thanks to the team behind it.

This is great to read.

I feel I'm very much in the same place as yourself (except quite a bit behind in DPS). I think using the RG software has revitalised my love of the game and has kept me playing (and progressing) where I would have ordinarily quit again.

sounds like ya'll are both kickin ass and taking names <3

at the end of the day - if you'be been MQ/RG for 20 years or 1 day --- you probably love EQ, which at the root base of everything is something we all have in common - we have so much more in common than we think we do.
we're all the "same nerd".
I'm really grateful for RG and MQ keeping my love for EQ alive after all these years, I'm grateful for this place @Redbot put together so we can all exist together in such a cool space, I'm grateful for people like kingkiller71, and TJD coming and sharing their experiences.
Hope 2024 brings ya'll some phat lewts <3

RG and the community here are the only reason I have continued to play. The ability to help friends/guildies that I was always asking for help from in the past has been a game changer and kept me playing

Great read! Sic said it - we all have a lot in common. My first toon was 12/99.

RG has allowed me to play intermittently and set up a group on multiple servers, trying different things and combos. The plugins are all fantastic.

Kudos to what you’ve accomplished and will over the next year!

IRL - My Testimonial

Users who are viewing this thread

Back