• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - My EQ 99 vs EQ 24 experience. (1 Viewer)

RedCents
924¢
The first thing to strike me, is that EQ now bears almost no resemblance to the EQ at launch, except for the artifacts of old graphics and the legacy player classes. It seems like every minute detail has been altered since - and all for the better. I didn't know what an MMO was in 1999, had never played any sort of first-person, real-time game and was not a gaming nerd. I was convinced to join by my boss at the time who owned a small computer services company. He'd hired me as the general manager. We built custom PCs and servers, we did the 90s version of network construction and support for a number of small businesses, and we repaired and upgraded PCs. I was the business guy, as the owner knew nothing about business. Anyway... I was given the impression that if I didn't join my co-workers and friends in this game that they would disown me, so I played.

For those of you who never experienced the original game, things were pretty bad. Bad in the sense that gear had no stats on it at all except AC. Invisible gear, like earrings, rings, and cloaks, was particularly hard to obtain. I remember that Blackened Iron was the uber armor back in the day and if you had a Ring Mail cloak and belt to go with it, then you were GEARED, motherfucker. Nothing - even grinding for XP - at any level could be done without a group. There were classes that could solo for XP effectively, but not for loot mobs (unless you were high enough for the loot mob to be trivial). /OOC was constant with players LFG and seeking then indispensable classes like WARs and ENCs to join their group.

One "feature" that was truly despised by all was the spell book screen when you meditated. Whenever you sat to meditate, your entire screen was blocked by your spell book and you could not see what was going on unless you stood up. This was especially bad because the rate at which players regenerated mana and hps out of combat back then was abysmally slow. Much slower than it is now. I'm not sure when they changed it, but the rates were much less then. So you were stuck staring at your spell book for minutes. Speaking of mana, hybrids had much smaller mana pools than they do now. The other issue which seems kinda quaint now, is that no one boxed. Why? Because computers were total potatoes in 1999. If you had a 486 CPU, you had a hoss machine. There was no highspeed internet. It was dial up, so going link dead was a common occurrence.

The biggest negative was the player base. The first thing that struck me on returning was how helpful, polite, generous, and pleasant everyone was. Chat channel conversations now are full of witty humor and fun banter. It's like a group old friends. Not so in 1999. Nope, the player base was overwhelming teenagers bent on ruining the experience for as many people as possible. Flame wars in /OOC. Goofs who could sit motionless for days on end in front of their computers ran their characters around constantly like they had Attention Deficit Disorder and just took a hit of speed. And the immaturity. Oh, the immaturity. If you think teens are @ssholes now, they learned from the last generation. Entitled, narcissistic, thin-skinned, egotistical, viscous, malicious, and rude. People trained for poops and giggles. They ninja looted. They would NOT shut the F up. You couldn't get them to follow simple instructions when taking on a boss. And you were constantly getting killed by their stupidity. And every little point in the game was a source of ego, peacocking, and struggle.

On the positive side, one of the things I really miss from those days is the player-to-player economy. I remember that I had a real business in EQ making cloth and leather armor, bags, and quivers with my little tailoring kit outside Kelethin. I understand that the Bazaar and your summoned merchant are much superior and trade skills are only useful for crafting quest armor sets and some bags, but I miss the bustle and importance of crafting in those early days. The other thing I miss is leveling slowly. Now I know that sounds ridiculous, but in 1999, leveling was S L O W. This had the beneficial side effect of allowing you to travel and spend some real time in a variety of level-appropriate zones in the Old World before you leveled out of them. I miss that. Now if I fart forcefully enough, I'll level. Seriously, I killed a blue-con mob recently and gained an entire bubble of XP at 21 from one kill. Had a simple quest give me a similar amount of XP. I feel pretty confident that a couple weekends is enough to go from 1 to 50. I understand why most people would see that as a positive change, but man, you miss out on so much content.

Well, that's it. Just reminiscing. If you read this whole thing, you gained a bubble of XP.

if you had a Ring Mail cloak and belt to go with it, then you were GEARED
All In The Family Singing GIF by Sony Pictures Television
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 :hfive:

I was one of the lucky ones back then. I landed in the game from the beginning with people I knew having already played and they had a head start on me.
But you are correct the game then vs now is no where the same game.
Merc’s no you were not doing nothing without playing with other people.
The game was built with the intention of forcing you to communicate and play with other people.
You had to interact, I remember getting my first teamspeak server up and running getting people to even understand you could play better and faster if you were not typing all damn day.
I was already an adult playing with children on a game annoyed me so finding out when some kid popped into my teamspeak would be make me angry. I would explain to them up front I don’t play with kids. But sure enough they would jump in my teamspeak server to hear “you got to go somewhere else, I told you I don’t do kids”

But the game has evolved some things good some bad

LOL. Yes, yes they were.

The reason everyone wanted Blackened Iron was because you could get an entire set (which in those days was only the visible pieces) and it was all black, so it looked cool. This was way before armor dyes and armor sets so most people looked like a box of crayons melted on them because none of their armor colors matched. So Blackened Iron was one of a very few sets with a matching color. The other armor set everyone dreamt about was Golden Efreeti armor, which dropped in the original planes. I seem to remember it was Plane of Air. I don't know if that's in the game anymore, but it was a suit of plate - golden in color - that was wearable by all/all. It also had stats. Just imagine armor with stat bonuses! I know, right! You'd be so uber if your armor had stat bonuses! And it's all one color, too! Thanks for the post.

Regards.

Last edited:
train GIF

The most common word I recall from that era xp'ng in lower guk...when you know, you know.
TRAIN! TRAIN TO ZONE!

Also Crushbone, Najeena, SolA, Unrest, Mistmoore, etc...

But you only got notified if the player was conscientious enough to have made a macro to warn you. Most of the time, you just got trained, and you were NOT the guy in the GIF who gets out of the way in time.

Thanks!

I was one of the lucky ones back then. I landed in the game from the beginning with people I knew having already played and they had a head start on me.
But you are correct the game then vs now is no where the same game.
Merc’s no you were not doing nothing without playing with other people.
The game was built with the intention of forcing you to communicate and play with other people.
You had to interact, I remember getting my first teamspeak server up and running getting people to even understand you could play better and faster if you were not typing all damn day.
I was already an adult playing with children on a game annoyed me so finding out when some kid popped into my teamspeak would be make me angry. I would explain to them up front I don’t play with kids. But sure enough they would jump in my teamspeak server to hear “you got to go somewhere else, I told you I don’t do kids”

But the game has evolved some things good some bad
You should have seen the look on my face when I learned that you could hire an NPCs to help you. And you were super highspeed if you had a teamspeak app. I don't think they existed in 99. I could be wrong, but I certainly didn't know about them.

Regards!

TRAIN! TRAIN TO ZONE!

But you only got notified if the player was conscientious enough to have made a macro to warn you. Most of the time, you just got trained, and you were NOT the guy in the GIF who gets out of the way in time.

Thanks!
ahhh, naked corpse recovery before it rotted....fun time....not

ahhh, naked corpse recovery before it rotted....fun time....not
Yeah, how could I forget to mention corpse recovery? And yeah, if you didn't get to your corpse and loot your gear before the timer ran out, it disappeared and you lost everything. There were some real meltdowns over that. And I also forgot to mention dragging corpses. If you wanted to be a hero in 1999, you drug corpses to the zone so people could recover them.

For those that weren't there, when you respawned after a death, you were naked and you had to run back to where ever your corpse was and loot it to get your gear.

Ah, the memories. Thanks.

As a solo'n Necro back in those early days, you had a spare set of gear in your bank.... otherwise there was no way in hell you could make it back to your corpse!! And I never see it mentioned, but you could consent trusted freinds to actually loot your corpse so your gear wouldn't be lost. I had a cleric friend by the name of Ratina whom was always running and getting my stuff!

I don't know if it's nostalgia or just memory issues but the idea that nobody boxed, or had powerful machines isn't true.

The Pentium 3 was out in 1999, as well as the AMD K6 series. We had already started to move to DDR1 that hit the scene in late 98/Early 99 if I remember correctly.

In a different thread I mentioned running multiple GPU's in my main rig. I was a young teenager and was able to swing these machines with my $5/hr job

Maybe I'm younger than the people looking back on their specs in the 99/2000 era but the bulk of the people I played any lan/online game with were running pentium series processors if they weren't running AMD. This was back when AMD was the overclockers choice and we were really starting to break into phase change cooling. I can recall killing more than one CPU with improper insulation causing condensation to accumulate.

I personally didn't box because as is still true I'm not very good at the game. I had a friend running 4 boxes across two systems and four monitors.

The game itself was insanely difficult. I remember asking a ton of questions and getting some backlash in /ooc for it. I quite the game for a while after having multiple groups in a row give me some pretty rough verbal bashing for not being able to play my druid well. The feeling of the game was definitely different in 1999-2001'ish

TRAIN! TRAIN TO ZONE!

Thanks!
Blackburrow, baby!

Sounds like nostalgia. Part of every aspect of life. It's a bitch.

Things change. If you have screen shots, cherish them. You will always have your memories.
Nostalgia is a sentimental longing for the past. The only thing I'm nostalgic about would be the sense of grandness that I had in travelling to distance zones, that at the time, seemed very far indeed. The newness of it all. I miss all the economy that evolved and how enterprising some players were, like Druids and Wizards offer ports for donations, priest classes offering buffs for donations, me and my tailoring business. Hell, people who could forage even sold their foraged food for money. As I said, I miss the slowness of leveling because you had time to explore a host of zones that were in your level range before you leveled out of the XP. But that's about it.

I think what I was really trying to point out was how absolutely shitty this game was. It is a wonder it survived. As I recall it very nearly didn't after WoW appeared. I think I had already quit playing by that time, but I don't remember with certainty. I think the only thing that saved it was the brilliance of the class designs. Few games have done as well with designing classes as EQ. But yeah, this game fucking sucked. It was insanely difficult. Much of the annoying aspects of the game, like staring at your spell book to med, seemed arbitrary and pointless - almost like they were designed to punish you. Banks had only 8 slots IIRC. As you can see from the screen shot, your inventory only had 8 slots. Much of the trade skill items didn't stack. I remember specifically that pelts and ores didn't stack so your crappy 8-slot bags, which were the largest bags at the time, filled up very quickly and you didn't have room to store trade skill items. So, you had to collect a few, then make whatever items you had supplies for, and sell all your produce, just to clear out space for more. I already mention the assholery that was the player base back then. That was my biggest ache.

I think we covered the corpse recovery trauma.

And then there's the gear. Most gear that you could loot from non-named mobs only had AC. It's not like today where any random mob can drop defiant armors, augments, charms, and all manner of sellable items. Mobs dropped coin, weapons, and rarely a piece of armor. If you wanted anything with stat mods on it, you had to camp a named. And since everyone else was in the same boat, everyone was trying to camp your camp. It was a nightmare. And if you managed to kill a named, you were not guaranteed the drop you were after. And if you got it, it had a +1 or +2 stat mod. Or a slightly faster ratio than your rusty sword. It was a major frustration and an insult to the effort involved in getting the stuff. Sure, you could raid the planes or Kedge Keep, but the amount of effort involved and many deaths you'd face before success were daunting. And because it took a couple of dozen players to kill some of the top bosses, you were unlikely to get anything. Yeah, no nostalgia for it.

Leveling was the only way to have access to gear and gear was necessary to level. So the frustration level was high. The game is a pleasure now. All the QoL issues are gone, so much more depth and complexity, more than one way to improve your character. It's like a completely different game, and an infinitely better one because it doesn't suck.

Thanks for the post. I appreciate it. Regards.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's nostalgia or just memory issues but the idea that nobody boxed, or had powerful machines isn't true.

The Pentium 3 was out in 1999, as well as the AMD K6 series. We had already started to move to DDR1 that hit the scene in late 98/Early 99 if I remember correctly.

In a different thread I mentioned running multiple GPU's in my main rig. I was a young teenager and was able to swing these machines with my $5/hr job

Maybe I'm younger than the people looking back on their specs in the 99/2000 era but the bulk of the people I played any lan/online game with were running pentium series processors if they weren't running AMD. This was back when AMD was the overclockers choice and we were really starting to break into phase change cooling. I can recall killing more than one CPU with improper insulation causing condensation to accumulate.

I personally didn't box because as is still true I'm not very good at the game. I had a friend running 4 boxes across two systems and four monitors.

The game itself was insanely difficult. I remember asking a ton of questions and getting some backlash in /ooc for it. I quite the game for a while after having multiple groups in a row give me some pretty rough verbal bashing for not being able to play my druid well. The feeling of the game was definitely different in 1999-2001'ish
Yep, you're right. I had a pretty hoss machine for the era, but I was an adult with a salary. Perhaps some people boxed back then, but it was truly unheard of. If you dared admit it, every little jealous punk would have been accusing you of "cheating" non-stop. I was speaking for the average player. Most of the player base were kids with hand-me-down machines, so lots of 486s were still in use. We saw a lot of them in our company coming in for upgrades. I think the biggest technical limitation at the time was dial-up.

And yes, the game was very difficult from many different angles.

Thanks for the post.

You should have seen the look on my face when I learned that you could hire an NPCs to help you. And you were super highspeed if you had a teamspeak app. I don't think they existed in 99. I could be wrong, but I certainly didn't know about them.

Regards!
Teamspeak came out August 2001; 22 years ago
Thus
"I remember getting my first teamspeak server up and running getting people to even understand you could play better and faster if you were not typing all damn day."
It was a struggle to convince everyone that was already used to typing to communicate; most people did not even have a headset. So it was not as easy as everyone
jumping on discord like today.

IRL - My EQ 99 vs EQ 24 experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back