• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Melee group synergy (1 Viewer)

Gohast

RedCents
815¢
So I'm looking to start a new group on a new server just to start from scratch. I would like to go melee heavy this time and I'm looking for suggestions on which synergize the best together. So far I'm thinking war,shm,brd. Any thoughts for the dps slots? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Trying not to double up on any classes!

Tried and True from pretty much everyone: SHD,SHM,BRD,BST,BER,ROG. The SHM/BST is only a pseudo double-up early on at lower levels, at higher levels different story.

Any tank will work there really. Paladin works, warrior works, but I love Shadowknights. Some might argue Paladins are underrated, and they very well might be.

Tried and True from pretty much everyone: SHD,SHM,BRD,BST,BER,ROG. The SHM/BST is only a pseudo double-up early on at lower levels, at higher levels different story.

Any tank will work there really. Paladin works, warrior works, but I love Shadowknights. Some might argue Paladins are underrated, and they very well might be.
Yea I was worried about shm/bst overlap but I've never played them at later levels. Definitely want the rogue.

Some of the best DPS I have ever had were with the group mentioned above. I did not have expacs on my caster group to compare, so unsure if it matched well to the melee group on Shei, Zland, etc. I will though soon.

This is a great group once the shaman can get some higher level spells and abilities, but at the early levels, you're going to feel some pain - especially if you are doing FTP. If I were doing what you're discussing. I would probably start with a cleric too - xtar heal/buff out of group and swtich it in the exp rotation every now and then to keep it at level with your group as you get the shaman up in levels

^^^^This for sure.....will be my next group since I'm caster heavy atm

So I'm looking to start a new group on a new server just to start from scratch. I would like to go melee heavy this time and I'm looking for suggestions on which synergize the best together. So far I'm thinking war,shm,brd. Any thoughts for the dps slots? Thanks in advance!

SK , sham , brd , BL , zerk , rogue/monk/pal (any of these last 3 for the last spot)

Just my two red:rcents.

[HINT: 🐻 You too can help prevent forum fires by also "red:rcenting" (click the :rc icon to the right ---->)

Im not so new to 6 boxing but more new to the plugins and background stuff. So far Pal, Shm, Rog, Bst, Bard, Rng is working great even if it is too early to judge them by it =P.

Yep, pretty much agree with the other posts I actually run SK/Shm/Bard/Bst/Zerk/Zerk but I more than likely will switch out one Zerk for a Rog. If you don't want to double up on classes.
SK/SHM/BRD/BST/ZERK/ROG is the way to go. I literally have no downtime with this group makeup.

If you did want to double up on classes the current meta I see is
SK/SHM/BRD/BST/ROG/ROG.
Any of these melee group makeups work well. The last one has a slight edge in overall DPS with proper gear and AA's.

Yep, pretty much agree with the other posts I actually run SK/Shm/Bard/Bst/Zerk/Zerk but I more than likely will switch out one Zerk for a Rog. If you don't want to double up on classes.
SK/SHM/BRD/BST/ZERK/ROG is the way to go. I literally have no downtime with this group makeup.

If you did want to double up on classes the current meta I see is
SK/SHM/BRD/BST/ROG/ROG.
Any of these melee group makeups work well. The last one has a slight edge in overall DPS with proper gear and AA's.
so rog dps is exceeding zerk dps in current end-game? I haven't really kept up with "new" new stuff, but I remembered zerk heavy teams literally melting mobs in EOK era..

Synergy being one reason to mixing it up, but what about all the 'alliance' type discs and stuff that you gain from having 2-3 of a certain class? does one outweigh the other enough?

so rog dps is exceeding zerk dps in current end-game? I haven't really kept up with "new" new stuff, but I remembered zerk heavy teams literally melting mobs in EOK era..

Synergy being one reason to mixing it up, but what about all the 'alliance' type discs and stuff that you gain from having 2-3 of a certain class? does one outweigh the other enough?
As I understand it, from what I've been reading around, the rogue has more sustained dps and the ber has more explosive dps.

Berserkers are no longer the OP melee DPS. They do solid DPS but have lost the crown to rogues. You might want to double down on zerks so their alliance spell can crit, in which case you'll get a nice boost from the pair.

I main a monk. I love/hate them. They are good middle ground DPS but don't really bring much to the table.

Rangers are a PITA with their minimum 30' bow range. They bring ADPS buffs and if tuned correctly do really well while burning. They also give you at least SOME ranged DPS for missions / bosses that have hard melee cock blocks like super sized DS or melee damage reflection.

In theory BST's bring a lot of DPS to the table. I've tried them a few times over the years and I could get great burst DPS but then their mana is gone and DPS drops in half. Others love them so its probably just me.

SK vs WAR. War is better overall tank but needs constant heals to stay alive. A SK has a TON of self healing and the SK epic makes all your melee self healing as well. Might want to consider going SK for the melee synergy.

I generally run with :

SK , CLR , SHM, BRD , MNK, ROG

The group does well enough for me. DPS is solid and I don't have to worry when doing missions where there is a stun/mez/etc. that takes out your healers like during Ob of Light.

I've seen the groups that go pure DPS and they are faster, but struggle when hit with something outside the box.

Overall I'd suggest trying classes you haven't played and see how you like it.

Yep, Zerkers progressive ability was triple hitting by mistake which is why they were great.
Darkpaw fixed the bug ever since Rogues took over as melee dps King.

Rogue alliance can be triggered by any class that uses the spider/scorpion poisons, if you're concerned about having that.

so, feeding my (i guess, other melee classes?) guys some clicky poisons to proc the poison effects will work towards triggering rogue's alliance? Or just rogue-specific poisons?

sorry the more I read this thread, the more I feel way behind haha

DONT FORGET BEASTLORD

so, feeding my (i guess, other melee classes?) guys some clicky poisons to proc the poison effects will work towards triggering rogue's alliance? Or just rogue-specific poisons?

sorry the more I read this thread, the more I feel way behind haha
Yeah, giving them poisons will trigger the rogue alliance.

Granted, with that much fire power, I shouldn't bother with alliance outside of nameds.

This is a great group once the shaman can get some higher level spells and abilities, but at the early levels, you're going to feel some pain - especially if you are doing FTP. If I were doing what you're discussing. I would probably start with a cleric too - xtar heal/buff out of group and swtich it in the exp rotation every now and then to keep it at level with your group as you get the shaman up in levels
I started a fresh group recently, and I regret starting with a shaman healer. It just lacks the healing power of a cleric pre-60. If I were to start all over I would start with a cleric and PL up a shaman after I reached a level where the shaman could take over. The shammie and beastlord constantly fighting for buffs also proved an annoyance at low levels.

any group that is SHM as solo healer will need a rez stick. absolutely mandatory.
Maybe true for raids. But for today's group-gaming once the tools available here set right, no rezz is mandatory as soon as the group reaches recent expansions. Once tank and shm is on par with the content (gear and AA) no casualties should happen anymore.
If you need instant-rezzes to feel happy, stick a nec into the group, if you don't have the stick.
My understanding of "absolutely mandatory" is, "you can't survive without it". If that is right, the terminus does not fit here.

if your choice is between
1. using Rez tokens
2. Waiting till you are out of combat and popping a merc
3. Waiting till you are out of combat and in resting state for a 7sec cast time Rejuv
4. Replacing a zerk with a necro, gimping your DPS (in all group situations) and needing a continuous supply of EE or
5. Getting a 1/2 sec cast, Rez stick

what do you think the answer is ?

go do some of the recent expac content and see how much fun it isn’t without a Rez stick. Revert with findings.

I am running

WAR
SHM
BRD
BER
MNK
ROG

I also keep a pocket chanter and cleric around if they are needed. If I drop my MNK and put in the CLR the double healing with SHM+CLR can get my WAR through just about anything.
I'd argue dropping the MNK for a BST and watching your WAR/BER/BRD/ROG DPS skyrocket. Just saying...equally geared MNK vs BST is similar DPS, but the aDPS the BST brings to everyone else tops anything the MNK can bring.

if your choice is between
1. using Rez tokens
2. Waiting till you are out of combat and popping a merc
3. Waiting till you are out of combat and in resting state for a 7sec cast time Rejuv
4. Replacing a zerk with a necro, gimping your DPS (in all group situations) and needing a continuous supply of EE or
5. Getting a 1/2 sec cast, Rez stick

what do you think the answer is ?

go do some of the recent expac content and see how much fun it isn’t without a Rez stick. Revert with findings.
I did all of the recent content ... and wiped some heroes.
Apart from that, my choice was: simply not to die.

Question - Melee group synergy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back