• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Mboxing and autogrant (1 Viewer)

mayjkb

RedCents
202¢
Hey guys,

I'm levelling a few toons for the first time.

First batch of 3 (rogue/cleric/enc) were gold accounts, with autogrant. I got that team from heroic to 93 with mercs and while it was less than optimal, I was able to play the game. I kept hearing that a tank merc was nothing compared to the real deal, so I rolled other toons :

A second batch of 6 FTP character with a SK in the mix. It was fun levelling them as a team until about level 75. At that point the gear you get while levelling starts getting irrelevant. The content you go up against is tuned for characters with 5x the HPs you get from leveling gear, stopping you dead in your tracks. And being of certain level is meaningless unless you have the thousands of AAs to go with it.

With that in mind, I went gold on my SK and got him some TBM gear - thank god for that. He no longer get one rounded by content, can last a few seconds now, but my AA-less/gearless cleric and shaman can't keep him up.

So I wonder, is it even possible to level a group of FTP Characters without throwing a Krono every once in a while? Would getting the 1000 free AAs make a difference?

Did I simply reach the end of the "free trial" and now i need to pay?

Hey guys,

First batch of 3 (rogue/cleric/enc) were gold accounts, with autogrant. I got that team from heroic to 93 with mercs and while it was less than optimal, I was able to play the game. I kept hearing that a tank merc was nothing compared to the real deal, so I rolled other toons :

A second batch of 6 FTP character with a SK in the mix. It was fun levelling them as a team until about level 75. At that point the gear you get while levelling starts getting irrelevant. The content you go up against is tuned for characters with 5x the HPs you get from leveling gear, stopping you dead in your tracks. And being of certain level is meaningless unless you have the thousands of AAs to go with it.

With that in mind, I went gold on my SK and got him some TBM gear - thank god for that. He no longer get one rounded by content, can last a few seconds now, but my AA-less/gearless cleric and shaman can't keep him up.

So I wonder, is it even possible to level a group of FTP Characters without throwing a Krono every once in a while? Would getting the 1000 free AAs make a difference?

autogrant stops at a certain xpac - which is supposed to be 4 xpacs behind current. so now autogrant will go up to EoK @ lvl 105.

for me, rolling new toons - if I plan on keeping them FTP and i don't *need* the AA to PL them up, I get them to that 105 range before i toss that krono on them so they can autogrant (and keep) all those autogranted free AAs - and then spend the next 30 days getting them AAXP instead of regular. once they're FTP again they still have access to any AAs they unlocked

autogrant stops at a certain xpac - which is supposed to be 4 xpacs behind current. so now autogrant will go up to EoK @ lvl 105.

for me, rolling new toons - if I plan on keeping them FTP and i don't *need* the AA to PL them up, I get them to that 105 range before i toss that krono on them so they can autogrant (and keep) all those autogranted free AAs - and then spend the next 30 days getting them AAXP instead of regular. once they're FTP again they still have access to any AAs they unlocked

Do you PL them to 105? I can't for the life of me imagine my team leveling any higher than 90 without most toons having had autogrant at some point.

Do you PL them to 105? I can't for the life of me imagine my team leveling any higher than 90 without most toons having had autogrant at some point.
Well, most of us have probably some Max AA, Well Geared Toons doing the leveling. So at 105 some could even be nekkid and no spells or abilities. :)

I do - this last round I did fresh toons, I krono'd them at 85 and kept them getting auto grant as i was getting them regular xp - if you're not PLing them, its pretty useful *especially* in and around the 85-100ish range as you start getting much more of the modern stuff

On the opposite side of the learning curve are my characters.

My paid chanter account has a J5 tank.
My paid ranger runs the J5 healer.

The other accounts usually chip in with dps merc.

I do have an up and coming SK - he is at level 95 ish right now but other things come up so don't get to play him much. He replaced my level 109 Pally that was to be a tank but now he is just a Brell's buff machine.

All my alts are around level 100-112. None raid. Basic gear of what you can buy in the baz and I don't really play a tank and we good.

I do not go to zones that are over my ability. Although TBM is below me for some reason we still get experience from the HA in there. So I farm a lot of those.
We can also farm named in FM but that is boring.

So my suggestion is to try a paid account tank and healer, get some good augs for your groups, and don't neglect those long and boring missions/tasks that give you extra stats.

Yeah i suppose I'll have to pay for my healers... I actually have two clerics, one lvl 85 the other 93 with AAs... my low cleric I used in my leveling group, and now I want to keep him updated because having a lvl 93 in group ruins the HAs... but I suppose I could toss him, gold my shaman and add a j5 healer... and I'll let the rest of my team (monk, wiz, bard) be dead weight for a few level still. At least the bard does mez (quite efficiently so, with KA).

Yeah i suppose I'll have to pay for my healers... I actually have two clerics, one lvl 85 the other 93 with AAs... my low cleric I used in my leveling group, and now I want to keep him updated because having a lvl 93 in group ruins the HAs... but I suppose I could toss him, gold my shaman and add a j5 healer... and I'll let the rest of my team (monk, wiz, bard) be dead weight for a few level still. At least the bard does mez (quite efficiently so, with KA).
How does it ruin the has? Too high level to complete? If you can do them with a higher toon in groupshould get better rewards

How does it ruin the has? Too high level to complete? If you can do them with a higher toon in groupshould get better rewards

My group is 86ish, struggling to do HAs. If my 93 cleric zones in, every mob turns 93+ beyond my tank's ability to, well, tank them. A 93 cleric can't save him in that case.

Try the HA's in TBM. Or the ones in Tainted West Karana. Some of the scaling is kinked so if you are doing the Gribbles or what is offered thru Clayton then those may be too hard for your group overall. Just cause it shows 75 as the minimun level doesn't mean one can be successful in them. I never was till well past 95.

And there are other sometimes better places to pl other than HA's.

For your group and wanting to get that low cleric up then I would be doing the daily's from Franklin for levels 85/90 and 95. Those are in hot zones. Get them all at once or you will get locked out for the rest of the day. If you like one of those zones then you can stay in it and still scoop up the bonus exp. There are special hot zone augs that drop in them also.

That way your low cleric can be there.

Ok so I just tossed my cleric away, and hired a j5 healer merc.

He can keep my SK healed without even breaking a sweat. I've never seen him go below 90% mana.

If you don't have powerful toons to PL your lower ones don't fret. Remember that you can still get pretty good exp farming light blues from older content. Like say going to Zeka can net you pretty good exp because the mobs have much lower hp totals and you can survive bad pulls. Don't assume that you have to be in current content to PL, sure it is nice if you can handle it, but it is very frustrating if you can't.

Hey guys,

On non-tank i'd say get them to 110, pop a krono and deck them in snowbound velium and t1 group drop stuff. You can buy it without the tov expansion of bazaar pretty cheap and should be pretty awesome in ros/tbl content with just a krono sink. Hope that helps. If you're going to be in that content, make a ranger for headshot.

If you don't have powerful toons to PL your lower ones don't fret. Remember that you can still get pretty good exp farming light blues from older content. Like say going to Zeka can net you pretty good exp because the mobs have much lower hp totals and you can survive bad pulls. Don't assume that you have to be in current content to PL, sure it is nice if you can handle it, but it is very frustrating if you can't.

J5 mercs are nice...but eventually the krono will run out on your tank and you will need that cleric. If your plan is just to box in old zones a cleric, shaman, or druid will be needed to eventually replace the j5 once your krono goes by...unless you intend to keep paying...then drop away. a 110 cleric is pretty righteous if you pop a krono on it. If you play it right...you can leave that tank and cleric with two or the regular low cost merc rogues in say...Shard's landing overnight and make up that cost in killing light blues farming blue and regular diamonds in a couple of days. It'll pay for itself.

Question - Mboxing and autogrant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back