• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - making new box crew what should I add? (1 Viewer)

Biggles

RedCents
243¢
ok so I got my mq2 working and I got all my settings and stuff figured out now im deciding how I want layout my box crew im thinking of making an sk,monk,cleric.shaman,chanter,zerker anyone else have recommendations?

I run SK, BRD, SHM, MNK, ZER, CLR while leveling to max level on Ragefire progression. Once max I run a rogue instead of a cleric due to not needing the cleric anymore. She's just for safety :)

ok so I got my mq2 working and I got all my settings and stuff figured out now im deciding how I want layout my box crew im thinking of making an sk,monk,cleric.shaman,chanter,zerker anyone else have recommendations?
i like covering the bases first (real tank, real healer, real CC/ADPS, then pair my dps with my CC/ADPS). I find that 2 priest classes can be a little overkill.

much of it depends on your goals and the content you're intending on doing. in current game bard in a HUGE amount of dps, especially for melee teams.

I personally prefer to pair bard with a melee team, and either a bard or chanter with a caster dps team.

shm aren't super great solo healers until they get into "modern" eq like 85-100+, and without some effort invested, you don't have a "real" battle rez - just a call.

"modern" era game has class synergy focus effects that cause other classes to get benefit - many classes also have "alliances" which you pair with other classes for big bump in dmg

very popular is 3 zerkers, or 2 zerkers and 1 bst paird with bard and tank/healer combo.

lots depends on your goals.

the absolute most important thing is enjoying your team - so start with what makes you happy, you can always make adjustments later if you need.

your shd/clr/shm/enc/monk/zerk team can do just fine - I would suggest a bard over that ench, but ench definitely has a better handle on CC in a pinch

i like covering the bases first (real tank, real healer, real CC/ADPS, then pair my dps with my CC/ADPS). I find that 2 priest classes can be a little overkill.

much of it depends on your goals and the content you're intending on doing. in current game bard in a HUGE amount of dps, especially for melee teams.

I personally prefer to pair bard with a melee team, and either a bard or chanter with a caster dps team.

shm aren't super great solo healers until they get into "modern" eq like 85-100+, and without some effort invested, you don't have a "real" battle rez - just a call.

"modern" era game has class synergy focus effects that cause other classes to get benefit - many classes also have "alliances" which you pair with other classes for big bump in dmg

very popular is 3 zerkers, or 2 zerkers and 1 bst paird with bard and tank/healer combo.

the absolute most important thing is enjoying your team - so start with what makes you happy, you can always make adjustments later if you need.

your shd/clr/shm/enc/monk/zerk team can do just fine - I would suggest a bard over that ench, but ench definitely has a better handle on CC in a pinch
Tank, Crowd Control (CC), and Cleric (my personal preference for peace of mind)
- 3x mages (if you want to keep it low budget (unsubbed after hitting a krono on each to max aa's)/high functionality)
- 3x berzerker for subbed pain dealing godliness
- 2x Zerker and either a bard, ranger, beastlord (for synergies/songs) - Good DPS Utility

For easy of play strongly recommend getting CWTN Cleric/Enchanter/Zerker or Mage plug-ins. You can get some kickass ini's from library too...but that's a whole lot other world of tinkering

well the main thing I wanted was the mq2 class plugins cause It makes it like 10 times easier to use which was why I was refraining from bard and im not like being sarcastic cause I know there's a lot of joking about mq2 bard lol gonna do it on a live server just don't know what's gonna be amazing endgame

currently my goals are I wanna be able to group in cod and do stuff not looking to raid but I am looking to be able to group efficiently and maybe some of the group missions

- 3x mages (if you want to keep it low budget (unsubbed after hitting a krono on each to max aa's)/high functionality)
- 2x Zerker and either a bard, ranger, beastlord (for synergies/songs) - Good DPS Utility

For easy of play strongly recommend getting CWTN Cleric/Enchanter/Zerker or Mage plug-ins. You can get some kickass ini's from library too...but that's a whole lot other world of tinkering
So far with my current crew I’m obviously not having any problems with heals I would like dps more dps cc is really good I was thinking about maybe swapping out the cleric for some kind of dps my main problem rn is im in the early levels so that’s all that has res currently but shaman has so much more utility also I don’t know what’s gonna be too dps come live with how much classes go up and down

So far with my current crew I’m obviously not having any problems with heals I would like dps more dps cc is really good I was thinking about maybe swapping out the cleric for some kind of dps my main problem rn is im in the early levels so that’s all that has res currently but shaman has so much more utility also I don’t know what’s gonna be too dps come live with how much classes go up and down
I think there's some distinctions that help early on. For example:
  1. Is this going to be your main crew?
  2. Will all of them be subscribed?
  3. How much does fun matter vs. function?
A mistake I've I made and read about people making here in the forums is that lack of clarity. So people end up sinking significant time and resources on throwaway alts...or fall in love with classes that don't mesh well. Best advice i can give you is to start and prioritize the core of your team...Tank/Enchanter/Cleric...then make separate alt accounts around it until you find what works for your main crew...

Once you figure out that mix of classes for your mains...alt away...without losing sight of what's the real team and what's just for fun. If you do that it'll be a blast and save you a bunch of grief down the line. Imo hardest choices are really only between:
  1. War or SK
  2. Cleric vs. Shaman/Druid...
  3. Enc vs. Bard..
Everything after that is trivial in comparisson.

If playing in an era with Mercs, just grab a cleric merc, suspend it. I know its a pain to drop a ton each time you need to use it, but in reality it gets you what you need. Plus, the cleric will buff the group, and stack with your shaman buffs. So, you can have a cleric merc on each of your characters to always have a rez.

Also, I know Sic already said it, but I will also say it. Play what you enjoy, don't make a cookie cuter group just because of an ability. Make a group you just love, and you can make it work through all content.

I stopped for awhile but, I ran Necro, Mage, Enchanter, Sham, Druid, Ranger. Mage pet did the tanking, I had cc, heals, and power house dps. I love the necro class. If I really felt like I needed a tank, the Ranger could step in also.

Just have fun!

I think there's some distinctions that help early on. For example:
  1. Is this going to be your main crew?
  2. Will all of them be subscribed?
  3. How much does fun matter vs. function?
A mistake I've I made and read about people making here in the forums is that lack of clarity. So people end up sinking significant time and resources on throwaway alts...or fall in love with classes that don't mesh well. Best advice i can give you is to start and prioritize the core of your team...Tank/Enchanter/Cleric...then make separate alt accounts around it until you find what works for your main crew...

Once you figure out that mix of classes for your mains...alt away...without losing sight of what's the real team and what's just for fun. If you do that it'll be a blast and save you a bunch of grief down the line. Imo hardest choices are really only between:
  1. War or SK
  2. Cleric vs. Shaman/Druid...
  3. Enc vs. Bard..
Everything after that is trivial in comparisson.
Making a main group rn but over time will make alts for fun will go for subscribed but will see I like to balance out fun and function cause fun to me is just the group succeeding and not sucking

If playing in an era with Mercs, just grab a cleric merc, suspend it. I know its a pain to drop a ton each time you need to use it, but in reality it gets you what you need. Plus, the cleric will buff the group, and stack with your shaman buffs. So, you can have a cleric merc on each of your characters to always have a rez.

Also, I know Sic already said it, but I will also say it. Play what you enjoy, don't make a cookie cuter group just because of an ability. Make a group you just love, and you can make it work through all content.

I stopped for awhile but, I ran Necro, Mage, Enchanter, Sham, Druid, Ranger. Mage pet did the tanking, I had cc, heals, and power house dps. I love the necro class. If I really felt like I needed a tank, the Ranger could step in also.

Just have fun!
That’s a good point didn’t think of it that way could just have mercs res would be no big deal thanks man

One of mine is Warrior, Cleric, Rogue, Ranger, Druid, Wizard.
Another is Bard, Shammy, SK, Mage, Enchanter, Monk
But mix and match is the name of the game.
Play what makes you happy :)

One of mine is Warrior, Cleric, Rogue, Ranger, Druid, Wizard.
Another is Bard, Shammy, SK, Mage, Enchanter, Monk
But mix and match is the name of the game.
Play what makes you happy :)
If you're going to splurge in plug-ins (you probably will at some point) consider making core classes consistent across your teams. EX - MQ2Eskay (SK tanks), or MQ2Enchanter (use enchanters for crowd control)...just to stretch your dollar a little more.

Also...consider leveling up in crews (2x - 6 player teams)...to minimize running around, wipes, down time etc. That's of course dependent on your rig...but even leveling up 6 at a time is faster using 6 mercs, 6 players in two teams at the onset

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going to splurge in plug-ins (you probably will at some point) consider making core classes consistent across your teams. EX - MQ2Eskay (SK tanks), or MQ2Enchanter (use enchanters for crowd control)...just to stretch your dollar a little more.

Also...consider leveling up in crews (2x - 6 player teams)...to minimize running around, wipes, down time etc. That's of course dependent on your rig...but even leveling up 6 at a time is faster using 6 mercs, 6 players in two teams at the onset

Great advice. I haven't even looked into those plug-ins yet, but the grouping is basically my plan already. I have several toons already higher level that I need to get all the lowbies caught up with. Fortunately one of the higher lvls is a shaman so I have a buff bot on staff for the lvling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id probably ad a second zerker , wiz, or mage instead of the monk...zerker is great DPS, Mage has Coth and wiz can port you around...plus porting to wiz bind spot is huge....i run 2 wizards for this reason...maybe im just lazy

Basic Setup...
Tank/Heals/CC/Dps/Dps/Dps

What I did and why....
SK/SHM/BRD/BER/BER/BST

Operating Cost: Starting fresh with no money, buying spells for too many toons would be impossible on first team until you are higher level and can farm some plat. Having any classes that share abilities or responsibilities means you dont have to buy those spells for both. Especially Buffs.
Travel: How important is this to you? If running to the nearest PoK book is too much for you, then consider a DRU/WIZ for one of the spots. For me it wasnt that big a deal so I wasnt stuck on needing one.
Rezzing: Are you ok with dropping a toon from group to merc rez? I was perfectly OK with it so I didnt "need" a cleric.
Pulling: Gonna need one. Effective tools include a from of Aggro Drop and Lull. One or both of these are available to SK, NEC, MNK, BRD, ENC, RNG. In the end game when bards get an aggro drop to go with the lull, they are king here.

With this in mind I starting Narrowing it down.

Tank - All 3 are viable for group content. Your choice here can cause you to lean towards or away from certain classes in other spots.
War: Cheapest to level due to not having spells. Only a limited number of tomes. Doesnt really "need" a slower in the group.
SK: More expensive due to having spells to buy. However, the taps makes life easier for a healer. Pets are a little bit of added DPS. On longer fights, the DoTs are a lot of extra dps AND hate.
PAL: Much like the SK is more expensive. Also less headache to heal cause the can self heal and stun A LOT! Stunning is a big hate increaser.

I chose SK here.
I decided on SK because of how it fits with the other classes I chose. Needing less heals means I didnt need a cleric. But no cleric meant I would need a cleric merc on standby at lower levels. Not a problem. I also wasnt hung up on need ports. So......

I chose SHM
Melee buffs, slows, acceptable heals. Now, Shaman can be expensive if you buy all the spells. So I though about classes I could add that would allow me not to buy all the SHM spells early on. I thought about all the spell lines that could be picked up by another class if I skilled them.
Haste - I wouldnt need this with a bard or chanter and was going to have one fore sure. Ok, no need to buy haste spells.
CHA buffs - Was my CC going to charm to need CHA buff? nope.
DPS - Was I going to add to the DPS of the group? Not early on no. Stuff would die too fast to makes SHM damage needed.
Resist Buffs - No need until much later.
In the first 50 levels or so the only thing I need my SHM to do is buff and heal. No need to malo, slow, nuke, or dot.

I chose BRD
Melee songs, CC, Travel songs, allows me to skip all caster DPS which would increase levels costs.

I chose 2 BER and a BST
All melee DPS is cheap. There are other positives too but for my first group with no money this was perfect. Only spells on the BST I bought had to do with pets. Summons, Buffs, and Heals. I set conditions so the SHM never healed the warder. That was up to the BST to do.

Just have fun!

I always been a fan of Druids/Ranger combo; and I feel that druids as a whole are an under-ultilized mis-understood class that offers a lot at the table. particularly in your Caster heavy group makeup.

I find that the zerker plugins dont work for me. The macro window goes (no pun intended ) beserk and text goes flying by faster than a human can read it. eventually it crashes and the macro end. I find kissassist superior to the CWTN plguins myself.

I find that the zerker plugins dont work for me. The macro window goes (no pun intended ) beserk and text goes flying by faster than a human can read it. eventually it crashes and the macro end. I find kissassist superior to the CWTN plguins myself.

MQ2Berzerker shouldn't be doing anything of the sort. If you can provide me with a screen snip of the CWTN plugin spamming your window I'd be able to assist you with getting it sorted as this doesn't happen to anyone else. I'm pretty curious to see it doing this. Though so as not to hijack this thread you can send me a PM as opposed to responding here.

Last edited:
Question - making new box crew what should I add?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back