• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Main and team progression (1 Viewer)

My words don't always keep up with my brain...

What I meant to say was: in a guild you may find someone close to you who is leveling someone around your level. Group with them and get a few levels on your SK, then go box with the SK a bit higher than the rest of the group. It may be enough to get over the hump. It's a plus if the other person is already good/knowledgeable - The guy that I grouped with knew where to hunt, what to buy, and when to buy it. He also used Discord - I find that to be much better than trying to type things while I'm getting my fingers used to key combos, etc. Likewise, guilds have their own chat channel, and likely Discords too - there are lots of us old folks who came back sometime around Covid - ask around on your server for a guild with others like you/me/us.

On the PLing, most of the ppl in HOT (on my server) leave the names to rot or give it away in zone. I haven't seen the offers of PLing for cash to be reasonable.

You could try the TBM missions, But this time run 4 chars though instead and use a Heal + tank merc, get 4 flagged, then work on other 2 once your other 4 are sorted,
this should eliminate the Tanking/healing issues for a couple runs

giving you chance to get your tank geared atleast

I switched to test, which was enough to get over the hump.. i managed to gear everyone up by buying as much as i could, and duping what i could as i copied stuff over. I just have mostly armor pieces now to upgrade, all the other stuff is pretty much caught up. I think I'll be fine now. Thanks guys.

You are trying to kill content that might be slightly over your level atm. When that content was new the only players that didn't have a rough time were people that raided the previous content. If I read that right you git 85 in 2 days? You are leveling too fast to properly gear your toons. Your best option is to kill in other areas. I find zeka and beza to be great places to hunt in the early - mid 80's yes they are lower lvl mobs, but they die fast, is relatively safe and you get sellables.

Once you get closer to 90 you should be able to manage 2 mobs in Feerott and start working on namers. Once you hit 92 and can get your hands on RoF gear you will be set until 100.

At 100 you can do gribble HAs until your eyes bleed and gear up each toon practically for free. You can really hunt gribble until 108 (at which time the exp is not worth it at all and you can be killing in FM effectivly (namers will still present a problem) but that place usually has a lot of rotting gear. I would stay in FM until 110, at the very least. If you don't have good gear with augs and such don't even think about ToV. ToV will make you want to quit unless your tank is ready for it.

How do you guys typically handle your main and group progression? What are things we should and must do as we level? My team is starting to come together and is nearing level 65 (SHD, SHM, BRD, BER, BER, BST.) I have not done any real questing yet, and have only geared up with defiant gear and the bazaar. I want to focus on the Shadow Knight, but I dont want to miss out on anything for the others that will help the group progress either.

The hardest part of searching is finding information that is not obsolete. From my searches, I gathered the following:

1. COTF progression for Hero AAs at level 100 (for entire group.)
2. SHD Epic, 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0? Not sure this is still relevant?

Hmm...well i know this might take you down a different rabbit hole...but this is why I counsel people for their first team on going tank/crowd control/cleric 3x mages. A naked mage with some spells can still function pretty well. That allows you to focus on gearing one tank and the healer well.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, it helps for sure! I do have AA/Auto-Grant enabled. I'm not in a guild, I actually made my own, but i wouldn't mind being in a real guild. Just not sure how to look for one being a 6 boxer. I am actually doing a Griggles adventure at the moment, and doing ok. Its slow going, but I think this will help me gear up some.

I did ask in general about PL to 90 or so, just to get me over this hump, but they wanted 90 bucks in kronos, and I've already spent too much :P

I did buy a mount from the store, but MQ2Eskay dismounts me... not sure how to use those.
Holy. Ppl are selling powerlevels from 1 to 100 for half that on my server.

As was mentioned, Feerott or achievements for that gear will help. You do not have to kill nameds at all to get 8-900hp gear, it drops randomly. Fearlinked I think the name is, and it's all/all. Just killing in Feerott will slowly net you some. If you are doing ok in Gribble's that will also help since you earn good xp and currency, and if you have gear for 85 you'll be fine. Unfortunately elegant defiant gear is absolutely horrid long before it's recommended level. You could also look into cultural as the components are wicked common and cheap now, and people may be willing to make it for you for nothing if provide mats(to learn recipes) you'll have to look what level fits you, I forget, but there are other advantages to cultural if you intend to level slower- plenty of free rotting raid augs(last bloods mainly) from people getting 2.0 orbs, and that stuff really boost the gear, but it ain't cheap to make due to amalgamators and mechanoinstructions.

Holy. Ppl are selling powerlevels from 1 to 100 for half that on my server.

As was mentioned, Feerott or achievements for that gear will help. You do not have to kill nameds at all to get 8-900hp gear, it drops randomly. Fearlinked I think the name is, and it's all/all. Just killing in Feerott will slowly net you some. If you are doing ok in Gribble's that will also help since you earn good xp and currency, and if you have gear for 85 you'll be fine. Unfortunately elegant defiant gear is absolutely horrid long before it's recommended level. You could also look into cultural as the components are wicked common and cheap now, and people may be willing to make it for you for nothing if provide mats(to learn recipes) you'll have to look what level fits you, I forget, but there are other advantages to cultural if you intend to level slower- plenty of free rotting raid augs(last bloods mainly) from people getting 2.0 orbs, and that stuff really boost the gear, but it ain't cheap to make due to amalgamators and mechanoinstructions.

I managed to clear Crypt of Sul once for the TBM progression, but it took like 2 hours. I can't buy anything off of that armor merchant yet... apparently i have to go to the Fear/Hate revisted places (even though my faction is as low as it can get.) Not sure i can handle anything in there yet.... as they swarm.

Gribbles took me a little while to complete as well.. I had to be very careful on pulls. I don't recall if i went there before or after my move to test, but I probably should try it again. I can only do that ever 6 hours or so, right?

Currently, I'm doing my 1.5 SK epic.... waiting on spawns :)

I was thinking of raising blacksmithing, so i can make these templates, but not sure i can do it any reasonable amount of time. The required items to do that do not seem readily available, without farming.

Last edited:
I managed to clear Crypt of Sul once for the TBM progression, but it took like 2 hours. I can't buy anything off of that armor merchant yet... apparently i have to go to the Fear/Hate revisted places (even though my faction is as low as it can get.) Not sure i can handle anything in there yet.... as they swarm.

Gribbles took me a little while to complete as well.. I had to be very careful on pulls. I don't recall if i went there before or after my move to test, but I probably should try it again. I can only do that ever 6 hours or so, right?

Currently, I'm doing my 1.5 SK epic.... waiting on spawns :)

I was thinking of raising blacksmithing, so i can make these templates, but not sure i can do it any reasonable amount of time. The required items to do that do not seem readily available, without farming.
SK epic will help tremendously. Gribble's are every 3 hrs from start. I assume you did Scouting Ahead. That's the shortest one, followed by into the hills. Or maybe it's the other way around lol...the Length of the name in the selection box tends to correspond to the time it takes to complete, at least in dead hills(there's an ogre with tasks too)

Not sure which template you're talking about with blacksmithing, but if you have plenty of plat, smithing isn't hard to get to 300. You make chain(they and their mats stack higher) templates, with various ores depending on skill. I always would aim for 100+ above my own when selecting a recipe(use eqtc) and make a bunch of those. BEFORE embarking on tradeskills, you should buy first 3 ranks of mastery in the skill, and any salvage aas, to make the most use out of your materials. Also, make sure to do the freebies in crescent reach or abysmal sea...if you ever plan to do 350, do abysmal sea so it's less tedious later, if not, crescent reach is the quickest. They give you all materials for the quests and will get you to..54? 64? So etching like that. Then, you can work on getting higher. Remember, you will need some tradeskills to about 200 to complete the epic as well but I forget which- probably smithing or tailoring.

If you've found some decent gear after moving to test, the rest just comes with practice really. Getting familiar with the toons and tasks and zones and you will get more efficient. When things start to get instinctive on your main toon(right now at least focus on playing the tank) it will all fall into place and you'll know exactly what it is you are and aren't missing.

Don't forget to check for remnants of tranquility, even if not used for gear(so many augs and such for those idk anything about it) you WILL want to make use of the slot5 augs for 15-30 levels until you can farm better.

This might be a tad late to the party, but I went through something similar. You read about all these different box group combinations and just jump right in expecting it to be easier than it really is. This is not to knock anyone's advice here, but most of the box groups people advise are based around a raid main tank, or a tank they have been using for a long time, or a tank they powerleveled and given a full set of gear to bypass the pain. For those people who are starting out from scratch, most camps will roll over them because they don't have the gear. For this reason, you need to either:

1) Drop one of your DPS toons and add a second healer (like a druid or shaman) or
2) Pull with your bard and only bring back 1 mob at a time or
3) Both of the above.

Once your tank is in most of the era gear, you can drop the second healer and add the dps back and pull with impunity.

This might be a tad late to the party, but I went through something similar. You read about all these different box group combinations and just jump right in expecting it to be easier than it really is. This is not to knock anyone's advice here, but most of the box groups people advise are based around a raid main tank, or a tank they have been using for a long time, or a tank they powerleveled and given a full set of gear to bypass the pain. For those people who are starting out from scratch, most camps will roll over them because they don't have the gear. For this reason, you need to either:

1) Drop one of your DPS toons and add a second healer (like a druid or shaman) or
2) Pull with your bard and only bring back 1 mob at a time or
3) Both of the above.

Once your tank is in most of the era gear, you can drop the second healer and add the dps back and pull with impunity.

So I won’t disagree on that except if they ae leveling it from scratch the biggest item is getting enough AC augs as they level at the appropriate levels. With so many player made augs this isn’t quite as bad as it used to be. You still need to either camp or big up bazaar hear (snowbound) to be able to gear up but leveling a tank up is not “near’ as bad as it used to be.

You do still have to 100% focus on tank gear/augs though.

IRL - Main and team progression

Users who are viewing this thread

Back