• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Long time, no play. Trying to get back in the saddle. (1 Viewer)

zinlakin

RedCents
74¢
Hello all,

Came back to EQ and can't seem to find many to play with at low levels (fresh start) and alt tabbing isn't working out. Heard about this community decided to give it a try. Tried to download and need level 2 access, but don't know what content I can contribute with so little knowledge on anything current in the game.

welcome to redguides zinlakin!

Getting Started / Returning user

Welcome to RedGuides, fellow EQ multi-boxing enthusiast!

The best place to begin is our "New User Guide" video series, click this TV to watch:

This step-by-step series will teach absolute beginners how to control 6 characters at once while highlighting Nav, AutoLogin, and DanNet, which are fundamental plugins that will enhance every aspect of your game.

Returning users check out - MacroQuest Release Party: https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/macroquest-release-party.80628/ for information about changes from the legacy MQ2 to the new and awesome MQ

:rc A Redcent is the currency of our community. You can trade them in for Level 2 access, Krono, and more. Learn about them here:

Happy Pop Tv GIF by One Day At A Time

I had taken a long break, came back and EQ alone had a lot of changes, the walk throughs are nice, not everything is answered, but it's enough to be dangerous LOL... that said, I definitely found that learning and refining the INI taught me the most; experiment here, ask a question here, apply it there, seemed to teach me the most about it... I really enjoyed the older INI websites that walked me through (though I believe some are out of date or whatnot... they still were a really great place to learn a basic knowledge)

KISSASSIST

Still one of my favorites for learning and quick reference, if there's better, I am unaware... another one I liked for / macro commands was

MQ2MOVEUTILS

Just a couple nuggets that help me sort it out... and then again, asking questions of the community here @ RG has been HUGE!

Good Luck and Welcome Back!

Just my two red:rcents

[HINT: 🐻 You too can help prevent forum fires by also "red:rcenting" (by clicking the :rc button on the bottom right of this post]

Last edited:
Hello all,

Came back to EQ and can't seem to find many to play with at low levels (fresh start) and alt tabbing isn't working out. Heard about this community decided to give it a try. Tried to download and need level 2 access, but don't know what content I can contribute with so little knowledge on anything current in the game.
The link in the middle about RED CENTS will teach you how to get them, hug them and kiss them all over. I will pop you a Red Cent so you can see what it looks like on your name. Remember - "you too can red cent" :)

Happy Pop Tv GIF by One Day At A Time

I had taken a long break, came back and EQ alone had a lot of changes, the walk throughs are nice, not everything is answered, but it's enough to be dangerous LOL... that said, I definitely found that learning and refining the INI taught me the most; experiment here, ask a question here, apply it there, seemed to teach me the most about it... I really enjoyed the older INI websites that walked me through (though I believe some are out of date or whatnot... they still were a really great place to learn a basic knowledge)

KISSASSIST

Still one of my favorites for learning and quick reference, if there's better, I am unaware... another one I liked for / macro commands was

MQ2MOVEUTILS

Just a couple nuggets that help me sort it out... and then again, asking questions of the community here @ RG has been HUGE!

Good Luck and Welcome Back!

Just my two red:rcents.
Thank you, time to get to reading =)

I forgot to ask, is it better to 3 box and use mercs or is 6 boxing worth it? Alt tabbing has me trying to minimize as much as possible lol.
If you're going to box using RG at all, I would recommend 6 because actual Player Characters (PCs) are ALWAYS going to be better (even if only Free To Play(F2P)) than any Merc; however, if and ONLY if you're going to be subbed on 3 accounts and need to start easier off, then you could do 3 PC 3 Merc... just make sure your 3 PC = Tank, Healer, CC/Support (i.e. Pal Sham Ench>Bard) and then you could either do Merc Healer, 2x Merc Rogue, or 3x Merc Rogue

[HINT: 🐻 You too can help prevent forum fires by also "red:rcenting" (click the :rc icon to the right ---->)

Last edited:
If you're going to box using RG at all, I would recommend 6 because actual Player Characters (PCs) are ALWAYS going to be better (even if only Free To Play(F2P)) than any Merc; however, if and ONLY if you're going to be subbed on 3 accounts and need to start easier off, then you could do 3 PC 3 Merc... just make sure your 3 PC = Tank, Healer, CC/Support (i.e. Pal Sham Ench>Bard) and then you could either do Merc Healer, 2x Merc Rogue, or 3x Merc Rogue

[HINT: 🐻 You too can help prevent forum fires by also "red:rcenting" (by clicking the :rc button on the bottom right of this post]
I've been mulling over a 6 box comp, but keep getting stuck on which classes due to overlapping. Like, is having a shaman and a cleric losing too much dps? Should I stick to tank, heal, CC, and 3x DPS?

I've been mulling over a 6 box comp, but keep getting stuck on which classes due to overlapping. Like, is having a shaman and a cleric losing too much dps? Should I stick to tank, heal, CC, and 3x DPS?
IMO... single cleric works great for 99% of the time (or it did for me when I played live). My druid could solo heal, but only after max AA and awesome gear (at level 110). I think Shaman can solo heal earlier than druid, and is def better than druid once geared+AA.

Then the call is really do you want a melee group or caster group... or mix a match... really, go with what you think is fun and do not worry too much. you can re-configure your group easier than you think once you get your first group up there (PL becomes the sometimes easy/fun part).

I went with SK, CLR, Enc, Dru, Mag, Wiz and had a blast. But I wanted a mostly caster based group. Many like a melee based, so they may go with Tank, Bard, Shm, Bzk, Rog, Rng (or double up on the Bzk/Rog). There are always going to be overlaps.

Truly unless you are trying to min/max to the most fine point... it's hard to go entirely wrong.

The example I gave you keeps you from overlapping buffs and gives you the "holy trinity" in conquering content...

EITHER Pal Sham Bard 3x Merc Rogue OR SK Sham Bard 1x Merc Healer + 2x Merc Rogue

[HINT: 🐻 You too can help prevent forum fires by also "red:rcenting" (click the :rc icon to the right ---->)

I forgot to ask, is it better to 3 box and use mercs or is 6 boxing worth it? Alt tabbing has me trying to minimize as much as possible lol.
If you're going to automate one, just go all the way and do 6. You can roll fine with 1 subbed account and 5 FTP. When you hit 110, sub the other 5 for a month and grind some AA. You will be auto granted up to TBL as well.

IMO... single cleric works great for 99% of the time (or it did for me when I played live). My druid could solo heal, but only after max AA and awesome gear (at level 110). I think Shaman can solo heal earlier than druid, and is def better than druid once geared+AA.

Then the call is really do you want a melee group or caster group... or mix a match... really, go with what you think is fun and do not worry too much. you can re-configure your group easier than you think once you get your first group up there (PL becomes the sometimes easy/fun part).

I went with SK, CLR, Enc, Dru, Mag, Wiz and had a blast. But I wanted a mostly caster based group. Many like a melee based, so they may go with Tank, Bard, Shm, Bzk, Rog, Rng (or double up on the Bzk/Rog). There are always going to be overlaps.

Truly unless you are trying to min/max to the most fine point... it's hard to go entirely wrong.
Thanks for the advice! If I can get it figured out, min/maxing may be something far down the road for me, but for now I agree focusing more on what is fun will make the learning curve easier to stick to.

The example I gave you keeps you from overlapping buffs and gives you the "holy trinity" in conquering content...

EITHER Pal Sham Bard 3x Merc Rogue OR SK Sham Bard 1x Merc Healer + 2x Merc Rogue

Gotcha! Def going with the SK since when I played back in the day, I mained a necro and FD pulling was the only method I learned lol.

Question - Long time, no play. Trying to get back in the saddle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back