• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
Logrotate for EverQuest, Very Vanilla and everything else on Windows 10

Guide - Logrotate for EverQuest, Very Vanilla and everything else on Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

Redbot

🖥️💖
RedCents
88,113¢
Pronouns
He/Him
Redbot submitted a new resource:

Logrotate for EverQuest, Very Vanilla and everything else on Windows 10 - Automaticlly compress log files and delete ones that are old

Description
This guide will show you how to compress and rename any log file that's over 50MB, and then do it automatically each week. Up to 30 of these compressed files will be kept for each log, which gives you over 6 months of archives. You can easily change these settings.

The Problem
If you have log files turned on in EverQuest (/log on) and Very Vanilla (/mlog on) you may have noticed they grow very quickly and become a pain to open and...

Read more about this resource...

I delete my logs everyday because I'm paranoid as cluck. Do I need this?
I'm not sure why that would make you feel less paranoid, but if it makes you feel good I won't judge! You'd ideally want a script that just deletes them everyday.

If you want to use logrotate for the same purpose, use these settings and set it to run daily:
INI:
C:\Users\Redbot\Games\Everquest\Logs\eqlog*.txt {
    rotate 1
    size 1M
    prerotate
        @echo off
        echo Let's keep our EQ folder tidy
        echo parameter pass %1
        VER | TIME > TEMP.BAT
        ECHO SET TIME=%%3>CURRENT.BAT
        DEL TEMP.BAT
        DEL CURRENT.BAT
        ECHO It's %TIME% now
    endscript
}

Last edited:
Had to modify the eqrotate.conf to get this to work. Namely this part here "& "C:\Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest\Logs\eqlog*.txt"" to get it to work with the spaces in the directory names I had to add the & and " " around the path and filenames and it started working for me.

# sample logrotate configuration file
# uncomment to enable compression of rotated log files
compress
& "C:\Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest\Logs\eqlog*.txt" {
rotate 30
size 50M
prerotate
@echo off
echo Let's keep our EQ folder tidy
echo parameter pass %1
VER | TIME > TEMP.BAT
DEL TEMP.BAT
DEL CURRENT.BAT
ECHO It's %TIME% now
endscript
}
& "C:\Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest\Logs\*.log" {
rotate 30
size 50M
prerotate
@echo off
echo Let's keep our VV folder tidy
echo parameter pass %1
VER | TIME > TEMP.BAT
DEL TEMP.BAT
DEL CURRENT.BAT
ECHO It's %TIME% now
endscript

I'm not sure why people are stressing over Windows log files. By default they're only allowed to grow to 20MB! And if you ever want to troubleshoot a Windows problem it's nice having some log data to review.

I can certainly see the problem with large EQ and MQ logs and I not only clean them regularly, but I moved them all to a compressed RAMDisk folder.

Guide - Logrotate for EverQuest, Very Vanilla and everything else on Windows 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back