• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Contest July Contest: What type of server would you create? (1 Viewer)

I think I'd make a RG members only EQ server that stopped with PoP. VeryVanilla compile only. 3 box limit so that nobody would be able to perma camp the good stuff.

I believe there is a learning curve to customize such a server.
I would start with a basic setting.
Limit the number of toons to 3-6 plus one bazzar mule.
Add customization gradually.

I would create the following server:

I would have quests in the starting cities scale-up to level 100 giving non-prestige gear to help with heroic toons starting out.

I would create walking statues for houses that would wear past gear in original form.

Work on the Pulling range - and set it up as a Graphic interface.
The Circle that shows your pull area, and your camp. - Could click the circles and move them bigger and smaller
The outside Pull Circle - You could click the circle, and move it and bulge it around mobs you don't want to pull. Push in some areas that are dangerous. All making it better and easier to control the pull locations. This would make pulling even better.

It would make controlling the puller and group so much easier, and you could avoid dangerous areas (like cliffs), and avoid areas with dangerous pulls. This wouldn't be needed all the time by any means, but it would allow you to control exactly what mobs you wanted to bring to your camp.

I would have a server that would promote playing together. You could "solo" molo what ever you would like to call it at a reduced reward. The key would be that unlocks to zones and raids would be done by individual character counts. So 200 individual toons would have to achieve an achievement before anyone could encounter a "Boss" or "Raid". This server would have a way to random into groups and port you to a mission or dungeon to instantly start fighting and gaining rewards. It would have bonuses for classes that are needed to get people of all classes in evolved. If you want/need to play solo with "mercs" of the CWTN usability, you could at a fraction of the reward.

For instance. Think of OOW expansion. You would have to have a certain number of individual toons achieve 1 round of trials before another trial opens. This number is set high. When the next trial opens it opens for everyone at the same time.... You would have the ability to do this from POK with an npc porting you to the instance zone for the task. If 6 individual toons achieve success then thats 6 to the count. However if somone has completed the achievement you would gain merit for helping other individual achieve the mission. Some kinda reward that would reward you for your time. Something to promote everyone to play the same content if they wanted. When things are unlocked they are unlocked forever. Maybe lock zones behind certain quest and the server effort would unlock the zone for everyone.

Rewards for first time completion would be an option of 3 items that is raid gear for that current expansion..... Maybe you gain points for help helping other toons complete the mission and they are able to be spent on augs or cosmetics.

The point of this server would get people to play the same content and give an incentive to help old and new players alike. After content is unlocked anyone can "use" the content. Leveling would be an issue but you would scale to a original level intent to play at orginal design. If your so many levels ahead then you would be fully raid geared at level so you have an advantage.

I know major hurdles would be in place like keeping a good count of active players and making achievable statistics to keep the game going. Maybe have a "leader board" or missions completed the fastest or certain number of people helped that is stored for people to see for the entirety of the server life. Make it so that toons can be glorified by achievements or helping others but its noted for all to see.

Another idea to help is to be able to take a snap shot at a certain level to be able to reduce your level and gain back the gear you had at that level to help a friend catch up. Still your toon but at level 65 instead of 115. The would allow you to go back and get items you always wanted and you was never able to get this. You could gear your toon from an era to play in that era. I always wanted Dragonkiller from Vish but was never able to get it when it was current content. Could you imagine getting everyone to back to PoP era to do a Time raid but have a system that would reward your toon like years before. Maybe allow you to get an updated version of your favorite item from back then that would be current group stats or better.

Lots and lots of things would have to be settled to make something like this happen but man it would be fun. Well everything but GoD expansion! But hey it was challenging.

Not an idea for a whole server but my ideas for additions to the game have always been:

1) Constantly evolving items. You start with base gear, and as you accomplish missions, raids, etc… you get upgraded “augments” which slot into your armor. Except instead of exchanging like the current augments, the changes become permanent and the augment gets absorbed into the items, like epic 2.5. This way you don’t generate clutter or have to carry around different items to keep clickies on you, they are forever embedded in your gear. There may be a few new items to work towards along the way, but most of the “gear treadmill” would be simplified by upgrading the gear you already have.

2) matchmaking system with level scaling, similar to other games. I know that’s probably controversial but being able to “queue” as DPS to do a raid or mission run would have kept the social aspect of the game healthy for players with less time, IMO. And a level 100+ being able to scale down to run a level 70 raid seems preferable than the shroud system and monster mission system they came up with. People want to play their character, not a fucking goblin cleric with no gear and a totally unfamiliar set of skills and spells.

a fully MQ accepted server (official or not) but sanctioned by DPG to allow people like us the option to all coagulate on one server and form our own guilds/gruops and social scene etc. i know its weird as i run 24 toons but i would love to know i could safely meet others and raid with them etc. basically im looking for a drama free BS free server where MQ users could play up to live content (either through tlp prog or wide open seasons right away) without having to deal with all the current situational issues. if its sanctioned and official imagine how much money the company could once again make if not official than they would most likely than solve there cheating problems. sure you'll still have the rmt gamers but a lot less boxers to sift through to find them and ban them for rmt.

its something ive always thought might be neat. sure there are lots of holes in the idea but its what id like to see ! also what a bunch of great ideas posted so far! this community's creativity is awesome

I've always loved the mechanics and complexity of EQ, but the visuals of WoW. If i had unlimited time and capability, It would be amazeballs to port the zonemaps and models from WoW into the mechanics of EQ. Same EQ game, just some custom zones - Tauren monk with epic, FD, and flying kick running through an instance of deadmines would be super cool IMO.

a fully MQ accepted server (official or not) but sanctioned by DPG to allow people like us the option to all coagulate on one server and form our own guilds/gruops and social scene etc. i know its weird as i run 24 toons but i would love to know i could safely meet others and raid with them etc. basically im looking for a drama free BS free server where MQ users could play up to live content (either through tlp prog or wide open seasons right away) without having to deal with all the current situational issues. if its sanctioned and official imagine how much money the company could once again make if not official than they would most likely than solve there cheating problems. sure you'll still have the rmt gamers but a lot less boxers to sift through to find them and ban them for rmt.

its something ive always thought might be neat. sure there are lots of holes in the idea but its what id like to see ! also what a bunch of great ideas posted so far! this community's creativity is awesome
you should try lazarus EQ private server. Laz is super cool guy. Guides and server owner will help you get your MQ up and running and efficient.

A Free trade server with instanced versions of alternate zones available on an Agent of Change. For instance, You can zone into Sleepers Tomb 1.0 with an unawakened sleeper. Since we're talking about something that will never exist. I also would like the Original Bazaar, and balanced PVP restricted to a few open zones. Also some kind of super-duper ultra-rare game-wide drop that allows the use of an item editor to create your own unique no-trade item. Like 1:1000000 drop rate or something.

I like the idea of a time locked hardcore server. No rez. Once you die, that's it. Exp goes 20x faster though to make up for it. If you die, others can loot your corpse and you can loot other people's corpses. When you create a character, that name is tied to your account unless you release it. When that character dies, you can create a new character with the same name but it has a numeral after it. For instance, if you create a character named Smellytroll and he dies, you can create Smellytroll again and he is named Smellytroll II and if he dies, Smellytroll III is created. What's in your bank stays with you as an inheritance for characters with the same name. The Sunrise Village where your guild plot is located is redone with a graveyard with tombstones of all the names of the people in the guild who have died. Game starts out with the original EQ and then adds an expansion every few months.

As a second idea, how about a Second Job server where you pick one class you want to specialize in and another class that you want to secondary. Your secondary class is about 10 levels behind your primary class. For example, if you chose to primary a warrior and secondary a shaman, at lvl 100 you get all the warrior discs of a lvl 100 warrior and all the shaman spells up to lvl 90.

The Sunrise Village where your guild plot is located is redone with a graveyard with tombstones of all the names of the people in the guild who have died.
Players have requested this many times over the years to honor lost ones.

It was easier to just do it myself rather than waiting for the devs to do something so I made a graveyard in my current guild neighborhood. There are coffins you can get, elegant graves and other things to make it look good.

Just like account to account transfers that were stopped in 2016....at that time I just started making my new characters on their own accounts and now they are all 6 years old and no one is on the same account.

So if the graveyard is something you want, just do it!:)

Like Live with RG accepted. No active hacks like ghost kill, no delay, basically RG flavor of MQ only. Any zone can be instanced by any player to prevent whining about camping mob whatever.

My new server would start with Seeds of Destruction and the change to 85. All new characters would start as heroics, max AAs and a full set of elegant defiant gear (visible and non vis). You would also get a full compliment of non trade able 20 slot bags. old world content is not available until the new expansion comes out expanding those areas. Yep, no epic 2.0s yet sunshine.

The ability to instance any zone, TLP with the unlocking being based on current content being completed (either by a single guild or some other number), free trade, 200% xp bonus, content over 2+ xpacs old is automatically unlocked (Looking at you TDS on live...). Final xpac is whatever can be done currently with EMUs, if possible up to live would be great.

I love seeing the new content each year, so I would miss that on an EMU.
I'd love to be able to play my main effectively. I run a group because I have to, not because I can. I love playing with my buddies when we can all get on. I'd like us each to be able to pick our favorite and be an effective team, but have the ability to add alts if wanted.
Instanced version of all zones available if requested. Play the main one if you want to interact with others.
Hot chick illusions! ;)

My new server would start with Seeds of Destruction and the change to 85. All new characters would start as heroics, max AAs and a full set of elegant defiant gear (visible and non vis). You would also get a full compliment of non trade able 20 slot bags. old world content is not available until the new expansion comes out expanding those areas. Yep, no epic 2.0s yet sunshine.
Wouldn't you need a reason to do the old content though? Cause you would already be ahead of it. Or am I misunderstanding?

• All expansions open at start, however lock leveling at 50, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, etc every 3 months.
  • Remove level restrictions on landing spells
  • Free Trade Server.
  • Box friendly with MQ and most encounters tuned to a group of 6. Raids with a max of 36 needed (6 people of 6)
  • All gear with stats that scale up to recommended level 200. So, a level 1 char when he gets an item, it will be 1/200th of its full power.
  • All procs on gear scale up to recommended level 200. Again, a level 1 can use but it will be as above in power.
  • All spells scale up to recommended level of 200. No need to constantly have upgraded spell lines. Still can have a large variety though.
  • Can pay plat to create your own instanced version of a zone for 24 hours and invite as many to it as you want but you "control" it.
  • Since all gear would scale, make each drop unique and not cookie-cutter like most new items are now.
  • Make augments with a variety of utility as well since they would scale in power.
  • Revamped Bazaar that uses nobles for currency. People can keep nobles or convert back to plat.
  • Auto gnome illusion in guild lobby so everyone can get around easier.
  • Free milk and cookies.

A recreation of Rizlona should have been.

-Start in Luclin
-Half Lockouts on Raids
-Sleeper 1.0 Instance that does not change when OW goes to 2.0 (Why not)
-Unlock Demi and DK at the same time
-2 month unlocks?
-3 rd Party Programs, AFK ok
-MacroQuest current build available (instead of using the old MQ2 like current EMU)
-Some sort of GM support, Quest bugs, Toxic players

Wouldn't you need a reason to do the old content though? Cause you would already be ahead of it. Or am I misunderstanding?
Epics. Nostalgia. Until the revamped versions of the old continents come out in the future expansions, you don’t get any of them. It’s not a big brain idea. Just an idea to try to get new people closer to the masses a bi faster

Classic (Box) (No Transfer On or Off)

115 toon – basic raid gear from Claws of Veeshan as a heroic

New Accounts Only - I don't work for them but damn this could make them some money

Raids launch 2 weeks after live severs - ok if this is a good idea, I still want a leg up

Oh, the price....

I've played on several EMU servers over the last couple of months after getting wailed on by the banhammer.. So I've had a little taste of different flavors to draw from. That said, while some ideas seem good, they break balance and motivation in the game. Ultimately there has to be a reason to keep playing. If the game is pure winning, what's the point?

My ideal server would be:
  • More than one server, but the same rule sets. Have one server as close to live expansion / level cap as reasonably possible. Have another server for PoP era (it was popular). And of course have a P99 style, but with MQ and multi-boxing allowed. Progression sucks. I want to play the era I love and not worry about being forced into the era's I don't.
  • Add LDoN style gameplay to all servers, but make dungeons where they can be designed by players, with limits on drops and keep the true to the era of the server they are on. IE: No GoD style mobs on a P99 style server. Give points for completing crawls that reward custom gear / spells just like LDoN but constantly being developed and expanded.
  • Vanilla MQ allowed with no AFK limits providing the AFK grinding was done in instanced zones or not in people's way (no farming desirable loot afk). AFK Macro's and MQ allowed: Getting mad at people for AFK macro'ing is stupid. EQ is basicly the modern version of scripting MUD's in the old BBS days.
  • 6 EXP accounts active at a time, more if you want them for sitting in zones watching for spawns, buffing others / PL'ing, shopping or tradeskilling, etc..
  • No 1 human 30 box raid groups, but make some kind LFG tool for raids that can quickly gather people to take down raids.
  • All race/class combo's available. Gnome monks are cool, and having a 1 person group of the same race makes more sense in a RPG setting. Plus it's just downright cool.
  • Make ALL zones able to be instanced for the purpose of leveling, camping quest mobs, etc. However make them have instance lockouts. Don't make instanced zones so accessible that people can farm raid drops back to back.
  • Add HARDCORE versions of older zones where custom loot can be found (none tradeable) but the boss mobs are doable with 1 group, but very, very difficult to do so.
  • Most non-raid drops are tradeable and not attunable so they can be re-traded. Don't completely break the economy with everything tradeable. Tradeable non-raid gear promotes options for newer players and drives good bazaar activity.
  • Add focus to lower level items or add some kind of defiant style gear with focus for lower levels. Low level focus items were missing from early expansions, and EMU suffers from a balance issue of focus gear starting out.
  • Add an NPC bazaar option or some other meta bazaar where items can stay for sale regardless of the user being online. This will keep more items on the market and keep the market open for all time zones. Make it where you can shop on your phone, and tell it which character to draw the money from and the item will be sent to that player for pickup when they get back in game at an NPC of their choosing.. (?)
  • Make trade skill items drop more often but zone specific. Looting pristine spider silk off a robot in PoInnovation doesn't make sense lore or logic wise.
  • Don't make spells auto granted or every spell available on vendor. Otherwise it breaks research, and removes the cool factor of having that rare(ish) spell.
  • No items granted or looted that scale to the top of the game, or ultra fast EXP. It breaks too much of the gameplay and makes it too easy to "win".
  • Keep the Risk vs Reward and don't have free 100% rez's or corpse summons. Perhaps even at higher levels make death have a random chance to "break" gear and make it go yellow and stop granting stats until it's repaired. Add some more pain to wiping for the 9th time on that fabled boss.
  • Widen the EXP range between levels in groups and make it possible for people to shroud or de-level to group with friends.
  • As soon as possible with the client: Add player housing. It seems stupid, but it's one of the things I miss most about not playing on live. I miss my custom guild hall and homes per group. Also add some extra reasons to use them. (Logging out at home grants a rested EXP bonus for a time?)

Now for the part that most people will hate:
Add currency much like the lazarus server has, where donations can be made to the server operation and development in exchange for currency that buy special items, exp potions (serverwide), vanity gear, or account functions like name change, race change, account change, etc.. But keep the account functions cheap like one or two USD so as to not discourage the use, but help the server out a little from the use. Even the DC coins on lazurus are cool where players can trade AA's through the coins. Lazurus's business model is one of the best I've seen and should used an example of how to make the server and developers not have to pay for all the operating costs out of pocket.

Remove level limit spell caps. Lore wise, why would a ultra powerful caster not be able to cast their BBQ magic on a lower level? This will result in people AFK buffing in gathering places and noobs running around with ungodly HP's. To counter this, something like fast tick down timers based on level disparity could be used. Example: A top level mage DS will only last 2-5 minutes on a level 1, but last full length on a level 50. (considering top level at 70). This way PL'ing is an option, but I win buff bots are less viable.

Make things in the game cost plat, but scale accordingly. Instancing a raid zone should cost some coin. Instancing an open normal world zone should cost less. There needs to be a fair amount of money sinks in the game to keep the economy from running away in short order.

Anyway, that's my 2redcents.

Last edited:
First of all I have to say that I'm really impressed with some of the wild and original ideas thrown out in this thread so far, way more interesting than what I came up with..

But personally my ideal server would be a mixture between p99, TLP and progressive MQ2. (The way I recall it, original EQ had close to zero people playing more than one computer, at most you would see a few people with a secondary pc starting around Kunark for porting / self-pl, but seeing 3 chars or even 6 was just not a thing until much later).

The server would start with classic EQ, old zones (freeport, ec) , old drops (guise, manastone) and close to the original exp rate but without penalties, which while slow would also allow for a slower expansion unlock. I would like to see something like a 2 box limit, and some MQ features enabled but absolutely no AFK play -- I think that a server being launched this way would be popular enough that you could easily find groups and there would be no need for a fully automated 6 man group, or any sort of raid, and you could still have a pocket porter/healer/rezzer/buffer.
Each expansion would unlock every 3-6 months depending on the content it provides (for example loy/ldon really doesn't bring that much to the table when compared to the likes of PoP).
Starting from PoP I would raise the box limit to maybe 3 or 6 (3 would mean that you could have a full group if playing with a friend, for example). From there you could tweak/review the boxing / mq2 rules according to the server population, but no AFK play would ever be permitted.

I know it's not super original, and I'm sure a lot of the numbers would need tweaking and reviewing. In general my 'dream server' is probably silly, as it is fairly evident I'm just looking to re-live the golden days of EQ, but TLP servers and P99 are both popular, so I just figure... why not take the best of both worlds!

Server with all the buyable "fashion quest" shit accessible. Everyone has pre-set armor that levels as you do (and is locked if doing a TLP type server for the next tier to go). Make raid bosses drop specifically augs, and lots of fashionquest sets.

*Edit* - to add, it wouldn't necessarily making raiding "pointless" as you'd get all the cool augs and fashion sets, but it would definitely be less "desirable" and more for the thrill of tackling big game (And fashion, yo! ). Since MQ is allowed on this server, it would make playing a smaller crew feasible.

Last edited:
I would expand on PoP and OoW as I really enjoyed those expansions. Trolls and Ogres playable as any class too. I swear I am not messed up but I like the new graphics but I would 100% bring back the ass scratching. I thought it was hilarious. As mentioned above, fashion would get some improvements too.

I would create an EQ server where the only gear available is crafted gear and epic quests (obviously this would require far more items added to craft). Raid mobs would drop tradeskill materials required for top tier equipment. I would add much more subcombines that require low level tradeskill drops to make the high level gear so the economy will always demand all levels of tradeskill drops so that people just starting out or leveling still have ways to make money as the items dropping at their level are still needed in the subcombine for high level gear because "It's the Economy, Stupid".

First of i am new to this whole TLP concept of Everquest, but so far ive really enjoyed both thornblade and yelinak.
Tho my favorit combo would be something similar to thornblade where everything can be trade to players and perhaps the ability to make raids with a LFG tool while limiting the box armies.

and reading some of the posts here im not really bringing anything new to the table, as you all have some amazing ideas that i support too.
just my 2cent as a new player!

I remember leveling on Rallos Zek back in the day and being able to pvp and take a piece of no drop equipment off of the character you killed. God it was a rush any time you had to afk. Even grouping with other people felt like you were constantly looking over your back and afraid of getting low on HP. I'd love the nostalgia of brining that back. Maybe mixing that with Mischief's ruleset so rare mobs dropped random gear. Would be a blast.

In-game /random will be held Tuesday Aug 9th at 5pm PST (~19 hours from now) on the Vox server, Crescent Reach newbie spawn point.

I'd add a mobile game component that allows you to progress your character while you can't play, but model it after the chance that your character could get killed and lose experience so there is risk involved.
But if I were going that route, I might make it so you can "loan out" your character as a mercenary. Your gear, aa, and skills stay the same, but your effectiveness is toned down so that an equivalent player would outperform you (by a small margin, not the gap that mercs have now). You could then also use this with another account to have your own characters as mercenaries in your group.
I'd remove stat augments completely. I hate dealing with augments. So the only augments would be ones that have effects on them and ONLY effects.

EQbnb! And death to augs. Equipment is tedious enough when boxing 12 or more.

One like live for current content, but it is made into a squad game where you can earn or pick up members through questing (like the old Final Fantasy Games) or even overseer achievements, where they are like Mercs but with better functionality/customization and gear. You can swap them in and out in a personal guild hall type of function at a banker, up to six in a group (1 live player). Also the raid limit is increased again beyond 54 and you can bring them on raids.

I love this, earn your boxed toons!

I am attempting to adhere to the already existing game without drastically modifying the core. I will include at the end of this post, what I would change about the game.

Live Server with the following changes:
  • No restrictions on RGVV Macroquest. ISBoxer, Gameparsers, etc A definitive list will be available and that software will be allowed. GM's trained on what is allowed and what isn't. No guesswork involved.
  • No server transfers on or off the server. Everyone starts out at level 1. No Heroic characters can be purchased. Lower level gear drop rate is increased by 50%.
  • All races can play any class. You want a gnome bard, play one. You want an Iksar Cleric or Berserker? Choose it.
  • All gear is tradeable, including raid loot.
  • Change of Defiant gear. No more 15 different iterations, you farm the initial Defiant gear and it scales to level 60. Next set Conqueror gear and scales to 90. Next set Vanquisher and scales to 120. Mission/Quest/Raid armor will be better versions/variations of the Defiant gear and give alternatives.
  • Kronos are not tradeable, sellable, barterable, etc. No more of these 16 kronos Blood-Soaked items. You can still buy/sell Kronos on other servers to use on your account for gold access, but cannot use it as currency.
  • Group Missions take the classes present into consideration and offer loot for just those classes, pulled from a pool of all the available loot in that expansion for that tier of mission.
  • Scaleable raids in two settings. 12man and 24man. Difficulty levels for these raids as well. Normal, Heroic, Insane. Gear drops are still the same, just scaled differently. For instance - Reapers BP of Excellence (Normal), Reapers BP of Excellence (Heroic), etc. Still same name but with a different flag on the end, better stats, and different color.
  • Everyone has access to the Heroes Forge at the start. Any in game item dropped can be converted into a Heroes Forge ornament. Look the way you want to. Want a lvl 15 wicked looking shield? Convert it.
  • Every quest/mission etc is scaled to group. No more of these individual missions that must be done 6 times over for boxed toons. If you are solo, fine. If you are grouped, it is a group task and items needed drop for all at one time. If you need 10 of an item, all 6 players get that item.
  • Progression locked. Expansions cannot be unlocked until every boss from previous expansion has been killed.
  • Actual NPC buffbots in PoK, Guild Lobby. Free buffs for all.
  • Bind point locations more accessible to farming areas you are currently visiting.

Core changes: Totally revamped Tradeskills system. So many ideas on this, but might be a thread on it's own.

These are pretty sane ideas, and I believe most have already been done by an emu server or three. Would be great to see them all together.

First of all I have to say that I'm really impressed with some of the wild and original ideas thrown out in this thread so far, way more interesting than what I came up with..

But personally my ideal server would be a mixture between p99, TLP and progressive MQ2. (The way I recall it, original EQ had close to zero people playing more than one computer, at most you would see a few people with a secondary pc starting around Kunark for porting / self-pl, but seeing 3 chars or even 6 was just not a thing until much later).

The server would start with classic EQ, old zones (freeport, ec) , old drops (guise, manastone) and close to the original exp rate but without penalties, which while slow would also allow for a slower expansion unlock. I would like to see something like a 2 box limit, and some MQ features enabled but absolutely no AFK play -- I think that a server being launched this way would be popular enough that you could easily find groups and there would be no need for a fully automated 6 man group, or any sort of raid, and you could still have a pocket porter/healer/rezzer/buffer.
Each expansion would unlock every 3-6 months depending on the content it provides (for example loy/ldon really doesn't bring that much to the table when compared to the likes of PoP).
Starting from PoP I would raise the box limit to maybe 3 or 6 (3 would mean that you could have a full group if playing with a friend, for example). From there you could tweak/review the boxing / mq2 rules according to the server population, but no AFK play would ever be permitted.

I know it's not super original, and I'm sure a lot of the numbers would need tweaking and reviewing. In general my 'dream server' is probably silly, as it is fairly evident I'm just looking to re-live the golden days of EQ, but TLP servers and P99 are both popular, so I just figure... why not take the best of both worlds!

This is basically "relaxed" truebox but I like the limit constantly increasing. When do we get 18 box?

I remember leveling on Rallos Zek back in the day and being able to pvp and take a piece of no drop equipment off of the character you killed. God it was a rush any time you had to afk. Even grouping with other people felt like you were constantly looking over your back and afraid of getting low on HP. I'd love the nostalgia of brining that back. Maybe mixing that with Mischief's ruleset so rare mobs dropped random gear. Would be a blast.

Item-loot PvP was the ultimate anti-AFK code :)

I'm looking forward to logging into some of the servers in this thread. There's considerable talent in the emu scene with more arriving as of this summer. Folks like Akkadius have focused on making emu servers easy enough for a novice to run, and hardware requirements are dropping as quickly as skill requirements (I set up a playable server in ~1 hour on a $12 VPS). If you have the urge to create, you can make your own EverQuest.

By May of 1999 I had War, Cle, Enc and Dru box going. I got my warrior to level 18 and could not kill green cons without a group so rolled cleric. Then I wanted haste and clarity and sow and ports..... I was the exception though back then. I remember not knowing if playing multiple characters on multiple computers was allowed so I had them setup on different emails even back then.

I also recall in 2000ish needing a certain number of characters on to create a guild. So off I went to Wal-Mart and bought enough Kunark retail boxes and then went to my business and was running around from office to office to hail the GM to show they were all on at the same time for him to make my first "personal" guild.

MQ-friendly, but afk-not.

If we're jumping off the deep end of possibilities I'd like a server and guild with all the friends I've made in my 20+ years playing this game and we all had as much free time to play as we wanted

The winners are....

The map: @Saffron
Six Krono: @taz6two
RedGuides Zippo: @rouneq
Any paid resource: @RangerDanger13
Color username: @Atheos32
Month of Level 2: @Turaj Steelfist

Messaging you all now :)

contest log:
[Tue Aug 09 23:28:40 2022] You say, 'ok I was very late on this one, you're all going to have to take my word on it becuase nobody else is here to witness'
[Tue Aug 09 23:29:05 2022] You are thirsty.
[Tue Aug 09 23:29:05 2022] You are out of drink.
[Tue Aug 09 23:29:19 2022] You say, 'alright we have 74 entries!'
[Tue Aug 09 23:29:24 2022] You say, 'priming the pump:'
[Tue Aug 09 23:29:27 2022] **A Magic Die is rolled by Redbot. It could have been any number from 2 to 75, but this time it turned up a 32.
[Tue Aug 09 23:29:31 2022] You say, 'alright here we go'
[Tue Aug 09 23:29:46 2022] You say, 'For the month of level 2, the winner is....'
[Tue Aug 09 23:29:50 2022] **A Magic Die is rolled by Redbot. It could have been any number from 2 to 75, but this time it turned up a 25.
[Tue Aug 09 23:29:51 2022] You are thirsty.
[Tue Aug 09 23:29:51 2022] You are out of drink.
[Tue Aug 09 23:29:59 2022] Targeted (Player): Redbot
[Tue Aug 09 23:29:59 2022] Right click on yourself to bring up your own inspect window. Use the /toggleinspect command to enable or disable right-click inspecting. You can also enable Click Through Self in the Options Window to stop clicking on yourself.
[Tue Aug 09 23:29:59 2022] You have not received any tells, so you cannot reply.
[Tue Aug 09 23:30:04 2022] You say, 'Turaj Steelfist!'
[Tue Aug 09 23:30:17 2022] You say, 'who has 2000+ redcents lol'
[Tue Aug 09 23:30:37 2022] You are thirsty.
[Tue Aug 09 23:30:37 2022] You are out of drink.
[Tue Aug 09 23:31:23 2022] You are thirsty.
[Tue Aug 09 23:31:23 2022] You are out of drink.
[Tue Aug 09 23:31:59 2022] You say, 'Turaj will certainly not care, but congrats anyway you're on record as a winner'
[Tue Aug 09 23:32:09 2022] You are thirsty.
[Tue Aug 09 23:32:09 2022] You are out of drink.
[Tue Aug 09 23:32:18 2022] You say, 'For the beautiful color username, the winner is...'
[Tue Aug 09 23:32:28 2022] Logging to 'eqlog.txt' is now *ON*.
[Tue Aug 09 23:32:35 2022] **A Magic Die is rolled by Redbot. It could have been any number from 2 to 75, but this time it turned up a 53.
[Tue Aug 09 23:32:55 2022] You are thirsty.
[Tue Aug 09 23:32:55 2022] You are out of drink.
[Tue Aug 09 23:33:39 2022] You say, 'Atheos32!'
[Tue Aug 09 23:33:41 2022] You are thirsty.
[Tue Aug 09 23:33:41 2022] You are out of drink.
[Tue Aug 09 23:33:55 2022] You say, 'For the paid resource of your choice, the winner is...'
[Tue Aug 09 23:33:58 2022] **A Magic Die is rolled by Redbot. It could have been any number from 2 to 75, but this time it turned up a 20.
[Tue Aug 09 23:34:25 2022] You say, 'RangerDanger13!'
[Tue Aug 09 23:34:27 2022] You are thirsty.
[Tue Aug 09 23:34:27 2022] You are out of drink.
[Tue Aug 09 23:34:58 2022] You say, 'For the RG Zippo, the lucky firestarter is...'
[Tue Aug 09 23:35:02 2022] **A Magic Die is rolled by Redbot. It could have been any number from 2 to 75, but this time it turned up a 6.
[Tue Aug 09 23:35:13 2022] You are thirsty.
[Tue Aug 09 23:35:13 2022] You are out of drink.
[Tue Aug 09 23:35:14 2022] You say, 'rouneq!'
[Tue Aug 09 23:35:57 2022] You say, 'For six Krono....'
[Tue Aug 09 23:35:59 2022] You are thirsty.
[Tue Aug 09 23:35:59 2022] You are out of drink.
[Tue Aug 09 23:36:02 2022] **A Magic Die is rolled by Redbot. It could have been any number from 2 to 75, but this time it turned up a 21.
[Tue Aug 09 23:36:14 2022] You say, 'taz6two!'
[Tue Aug 09 23:36:45 2022] You are thirsty.
[Tue Aug 09 23:36:45 2022] You are out of drink.
[Tue Aug 09 23:36:46 2022] You say, 'and this dusty old map '
[Tue Aug 09 23:37:01 2022] You say, 'that I found in a mysterious old chest...'
[Tue Aug 09 23:37:08 2022] **A Magic Die is rolled by Redbot. It could have been any number from 2 to 75, but this time it turned up a 57.
[Tue Aug 09 23:37:09 2022] Eimear begins casting Selo's Sonata II.
[Tue Aug 09 23:37:24 2022] You say, 'saffron!'
[Tue Aug 09 23:37:31 2022] You are thirsty.
[Tue Aug 09 23:37:31 2022] You are out of drink.
[Tue Aug 09 23:37:52 2022] You say, 'goodnight moon!'

Contest July Contest: What type of server would you create?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back