• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Joining a guild as a dps vs a tank (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,284¢
So I basically only want to join a guild so I can raid with the limited time I have, but when I join as my main(sk) people want you to tank for their exp groups (I can’t set aside hours to do this anymore)is the only way around this to join as a wizard or something?

How do you fly under the radar in a guild?

Just play the game normal on your Raid toon, If you cannot play a toon without MQ and be good at it then you need to reconsider your class choice for raiding. Most guilds wont take tanks as they are full. Find a guild who lets you pick 1 primary alt, and play the class they most need and make your tank the primary alt.

Just play the game normal on your Raid toon, If you cannot play a toon without MQ and be good at it then you need to reconsider your class choice for raiding. Most guilds wont take tanks as they are full. Find a guild who lets you pick 1 primary alt, and play the class they most need and make your tank the primary alt.
I can play Normal without mq just fine. The problem is when you join as a tank people want you to group more and there’s the problem when your time is limited and You’d rather box and progress your own group vs holding others peoples hands in exp groups .

No need to fly under the radar. Just explain that while you would like to help them but you have some other things your working on atm or that a raid will be forming soon and you want to do that.

Another excuse is your watching the kids or spouse doesn't know your playing, your expecting a call etc and you might have to drop soon so don't want to start something.

I mean its nice to be helpful in a guild but it can get out of hand where all your time is spent doing stuff for them and no time left for you. Having been there at one point I found sometimes you just have to say no.

Are you the only tank in the guild? Join a bigger one then. You sound like your real kindhearted so am shocked you play an SK as they are usually stuck up Richards. Would have pegged you more as a pally - all light and beaming and helping :angel:

I don't want to sound like an @ss, but what's wrong with just saying, "No thanks."? Is your time valuable? Is it a limited resource? Yes to both? Then why do you feel obligated to donate it? Just explain that what time you have is going to be spent advancing your characters or raiding. I'm not sure I understand why this is a thing in your mind. I suppose this is not the time or place to be philosophical, but I f-ing hate altruism. There seems to be this perverse notion that unless you're pouring all your time/resources/talents/abilities/money into someone else's cup, then you're not a good person. F that sh*t. And you can rest assured that the people trying to convince you that you're a bad person if you're not altruistic, are the ones demanding all your resources. Anyway, you're under no moral nor ethical obligation to donate your time to others. And you should do so ONLY if you want to, but never because you feel obligated or fear criticism.

Most of the raiding guilds on my server folks only show up for raids and their time is their time. Everyone is selfish to the point you want to be,so I actually don't think it's a problem. I've been in a few over the years. It sounds like you're worrying about trouble that isn't there.

I agree with RobRenfro, join the guild with what you want to play. No one is going to pressure you into grouping with them and if they do, find somewhere better. But on the other hand, joining that mission run group thats LFM wont hurt in getting to know everyone (30mins of your time at most). Plus you will figure out which idiots to stay away from

Join the guild, do the raids and be social in /gu. When it comes to grouping you can always decline and can blame real life due to many random unplanned AFK breaks needed for you and the family. It's rare, very rare that I join a group and when I do it reminds me why I always box. Play the game for you, and how you enjoy playing it.

I tend to help out guildies where I can, and invite them to missions etc as needed. That said, I do tend to spend a lot of time doing my own thing, especally when I am trying to level another group or set of characters. I don't think anyone gets upset about it, but if they do, it points more to their issue rather than mine.

I don't want to sound like an @ss, but what's wrong with just saying, "No thanks."? Is your time valuable? Is it a limited resource? Yes to both? Then why do you feel obligated to donate it? Just explain that what time you have is going to be spent advancing your characters or raiding. I'm not sure I understand why this is a thing in your mind. I suppose this is not the time or place to be philosophical, but I f-ing hate altruism. There seems to be this perverse notion that unless you're pouring all your time/resources/talents/abilities/money into someone else's cup, then you're not a good person. F that sh*t. And you can rest assured that the people trying to convince you that you're a bad person if you're not altruistic, are the ones demanding all your resources. Anyway, you're under no moral nor ethical obligation to donate your time to others. And you should do so ONLY if you want to, but never because you feel obligated or fear criticism.
It stems from the family guild mentality. The guild is a family hogwash. My guild is serious raiders who raid and whatever else you do is your beeswax

Just be honest. If you don't have the time because you have commitments and other priorities IRL.
You don't have to tell them, "you prefer to Bard around for an hour or two." if that is the case.
I had to even stop playing because the time involved to maintain ones own equipment to even be able to raid was taking a lot of dedicated time.
To be honest back in the days...
in 1999 everything was word of mouth web sites were just starting up.
Maps and quest info was written/printed on paper and stuck to the wall for easy viewing.
If you wanted a second monitor you needed a second computer. VGA in those days 640 480 was you graphics until SVGA
But I learned to play EQ by grouping with others.
I learn Class techniques used by others. Learned where to find the best drops and how to run camps right.
By learning how to play better, I decreased my online time to fulfil my toons needs.
That was dedication in time to playing EQ.
I am starting to sound like my father. He use to tell me that he had to walk 10 miles to school barefoot to school every day.
ya I am that old. Now I have all the free time to play, I am to broke to pay for it to play gold. <--- edit

ok done rambling... message
  • Being forthright about our commitments and priorities is essential. Sometimes, we might feel pressured to give elaborate explanations, but a simple acknowledgment of our limitations can go a long way.
  • Balancing real-life responsibilities with leisure activities like gaming can be challenging. It’s okay to set boundaries and prioritize other aspects of life.

I'm told on FV there is a guild made up of Red Guides Members Only who actively and willingly help each other because they want to. They sure have something pretty special going on. Or should I say we do.

I'm told on FV there is a guild made up of Red Guides Members Only who actively and willingly help each other because they want to. They sure have something pretty special going on. Or should I say we do.
Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

Don't underestimate the value of goodwill. Be friendly, kind, generous, and helpful when you can.
I firmly believe the more of this behavior a player demonstrates, the more people are willing to overlook our flaws.
I use my own Lua scripts to raid, although I main a DPS class.
I try to be discreet, I never share or even mention radar information, although I do use it to keep myself alive during raids.
I let the tracking classes do the tracking.
Also, since DPSers in my raid guild are competitive when it comes to parses, I aim for the middle of the pack for my class.
Which is as simple as slightly increasing the delays between casts.
I could tune my scripts to regularly contend for the top DPS slot for my class, but the top and the bottom attract attention, both unwanted.

So I basically only want to join a guild so I can raid with the limited time I have, but when I join as my main(sk) people want you to tank for their exp groups (I can’t set aside hours to do this anymore)is the only way around this to join as a wizard or something?

How do you fly under the radar in a guild?
I wouldn't sweat it, I get that for them it can be frustrating and theyd rather not pug an outsider, but it isn't your responsibility to fill the tank role in every exp group when you're online. I tend to keep to myself and box alone but every once in awhile I'll throw out that I'm LFG just to see if anyone needs help with anything.

Could always tell people you're working towards artisan prize... no one questions the time that will take you.

Don't underestimate the value of goodwill. Be friendly, kind, generous, and helpful when you can.
I firmly believe the more of this behavior a player demonstrates, the more people are willing to overlook our flaws.
I try to be discreet, I never share or even mention radar information, although I do use it to keep myself alive during raids.
Also, since DPSers in my raid guild are competitive when it comes to parses, I aim for the middle of the pack for my class.
I could tune my scripts to regularly contend for the top DPS slot for my class, but the top and the bottom attract attention, both unwanted.
discretion is the name of the game for me too. I am now working on a wizard and a ranger for some discrete things I'm planning for the summer :)

I didn’t think of increasing delays between casts to blend in more, that’s a great idea

I started playing EQ a few months before PoP came out. I joined a raiding guild was always willing to help others as I was a BST and was max AAs and best gear you could get at that time I could tank just as well as any plate class. Then life got hectic with work marriage and kids. I logged on raided and logged off. Weekends I would just log in to chat I wouldn't do any type of group activities. I just plainly explained to my guild my time was limited and I have no time or will to do group activities just raid.

It sucked as I did miss goofing off in groups it was more laid back and relaxed. But ultimately it was my time my money and everyone understood. Just be honest with them and if they dont like it find a new guild

Just be honest. If you don't have the time because you have commitments and other priorities IRL.
You don't have to tell them, "you prefer to Bard around for an hour or two." if that is the case.
I had to even stop playing because the time involved to maintain ones own equipment to even be able to raid was taking a lot of dedicated time.
To be honest back in the days...
in 1999 everything was word of mouth web sites were just starting up.
Maps and quest info was written/printed on paper and stuck to the wall for easy viewing.
If you wanted a second monitor you needed a second computer. VGA in those days 640 480 was you graphics until SVGA
But I learned to play EQ by grouping with others.
I learn Class techniques used by others. Learned where to find the best drops and how to run camps right.
By learning how to play better, I decreased my online time to fulfil my toons needs.
That was dedication in time to playing EQ.
I am starting to sound like my father. He use to tell me that he had to walk 10 miles to school barefoot to school every day.
ya I am that old. Now I have all the free time to play, I am to broke to pay for it to play gold. <--- edit

ok done rambling... message
  • Being forthright about our commitments and priorities is essential. Sometimes, we might feel pressured to give elaborate explanations, but a simple acknowledgment of our limitations can go a long way.
  • Balancing real-life responsibilities with leisure activities like gaming can be challenging. It’s okay to set boundaries and prioritize other aspects of life.
Not to take everything off track but I was running dual 17" CRT's in 1999.

Memory is fuzzy but I think before turn of the millenium I was running a Geforce 256 in my AGP slot and an ATI Rage series card in PCI.
My world was 1280x768 back then.

I definitely remembering sharing paper maps.

Question - Joining a guild as a dps vs a tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back