• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - is it possible to PL via gribble? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,120¢
so im doing hatchery.mac. my PLee hits 76 and then all of the sudden mobs go from mid 70s to mid 90s and i get roflstomed. so after trying doing it manually i realize just how lazy i am and give up. so my other go to place for experince and currency for some filler gear is dead hills heroic missions, specifically gribble. so can i do those missions with my 115 SK and have my lowly 76 shaman gain exp from turn in?

i believe you can, but unsure if the level difference of more than 30 levels will have an effect on that, i mean it shouldnt, but who knows with eq.

go to the factory of the gnomes, and mass ae pull with sk on mount, then ae with shaman and ds up sk, win win

if you have a beefy enough tank with an outside healer. using the start area of the grounds i what i do 67 to 85, pulling half a side of the entrance then the other, then pulling the big lane past the main zone in area and keep the baby toons parked there. using an outside healer plus wurmslayer ( the eok one) makes pl super easy

To PL at any level, you need a tank high level and your alt(s). Take the task and zone alts FIRST to set level of the mobs. Mobs are lvl 24 minimum, so your alt must be 15-20, so your spells are not full resisted by mobs.
If you zone in at lvl 20-29, mobs will be 23-24, lvl 30-39, they will be 33-34, etc... this is why you zone 1st with alt. Alt must use an AE, you can raise a bard with your alt for PL them. With the tank, pull all mobs to zone line (SK have great AE agro spells without damage). Once all mobs are on your tank, move 1 alt for AE mobs and when you think you have hit all mobs, DS your tank. Mobs will die on DS and Alt will get XP.
DO NOT FINISH THIS TASK, just zone out after get XP.
Tank can be 115 and alt lvl 0, they will get XP as the tank is not in alt group.

so im doing hatchery.mac. my PLee hits 76 and then all of the sudden mobs go from mid 70s to mid 90s and i get roflstomed. so after trying doing it manually i realize just how lazy i am and give up. so my other go to place for experince and currency for some filler gear is dead hills heroic missions, specifically gribble. so can i do those missions with my 115 SK and have my lowly 76 shaman gain exp from turn in?
I have a 105 SK that I group with the other 5 at 75. I take a 110 mage and set up Kiss Assist to keep the highest level DS available on the tank from outside the group. Set them up in Argath and just make SK puller tank. There are quicker ways but once you have the PL toons it's really easy to set up and you can just leave it going.

You can do this through to 85 if you're not in a massive rush then get them to Sathir's Tomb, I usually pick 2 or 3 off at 80 and group them with 110s in Frontier Mountains, that gets them to 85 really quick.

You should never need to do Gribbles when PL'ing with a 115 SK. I have only done a couple of toons, but below is what I found to work best for me.

It may slow down a bit at 80 or so, but you can do The Grounds to level 85, at which point grouping with the SK will be your best bet. You can actually do The Grounds from 15 to 85 and skip the hatchery completely (I find the hatchery approach a bit slow).

For those that haven't done it before (and yes, there are other guides, but they all seem to gloss over a few details):
  1. Park ungrouped PL'ee in a safe spot. I prefer just outside the door to HoT as this area has no named with AoE's.
  2. Pop merc healer for the SK (you can't heal the SK with taps and even level 80 mobs can wear you down). Set SK as puller so merc stays put. Can maybe skip healer if using Wurmslayer, but risk riposte damage if you do.
  3. Equip zero damage items in primary and secondary. I use a fishing pole and a fire beetle eye or two FB eyes.
  4. Go out and round up some mobs. Grounds mobs have crazy aggro, so you don't need to do anything but run over them. Don't stop running - you want the mobs all behind you, and coming at you from roughly the same direction.
  5. When you have enough mobs (one side of the field is usually good, but start small), run back to camp but don't go all the way. Turn around and face the mobs. They will not be able to hit you and will not take DS damage. Let them bunch up as the AoE range isn't huge. Cast PBAoE hate spell (Revulsion, Contempt) once or twice to make sure you have all of the mobs attention. Do not reply on AA's like Explosion of Hatred as these hit a limited number of targets and you don't want to miss any. Take as much time as you like, it may seem hectic and something you need to do quickly, but if you are facing the mobs there is no risk of some dying from the DS before you are ready, as they shouldn't be able to touch you. Similarly there is no risk of your death even if no healing is incoming.
  6. Once you are sure you have the crowds undivided attention, move into camp. At this point you can turn your back on the mobs so they start taking DS damage. Note that this starts the clock - the PL'ee must get at least 1 point of damage on each mob to get EXP. Depending on the class this can sometimes take a while. So you might need a couple of pulls to know the best time to turn around so the mobs don't die prematurely. Also depends on how high a DS you have access to.
  7. When down to the last mob you may want to snare them - some of the mobs in the Grounds run on low health. This is just annoying, as they usually don't come back.
Tip#1) PL'ing a class with a PBAoE damage spell is pretty easy. But if you start at low level (15+) you will get a lot of resists, and casting the spell repeatedly takes too much time and risks aggro. I highly recommend picking up The Golden Pick via the quest in Blightfire and using Hitall.mac.
Tip#2) Set up two hotkeys on the SK. One to move the PL'ee to your current location and run 'hitall.mac' (or cast AoE spell), and the other to end the macro and return to camp location. Prevents needing to really bring the mobs into the camp at all, and you should never need to switch away from the SK.
Tip#3) Take your time. Face the mobs with FB eyes and you should be able to go AFK. Don't bring them into camp prematurely - deaths slow you down more than a few seconds spent ensuring the mobs are all close enough to get hit with your aggro spells.

At 85, and also with an SK and any support team, I recommend grouping with the SK and going to either the drachnids caves or yeti caves in Lceanium. Put SK on Hunter Tank and go. Can easily go to 106 there, though I usually push to 110 for the ToV armor (the PL'ee stays nekkid to this point).

You should never need to do Gribbles when PL'ing with a 115 SK. I have only done a couple of toons, but below is what I found to work best for me.

It may slow down a bit at 80 or so, but you can do The Grounds to level 85, at which point grouping with the SK will be your best bet. You can actually do The Grounds from 15 to 85 and skip the hatchery completely (I find the hatchery approach a bit slow).

For those that haven't done it before (and yes, there are other guides, but they all seem to gloss over a few details):
  1. Park ungrouped PL'ee in a safe spot. I prefer just outside the door to HoT as this area has no named with AoE's.
  2. Pop merc healer for the SK (you can't heal the SK with taps and even level 80 mobs can wear you down). Set SK as puller so merc stays put. Can maybe skip healer if using Wurmslayer, but risk riposte damage if you do.
  3. Equip zero damage items in primary and secondary. I use a fishing pole and a fire beetle eye or two FB eyes.
  4. Go out and round up some mobs. Grounds mobs have crazy aggro, so you don't need to do anything but run over them. Don't stop running - you want the mobs all behind you, and coming at you from roughly the same direction.
  5. When you have enough mobs (one side of the field is usually good, but start small), run back to camp but don't go all the way. Turn around and face the mobs. They will not be able to hit you and will not take DS damage. Let them bunch up as the AoE range isn't huge. Cast PBAoE hate spell (Revulsion, Contempt) once or twice to make sure you have all of the mobs attention. Do not reply on AA's like Explosion of Hatred as these hit a limited number of targets and you don't want to miss any. Take as much time as you like, it may seem hectic and something you need to do quickly, but if you are facing the mobs there is no risk of some dying from the DS before you are ready, as they shouldn't be able to touch you. Similarly there is no risk of your death even if no healing is incoming.
  6. Once you are sure you have the crowds undivided attention, move into camp. At this point you can turn your back on the mobs so they start taking DS damage. Note that this starts the clock - the PL'ee must get at least 1 point of damage on each mob to get EXP. Depending on the class this can sometimes take a while. So you might need a couple of pulls to know the best time to turn around so the mobs don't die prematurely. Also depends on how high a DS you have access to.
  7. When down to the last mob you may want to snare them - some of the mobs in the Grounds run on low health. This is just annoying, as they usually don't come back.
Tip#1) PL'ing a class with a PBAoE damage spell is pretty easy. But if you start at low level (15+) you will get a lot of resists, and casting the spell repeatedly takes too much time and risks aggro. I highly recommend picking up The Golden Pick via the quest in Blightfire and using Hitall.mac.
Tip#2) Set up two hotkeys on the SK. One to move the PL'ee to your current location and run 'hitall.mac' (or cast AoE spell), and the other to end the macro and return to camp location. Prevents needing to really bring the mobs into the camp at all, and you should never need to switch away from the SK.
Tip#3) Take your time. Face the mobs with FB eyes and you should be able to go AFK. Don't bring them into camp prematurely - deaths slow you down more than a few seconds spent ensuring the mobs are all close enough to get hit with your aggro spells.

At 85, and also with an SK and any support team, I recommend grouping with the SK and going to either the drachnids caves or yeti caves in Lceanium. Put SK on Hunter Tank and go. Can easily go to 106 there, though I usually push to 110 for the ToV armor (the PL'ee stays nekkid to this point).
thanks for the guide! ill be using that from now on :D

First thank you for the thread, I just asked a similar question in the hatchery.mac thread. Some food for thought though, if you're getting mobsin the hatchery in the mid 90s (93 on my 110sk) then your Sk zoned in first. I have successfully waited and ran hatchery to 80 so my toons can group with my 110s. I'm not suggesting anyone does this though as it's very slow, I just didn't have a better idea at the time.

@vandersl thank you for the writeup, I'm gonna try your method if I take up leveling any more alts!

My red cents are out for the day but I owe you both tomorrow!

I use to power level new toons using Gribble mainly because I could keep toons I am leveling up in PoK/guildhall where buffs don't wear out, get the mission done, campfire my new toons into the mission and complete it and return those toons back to PoK/guildhall so they are always gaining exp. with Lesson of the Devoted buff up.

If your toons are in pok except for the hail at the end of a gribble mission they won't get crap for exp. Need to be in the mission, at least in the entrance to the zone.

If your toons are in pok except for the hail at the end of a gribble mission they won't get crap for exp. Need to be in the mission, at least in the entrance to the zone.

Just keep them in PoK, when ready to hail, campfire them over and get them back to PoK/guildhall asap. Also, it's been a while, but I did those missions using 3 toons and 3 mercs, I forget but think I got the mission down to the hail, got rid of mercs and invite toons I am leveling up, campfire them over and then hail.

Question - is it possible to PL via gribble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back