• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Is EQ a true 'Sense of Accomplishment' game for you? (1 Viewer)

I like EQ, but I don't find it particularly hard.
The hardest part for me and my crew is figuring out how to do a 54man raid with puzzles, different mechanics, between 3 peoples without going absolutely insane.
One of the weird/hard thing we did in recent year would be Sanctum Somnium's Element of Dream at level (https://www.raspersrealm.com/Everquest/HoT/raidSanctum.html). A lot going on, but just 3 pair of eyes to solve it.

The hardest part about EQ is learning how to play EQ. Other than that, the game can be punishing but it's not like you can't leave a zone and go somewhere else if something is too difficult. I do feel that there is measurable sense of accomplishment in EQ though with how there's different tiers of gear, quests, and zones.

EQ is dead easy from a "player skill difficulty" point of view. You don't need to be a Korean Starcraft 300 APM player to git gud at EQ. Proper UI and keybinding setup can reduce the complexity of EQ's "tons of buttons to push" dilemma down to about a half dozen button presses for most classes. EQ is a PITA because of how much time it requires to get anything done and because you are forced to be reliant on having other people to play with. I'd guess that most of the current playerbase is so insular that they will never go outside of their already established guild and/or circle of friends and group with PUGs or randoms they don't know. So the difficulty is in finding people to play with. It's definitely not a game that you can just jump into and immediately find a group to have fun with. So I get it that people find it entirely frustrating to make progress. And if you are trying to progress solo, good effin luck.

I do lay that blame at the feet of the current development staff. They've had over a decade to change that paradigm and they've done nothing. This is the reason I would never recommend anyone start EQ from scratch. "The Vision" (tm) that EQ would be some grand social experience with an abundance of opportunities to interact with other players only works when there is a robust population of active players at all level ranges.

IMO, EQ is one of the lowest skill cap MMOs you can play. If someone thinks that EQ is "hard," they're probably not much of a gamer to begin with.

Last edited:
I find EQ1 has a "hilly" learning curve. It's hard to get started on a brand new account with 0 plat, especially on a freshly launched TLP server. You're thrown in an initially unintuitive UI, lots of windows overlapping other windows/etc, and a deeply complex game. Then once you have the patience to overcome that then it becomes what I consider an easy to learn hard to master sort of game.

I'll pick some examples of easy to learn vs hard to master, from a TLP classic/kunark/velious/PoP under level 55 perspective:

Enchanter class is a great example. Easy to learn - oh, I just have to charm a pet, pass out crack(clarity/KEI/etc), and can go afk in a group?

Hard to master: Same enchanter realizing that class has so much more potential.... For instance under level 55 with spell haste - Whirl Till You Hurl can perma stun one enemy, keep another enemy mezed, keep third enemy charmed, realizes charm is a lot more useful with a tash, realizes tash helps the druid/SK's snare land on red con mobs, and now they're a force multiplier allowing the group to take on red cons and get 7.5% xp per kill instead of the 1-2% kill they were getting from whites/yellows, everyone gets 10 levels for the session and is celebrating.
Now think of the easy enchanter just spamming charm to get control of their mob, vs the one that tash + stun + then charms. Huge world of difference. :)

Then speaking of charm kiting, there's the skill level of breaking charm and having to nuke 3-4 mobs down, to timing it just right where both mobs have 1 hp left and your first level aoe nuke takes both out - being much more mana efficient. :)

Same can be said for Clerics, etc. Oh just spam heals? Vs a cleric breaking out the stuns, etc. Same with druids and adding on damage shields + ac debuffs + nukes, etc.

I'd say it goes for just about every class, even bards.

decided to put my 2 cents in. I do not believe the game conveys a sense of accomplishment anymore. This game is insanely easy to play compared to when it was first released. All the veterans will remember nekked corpse runs, 3 ring binders filled with maps, etc etc etc. And none of this Gina or Mumble nonsense for raids.. you actually had to know the raid, and be paying attention, not raiding on one computer while watching a movie on another.

I agree with Rob there is a sense of pride when you get the gear. Hell, I recently transferred to FV so I could finally get my hands on raid gear to be at the top of the 'end game'.

As almost everyone has pointed out, the hardest part of EQ these days is finding someone to hang with. But since I am writing this message on a forum for boxers, I think this is less of an issue here. ;) ;) ;)

Kat

Sanctum Somnium's Element of Dream
Stupidly hard to box......congrats.

Just about every expansion there is always some raid that has stupid mechanics that make boxing a nightmare.

For my 2 cents worth though there is still a HUGE sense of accomplishment in solo raiding.

If you were ever in a raiding guild that tried bosses over and over and finally won and everyone just goes NUTS!!!! That is the same feeling you got from raidboxing - and achieving a win for the first time.

If your not jumping up and down when the Chest finally spawns then why bother.

I think it used to be. Now there's just too much information, the content is watered down. Raids are beaten the day they're released...it's just a race of who goes through the motions first. It's hard to "achieve" in an environment when anyone who participates is a winner. Learning curves, failure, rejection are all parts of achievement and they're pretty minimal in EQ anymore and it's been that way for a long time.

TBF, though, if they made EQ actually challenging, they'd lose subscriptions and the forums would be full of whine threads. Just look at what happened in TBL when it released and mobs were buffed more than usual for a new expansion.

And old EQ wasn't difficult either. Perhaps even easier because it was a much simpler setup compared to now. Playing a melee amounted to "stand behind the mob and push auto attack". Casters would cast 1 or 2 spells and then sit to med the rest of the fight. Raids were basic variations of tank-n-spank a big bag of hit points. Corpse runs weren't hard, they were simply an inconvenience meant to penalize you for doing something stupid. Old EQ was just a giant time sink, not an actual challenge.

Discussion - Is EQ a true 'Sense of Accomplishment' game for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back