• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - In a group setting, between MNK and BRD, which one contributes more to DPS? (1 Viewer)

staring6

RedCents
117¢
Pronouns
He/Him
I've got a 6-box team with SHD, ENC, BST, DRU, SHM, and MNK. I'm thinking about swapping out MNK for BRD, but I'm not sure if shifting from a damage-dealer to a utility role will decrease our group DPS. In any thread, MNK has a bad reputation, but it's still a DPS class. Which should I choose, fists or songs?
Just so you know, I suck at crowd control (Mez, Slow), so I'm definitely keeping ENC in the mix.

Sounds like you need a nice mage in the mix~ however, mnk will be more self DPS, but bard will do decent DPS and add ADPS, so "I" think bard is worth it.
Thanks reply, durango773.

By the way, is it true that bards can do decent DPS? In my narrow-minded thinking, I believed that BRDs are specialized in support and not very useful for DPS. MNK performs better in terms of self DPS compared to BRD, but the difference between them is not significant??In that case, considering the group's ADPS, it seems like there's even less reason to use MNK.

You really don't have a lot of pure DPS in that group.

Double priest is already a challenge. Doubling on crowd control would be another mistake.

I'm not really sure if the bard or the monk would be stronger in those circumstances. You might have to try it out and see for yourself.

I've got a 6-box team with SHD, ENC, BST, DRU, SHM, and MNK. I'm thinking about swapping out MNK for BRD, but I'm not sure if shifting from a damage-dealer to a utility role will decrease our group DPS. In any thread, MNK has a bad reputation, but it's still a DPS class. Which should I choose, fists or songs?
Just so you know, I suck at crowd control (Mez, Slow), so I'm definitely keeping ENC in the mix.
U need a ranja in that group...no need for bard and enchanter on same group, even a shaman with bst...

Monk is a monster in dps, I wouldn’t swap out your Monk for a Bard as you already have a lot of ADPS from the ENC that won’t overlap

There are some people who double priests and crowd control if you are in content slightly higher than your level/gear/skill allow. I was in this situation recently and just couldn't dps enough before my group ran out of mana. You have plenty of "givers" in current lineup. Monk, rog, zerk would do well.

bard shadow knight and shaman, these 3 compliment each other super well, the rest can just sit back and twiddle their thumbs, the 3 mofos will handle all group content no problem

You really don't have a lot of pure DPS in that group.

Double priest is already a challenge. Doubling on crowd control would be another mistake.

I'm not really sure if the bard or the monk would be stronger in those circumstances. You might have to try it out and see for yourself.

I understand that your group is not performing well, and consider making changes to group composition.
It's surprising to hear that MNK is no longer considered a pure DPS class and that BRD's self DPS has increased. My perception of these classes hasn't been updated for many years, and my experience is limited to levels below 100. At higher levels, MNK's DPS has become significantly lower, and BRD's self DPS is comparable? In that case, switching from my driving MNK to BRD and building a group around BRD might be a viable strategy to consider.

I can only tell you what works for me. I can honestly say Durango you are one of the people I've learned from the most here. My Necros are great in group. But I have to leave open for the possibility as always I'm screwing something up.

Tank, bard, enc, cleric…the best team foundation evah

At 120 the bard is capable of significant DPS all by themselves but you throw in ADPS and utility like travel song and they are amazing. I use KissAssist and have the bard set to do AE Mez song on 2 or more mobs. I don't even bother mezzing with the enchanter. My problem is that stuff dies so quickly the bard rarely gets to play his full melody. The melody I use is nuke, all 4 major dots, nuke again, then Ecliptic Psalm, then 4 more ADPS songs.

I have a bard I used to duo with my beastlord and it was great I started a group shm, bst, sk, rog, been, bard and when he would come out and sing like 5 songs the damage was immensely boosted. The attack speed, extra spell, crit rate, and regen were extremely noticeable. Love my bard hes got alot of utility.

I suck at crowd control (Mez, Slow), so I'm definitely keeping ENC in the mix.
Spend time on your character automation. It should be able to mez adds for you.

You can have the best characters/class, but if they are just standing around with their thumbs up the bums ....

Assuming you are playing on live and we are talking about the level 110+ game:

Then given the choice between a bard and a monk for your specific group I'd likely go bard. Once you get used to moving around at bard speed its hard to go back to "normal". The bard epic, mana songs, ADPS are likely to enhance the rest of your groups DPS far more than you'd get from the monk.

The bigger issue is with your group class synergies.

SHD - Good group tank. epic + life tap are nice.
ENC - ADPS + CC + some DPS
DRU - ADPS + some healing + good DPS - very hard to balance well.

This core group says you want to play a caster heavy group. The Enc + Druid give your casters super charged damage. Normally you'd expect to see mages, necros , or the poor (nerfed to hell) wizards in the group.

Instead you have

SHM - Decent single target healing, great AE heals, good dots, excellent melee ADPS
BST - Shares many of the spells
MNK - Pure melee DPS. Should swap to rogue for more DPS

Here you have a melee setup, which again isn't optimized for DPS, because you really need a bards epic to maximize the damage output.

Personally I'd try swapping the monk for a mage.
- Mage is one of the highest DPS classes right now.
- Mage gives extra mana to your BST and DRU

I'd more likely swap out both the DRU and the MNK for a MAGE + BARD giving you:

SK + SHM + BRD + MAG + BST + ENC

Super heavy pet focus. If your melee die your pets can carry the fight.

Last edited:
With your current group comp, I'd have to say a mage would be nice, Enc/Bard/Dru/BST are 4 ADPS contributors.

If you work on your INIs or use the plugins, the shaman and sk should be able to sustain the healing.

Enc can be alright dps, but does offer good Adps for casters which the mag/dru/bst/sk benefit
Bard can use aria for the spell and melee damage boost which is great for the mage and druid
Druids I'm not as familiar with but I've seen parses where it looks like they aren't slouches and offer a 10% dmg buff to fire spells? huge for the mage
BST offers the paragons to help keep everyone running in a caster heavy group

I think with some time spent optimizing them you'll be surprised how well it will do.

Bards are a very strong class and in raids every group want one. They add a ton adps to your group and their dots got a big upgrade. Their dots lowering resistance and their synergy effect is really nice too.
Since my bard is my main in a raiding guild, i dont use any bard specific plugins.

Question - In a group setting, between MNK and BRD, which one contributes more to DPS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back