• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - imgui vs overlay vs hud? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
2,855¢
Hello all,

What is imGui? What is the mq overlay? How does this relate to Lua windows? What non-Lua windows use imGui/Overlay?

When dragging a Lua window, I see icons appear at the 4 sides of the screen, that if I drop the Lua window on these, it docks the window to that side of the screen. When docked, the windows are no longer minimizable like they are when undocked, and cover a significant portion of the screen, making the docking feature less desirable. What is this feature called, I need to read up on it, and how it works... so I can better manage my windows.

I don't see anything when I use the "/popup Hi there" command. But I do see arrows and paths when I use MQNav.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello all,

What is imGui? What is the mq overlay? How does this relate to Lua windows? What non-Lua windows use imGui/Overlay?

When dragging a Lua window, I see icons appear at the 4 sides of the screen, that if I drop the Lua window on these, it docks the window to that side of the screen. When docked, the windows are no longer minimizable like they are when undocked, and cover a significant portion of the screen, making the docking feature less desirable. What is this feature called, I need to read up on it, and how it works... so I can better manage my windows.

I don't see anything when I use the "/popup Hi there" command. But I do see arrows and paths when I use MQNav.

Thanks.
I have seen the same on Win 11 for quite some time now and do not see a way to turn it off. It totally seems to mess up the Lua windows locations though.

I tried disabling win 11 snap control and that had zero effect.

Hello all,

Thanks.
> imgui <

imgui said:
Dear ImGui is a bloat-free graphical user interface library for C++. It outputs optimized vertex buffers that you can render anytime in your 3D-pipeline-enabled application. It is fast, portable, renderer agnostic, and self-contained (no external dependencies).

simple terms: mq2lua was made so it can use the imgui library to easily create UI

/popup hi there has absolutely nothing to do with imgui

Hello all,

Thanks.
The thing you're asking about is a feature of imgui called docking. hold shift while moving windows to disable docking.

imgui is the name of the ui system. overlay is the tech we implemented in mq to display these windows ontop of the game.
the overlay hooks into the game's rendering engine.
mq2nav also hooks into the game's rendering engine to display in-game pathing. this is not overlay or imgui.
Lua is just a programming language. it is able to integrate with imgui.
Lua is not an acroynm, it shouldn't be written in all caps.

hud is just an old feature of mq where you could write text to the screen. there is nothing else exciting about it.

just as an example, the console (Ctrl+`) and everything in it is not Lua.

Edit: Self corrected some errors on my part

So let me try to summarize and correct me as needed:
  • imGui, and the docking features, is part of vanilla MQ2 and also used by MQ2Lua.
  • Vanilla MQ has its own overlay that hooks into the EQ rendering engine, separate from imGui.
  • HUD is part of MQ2HUD, which is a plugin included with vanilla MQ.
The /popup command not working for me, how can I troubleshoot that?

I like collapsing imGui windows, to minimalize the real estate they consume on screen. When I dock multiple imGui windows together, the icon changes, and I can no longer open/collapse the window. Am I missing something?

Cool animated gif demo of docking:
46304087-00035580-c5ae-11e8-8904-f27a9434574a.gif

Last edited:
I believe popup is meant to highjack the ingame popups to display stuff you want to display.

For example in modern events a popup will occur that will inform you that some event NPC is now focused on a specific player. These popups are typically in green iirc. Popup is meant to use that feature of EQ which is not normally available to the player to allow the player to do their own fancy popups with custom duration and colors. Typically this is used to pass information from a utility that is currently running to announce things outside of the console.

Question - imgui vs overlay vs hud?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back