• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - I hate raiding... (1 Viewer)

RedCents
3,382¢
I am so jealous of raiders. I used to raid for years and it literally felt like a second job so I ended up taking 2 years off EQ. Last night I decided to take a break from the 6 box routine and went LFG with my now underused cleric, yes he lost his spot in the group to my shm. I got invited to a shadow valley (something like that) in ToL. The caveat was that there was no tank class and no pet tanking. I was skeptical but I said sure. I get there and the group was 2 rangers, 2 zerkers and a druid. I ask who will be tanking and the guy that invited me said he was. I ask how many hp he has so I can plan out my heals and he says 550k I am like damn. My pally only has 350k yes I know he is low for 116, but I don't even have any CoV gear on him yet, still struggling with ToV. Long story short, the ranger tanks the stuff for a couple of hours with 0 deaths. There were a couple of close calls, but I was overall impressed. Now I need to see what a raid tank would be like. Oh and I started out with enc crack and never dropped below 75% mana. When crack dropped i never went below 65%. When the druid and 2nd ranger left we pulled out a 120 tank merc and that thing was 50% worse than the ranger.

I completely understand what you mean. I did a fair share of raiding in EQ and EQ2. The big differences I enjoyed between them was, in EQ2 we could raid for two hours three nights a week, and be a top 5 contender. Well, we all know in EQ to be a contender, you raid three nights a week for five or six hours it seems. Or on TLPs you raid almost every night lol.

I do miss raiding, but I know I've got no time for it right now. But, the itch is still there.

Also, the last time I went out with one character, I about gouged my eyes out. Was a two hour group, I lost more exp than gained.

You can always take breaks, or go on test and raid at your leisure. Or join a casual guild that raids once or twice a week. I'm unsure if EQ offers that type of casual guilds anymore. I definitely know EQ2 doesn't the last time I checked lol.

So not true. 3 nights a week 3 hours a night except 1 is 3 1/2 hours.
Yeah, raiding modern EQ is not the 2nd job that it's been in the past. Some guilds raid 1 night per week and clear all the raids for the entire expansion in 1 go. Others take 2 or 3 nights for only a few hours and put everything on lockout. I mean, if you can find a guild whose schedule lines up with yours, it's not a large time commitment. Maybe 6-10 hours per week at the most, which is not much if gaming is your hobby that you'd be doing anyways. It does take focus, practice and a willingness to adopt a different playstyle at times compared to what you might be used to doing in an average xp group. And you're probably going to have someone "telling" you what to do or otherwise trying to coordinate 54 people to function as a team.

Yeah, raiding modern EQ is not the 2nd job that it's been in the past. Some guilds raid 1 night per week and clear all the raids for the entire expansion in 1 go. Others take 2 or 3 nights for only a few hours and put everything on lockout. I mean, if you can find a guild whose schedule lines up with yours, it's not a large time commitment. Maybe 6-10 hours per week at the most, which is not much if gaming is your hobby that you'd be doing anyways. It does take focus, practice and a willingness to adopt a different playstyle at times compared to what you might be used to doing in an average xp group. And you're probably going to have someone "telling" you what to do or otherwise trying to coordinate 54 people to function as a team.
Interesting to know, my schedule is changing each day, my son is 9 months, so watching him takes up a lot of time. Still working on that thing called "sleep" lol. I appreciate the heads up.

I'm not a consistent raider. I have always had trouble keeping engaged and happy whilst raiding. Wife is a clinician and works a rough schedule. Have a demanding kiddo that loves to read books to me and we play Roblox together.

I do enjoy seeing the content a few times...these raids are complex and cool but otherwise the trick is to play on FV and buy ur gear. :D

200.gif

The biggest struggle with EQ raids is putting up with the cringy AF talkers in discord (usually 95% of a guild) - this is why I box :shrug:

The biggest struggle with EQ raids is putting up with the cringy AF talkers in discord (usually 95% of a guild) - this is why I box :shrug:
eh, I just mute people that I don't want to hear from. My guild, though, has pretty good mic discipline so not a lot of useless chatter happens and if someone does start to go off the reservation, the raid leader and officers are quick to handle it.

I completely understand what you mean. I did a fair share of raiding in EQ and EQ2. The big differences I enjoyed between them was, in EQ2 we could raid for two hours three nights a week, and be a top 5 contender. Well, we all know in EQ to be a contender, you raid three nights a week for five or six hours it seems. Or on TLPs you raid almost every night lol.

I do miss raiding, but I know I've got no time for it right now. But, the itch is still there.

Also, the last time I went out with one character, I about gouged my eyes out. Was a two hour group, I lost more exp than gained.

You can always take breaks, or go on test and raid at your leisure. Or join a casual guild that raids once or twice a week. I'm unsure if EQ offers that type of casual guilds anymore. I definitely know EQ2 doesn't the last time I checked lol.
yeah i used to do the whole raid 15--20hrs a week thing too, only i was leading them 90% of my career and maintanked them at least 50% to boot...dont have the ability for that kinda regular schedule myself anymore, but my personal raiding history and ...pet peeves i guess...theres no way i could tolerate the casual raiding thing. the few times ive tried it and/or PURaids over the years i've wanted to shoot too many people. I have very little tolerance for ppl that: Dont care, Don't try to get better if they suck(xp, gear, or knowledgewise), think they're 10x better or more important than they are, don't listen, afk constantly, or are just pure idiots lol. That goes for irl too of course, and groups- thus i dont play with but a select few others- but in a raid those qualities::coughlackthereofcough:: are exponentially worse. There are qualities about casual raiders and puraiders that are awesome of course, though not a rule, many are excited to do it and dont turn their noses up at this or that etc, but the lack of skill, character quality, and often attentionspan are frequently more pronounced, and unless it's regular raiders leading, tanking, and at least partially dpsing and healing it because theyre done with that content, the potential for wholly wasted time is a lot higher. I prefer to waste my time in a stressfree way rather than one that makes me homicidal lol.

Most people probably have a more normal raiding experience in the past, and higher tolerance for other ppl lol, so im sure such things are more tolerable :) I do often yearn for raiding, but as a tank class who hasnt been done with current group content since...well, the last time i raided at lvl 100, getting into raiding again just seems more disappointing until the gear comes in and/or i magically dont lose interest again before i finish my AAs lol. DPS and support classes are a lot more useful than tanks without raidgear and nearmax aas lol. Maybe the way i started raiding in teh first place makes is seem more daunting as well: back then gear was still relevant to topgearing from raids up to 5 or more expansions back (CoA, Solteris etc for example still relevant in SoF and even parts of SoD, and once i got momentum going I never missed an expansion raiding. Now, unless you can farm/buy the newest chaseloot and just be short on visibles, theres no good way to be equipped to raid anything worth raiding...again, as a tank. Cultural augs i guess are the make/break point there, and they knew it so they nerfed the usability of them first(and they were never AS useful as long when brought back), then ditched them(again) apparently for good.

lol this sounds like a good ol' days lament, but my good ol' days were a LONG time after most people's. i didnt even discover the game 'til tss/tbs sometime(my first was and still is a Drakkin, sacrilege! lol)

Discussion - I hate raiding...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back