• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - How MQ2 has changed/improved the way I play EQ (1 Viewer)

RedCents
9,002¢
Recently I have been talking with a few people whom I know well on my server and they've told me that some people hold the view that I have made the game a worse place by spreading MQ2 or by openly saying that it's ok. Since the public fairly openly admonishes Mq2 it's a difficult argument to refute. In fact, I find all of my answers unsatisfactory because it's just me and my words. Sometimes you can't solve the problem with just one voice, sometimes you need multiple.

That's why I need all of you! I decided that the best way to handle this complaint was to create a thread where everyone talked about how using Mq2 improved their EQ experience. Or, talk about how you wouldn't still be playing EQ if you weren't using MQ2. Tell a short story about it, a testimonial, the reason you started using MQ2 or name some features that you could not absolutely play without... Bonus: talk about how MQ2 changed your life. I have talked to a few of you who this last year that have decided to code as a career thanks to Mq2... Seriously, those stories will be the best you could provide because they're heartwarming and they really say something about the program. If someone reads a story about how MQ2 helped you choose a career or inspired you to program they'll have a much harder time saying that it "only makes the game worse".

I have one more use for this thread; I would like to use a few of your testimonials on my website in my EQ Boxing Guides so that people who are curious about using MQ2 can read multiple opinions on it rather than just my own. Keep in mind too, Redbot may want to use some of these testimonials at some point for marketing or Eqmule as well. There's a lot different uses for this type of thread, so don't be shy!! Also, don't share anything you don't want public for this very reason too. There's a reason I chose level 1 for this thread - remember that!

I'll start:

I began using Mq2 about two years ago while I was playing on Lockjaw/Ragefire and the sole reason I downloaded the program (funny enough) was so that I could switch /pickzones on all my characters at the same time by using /pickzone #. After I started using it though, I began to find so many other features that I just can't play EQ without anymore... To name a few...

1) When I inspect a spell or an item it tells me everything i could ever want to know without having to alt tab for any information.
2) Mq2 Nav... Because running across zones stinks!!
3) Mq2 Easy find... Cause running across zones stinks!!!!!
4) Right click Inspect Add to advanced loot option.... Cause waiting for an item to drop to add it to your loot list stinks!
5) The macros, there's too much to say about them but they are (obviously) what make MQ2 Mq2.

There is so much more that I won't mention because I don't want to drag on my post forever. I get people who send me emails & donations saying that they started using MQ2 because of me and they love it. It completely changed the way they play the game and they can't imagine playing Everquest again without it. Sadly I can't share any of these testimonials here since they're either private correspondences or they came with a donation and have personal info with them. I'd really like to hear some positive stories in this thread though that I can share with the world.

4) Right click Inspect Add to advanced loot option.... Cause waiting for an item to drop to add it to your loot list stinks!

how does that work?

how does that work?

You right click an item to open its item details and click your never/always need/always greed setting.

I started using MQ2 a long time ago during GoD or Pop, I can't remember which. A buddy of mine was helping me camp a fungi tunic and randomly he was like, hey I gotta afk, if something spawns just tell my warrior to assist. So I did, and his warrior started attacking. Blew my mind.

I started using it heavily during the times of bard circle kiting, most notably in Vxed. I capped my mains AAs, and my bards AAs extremely quickly doing that. Used MQ2 all the way through depths until I quit playing. Came back around 2011 to EQ and of course, I can't play without MQ2 anymore :/

I wouldn't want to either. Patch days are the worst.

In the most general sense, MQ2 has improved my ability to play the game in a way which removed many of the micromanagement issues it had added over the years. While there has been improvement to the core game to assist in alleviating some of these things, a lot tedium's remain.

It quite simply makes logging in and accomplishing something possible, it makes the game viable.

People always ask for better mercs, or be able to manage mercs more on the live forums 'because they suck' ... this is MQ2 does with your own chars... and much more.

vivviv As long as the item isn't no drop you can typically go into /buyer in the bazaar and search the item, which can get you access to the link if nobody else happens to have a link.

But still you would first have to have that item or someone link it to you right?

So long as you have the item linked to you or you can click on the link of the item you can add it to your loot list. Here is an example, I have the Adv loot options circled in blue:

H4qmS6E.png

Super helpful for crap like Scuffed Journeyman's Rucksacks, Mercenary Crates and other items that are like .5% chance to drop off named enemies. You can just search the Bazaar for the item name and add it to your loot list that way... Or as ChatWithThisName suggested you can also use /buyer to get a link for the item (although you will need to be GOLD on your account to use /buyer).

Also ChatWithThisName If you could post your story about Mq2 and it being a big influence on you deciding to go to school for coding ... you're one of the people I was most hoping for to post something when I made this thread. Pretty pretty please with sugar on top

It makes EQ playable if you have more than 1 toon... and it makes it enjoyable from 1 to 50 toons!

The most notable way MQ2 has changed my EQ experience is the mere fact I can log in, get my group going and do ANYTHING I want... I mean that in the sense that I can literally go through any progression quests, camp any mob, do any HA, farm TS items while still doing something else fun...

I played this game from 99-04 and quit because it lost it's luster for me. I came back around 2012 or so, and worked my way up from 2 boxing to 5 boxing manually (UGH) for a good 4 years. I could never get 1/10th of what I wanted to get done and I never really saw the potential of the group game. I have good friends that were always online and available but cmon we all have other shit to do and it's really rare to find friends to help you with some dumb HA from 2 xpacs ago or random hunters you want done... at the time YOU have the time to do it! Then I finally figured I'd find out how these other box crews were doing what I was trying to do 10x faster and easier.

Can still raid, enjoy group content and everything else about EQ, on my own timeline.

Get MQ2. Free yourself.

The best thing about MQ2 is it allows me to play on my time! Without MQ2 I would be forced to wait for a group of people to show up that also wanted to hunt where I wanted to go, hope they didn't already have a tank, than see if they could fit me in the group, and hoping they have the other needed classes. Now with MQ2 I have my own group, ready built, no waiting. I can decide to go anywhere at any time. This is especially important to me as often times I'm playing off hours when few people are around. I still like playing with groups of people but now I am not forced to waste the day wishing someone would show up.

A few big ones for me:

The ability to not be 100% dependent to get things done, I used to 6 box by hand ages ago and it was something that after doing a grind for 4-12 hours would leave me exhausted. I now live overseas where my primary play hours are opposite of the primary peak times, being able to get things accomplished beyond when my friends in the US are on allows me to fully enjoy the game.

It allows me to accomplish trivial tasks while I am sitting at my computer working on statistics etc (e.g. Foraging/fishing for Artisan's prize and tradeskill components for skillups). I used it for long enough over time as well, that before the combine all button was added, I could also do skillups without wearing out my wrist on tradeskills.

It also gives me another scripting language to play with when I do have free time from work.

Discussion - How MQ2 has changed/improved the way I play EQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back