• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - How many boxes can I run on this rig (1 Viewer)

RedCents
3,843¢
So I have been thinking about adding a second group to my play sessions. I currently run 6 accts with little issues, was curious if I could run 2 groups at the same time. My current set up is built on a intel i7 6850K 6core 3.6gHz / 32 GB ram / on a GTX 1080 GeForce card. Should this set up be able to handle 2 full groups at once? Also of note - I do run mq2eqwire which I would think would help lighten the load of adding more toons.

Tried looking up some tech parts here and there but they are kind of all over the place. I did not want to go making another 6 accounts if I won't be able to reliably run them.

Thanks

Easily. I run up to 14 (only because I don't have more as of yet) on my PC with an i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz with 16GB of ram and an RX580 graphics card.
Even my laptop runs 12 at a time fine, and it's i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz and 12GB of ram, with crappy onboard graphics.
I'm betting you could easily run 3 groups or more with that setup.

I’m not an expert but I’ve read a few things. Supposedly the GFX card doesn’t mean much for EQ. It’s processor and RAM driven. I’ve also read that a good rule of thumb is 1 account per gig of RAM is manageable with EQWire. My rig has a GeForce card that is 13 years old and a Celeron Dual Core processor. With 16 gigs I run my 6 with no problem, I’m too lazy to try more but I am sure it could handle a few.

ya 4 or more groups just not very efficient power wise. Newer CPUs will be more efficient and the CPU load will be lower using less power to run the same amount of groups.

appreciate everyone's feedback - I created 3 more FTP accounts tonight and ran all 9 smoothly. Was farming away for xp with my mid-sized group (60s level range) while creating 3 more accounts and then running the new toon mac on each. Will make some more accounts tomorrow - I read that too many in one night gets flagged, so I started slow. By this weekend I should have the second group set up and leveling.

at 6 core (12 HT) you could run 12 easily on that box. Look into CPU affinity it will help share the load. Check out a program called Process Lasso. It has a function called "Instance Balancer" in the CPU options that will spread out your cores equal to the number of instances of a program you have open.

You can create 5 FTP accounts on one email before they lock you out for a few days. I just went through this a week ago and then double checked it with another email. First 5 were smooth sailing, numbero sixo was no bueno!

appreciate everyone's feedback - I created 3 more FTP accounts tonight and ran all 9 smoothly. Was farming away for xp with my mid-sized group (60s level range) while creating 3 more accounts and then running the new toon mac on each. Will make some more accounts tomorrow - I read that too many in one night gets flagged, so I started slow. By this weekend I should have the second group set up and leveling.

:) I've found i make enough plat from the group killing stuff it pays for 3-4 kronos a month per group.

Also if you ever upgrade your CPU id go with ryzen 3950x or new 5950x i got 15 groups going on 3950x right now and its only at 55%.

Tech - How many boxes can I run on this rig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back