• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Honestly - Why Do You Think Daybreak Games is so Terrible? (1 Viewer)

dhew

RedCents
500¢
I don't know much about system admin., but I do know how to run a successful business. I own my own. It's not huge, but it gives me a lifestyle that my family and I enjoy.

I look at DBG, and I think to myself...how? why? I can't stomach when my employees treat people anything other than great. If something fails, it's fixed immediately. How does DBG get away with their terrible customer service? How do they still exist? I mean, I know they exist because people still pay, but it's more of a rhetorical question...

Daybreak didn't develop EQ, they bought it. They can barely keep servers functioning. They cannot develop anything from scratch as we've all seen with the huge EQN fail.

Is the function of Daybreak really that tough? Am I missing something?

Are you upset because of the DDOS? because really that is mostly out of their control.

Can't make a product? No they've made great products, just not things that you like. Planetside was a great game and Planetside2 is a great game H1Z1 is fun.

I've been a soe/dbg customer for 16 years and I've only ever had negative customer experiences twice, one was when I was using active hacks and the other was on the fippy progression server and really I understand that. I'm still a paying customer because I enjoy the game and I enjoy the community.

As far as EQN fail, they wanted to go big or go home, they wanted to transform the MMO market with amazing new features rather than just put out another POS mmo.

I have never had a problem with dealing with them. Seems like they way you ask is the way you get treated. Ask nice you get far better help than when you demand something

Not upset about the DDoS, kind of miffed about how they keep their customers in the dark and refuse to acknowledge whats going on.

You can Not argue with success. If it's stupid but works... It's not stupid. They are doing enough right for enough people to support their business model, it's as simple as that. I don't like many of the things they do, yet I still pay my money and play their game. As long as the enjoyment continues to exceed the frustration...

I think the diehard EverQuest fan-base has mostly done the legwork in keeping this franchise alive as long as it has. Neither Sony nor Daybreak have done anything innovative or particularly exciting in YEARS, it's just rehashing the progression model every 'x' number of years and rolling the level cap higher and higher.

If EverQuest wasn't as many peoples 'virgin' MMO experience and as unique of a game as it was from the beginning, it would have died a quick death with the lack of customer service and incomplete/broken/limited expansions it has been releasing as of late.

I feel you Dhew, it doesn't feel like this product gets the love it deserves considering it has such a passionate following.

I think the expansions are way to small compared to older expansions (especially for the price) and DBG has slimmed down the employee pool enough to feel like EQ is just coasting, while most of thier efforts go into other games. Those other games are fun I understand, but I stick with EQ and a few others for online gaming.

To me it's more or less like buying anything from Corp America anymore. A lot of places have a "buy it or not, but move along" sort of attitude. With a business model of squeezing your employees as well as customers for max profits while you can, I prefer shopping small and local.

EQ keeps me out of the bars and from killing my co-workers so, worth the expense =P

Last edited:
I think Daybreak has done more to improve EverQuest in the last year and a half then SOE has done in the last 10 years.

As much of a fan base as EQ holds it sucks no matter what the job they do. Due to the amount of users your probably always going to have 30-40% disagreeing with your decisions. Being nerf bat's, DDOS (Although not preventable completely), buggy expansions, poor class balancing etc. The good thing is we all play EQ for the same reason, we absolutely love the game as a whole. There isn't another game on any platform that has ever been able to grab my attention such as this one. EQ covers all bases for original MMO fans. It's something we love and trust and continue to support not only due to the game play but the interaction between players. It's a timeless game and I hope it never dies out.

Last edited:
Good points. We all seem to agree on one thing - EQ keeps us out of trouble. Whenever my wife asks why I play, Im like "well, I don't drink, I don't go to the bars or strip clubs with friends at night, I play this game. Its pretty cheap, even with all the toon buying/turn arounds, in comparison.

Have to agree with Maskoi. I tend to overlook the old content fixes DBG has been doing since I don't visit them often, but after he mentioned fixes, recall reading a lot of patch note fixes to stuff that really is not relevant to playing current content. And I imagine EQ is no easier programming project to begin with. Making adjustments to stuff that is working (even if not fully as intended)....ewwww. (Johnson, WTH did you do to the tradeskill bags! Ralph says he is blacksmithing in a sewing kit now!)

Along with some "quality of life" changes over time.

Course I am sure everyone whose paid the slightest attention at work will realize there is ALWAYS more going on "behind the scene" then is apparent to the customer. I am some days amazed that the name on the front door isn't changed to "Keystone Cops Subsidiary" with the amount of seemingly boneheaded things that happen... until I got more involved with trying to help straighten things out and realize 90% of the problems come from either lack of communication, or lack of understanding. You don't end-run the people you put in charge and expect things to run smoothly... and you don't make decisions about things with out learning all you can first. And yet, talking to friends...seems everywhere folks think "you don't need to know how X works to be the boss" Things eventually work out for the most part, sometime seemingly through divine intervention, but mostly because the competent folks quietly do what needs doing and move on.

Aaaand I am writing a novel again... sorry.

In my experience, you've hit it spot on War, lack of communication seems to be the majority of company downfalls. I run a business of approx 50 employees and this is usually the root.

In my experience, you've hit it spot on War, lack of communication seems to be the majority of company downfalls. I run a business of approx 50 employees and this is usually the root.

So spot on Nyghteyes. I'm in a role of responsibility in a company just shy of 50 employees and the number 1 issue I see every day is communication failure. Whether internal or to the customer.

At one time I managed a department of almost 100 employees from several countries around the world. Communication and understanding was more then just critical. Put the wrong mix of people from the wrong countries in the same truck (team) and not everyone was coming back. I actually made the decision to go back to playing with the tools instead of managing those that do. Life is sooo much simpler now. Though admittedly it is hard sometimes to watch the manager make a bad decisions knowing that I have to go along with it, but that's part of the deal when you let someone else have all the responsibility/headache.

I agree they are terrible, after going through ragefire seeing all the mistakes they made and now they continue to make them. Biggest one is the dupe, when they said it didnt exist and let it go on for a week, or forcing a raid rotation on all of ragefire, and the first time someone breaks it, they couldnt even uphold a guild suspension on the guild, leading to the dissolution of the rotation.. i mean they couldnt enforce their own imposed rotation - after they forced the guilds to create the rotation, agree to it, instead of DBG doing all the work.

..releasing velious early on phinigel and claiming couldnt fix it 2 hours after the incident, no picks for ntov.. creating a new quarm server when they still have broken things to fix on phinigel /facepalm

Discussion - Honestly - Why Do You Think Daybreak Games is so Terrible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back