• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Hi, this might be an odd request... (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,602¢
I've been lurking for a decently long time then I created an account here a year or so ago but never did anything with it. Nice to meet you all and finally say hi. I type too much so my apologies in advance for the wall o text.

I discovered this community when I decided to get back into EQ after something like a 10 year or so sabbatical. I played on Torvonnilous way back when, that server eventually became CT where I play now. I deleted all my characters on my main account and started fresh since the game was so different than it used to be. That one silver account quickly became one silver and 3 F2P with two more F2P accounts likely on the way. I am currently an alt tabber. I have set up some basic 5 line macros that I can alt tab to and fire off to keep things moving. Its awkward and clumsy at times but as long as i keep it to just 2-3 characters at once, its manageable... most of the time. I have various combinations of characters and their mercs that I run and its generally a good time.

I have two machines I play on. One is an older Mac Mini boot camped with Win10 hooked up to my TV and I flip back and forth between MacOS and Win10. It handles multiple instances of EQ surprisingly well but the room is in a man cave kinda configuration and I am 40 so my eyesight isn't what it used to be. Within 45 min I usually have a headache from squinting trying to see the buttons from the couch. The other machine I play on is my work laptop and I prefer playing EQ on it. This laptop is pretty nice and has way more horsepower than the Mac Mini BUT as you guys who work in IT are probably aware, playing games on company equipment is generally frowned upon... if caught.

This brings me to my question. I've searched these forums for the answer and maybe its tucked away somewhere that I can't see at my level so I apologize if this has been asked before. With EQ on its own, I can copy the entire install directory from Win10 on my Mac to a USB drive which I can then use to drop the EQ directory into C:\temp on my work laptop for the evening. Once I am done playing, I copy the directory back to the usb drive to update any changes made to hotbuttons or spell bars, clean up C:\temp and the couple remnants it will leave in the registry, and the guys at work never see it. EQ doesn't need admin to run this way. Could I do a similar thing with the launcher and MQ2? Can I install MQ2 on my personal machine, then copy the directories expecting it to work?

Sort of a weird one I know... thanks for taking the time to consider it.

For the launcher i would not do this, however for the mq2 folder there shouldn't be a problem except one

If you utilize autologin profiles they are encrypted to the machine they was created on, so if you transfer the mq2 folder from your gaming pc to the laptop autologin won't autoload your profiles as they are not valid.

But, there is the possibility to export and import the profiles, so if you export from the gaming pc, put the exported file on the usb, and when you copy everything over and run mq2 you can use the profile import, and then it should be golden.

But if you dont use autologin profiles, then you can copy and move mq2 as much as you want back and forth.

Based upon my understanding from the how to videos available... the launcher is the piece that keeps everything fresh and updated right? So if i run the launcher on my machine THEN copy the MQ2 directory onto my USB to put it on the laptop, you are saying it should work as long as i don't want to use the autologin feature? If so, this sounds very promising! Thanks for the quick reply!

on my second machine i actually have EQ and VV/MQ on a external drive. USB3, super fast. no issues running 3 accounts on it seamlessly. You can place the Icons (links to the files) in a folder on your desktop you set the icons to hidden, then when your wantin to play you set folder to show hidden, and not show hidden when your not playing.

Most IT wont go diggin that deep unless they have a reason, and for a half dozen icons, its not worth it

btw using the external HD, you wont copy anything, u install it straight to that drive, and patch it straight onto that drive. only thing not on that drive is the Icons. best part is you unplug it and theres nothing to find.

You could maybe make a batch file called playeq.bat to copy everything to the right places. Then another one called removeeq.bat which could remove everything. It would take time to perfect it but then you do the whole thing in the future with one click. You can do registry tweaks and stuff that way too. Does it have USB 3? If so an option could be to install the game onto a SSD, and then get a SSD->USB adapter and just play it off your own drive. Not sure how that would be but it might be a tidy option.

What size is your TV? Maybe you could upgrade that to a huge 1080p for a decent price?

I will most likely tinker with this over the weekend to see what's possible. Sounds like it should mostly work the way I am hoping it will. I was binge watching several videos on Sic and RedGuide's channels last night and I created F2P accounts 5 and 6. I'm mostly ready to go I think. I don't know if i am more excited to dial in all the tools to do what i want in game or just to be able to play EQ at full group strength.

@microscope My TV is a 50 inch but i am sitting about 10 feet from it and I am getting old. /chatfontsize is great for the chat but the text on the UI is so small that I have to squint to see it. I got a couple new UIs from EQInterface (new to me at least lol), maybe one of them will help. I am working from home today, its been a brutal week at work, and its friday so I'll be giving the UI on my TV another go shortly. My work laptop has USB3 ports and I have a 64GB USB3 flash drive that I bought specifically for EQ. I was playing directly off of that for a while but it disconnects randomly... i've noticed specifically after I mess around with bags, rearranging the UI, and the like. It gets REAL hot too so i am not sure if its a thermal thing or if its a power management setting, perhaps one of the files needed for the UI is set to read only or something. I've tried to dig into it but to change the setting I wanted to change requires admin on the box. I ended up just copying the drive to C:\temp and copying it back when i am done. EQ is only ~12GB and with everything USB3, it doesn't take long. Writing something to take care of all of the copying and cleanup for me is a great idea. I'll play with some powershell in my spare time, it shouldn't be too difficult a task. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions. From what i've seen during my lurking over the past couple years, this is a pretty fantastic community and I'm glad i finally created an account to participate.

I will most likely tinker with this over the weekend to see what's possible. Sounds like it should mostly work the way I am hoping it will. I was binge watching several videos on Sic and RedGuide's channels last night and I created F2P accounts 5 and 6. I'm mostly ready to go I think. I don't know if i am more excited to dial in all the tools to do what i want in game or just to be able to play EQ at full group strength.

@microscope My TV is a 50 inch but i am sitting about 10 feet from it and I am getting old. /chatfontsize is great for the chat but the text on the UI is so small that I have to squint to see it. I got a couple new UIs from EQInterface (new to me at least lol), maybe one of them will help. I am working from home today, its been a brutal week at work, and its friday so I'll be giving the UI on my TV another go shortly. My work laptop has USB3 ports and I have a 64GB USB3 flash drive that I bought specifically for EQ. I was playing directly off of that for a while but it disconnects randomly... i've noticed specifically after I mess around with bags, rearranging the UI, and the like. It gets REAL hot too so i am not sure if its a thermal thing or if its a power management setting, perhaps one of the files needed for the UI is set to read only or something. I've tried to dig into it but to change the setting I wanted to change requires admin on the box. I ended up just copying the drive to C:\temp and copying it back when i am done. EQ is only ~12GB and with everything USB3, it doesn't take long. Writing something to take care of all of the copying and cleanup for me is a great idea. I'll play with some powershell in my spare time, it shouldn't be too difficult a task. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions. From what i've seen during my lurking over the past couple years, this is a pretty fantastic community and I'm glad i finally created an account to participate.
No probs. I would recommend returning that flash drive if you can, apparently some run a lot hotter/cooler than others. The SSD I use like a flash drive barely gets lukewarm, it is really good. Not as tidy as a flash drive though but it can go in my pocket.

Ever thought about renting a cloud-gaming-pc and run EQ there, streaming to either of your machines at your will?
A sufficient gaming-pc is available at around 16€ per month. (Windows 10 Home, nVidia GPU, 8 core Xeon CPU, 12 GB Ram, 250 GB HD ... conected to the Internet with 1000 MBit)
You just need the streaming client on the devices, you want to connect with.

No big Invest to get started, and no game has to be run/installed on your companies hardware.

Have started with one of them some days ago, as for now mostly used, to run overseer connecting with my tablet at any time of the day ;)
IS-Boxer, RGLauncher and EQ run smooth and lagfree, til today just ran 1 accout at a time.

be careful with the streaming cloud pc's they are against the eula and what not of EQ as they are considered to be virtual machines and those are instant ban.

A big thanks to everyone who got me this far! I got it set up on a pretty basic level and tested it out with two low level characters and their mercs. I think I'll stick to smaller groups like i've been doing with alt tab boxing just until i get the hang of INI setups and such. I have a few things to iron out yet but overall this is pretty amazing and I can't believe I've been wasting my time trying to box the hard way. The berserker walked up to the kobold my warrior was fighting and whacked him right in his face at exactly the moment he was supposed to then told his merc to join in the fun shortly thereafter. Awesome, I am blown away at how fun this is! Automating the group seems to be its own fun and is adding to my excitement to play EQ. I need to figure out why it gave me a hard time on my warrior when i tried to reposition the fight or manage my own abilities like kick and such... i'll get there, just need to spend more time with the ini i'd imagine. I'm even okay with squinting at my TV from the couch for now.

As expected, work kept interrupting my important efforts to set it all up as per the startup videos and play with ini files so it took longer than it should have but I am pretty thrilled with what was accomplished so far. Thanks again everyone!

Tech - Hi, this might be an odd request...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back